[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

4 minutes ago, LSGLMH_88 said:

hi guys , i am new to this forum and I just happen to like LSG a lot... I was mostly a silent reader of all of your comments in all the forums and particularly in Hwayugii and it was so amazing to see so many amazing fans here... I keep reading all the comments here and it just makes my Day in the office.. you people are so amazing..

And now regarding this preview,

OG: Even in this moment as I’m looking at you, you’re getting prettier and prettier.

SM: What will we do? I like you so very much...

OG: For the moment, I’m going to be busy. Don’t be shocked by anything that I do.

SM: When I met this person, it was strange.

ASN: I’m going to try to make a child that a certain someone is waiting for so desperately.

Winter: I think that Sam Jang has seen future events,

OG: Find the location that Sam Jang says she saw.

First sentence ... “even in this moment”.. why would SOG say even in this moment? What he is referring?? does it mean that even after removing Geum Gang Go ...

***I am happy dancing****:D:D

Let me know what do you guys think..

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here, and look forward to your posts. :) 

I thought the line was just a reference to OG falling more and more in love with SM, that she’s literally becoming prettier to him right in front of his eyes. However, it would be even more meaningful if OG isn’t wearing the geumganggo when he says the line, however I don’t think the geumganggo will come off just yet. Though once SM realizes what the heavens had decreed OG must do, then I think she will take the geumganggo off, even if it means sacrificing her life for humanity and for OG.

@YourHighness .

Now talking about JSM being a deity. This is a WILD theory.

The past SJ's sacrificed their lives; yet they were never made into deities. Maybe @bebebisous33 theory on MW having twins is true? The peddler's grandson maybe JSM's brother. He calls her noona and if JSM is MW's daughter then she is by default half a deity due to her mom. Which would explain why after she sacrifices herself to save the world, she will be made into a deity. Also maybe the children got their mother's and father's genes? The daughter got deity genes but the son got the demon ones and hence needs training?

I like your idea very much. I had come to think about the existence of twins because of SF and WG. 1000 years ago, something bad happened and WG had give half of his body to his sister. Then your remark made me realize something: the white egret said that the lotus scent appeared after she met her guardian SOG. But she met MW the same day... so what if MW is somehow connected to her lotus scent? This could be a clue that MW will play a role later in her rescue, once he realizes that he has been wronged by ASN again.

So somehow I can't get rid of the feeling that what 1000 years ago happened is going to repeat but with a few changes so that the outcome will be different:

- First, the priestess is living in BJ's body, which means that there are two souls in the same body: BJ who embodies the qualities like purity, selflessness and kindness innocence and ASN the opposite (greed, resent, selfishness and evilness). Back then, ASN had nothing pure in herself... she wanted to be loved by someone powerful and got cheated. We see that PK is still able to move ASN's heart/soul, even if she hides it very well. In my opinion, BJ's purity (which was reinforced by SJ's blood: lotus) will have an impact on ASN at some point. Moreover, she is well aware of KDS's evilness and she does resent him: she even said that he would become a wicked king and this was not a compliment. From my point of view, she might resent Heavens for her situation. She was a powerful priestess and ended up locked up in a sarcophagus... I have the impression that her moves are directed against Heavens somehow... because why would she make another king? She knows that he is evil...

- If we say that history is repeating, then this means that 1000 years ago, the world was about to collapse as well. However, JSM is different from ASN, like I pointed out above. She is pure and she is meant to save the world hence I can not imagine that JSM won't be able to resist an evil demon living in her body.

- Third, the deities and demons like PK / SOG and MW have changed a lot. They are working more and more together so that I think that their team work might also play a role in their fight against KDS.

- So if the peddler's grandson is really JSM's brother, he will also play a part in defeating the evil. Notice that he was also there, when the ill omen jar broke. She was not alone back then. Then he is the one who gave her indirectly the death bell... we have to question ourselves if all this time, he didn't work for JSM without anyone knowing.   

