Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

You guys really are awesome... all the theories and guesses are logical & make sense.. if only i could quote all previous replies that made me go 'aahhh...' and 'ooohhh...' :lol: there would be plenty.

Watched the raw and the bahdoo recap. We owe so much to these kind people. Bless you, really. 

And speaking of theories & guesses, here are mine :

1. Prev SJ was a male and truly MW's son. Protector was a female. Somehow related with JSM. Her dad probably?? Or even wilder thought, the protector is JSM's mom?

2. SJ reincarnated in JSM's soul. Thus making her SJ by birth and by fate. thus supporting the theory of Hellish Duo KDS-ASN and Heavenly Duo 50-SJ.

3. Aeryeong and Saryeong IMO will always come as a unit. If you love someone deeply, the Love bell. When one died, the other would follow. Hence, Death bell. Yaaahhh... if only it was that simple...

My fave scenes from 15 :

1. Crazy ASN threatening 50. His tears-brimmed eyes.... i can feel his pain and fear to watch SM bleed as in that would be his personal hell.

2. The ending scene when our OTP hold hands. Wish someone has the pic of it..

OYS is a great actress. She switched easily from JSM to ASN in her office whe  she showed 50 she knows stuff about JSM's life.

I am in LOVE with the pt.8 OST and seriously... this drama kinda messed my brain in a good way.. thank God we got ep.16 2mrrw. Or is it going to be another beginning of a week full with horrendous waiting????

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Wotad said:

look in youtube comment someone translated. 

I will miss our wonderful summer fairy - and yes - she was beautiful and I can understand the Brother who just wanted to rescue her and made a huge sacrifice to do that for years.

How sad - the Brother was never really able I fear to touch his sister - opposite elements.

Wahhh - give me back the summer fairy...

• Like 7

The fact that the preview shows she didn't remove the GGG means it'll probably be removed tomorrow making us suffer all week

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

13 minutes ago, ukeindo19 said:

You guys really are awesome... all the theories and guesses are logical & make sense.. if only i could quote all previous replies that made me go 'aahhh...' and 'ooohhh...' :lol: there would be plenty.

Watched the raw and the bahdoo recap. We owe so much to these kind people. Bless you, really. 

And speaking of theories & guesses, here are mine :

1. Prev SJ was a male and truly MW's son. Protector was a female. Somehow related with JSM. Her dad probably?? Or even wilder thought, the protector is JSM's mom?

2. SJ reincarnated in JSM's soul. Thus making her SJ by birth and by fate. thus supporting the theory of Hellish Duo KDS-ASN and Heavenly Duo 50-SJ.

3. Aeryeong and Saryeong IMO will always come as a unit. If you love someone deeply, the Love bell. When one died, the other would follow. Hence, Death bell. Yaaahhh... if only it was that simple...

My fave scenes from 15 :

1. Crazy ASN threatening 50. His tears-brimmed eyes.... i can feel his pain and fear to watch SM bleed as in that would be his personal hell.

2. The ending scene when our OTP hold hands. Wish someone has the pic of it..

OYS is a great actress. She switched easily from JSM to ASN in her office whe  she showed 50 she knows stuff about JSM's life.

I am in LOVE with the pt.8 OST and seriously... this drama kinda messed my brain in a good way.. thank God we got ep.16 2mrrw. Or is it going to be another beginning of a week full with horrendous waiting????

bcy6ed3v.png

gxa4wubg.png

Spoiler

wunadvyj.png

tnheo6hv.png

Your wish was granted! :D

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Liting1 said:

So the protector of the previous SJ's is still alive? She lived that long? MW's child is a boy then?

Sorry to edit your post!

I may have missed this bit but how was it established that MW's child is a son?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aprilx said:

Sorry to edit your post!

I may have missed this bit but how was it established that MW's child is a son?

As far as I know in korean it is the same word for male and female sometimes - correct me please if I am wrong. So i guess its still open if it is a boy or a girl. But I know that part often became tricky in translations.

I forgot to say something. I guess this was the first time I saw OG going to sleep and beeing tired - so it was really very exausting or he is listening well. But he was really in pain and had a terrible time to endure missing her and needed to play nice.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

As far as I know in korean it is the same word for male and female sometimes - correct me please if I am wrong. So i guess its still open if it is a boy or a girl. But I know that part often became tricky in translations.

