[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

57 minutes ago, mrslee said:

I havent watch episode 16 yet though I already read dramabeans recap.

i am rooting for Sam jang as MW's child. But it seems other possibility is the shop owner grandchild.

now I am confused.

In episode 16 MW personally said he had a son so there is no way uri SM is his child. Plus his child can't be human even with the supernatural abilities. There was also no talk about reincarnation. Which brings us to a conclusion that the baby hasn't died despite all the attempts of Heavens at making MW believe otherwise. 

• Like 2

My knees went soft at how OG so deftly drugged that silly woman. Wow. So fifty shades, so Short. Hehe.

But they just turned into a puddle of goo at the vulnerability of OG doubled over in excruciating pain in her dream, pleading with JSM to make good on her promise to save him. 

It seems OG and JSM have become equals at this point, each with the same ability to affect the other. I haven’t seen ep16 but it seems that how SJ will be sacrificed to save the world is clear, planned and practiced. Elaborately so I say. But all SJ has to do is dare The Great Sage to defy her will and he would drop dead. 

Quite interesting to note that there were many SJs before this one and all fates ended the way the heavens intended. Sad and with what seems to be lonesome , lovesick guardians left behind who want to be eliminated by some heavenly weapon. Were they all recipients of some punishment I wonder that they were subject to pain of loss?

I need this story to be the exception because the guardian is too much of a charming hot-headed radical to have a melancholic want to die. 

• Like 8

Hmm. Well the writers have teasingly given us 3 suspects to theorize on who is MW’s child(so far). Two humans and a demon. Two males and a female. My gut says it’s SJ. If I’m wrong that’s ok too. Lol I’ll admit to it and dance around not naked, fully clothed. 

MW’s wife(Iron Fan) became a human, why not the child too? 

In my mind it makes sense why JSM has this so called punishment (being MW’s child) Pretty much a never ended  reincarnation of saving the world. But also being alone. But as loop holes are created this might change. 

Actually I also considered that the child’s soul could have been splintered and given to the three suspects.  So technically we all wouldn’t be wrong. Lol 

I think it’s interesting that ASN the priestess (who was sleeping for 1,000 yrs)  knew what a SJ was, and knew that MW’s child was alive. I don’t think this is a coincidence. She either was part of something in the past or was personally involved. Plus the calling of the dragon seems to be hmm rather fishy. Either it’s a deity or a big baddie. 

• Like 10

A question: do we know how many children's souls were taken for MW's wife in order to save her child?

Then we heard that NC only had 9 lives... until MW heard that he could take all the punishment and end her bad karma. What if she killed 9 children, then

- This would explain why Heavens only made it happen that MW heard the possibility of taking NC's punishment.

- Maybe the existence of several SJ could be seen as a clue that SJ has to sacrifice herself/himself for the same amount: if she killed children, this means that she killed boys and girls which would explain why the former SJ was a boy. JSM could be MW's child. Notice that JSM was blessed from the start: she saved humans from her birth. Hence this underlines her purity. However, her existence was tainted... if her mother was NC.

Maybe from the start, Heavens knew that ASN would come back and make a new king again.

Moreover, I am wondering if MW had more than one child... what if there were two children ? The one with all the evilness and the other so pure. I mean, because of the complex nature of the parents: a demon and a deity ... I can imagine that they create something new.

LEt me know what you think... @carolinedl @larus @USAFarmgirl @UnniSarah

• Like 12

7 hours ago, immortal_piglet said:

Omg killing SJ because she is possessed will be even sadder :(

honestly, they said whoever who eats SJ will gain great power right? Erm.. can’t OG “eat” her in another way? You know.. like the manga Black Bird :flushed:

My question is: can she be possessed now that she has gained powers? It would be interesting if she gained the power to control souls like ASN...

Ah I remember Black Bird! It's started so good and then got a bit too over the top for me... ha ha... But happy ending! They both survive and their child too.

I am not sure who is MW's child but SJ seems like the most likely as of now, and because it will bring an interesting twist to the story. I have been convinced since the beginning that MW will actually be a big help for OG and SM so he might sacrifice himself for his daugther.

That said, I agree with girlfriday at dramabeans - we need more action when it comes to the end of the world plot line. It's going to be four packed episodes!!

ETA: Ah, @bebebisous33, we posted at the same time. I find the possibility of having two kids really interesting. Then I would bet on SM and Kang , one good, one bad. It would almost be like Winter and Summer in a way. Or perhaps their soul splitted itself to represent two sides? The whole entreprise was to start with, quite binary: kill children in order to save another.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

JSM could be MW's child. Notice that JSM was blessed from the start: she saved humans from her birth. Hence this underlines her purity. However, her existence was tainted... 