• Like 11

Something random that I was thinking about. Jin Seon Mi’s name is actually a little funny because it’s a Miss Korea reference (the pageant, not necessarily the drama). 

Jin is what they call the winner of the pageant.

Seon is first runner up.

Mi is the second runner up.

I wonder what intent the Hong sisters may be trying to convey with JSM’s name. Whether it’s just a playful pop culture reference, or a something more to the effect that JSM is the only one to OG since she occupies all the winning positions of the contest? (Sorry, I know that’s a bit cheesy, but then again, so can the Hong Sisters writing be a bit cheesy.). Or that as SJ is a spiritual mantle, SM is the embodiment of the corporeal world?

Truthfully, not sure, but had been meaning to remark on JSM’s name for awhile now, so throwing it out there. @bebebisous33, perhaps you could speculate any deeper meaning, if any, to Jin Seon Mi’s name?

Moreover, if I'm not mistaken in ep 14, after MW took the hits for saving IF, he said that there are no more bad reincarnation for IF and hope that she reincarnated as FLOWER. @bebebisous33 @YourHighness .

4 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Something random that I was thinking about. Jin Seon Mi’s name is actually a little funny because it’s a Miss Korea reference (the pageant, not necessarily the drama). 

Jin is what they call the winner of the pageant.

Seon is first runner up.

Mi is the second runner up.

I wonder what intent the Hong sisters may be trying to convey with JSM’s name. Whether it’s just a playful pop culture reference, or a something more to the effect that JSM is the only one to OG since she occupies all the winning positions of the contest? (Sorry, I know that’s a bit cheesy, but then again, so can the Hong Sisters writing be a bit cheesy.). Or that as SJ is a spiritual mantle, SM is the embodiment of the corporeal world?

Truthfully, not sure, but had been meaning to remark on JSM’s name for awhile now, so throwing it out there. @bebebisous33, perhaps you could speculate any deeper meaning, if any, to Jin Seon Mi’s name?

If I'm not mistaken, in kdramabeans blog said that Jin Seon Mi in chinese characters means beautiful.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, deanne3004 said:

Moreover, if I'm not mistaken in ep 14, after MW took the hits for saving IF, he said that there are no more bad reincarnation for IF and hope that she reincarnated as FLOWER. @bebebisous33 @YourHighness .

If I'm not mistaken, in kdramabeans blog said that Jin Seon Mi in chinese characters means beautiful.

Oh, I don’t read any blogs, but I could see that being the Chinese characters for it. Still think that the Hong Sisters would just let a pop culture reference like this go without building further layers of meaning or jokes, but it could be a straight forward reference to SM being a beautiful person, I guess. Thanks for mentioning it. 

@deanne3004 @YourHighness . @stroppyse So we have for JSM:

- pageant, first runner and second runner --> seems to indicate that she is a winner ; this also underlines her beauty

- in chinese, beautiful. Here again, she is also associated to beauty.

However, we should perceive it as inner beauty: purity, innocence, kindness, selflessness aso.

Like I had pointed out before, the letters JS makes me think of Jesus Christ. This interpretation was reinforced after the last episode, where the birth of SJ was shown. She is destined to save the world by sacrificing herself, just like Jesus Christ in order to save people's souls (redeeming the sins). Notice that when Jesus Christ was born, people could see a huge star which led the three kings so that they could visit Mary and her new born.

By the way, remember that back then SOG failed to bring the Iron Fan to MW ... so if history is repeating, we have to imagine that this time MW appears at the right time because SOG did the right thing. To me, the timing played a huge role why MW couldn't save his loved one, why SOG got punished in that mountain... their actions in the past had a huge impact in the human world from my point of view. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Wow nice theory you have there....it would be great if Sunmi is related to Mawang somehow

and in the preview OG asked to find where Sunmi foresees another future

thencwe have a scene of Sunmi in OG's room looking at the ceiling where OG showed her stars before..

what did she see? I think she will see hersef being stabbed by OG at some point

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

@bebebisous33, I had thought that OG being imprisoned in Five Element Mountains was for something different that Iron Fan being punished and MW not being able to be with her in her time of need.