I forgot to say something. I guess this was the first time I saw OG going to sleep and beeing tired - so it was really very exausting or he is listening well. But he was really in pain and had a terrible time to endure missing her and needed to play nice.

Thank you! I found the post that suggested it might be a male. But if it's still open as to whether it's son/daughter it'll be interesting how this plotline develops.

At first when I read that MW's child is a son my immediate thought is ASN will mislead MW into thinking that the Candidate/Kang Dae-sung is his son so that MW will help him. Part of her twisted plan to create havoc for the world! 

It also finally made sense to me why MW didn't go searching for his child.. If he has been made to believe he/she is dead. 

Strange also that the previous protector to previous SJ is only introduced now. Why only now? And if she's immortal & protector, I hope she's not just a messenger now but will be useful character. Oh dear writers, please don't introduce characters just for the sake of getting different actors/actresses in! 

:wacko::huh:

This came to me just: ASN's reason for taking over SJM's body was cos BJ's a zombie and she can't have her full power as the priestess. Of course she also desires SOG but she's a priestess with bad intentions. Yet her first few tasks after taking over SJM's body was to seduce SOG and to go shopping. Ermmm... Can't really figure her out!! 

Edited by aprilx
Additional thought abt ASN
  • Like 7

As for the male-female question in Korean. It's not that it's the same word; there are different pronouns for "he" and "she". The thing is, in Korean, you often ommitt the pronoun. Like if you are speaking and saying that you ate, you won't use "I" because you are the one uttering that statement so people use context to determine that you are the one who ate. The other thing is that you often use other names to refer to people, like Teacher, Writer, Younger Sibling, etc. Those are gender neutral and can refer to both women and men...

1 hour ago, ukeindo19 said:

About LSG's sexy hands... we need another thread specifically to start gushing about it. Stat. :D

Count me in!! he he... :wink:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

hmm.. maybe the voice of a female in the preview of eps 16 is the voice of the protector/goddess that have task from heaven to end MW child life with the sword  ( just like in the snow white story ) she said you, "don't be like me" maybe she is referring to her self ,she failed carrying that task.... :ph34r: now i dont have the heart to write whose going to kill who... the black bell rings ...:dissapointed:

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, miramara said:

hmm.. maybe the voice of a female in the preview of eps 16 is the voice of the protector/goddess that have task from heaven to end MW child life with the sword  ( just like in the snow white story ) she said you, "don't be like me" maybe she is referring to her self ,she failed carrying that task.... :ph34r: now i dont have the heart to write whose going to kill who... the black bell rings ...:dissapointed:

If either of them kill the other ill be sad as richard simmons , please Drama gods dont make all ending's depressing. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wotad said:

If either of them kill the other ill be sad as richard simmons , please Drama gods dont make all ending's depressing. 

cheer' the Monkey King always have a way to handle things and heaven ... just hope will be forgiving ^_^

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, aprilx said:

Thank you! I found the post that suggested it might be a male. But if it's still open as to whether it's son/daughter it'll be interesting how this plotline develops.

At first when I read that MW's child is a son my immediate thought is ASN will mislead MW into thinking that the Candidate/Kang Dae-sung is his son so that MW will help him. Part of her twisted plan to create havoc for the world! 

It also finally made sense to me why MW didn't go searching for his child.. If he has been made to believe he/she is dead. 

Strange also that the previous protector to previous SJ is only introduced now. Why only now? And if she's immortal & protector, I hope she's not just a messenger now but will be useful character. Oh dear writers, please don't introduce characters just for the sake of getting different actors/actresses in! 

:wacko::huh:

This came to me just: ASN's reason for taking over SJM's body was cos BJ's a zombie and she can't have her full power as the priestess. Of course she also desires SOG but she's a priestess with bad intentions. Yet her first few tasks after taking over SJM's body was to seduce SOG and to go shopping. Ermmm... Can't really figure her out!! 

I think your idea about ASN telling MW the Candidate is his obviously reborn child makes sense whether or not the child is a boy or a girl. MW has proved time and time again he is ripe for conning when it comes to anything associated with Nachal. Honestly, every one of these monsters and demi-gods have shown themselves to be this way, but in MW's case, his actions tend to kickstart larger story actions. Sending SM into OG's mystical prison... giving SM the GGG... awakening ASN, then agreeing to ASN's plan, etc. Since this seems to be the purpose of his story, it makes a scary sense to have ASN convince MW the Candidate is his in order to raise her dragon and crown her chosen king with relative breathing room. 