I did not think of that but I am curious of this because there is a posibility that Ma-wang`s child might be alive.  I don`t know if they will go there, but I always wonder why Jin Seon-mi had those powers. 

I hope we`ll see more about Ma Wang and first love `s story. I wish they will be reunited in the end.

• Like 5

It's kind of funny how people are ignoring the facts wishing for SM to be MW's child. I mean it was clearly told that the baby is male. And it also does not go about reincarnation. The child stayed alive so his soul could not have been reincarnated in another *form* or gender. 

I agree it would make an interesting twist in the plot for SM being MW's daughter. Not to mention it would raise to a new level this cute love-hate relationship between MW&OG.  Yeah, I know it'd be hilarious!:lol:

But honestly even if the child is not a shop owner's *grandson* (though I still believe it's him) it can't be SM. I doubt that Hong sisters would make MW hungry for his own child's flesh & blood. That may be tragic in a way but more than that it would be sick and perverted.

As for the question whether the child is alive or not. He sure is alive. You can clearly see it from Soobori's face when MW was interrogating him about it.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Has ASN eaten too many humans such that Buja became an evil spirit and merged into one with ASN’s soul? 

When ASN was in JSM’s body in ep 15, han-joo was watching a video of KDS. She commented that he isn’t all that great. That felt like Buja’s feelings? When ASN returned to BJ’s body, she went to see BJ’s mom on her own free will (someone who ASN has no use of) and said “please understand, mom”. 

When Buja was an innocent zombie, she wanted to just disappear and doesn’t want revenge because it scares her. She doesn’t want to turn evil. 

So, now that Buja is evil, she would want revenge against KDS right? 

If her true intention is to call the dragons and make KDS the king, why would the catastrophe at the end be missiles attacking south korea? Why would a king want to destroy its own country? Is it because Buja wants to exact revenge on this entire world who have treated her so cruelly?

I hope PK will be the key to turn BJ into the same good zombie again, so that she can take over her own consciousness and stop the catastrophe. 

Though i’d much prefer if SJ will save the world instead so she can be a diety! And be with OG forever and travel the world in that blue mercedes 99-5050.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I don't see why people are getting impatient over others theorizing that JSM could be MW's child. Like @bebebisous33 said Mawang could have had twins and didnot know about it. We already know that MW and PIF were "broken up" when she had the kid/s and she had to take "dozens"(as per Bah-Doo recap? Or maybe Youtube translation, don't remember which exactly) of children souls to save her child/ren. Also heaven has proven itself to be very cagey with details. Maybe it is children and not just a child, we wouldn't know till the drama clearly  shows it to us. Until then it doesn't hurt to theorize and predict. That's the fun of it all.

What I am interested in right now is when the GGG will be taken off and by whom. So far only the owner of the GGG and ASN can do it. So will it be ASN on a deal with MW to eat up SJ? Or will it be JSM herself who will somehow remove the GGG?

I don't remember who theorized this but someone mentioned that SOG may die saving JSM, she will become a deity and will wait for his rebirth. Which he will take after a while; months, years, decades or centuries, who knows. The reason why I don't think that is possible is because SOG is not a simple deity. He is an immortal powerful being. Someone equal to heavens. Someone who can take on armies of demons(maybe deities too) and still win. I don't think such a being will be sacrificed for a mortal. Besides if JSM does not sacrifice her life for the world then she won't have a reason to become a deity. I honestly think SOG is too important to be sacrificed. Also, the heaven wants to see SOG in pain, excruciating pain. Death ends pain. So SOG dying is opposite of what heaven wants.

BTW I was rewatching some scenes and have a niggling feeling that the last words between our OTP may be "Am I still pretty?" We may also get a scene of JSM leaving a few pricey liquor bottles for SOG because I do believe that she will forsee her death and will make arrangements for him. She had also promised to buy him a bottle of liquor when his punishment was over. He has bought so many bottles for the same too. We may see a scene of him drinking away his anguish and calling upon her promise to come whenever he is scared, in pain or in danger. Just brace yourselves guys, the angst for our OTP is going to rip our hearts out.

• Like 10
  • Sad 4

I know my heart will be ripped to pieces but i don't really hate it. The angst is done really well in this drama as it doesn't drag out for too long.  The two leads acting are beyond awesome too...