From MW and OG’s conversations, it seemed as if MW and IF had a falling out, but IF wanted to make up, and entrusted a token of her desire to make up to OG to deliver to MW. However, OG took his time making the delivery, and in the meantime, IF was punished for her sins and OG had been locked in Five Element Mountains, so MW wasn’t able to be with IF when her punishment was being handed down.

Otherwise, liked your post. Insightful, as always.

9 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

@bebebisous33, I had thought that OG being imprisoned in Five Element Mountains was for something different that Iron Fan being punished and MW not being able to be with her in her time of need.

From MW and OG’s conversations, it seemed as if MW and IF had a falling out, but IF wanted to make up, and entrusted a token of her desire to make up to OG to deliver to MW. However, OG took his time making the delivery, and in the meantime, IF was punished for her sins and OG had been locked in Five Element Mountains, so MW wasn’t able to be with IF when her punishment was being handed down.

Didn't MW say that he was the one who trapped SOG in the mountain ?  But if I am wrong, I wouldn't take words from MW or Heavens for face values. Heavens are often hiding information. What if from the start, Heavens had planned something and due to SOG's mistakes, something bad happened. 

Notice that SOG has two kind of punishments:

- being trapped in the mountain

- not allowed to drink any alcohol

Sure, if we use the novel JTTW, we know why... but we know that Hong sisters have changed different things.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

What if SM foresees that her future husband and kids this time? Hahahha... 

I don't know I just can't think it too hard for now. My brain is too tired to think all those ill-fated prophecy. Maybe the writers will go easy on us and shower us with SM's seeing her happy ending in that room???  

Ooh! Happy thoughts. I like them.

4 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Didn't MW say that he was the one who trapped SOG in the mountain ?  But if I am wrong, I wouldn't take words from MW or Heavens for face values. Heavens are often hiding information. What if from the start, Heavens had planned something and due to SOG's mistakes, something bad happened. 

Notice that SOG has two kind of punishments:

- being trapped in the mountain

- not allowed to drink any alcohol

Sure, if we use the novel JTTW, we know why... but we know that Hong sisters have changed different things.

True. The heavens are being tricky and not really forthcoming. So is MW. And the Hong Sisters are playing very fast and loose with the source material. :) 

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

This is they way I understand it, as well.  @bebebisous33 I like your theory of events repeating themselves from a 1000 years ago.  SOG was punished back then for interfering in the human world and from the preview he seems to be doing the same, but I believe it will yield a positive outcome based on his intentions and newly found empathy and compassion.  I really hope that SOG's "open" appearance in the human world will finally be the impetus for us to learn his full backstory.

If ASN is trying to "make" a child for MW from the dead, then that would force SBR to reveal the "truth".  It will be interesting to see what the "truth" really is. 

• Like 9

Just another byuntae thought comes out, how about after SM drunk, OG take SM home then the bed scene gonna happen *giggling* 

Imagine how jealous SM will, once OG has many fan girls because he is now expose to the world as handsome CEO. 

The theory JSM and the grandson are twins, it will be so interesting. Hope SBR will reveal the truth about MW child so that evil ASN can be killed by OG soon.

45 minutes ago, aunniek said:

SOG was punished back then for interfering in the human world and from the preview he seems to be doing the same, but I believe it will yield a positive outcome based on his intentions and newly found empathy and compassion.  I really hope that SOG's "open" appearance in the human world will finally be the impetus for us to learn his full backstory.