The sudden appearance of the protector might be linked to the sword we see in the preview. Perhaps the sword's appearance is a sign to this still living Sam Jang protector that another Sam Jang has been called and the protector wants to impart some wisdom?  Whatever the case, I am interested in knowing about what it all entails and how deep Heavens' games go. 

LOL, over ASN's priorities.  Let's keep in mind she also changed BJ's wardrobe, hair and makeup as soon as possible, too.  She is a consummate fashionista. I would imagine being able to enchant and possess souls, yet never have the real love and real devotion would be quite frustrating for ASN. Might explain why she's obsessed with having OG - he's powerful, bound to love the GGG owner and has shown himself to be quite devoted. I guess I can't blame her for wanting to seduce OG... oh wait, I can because it was gross. The chemistry is real, don't get me wrong, but all enjoyment was doused seeing OG's stifled reactions. Our poor monkey was tortured, scared, angry and full of loathing; he hated every moment so much. What was delicious was his palpable longing and fear for JSM. LSG and OYS really played so well against each other as they bounced from enemies to lovers.  Fantastic work! 

Maintaining a zombie body is hard work, I know I forgot how many energy balls it took just to keep BJ this side of functional, let alone lively and energetic. ASN was apparently using a lot of her might to do that on her own and still had to supplement by eating living flesh in order to maintain even a tenth of her powers.  No wonder she felt unleashed in SM's body only to discover that being a modern human with obligations is also quite energy draining, :lol: , if in a different sense. Maybe it's just me but I thought we saw ASN fully relaxed; she thought she had won, discovering OG knew she wasn't SM was a setback but she still felt she had the upperhand as she demonstrated in the glass bottle scene.  Brilliant, brilliant scene by the way.  It really illustrated how she is, despite her protests, very much like the bookseller - a very evil spirit.  Playing with lives, moving souls around like game pieces, it was really quite sick. This and dragon-raising/crowning a king is her nature. 

• Like 12

Drumrollllllll.......

Hwayugi Funny, Firey Fill-In-the-Blanks, Round 2!

What the Game Is And How To Play:

Spoiler

What it is:

Ever tried to run a piece of Korean text about your beloved drama through Google Translate, and come up with something absolutely absurd? This is a game that mimics that, but you get to create the absurdity. :D

How the game works:

-The game host (for now that's me, Zelda) selects a short piece of text, such as a text preview, song lyrics, or a short scene from the drama, and then prepares a word list for you to fill out without knowing what the short piece of text is about.

-PM your filled out word list to @Zelda with a capital "Z". (Please note: @zelda with a lowercase "z" is a different user.) Submissions are accepted until Tuesday at 22hrs/10pm KST.

-The game host will insert your chosen words into the piece of text, and one to two days later, everyone's custom Fill-In-the-Blanks text will be posted in this thread for us to laugh about together. :D

Word examples:

Get inspiration from Kdrama memes! (Non-Kdrama related words are welcome too!)

Nouns: ajummah, wife, husband, fauxcest, truck, model, snack, subtitles, bowl, episode, extension, shower scenes, bias, military, abs, etc.

Nouns describing a person: ajummah, wife, husband, oppa, noona, omma, appa, halmoni, harubji, second lead, main lead, serial killers, villains, gangsters, teacher, secretary, driver, cook, housekeeper, etc.

Verb: read, want, feel, see, need, experience, watch, face palm, learn, sing, dance, cry, laugh, sleep, snore, tickle, cook, etc.

Adjective: hungry, surprised, amazing, tragic, funny, confusing, passionate, sad, happy, pink, fluffy, etc.

Terms of endearment: Yeobo, Chagiya, Oppa, Dear, etc.

Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Yoo Seung-ho, Suzy, Park Shin-hye, Ji Sung, etc.

Tag on a reaction phrase for extra laughs! (optional):

Got a great reaction phrase to watching your favorite Kdrama? If the word list asks for a reaction phrase, feel free to write a full sentence or two. Will it match the text or will it not? Enjoy this mini-game of chance! :wink:

Examples:

"No, please don't do this to me!"

"Feeling so hungry. Should I also get a subway?"

"I am in love with Oppa."