The way OG held Sunmi hands to his forehead , it was such a poignant scene. The great sage equal to heaven is actually feeling scared of losing a mere human being and i love how Sunmi always have this eyes full of sadness, her eyes are always so teary and hopeful  but when she is as ASN, her eyes really changed into crazy lunatic eyes

i'm sure that Sunmi will know about the sword eventually and she will be the one to command it to come out. She won't be that selfish to forsake the world for her love ( see this Mawang nim???!!!!!). Moreover if her sacrifice can save the world and OG life. She  would be more willing to do so

i just hope before all this, they will let our otp get married first with at least one ep of full happines. I wanna see Sunmi using her power to defeat demons too... her breaking glasses was kinda cool

these two can become the most powerful couple 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, juju84 said:

It's kind of funny how people are ignoring the facts wishing for SM to be MW's child. I mean it was clearly told that the baby is male. And it also does not go about reincarnation. The child stayed alive so his soul could not have been reincarnated in another *form* or gender. 

I agree it would make an interesting twist in the plot for SM being MW's daughter. Not to mention it would raise to a new level this cute love-hate relationship between MW&OG.  Yeah, I know it'd be hilarious!:lol:

But honestly even if the child is not a shop owner's *grandson* (though I still believe it's him) it can't be SM. I doubt that Hong sisters would make MW hungry for his own child's flesh & blood. That may be tragic in a way but more than that it would be sick and perverted.

As for the question whether the child is alive or not. He sure is alive. You can clearly see it from Soobori's face when MW was interrogating him about it.

I think it would be interesting and make a lot more sense to the core story if SM turns out to be MW/Nachal's kid.... 

And it also makes sense and is interesting if KDS turns out to be MW/Nachal's kid - as in setting up something as far as MW going bad. There's some wonky things going on with that family which implies there's something far back behind them. But I'm not getting any demon spawn vibes from him, so probably not.

The core story goes back to what happened 1000 years ago, of which we have just been getting tiny pieces of information. 

MW and Nachal had been separated at the time that she was apparently pregnant with their kid. She was chased out of heaven and killed (her jumping off the cliff/clouds/whatever) and if pregnant at the time, it would explain why MW never asked whether she had saved the kid or not. 

Somebody in a prior post mentioned something about Nachal devouring children to save her child - and asked WHO those kids were and how exactly they saved Nachal's child.... <= Which I hope we find out and whether that's connected to everything else. o_O

1000 years ago, OG betrayed Nachal by failing to deliver her fan to MW. 

1000 years ago, OG might have done something to cause SG's death. And this is possibly why he was being punished. It doesn't really make sense that the heavens would punish him for failing to deliver the fan to MW (who wasn't a god). This means that he was already being punished when she was sentenced to death. 

1000 years ago, OG was betrayed by a human. <= ASN? Or her King????? 

1000 years ago, ASN saved SG by putting her in WG's body. 

1000 years ago, ASN was betrayed by the guy she was probably in love with and who she "called" a dragon for. Instead of marrying her, he killed her and locked her spirit up under the guardianship of SOMETHING (whatever was in that tree). She was a human being but apparently crazy powerful to the point that both gods and men were scared of her. 

1000 years ago, the heavens presumably began recycling the Sam-Jang fate in human beings.

A Sam-Jang is a very special human who literally is a King maker because of their very special blood + they apparently are the ideal vessel for a very big bad demon to take possession of and completely destroy the world. Or as they come into their powers. Presumably a demon/god cross (MW/Nachal kiddo) might have such an offspring who is reborn every so often. And each time that demon/god has to be put down. 

One scary thing about SM's newfound powers is they are out of control. She's doing stuff when upset. Which is "cool" right now, but she's probably capable of doing really bad stuff.... 

And BR told MW that the child is dead. He said it pretty quick, mind you which implies that there is something he was hiding...  mainly thought it occurs to me that the standard rule that the "gods" and demons are following is they cannot tell a lie. Even SOG is super careful about avoiding telling a lie even while tricking people (go back to EP 2 when he's asked twice about whether SM is his bride, he avoids answering rather than lying + he's gotten in trouble with SM for being honest to the point that he dodges more now vs telling hurtful truths or lying). So they are either throwing red herrings out there or distracting or dodging when it comes to situations where they do not want to tell the truth. 

The grandkid at the shop "could" be MW's kid... I guess? But the funny thing is his mannerisms remind me more of SOG. LOL. 

• Like 6

The signs are pointing towards the grandson being the child but honestly there's gonna be zero emotional impact, well atleast for me because we barely even saw the grandson and he and MW never even had any sort of meaningful interaction unless we're counting the time he had Sec Ma shut down his illegal street business lol

• Like 4

While I do agree that it's a nice plot twist, SM turning out to be MW's kid would be such a makjang. lol

I'm not sure if someone mentioned it already, but why would they cut directly to the grandson right after MW confronting SBR about his child? And then there is the thing with SBR sharing the macarons with him too. Or maybe these really are red herrings to throw us off?