Sorry for edited your post. Maybe in the past OG interfere human world with supernatural power , make the fate of a human turns different from what heaven has written that is why he is being punishment. But now if OG interfere human world in very human way, i think heaven has no excuses to punish OG. Monkey is smart so he will not repeat the same mistake

• Like 6

@bebebisous33 Would MW be connected to the lotus scent when he's a Demon? A scary one from what SBR said. Demons are generally not associated with beautiful things like flowers. But could her lotus smell be because of PIF, a deity? I know we are really reaching and our theories are becoming more and more wild but I don't understand why else JSM was chosen as SJ since birth and not as a punishment for releasing SOG. She had a miserable life and was deliberately punished since her birth.  That cannot be just a coincidence. It has to be payback, atonement?

I am sure MW will help out JSM and SOG once ASN's plan is found out. If the writers intend to show MW as a deity in the end, then he has to play a huge role in stopping ASN and the ultimate evil somehow. ASN seems very narcissistic so it is possible that she blames the heavens for her imprisonment. Maybe this is why she wanted to gather power, as SJ and through SOG?

I don't know about BJ's purity. She may have gone by now or become corrupted due to all the humans that ASN fed her. I have a bad feeling that we may not see BJ again. She did say her goodbyes before she turned into ASN after all. Other than her mom, she has no goodbyes left and ASN did go and meet her mom so that's done too. I would like BJ to be herself and see her mom but chances of that happening seems slim.

About the evil entering JSM, I have this scenario where she will fight and come out for a few moments and implore SOG to stab and kill the evil to save the world. It's very dramatic but I think it's the only way SOG will stab her. Unless she asks, he will keep fighting and trying to find a way to destroy the evil without killing her. There may be a time limit to destroy the evil, if not done within that time frame, the evil will win. If the time limit is not given then SOG will just keep on fighting endlessly to save JSM.

@deanne3004 Thanks for the info. It seems such an apt name for JSM because she is beautiful inside(1, Seon) and out(2, Mi).

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

Wow nice theory you have there....it would be great if Sunmi is related to Mawang somehow

and in the preview OG asked to find where Sunmi foresees another future

thencwe have a scene of Sunmi in OG's room looking at the ceiling where OG showed her stars before..

what did she see? I think she will see hersef being stabbed by OG at some point

Yeah, I believe she will too but she will keep it to herself. I think MW will guilt her into removing the GGG asking if it would be fair for the Monkey King to die for a mere mortal with limited years. Or he will have ASN remove it with trickery. Of course MW will be acting on either killing and eating her himself or he will intend for her to be fed to his "fake dragon son". Since the GGG is still on, SOG hurting her is an impossibility so that foresight won't come until the GGG is off.

BTW guys, just a question, does ASN know that her gift of foresight has gone to JSM too? I am guessing not or she would be more vigilant and wary of being found out?

• Like 8

Hello..im a bit new in this forum and new to this kdrama thanks to hwayugi.and  i was mostly a silent reader to all great comment. 

sorry if i was wrong.

did MW said that he hope IF reincarnated as a Flower.

wut if they actually have a twin daughters. JSM n ASN?

since they both have scent of flower. Rose and Lotus.

myb JSM happen to be from the IF(pure) n ASN (evil) happen to be from MW.

im just wild guessing.. 

update...

since the two of them have to die in the end. 

Edited by yatishaha
  • Like 6

My miscellaneous collection of thoughts since watching 16, which has filled me with such a heavy grimness ever since watching. :(

I don't think it's an accident that ASN ended up in BuJa's body - as SamJang already pointed out, both of them were awoken by SamJang's blood. When BuJa was awoken, the blood-butterfly created a symbol on her chest, right? And wasn't that the same symbol that glowed right when ASN possessed her body? I'm also not sure ASN can possess any other bodies without using her censer so she probably had no choice but to go back into BuJa's?