"How can there not be a shower scene when Oppa is sad!?"

"Of course, the second lead loves her. That's his job!"

"I want to squeal over the kiss, but my mom is watching the drama with me."

(Feel free to pick from the above examples or come up with your own words!)

Example of a filled in list:

Spoiler

Noun: subtitles
Verb: face palm
Noun (describing a person): secretary
Noun: extension
Noun: husband
Verb: dance
Adjective: passionate
Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Jang Na-ra
Verb: sing

Reaction phrase (optional): "Feeling so hungry. Should I also get a subway?"

Credit goes to Lmangla for coming up with so many examples and the reaction phrase idea and to the original Mad Libs for inspiring this game.

Without further ado, this week's word lists!

(Feel free to fill out both lists or to only pick one!)

List 1

Noun:
Verb:
Noun:
Noun:
Adjective:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:
Verb:

List 2 

Verb:
Verb:
Noun:
Noun:
Adjective:
Noun:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:

PM your filled out word list to @Zelda with a capital "Z". (Please note: @zelda with a lowercase "z" is a different user.) Submissions are accepted until Tuesday at 22hrs/10pm KST.

Missed last weekend's game and want to know how it ended? The Round 1 Results can be read Here.

Tagging: @stargazer187 @rocat @chunkyung_8690 @Anybody else who wants to join in on the fun! @Lmangla

• Like 10

4 hours ago, maria_m2me said:

ASN got the kiss in the bed.... But I need that kind of hot kiss in bed between SOG and JSM

Heol !!..... and that was a forced kiss.

Well well..  where is that Chill Gong brother when we need him... can't he pretend the kiss instead of OG.

I love OhYeonSeo's acting, superb! When ASN said: "Nega Samjang-iya.."!!    - yes she is :D

• Like 13

So... anyone placing bets on who stops SM from removing the bracelet this time? :)

And then who is the sword for? 

Funny thing to add... with Korean dramas, the first lead male and/or female only kiss the people they will end up with. So I had this in my head going into ep 15 with all the excitement over the still pics and glimpse of a bed scene. And uh, yeah. was thinking that it was not likely that anything would happen between OG and AS in this episode. 

Was gratified to see OG was faithful and apparently the GGG did not work OR AS didn't know how to use it in order to command him to do anything for her. And based on the last 2-3 episodes, "marriage" and "wedding" seemed to be a euphemism for doing it.... and she was kinda chasing him through 1/2 the episode and about insisting on sleeping with him.... 

Still was a funny thing in that they broke that "only kiss the one true love" trope with OG kissing AS in this episode. Then again, maybe they didn't since it was still SM's body.... :D 

Also, maybe the writers made a mistake and/or this episode was intended to show that GGG isn't actually compelling the wearer to be madly in love with the other person (ie that the GGG is just sharpening the existing emotions of the wearer). Since he was revolted by AS in SM's body. And you could tell that he loathed her touch in this episode - which is a far cry from his thing about finding everything about SM to be beautiful because he loves her because of GGG.

• Like 8

The scene where summer fairy disappears is absolutely heart breaking.. the tears in frosty’s eyes.. when he called out to her.. when she hugged him :’( 

U can also see the sadness in OG’s eyes. He is afterall on very good terms with summer fairy, frequently visiting the bar even though he couldn’t drink alcohol. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

Wow! There is so much on this thread that I have to go back and read!

I didn't do any rage screaming today, though i should have when the gods let ASY escape yet again. I will forgive it though if ASY is finally gone after tomorrow.

Here are my guesses as to who the baby is:

1. Seon-mi

2. The devil high school kid from the shop

3. The candidate

4. Jonathan (mwah ha ha ha)

5. Some random person we haven't met yet.

I think it would be the best if Seon-mi was the baby. That would provide the most stakes and WTF moments. Can you imagine how hilarious it would be if OG was in love with MW's child? I am laughing just thinking about it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 15

I hope sunmi is the baby too so it will teach Mawang some lessons. He is so easily swayed. He should have listened to his loyal secretary tsk

the chemistry btw SOG and JSM is just so pure and sweet. He treats her so preciously but i have to admit SOG and ASN in JSM body  chemistry is so hot ...... 

i wonder when can we get their wedding? Is the wedding dress that Sec Ma showed to ASN the same as the one that Oh Yeon Seo's wearing on her Weibo update?

• Like 13