I'm okay with angst as long as we get a happy ending. *prayer circle for otp to be happy* T_T

• Like 11

2 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

I don't see why people are getting impatient over others theorizing that JSM could be MW's child. Like @bebebisous33 said Mawang could have had twins and didnot know about it. We already know that MW and PIF were "broken up" when she had the kid/s and she had to take "dozens"(as per Bah-Doo recap? Or maybe Youtube translation, don't remember which exactly) of children souls to save her child/ren. Also heaven has proven itself to be very cagey with details. Maybe it is children and not just a child, we wouldn't know till the drama clearly  shows it to us. Until then it doesn't hurt to theorize and predict. That's the fun of it all.

What I am interested in right now is when the GGG will be taken off and by whom. So far only the owner of the GGG and ASN can do it. So will it be ASN on a deal with MW to eat up SJ? Or will it be JSM herself who will somehow remove the GGG?

I don't remember who theorized this but someone mentioned that SOG may die saving JSM, she will become a deity and will wait for his rebirth. Which he will take after a while; months, years, decades or centuries, who knows. The reason why I don't think that is possible is because SOG is not a simple deity. He is an immortal powerful being. Someone equal to heavens. Someone who can take on armies of demons(maybe deities too) and still win. I don't think such a being will be sacrificed for a mortal. Besides if JSM does not sacrifice her life for the world then she won't have a reason to become a deity. I honestly think SOG is too important to be sacrificed. Also, the heaven wants to see SOG in pain, excruciating pain. Death ends pain. So SOG dying is opposite of what heaven wants.

BTW I was rewatching some scenes and have a niggling feeling that the last words between our OTP may be "Am I still pretty?" We may also get a scene of JSM leaving a few pricey liquor bottles for SOG because I do believe that she will forsee her death and will make arrangements for him. She had also promised to buy him a bottle of liquor when his punishment was over. He has bought so many bottles for the same too. We may see a scene of him drinking away his anguish and calling upon her promise to come whenever he is scared, in pain or in danger. Just brace yourselves guys, the angst for our OTP is going to rip our hearts out.

I don’t want OG to die as well :( killing OG and making him reincarnate as a normal human is just... killing his entire personality. 

I rmb reading some of the articles before Hwayugi premiered, it was something along the lines of SOG was banished to the earth with his powers sealed, and SJ is the key to unlocking these powers. Maybe with SJ’s help, he is able to unlock all of his potential and stop the big boss.

Some of our chinggus here also theorized OG will receive the golden banded staff from alice, the son of the dragon king of the eastern seas. That is his iconic powerful weapon n would love it if hong sisters incorporates it in the last few eps :) 

in the original novel, he wiped his name, along with the names of other monkeys, from the book of life and death. So he can’t die right? :( 

Also, it will break the hearts of millions of fans. Does hong sisters want millions of samurai swords to be sent to their homes?!

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

" Red Boy put his hands together in front of his chest, unable to pull them apart; Red Boy, now with his arms immobilized, could do nothing other than lower his head in a bow of defeat"

it's so like shop owner's *grandson... he always hold his mobile phone and noding his head.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Well, after watching episode 15 fully subbed, I'm starting empathize with MW even more. His furious reactions and harsh words make much more sense to me now.

In her *dream world* ASN asked him if he really believed that NCN's child died. She told *Because her baby has died NCN committed a crime that resulted in her punishment. And to end this punishment MW bowed his head and endured Heaven's orders for a 1000 years. But is it true that the baby died?*

In other words ASN implied Heavens purposefully made NCN believe her child has died pushing her to commit *a severe crime* and later using her *punishment* as a way to tame MW (meaning that MW was becoming too powerful/troublesome for their liking).

Of course ASN is not someone to be fully trusted but if you think about it she never lied about the important things like that.

So for me it's no wonder this became the last straw for MW. The thought that all their sufferings were orchestrated by Heavens to make him their lap dog. And now seeing how they continue to play with OG & SM's lives it opened up old wounds for him.

He is on the path of war now but unfortunately too blinded by his rage to think about others. *They are all my enemies now*

I don't say this excuses his intention of hurting SJ (for now it's just *empty words* and let's hope it will remain at that) but I can understand his reasoning and the amount of betrayal he feels at the moment.

I really hope secretary Ma would be able to warn OG in time so he can beat some sense into his old friend. 'Cause these two are on the same boat. And should work together to fight against Heaven. 

They sure deserve some good kicking up there, don't you think?:wink::tongue:

• Like 8