I had a question though - the only way Oh Gong was able to get into SunMi's dream was because he had the ring to lead him. So how was MaWang able to get into ASN's dream? (Frankly, I still don't understand why Frosty didn't smash it like he was supposed to, but I'm glad he didn't of course. And why didn't BuJa wake up when ASN left her body unless she really is gone and it's just her memories affecting ASN? :(  )

I'm very worried about KDS & ASN's plans for SunMi. At least she knows he's bad news now and will be distrusting of him. We've been thrown so many potential red herrings, it's hard to sift through what might be coming: 
1) Oh Gong was betrayed by a human at some point in the past resulting in his imprisonment in the Five Element Mountain 
2) SunMi promising Oh Gong he can stab her if she ever betrays him 
3) ASN's ability to change the death-bell fate 
4) MaWang's child and how that can possibly affect what's coming
5) Innocent BuJa possibly still being alive buried underneath ASN's soul
6) This baby that possibly looks like OG but isn't born yet
7) The way SM rewound time and changed the future when she dropped the glass cup
8) I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right this moment...

As for the Patriarch - he used to say he had no idea which one was fated to die but either he found out on one of his recent trips to heaven or he was lying all along - because he sure knows what that sword is intended for now. I don't trust him at all anymore and really dislike the heavenly realm at the moment. I hope something happens later that reveals this was all an elaborate plan to break the death cycle and give them a happy ending (& maybe a final test for MW?) - because having a drama's message be that the heavens suck doesn't seem like a very good message. lol

I'm not sure if that baby was just bait or something from the future. How could it be OG & SM's future baby if the previous Guardian was so concerned for their upcoming sad fate? If she knew it was going to work out, she wouldn't be so grim telling OG to take good care of his SJ and happy for him having the GGG to lessen his pain when he kills her. (Unless he's the one going to die and she's already pregnant when he does.)

I have no idea if Oh Gong is going to successfully defy fate and prevent either of them from being stabbed or dying. Maybe we'll see everything go badly and then SunMi will use her new abilities to change what happens - to rewind time and redo it  (sort of like the ending of Break Dawn 2?).  I do believe we will get some kind of happy ending - the Hong sisters *always* give happy endings (except Hong Gil Dong) but they usually make it a sad ending with a separation and then change it to happy at the last minute. Plus that "happy ending" necklace feels like a reassurance to us viewers. Right? It better be! :unsure:

So my prediction - the GGG doesn't comes off until some point during the big, final confrontation. And afterwards OG leaves/disappears (either he "dies" and then gets to come back via heavenly reasons, or he leaves to get/give some space and have some time pass to make sure the feelings are real) and SunMi spends a year alone (possibly having OG's baby during this time). And then OG shows up, saying he missed her. She asks, "Am I pretty?" and he says, "Yeppo.  Saranghanika." 

As for the preview - I wonder is ASN is going to make another zombie and pass it off as MW son - or if she's going to make a zombie and put KDS's soul IN the body... Afterall, didn't she say KDS needs to possess SM?

• Like 13

@YourHighness . 

Would MW be connected to the lotus scent when he's a Demon? A scary one from what SBR said. Demons are generally not associated with beautiful things like flowers. But could her lotus smell be because of PIF, a deity? I know we are really reaching and our theories are becoming more and more wild but I don't understand why else JSM was chosen as SJ since birth and not as a punishment for releasing SOG. She had a miserable life and was deliberately punished since her birth.  That cannot be just a coincidence. It has to be payback, atonement?

Your observation made me think: You are right to question how he could be connected to lotus blood due to his nature. MW might be a demon, yet he is capable of feeling empathy and love. What caught my attention is his change of behaviour, once he saw the baby and how he doted on him. So there is something pure in MW, but due to his nature, since he is selfish and manipulative, he has not been able to let people see that side of him. Only secretary Ma knows MW's true personality. When I mentioned that maybe SJ's blood changed its scent after meeting MW, it could be connected to her affiliation. His blood recognized her but he didn't. if MJS is his daughter, she might have received the purity from both of her parents. I know that these are pure speculations but let us not forget that we were once told,

1. MJS became SJ because she released SOG : a punishment

2. then later, we heard that she was SJ from her birth and she is blessed.

