[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

9 hours ago, tweets said:

Random thought.... the doctor was the previous guardian to the previous SJ. 

And it seems that after she killed the previous SJ, she later on was given charge of the next SJ. 

Meaning the flashback scenes with her taking care of baby SM. 

So makes me think that the baby that just randomly showed up for OG might be the next SJ.

When the doctor said it wasn't time yet... maybe she meant that the baby shouldn't have shown up until after OG had killed SJ???

The doctor was the protector to the previous SJ, but she was not given charge of SM who had been born as SJ. She just recognized upon seeing SM's mother that SM was special and would be someone who saved the world, and of course, as a doctor, she delivered SM. Rather, SM was taken care of by her grandmother throughout her childhood.

OG is SM's designated protector. It just took some time and the geumganggo for him to show up and assume the role.

However, I also wonder whether the next baby is the next SJ, or perhaps SM and OG's baby.   I don't think the doctor may herself know the details. I think the doctor just meant that the baby had had to make a trip before the baby was scheduled to be born. I didn't think there was any more meaning to her words than that.

5 hours ago, juju84 said:

Who knows maybe MW was told that his child's soul won't be reincarnated as a punishment for NCN  stealing other babies' souls to cure hers.

MW had been told that his baby had died, i.e. that Iron Fan had failed to save him despite stealing the souls of human children. It never occurred to him to question that. In episode 16, he asks SB again whether his child had definitely died, and SB had flat out said that the baby had died. Now that the idea has been planted into MW's head and he knows that the heavens don't reveal everything anyway and may even obfuscate things, he can't shake the idea that his child is alive.

5 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Also, why do I get a feeling that MW will make a deal with ASN to get SOG's GGG out. I don't think the GGG will remain on his hand till the stabbing occurs.

I also think that the geumganggo will be removed from OG's wrist before the final confrontation, though it will be in heavens' interest that the geumganggo stay on OG until he kills SM. As far as everyone else is concerned, the only reason that OG is in thrall to SM is the geumganggo, so they want him to stay by SM's side until he has to kill her. However, I wondered whether SM either by herself or at OG's request will remove the geumganggo to see how OG truly feels about her. All speculation though, at least until the next episode. :)

27 minutes ago, aprilx said:

This is what I am afraid of, that SJM will foresee that “inevitable fate” and just accept it when that wasn’t decided by her. She needs to fight back, fight alongside SOG since he’s already prepared to take on the whole of the spiritual realm to prevent this fate. But her characteristic is such that she’s willing to spare others pain blah blah blah. She’s noble, i will give her that, but she’s also smart. I think she needs to have that fighting spirit! Use her new powers and fight! 

There are many ways to skin a cat, and just because one way worked before, doesn’t mean it will have to be the same way over and over again. I don’t buy that each time there’s a catastrophic future, someone has to be given the fate of SJ and just die. And its always because that someone who did something probably to offend the heavenly realms and therefore, will have to die after experiencing love, friendship and all.  

Maybe that’s why the old protector showed up. The old protector followed the path that the spiritual realm decided, and therefore, became so alone. I hope SOG, SJM, WM and all the deities wannabe or ex-deities will fight together. 

Me too, i'm scared of her ability to see the future will resulted to her finding the sword.

but it's not about fighting the fate and heaven anymore. If the world is at stake, would she just choose herself and let the world be destroyed? Of course not...

i hope they will get to get married and enjoy for a moment before this ultimate heartbreak

lmao did i gain sunmi's power or what? I expected for this article tovbe written with this title and the same haters comments. :D:D:D

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/02/18/hwayugi-episode-15-drops-huge-ratings-3-586-narrative-loses-steam/#comment-520968

• Like 4

Another scene translation, when OG takes the baby he found in his garden and takes it along to MW's for a chat.

MW: Did you make a baby and give birth in one night?
OG: I told you that it wasn’t like that! A white stork left the baby in the garden at Seuramdong.
MW: However, this baby… why? Why does he look like you?
OG: Does that make sense? How can it happen in one night? And, also, because of the medicine that I shared with Ah Sa Nyeo, I just kept sleeping.
MW: Oh. Tsk. Tsk.
OG: Oh right! What happened to her?
MW: Ahh, Ah Sa Nyeo, I lost her.
OG: You lost her? Ma Wang did? How did that happen?
MW: Oh, I’ve become a lot weaker.
OG: Are you that badly off?
MW: That’s right. I still have some spasms left still. And my flesh…oh, it’s so cold. Now, I’m just a spiritless cow.
OG: I’ll go and catch her. Ma Wang, you should rest until you’re completely recovered. (gets up) You’re going to get all better, so don’t worry. (pats MW’s shoulder then leaves)
MW: (notices the baby) Oh, the baby… Hey, you have to take the baby with you! Hey! What am I supposed to do with this baby…? He always brings over troublesome things and entrusts them to me! Huh? Oh, really!
Ma: If Son Oh Gong actually captures Ah Sa Nyeo, then he’ll find out that you deliberately let her go.

(flashback) ASN/BJ: Has the child that Iron Fan bore really died?

MW: Until I’ve determined whether Ah Sa Nyeo’s words were true, I’m going to keep her alive.
Ma: She has just thrown a deliberate pointless suspicion to a susceptible Ma Wang.
MW: The suspicion could be real as well, though. Even if it was only once, the child could have stayed alive. Until the suspicion has been resolved, I won’t believe anyone.
Ma: Even the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven?
MW: Yes, even that rascal. I have to be suspicious of everyone. (baby gurgles, so MW addresses the baby) You, too. Did you come to try to trick me? How dare you try to put me under your spell with that face?! But, you have no chance of that! I’m Ma Wang! (pointing at the baby who grabs his finger) Oh. Coochy-coo. Oh, you grabbed my hand? Oh, how pretty! Hey, Secretary Ma, go and buy some rattles. Whatever the baby wants, I’m going to give the baby everything. Aigoo, the baby is smiling. Aigoo, is that right? (to Sec. Ma) What are you doing, go quickly and buy them! (babytalking to the baby) Aigoo, aigoo, so pretty.