The White Egret assumed that her scent changed after meeting SOG, her guardian... but like I said, she met MW before!!

Why this idea? IT is because I am expecting that MW will help SJ in the end. Let us not forget that in the opening sequence, we are shown three statues next to each other : all three deities which seems to indicate the ending of the story.

• Like 15

Song Jong Ho And Lee Se Young Are Plotting Something Together In “Hwayugi”

Song-Jong-Ho-Lee-Se-Young-1-e15191839099

Song Jong Ho and Lee Se Young are plotting something new together in the latest “Hwayugi” stills.

The two are currently appearing in tvN’s fantasy romance “Hwayugi.” Song Jong Ho plays Hankook University’s sociology professor Kang Dae Sung, a handsome man who appears to be gentle, and a strong contender for the upcoming presidential election. Lee Se Young plays the dual role of Jin Bu Ja, a zombie brought back to life by Sam Jang’s (played by Oh Yeon Seo) blood, as well as the priestess Ah Sa Nyeo, who served a king but was put under a thousand-year-old seal, only to be recently revived in Jin Bu Ja’s body.

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/20/song-jong-ho-lee-se-young-plotting-something-together-hwayugi/

“Hwayugi” Cast Can’t Stop Adoring Baby Behind The Scenes

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo-1.jpg

The cast of “Hwayugi” hang out with the most recent addition to their cast, a baby!

The making video starts off with our favorite ordinary human, Lee Han Joo (played by Kim Sung Oh). The real estate agency employee tries to wake the sleeping baby, in the scene, but fails. He is then interviewed by a staff member, where he reveals, “I personally believe in aliens, so although demons aren’t aliens, they could exist, right?” He also picks Jin Sun Mi’s ability to see visions of the future as an ability he would want and explains, “I’d buy a lottery ticket, win, and then live life while having fun.”

Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo are the next two actors seen with the baby, but unlike the others, they don’t film scenes with the baby, but take care of the child instead. The two are waiting behind-the-scenes, and are adorable as they soothe the crying baby.

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/20/hwayugi-cast-cant-stop-adoring-baby-behind-scenes/

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So crazy question.... looking up Princess Iron Fan on wiki, there's mention of a "Red Boy" (lol at the name) who does battle against OG's character over the Sam Jang character (it's not clear whether Red Boy took Sam Jang hostage or what). 

Red Boy has major league fire powers and almost kills OG's character, forcing OG's character to ask for help from a goddess of compassion/kindness/mercy (Guan Yin) who was born of the lotus. And/or is frequently shown standing on a dragon or sitting on a lotus.   

The crazy question is - brush away all the speculation about SM being MW's kid, what if the writers actually stick closer to the original story? Will we see a Red Boy????? o_O 

Other than that - lotus = symbol for purity and reincarnation. Which probably is troubling to those hoping for a bed scene + that SM doesn't get killed... :) 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, tweets said:

So crazy question.... looking up Princess Iron Fan on wiki, there's mention of a "Red Boy" (lol at the name) who does battle against OG's character over the Sam Jang character (it's not clear whether Red Boy took Sam Jang hostage or what). 

Red Boy has major league fire powers and almost kills OG's character, forcing OG's character to ask for help from a goddess of compassion/kindness/mercy (Guan Yin) who was born of the lotus. And/or is frequently shown standing on a dragon or sitting on a lotus.   

The crazy question is - brush away all the speculation about SM being MW's kid, what if the writers actually stick closer to the original story? Will we see a Red Boy????? o_O 

Other than that - lotus = symbol for purity and reincarnation. Which probably is troubling to those hoping for a bed scene + that SM doesn't get killed... :) 

Oooh!!! I found the wiki - very, very interesting! 

• Like 5