Please note that they never actually indicate whether the baby is a boy or a girl, though the baby seems like a boy to me.

It's that noted resemblance of the baby to OG that makes me think the baby is OG's future child. :)

There is cuteness to the scene of MW warning off the baby in his bitterness and suspicion only to fall instantly under the baby's spell. However, it goes to underline how deeply MW must be hurting at losing his child and thinking about it now, especially while he's suspicious that he had been lied to about his child's death. It's not excusing MW, just underlining his inner softness for babies and his heartbreak.

25 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Me too, i'm scared of her ability to see the future will resulted to her finding the sword.

but it's not about fighting the fate and heaven anymore. If the world is at stake, would she just choose herself and let the world be destroyed? Of course not...

i hope they will get to get married and enjoy for a moment before this ultimate heartbreak

Sorry to cut your post!

The thing is, it doesn’t have to end this way. Who decided that the only way to prevent catastrophe is for a SJ to die? It’s one solution that worked in the past but it may not be the only solution.

It’s very romantic notion and all. SJ’s death will be like Jean’s death in X-Men 3, when Jean, the love interest of Wolverine, became the Dark Phoenix. She became hell-bent on destroying the world and that was when Wolverine had to be the one stabbing her. I really hope that’s not how this show will end. 

For that matter, whatever happened to the old SJ after he/she was stabbed by his/her protector? Did that previous SJ become a deity? Seems like it’s another stupid joke from the spiritual realm.. separating that couple, and all they are good for - punishing people over and over again. New management is needed! 

I am so riled up by the Spiritual realm and all their methods so far. :confused:

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, haymochi said:

lmao did i gain sunmi's power or what? I expected for this article tovbe written with this title and the same haters comments. :D:D:D

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/02/18/hwayugi-episode-15-drops-huge-ratings-3-586-narrative-loses-steam/#comment-520968

I read the article just now as well as some haters comments.. I just think the rating drop last saturday due to olympic..Plus, even I Am Not A Robot also facing low rating before,but still it is one of the most popular drama..

When some said that there are no chemistry between LSG and OYS, I can't agree with them.. Because I can feel their chemistry since episode 1.. they both had done a great job potraying SJ& SOG..In fact all the actors did a great job..  I can't imagine any other actor/actress can take their place in Hwayugi..The storyline might not be interesting for some but it really interesting and enjoyful for me and my friends too.. We waiting patiently each weekend to watch Hwayugi live..

Can't wait for the next 4 episodes... Hope it will ends well for SOG & SJ... really hope they can have HAPPY ENDING... 

• Like 9

OG having gone to fetch the baby back from MW.

MW: Huh? You didn’t buy the diapers? How can you have so little responsibility for something that you brought here? (seeing OG handle the baby’s blankets) Hey, do it gently, gently! Oh, really!
OG: (revealing the writing on the blanket which reads Lotus Flower Village Orphanage) He was definitely bait to get me to go there. I’ll take him. (me: Still no gender designation, but I’ll use male pronouns for ease of reference.)
MW: Right now, immediately? But he just drank some milk and is about to go to sleep.
OG: This is your final parting with the baby. Since he can’t understand you anyway, make your goodbyes short.
MW: Final parting? Oh, what… You came without any warning, and…
OG: Hurry up!
MW: Okay. Oh geez. Really. These. (reaching for the various rattles)
OG: Hurry up and put them in!
MW: Oh. (turns around) Take him away.
(OG grabs the baby and leaves.)
Ma: He’s gone.
MW: That oblivious thug. (sighs) It’s this hard to send a baby off that I had only spent half a day with, Cha Eun, by herself, how hard must have it been for her. If the heavens have taken away the child who had lived, than I absolutely won’t forgive them.

MW: (putting down some macarons)
SB: Ma Wang, you’ve totally recovered. (chuckles in delight) You’re definitely a strong being.
MW: Strong? Compared to the way I used to be, I’ve become much weaker.
SM: Then again, the Ma Wang of the past was very scary. (holding up the cookies) Now, you’re rather sweet.

After this exchange between MW and SB is when MW asks for confirmation that his child died, and SB confirms it before SB has to run off to a meeting in heaven.

After watching this scene, I was kind of hoping that the baby is OG and SM's, and that MW will be his adoring godfather. I realize that MW is actually pretty horrible this episode with his plans to eat SM in order to increase his strength. However, MW is an immortal with a different standard. I can see how despite feeling regard for SM, MW could see SM as a human with a short life span anyway who can be used for the purposes of his revenge. Most of the immortals definitely have a different standard for other immortals versus mortals.

It's as in the conversation between OG and SM where SM notes that immortals have loyalty after all, pointing to Secretary Ma and Oh Jeong as immortals who are completely faithful, while for mortals, everything comes to an end sooner or later anyway.

Yet another reason why I hope that SM becomes elevated to a deity or at least an immortal, so that the OTP can be together forever.  (Even if I personally don't like the concept of immortality. :) But, this is a creative work of fiction, so lovers forever together sounds romantic rather than otherwise. )

So, based on what SBR said, the GGG will disappear right before OG stabs SJ so he won't feel any pain to kill her? How can heaven be that cruel? :huh: If they reveal this in early episodes, I believe OG will be thrilled with the idea of breaking free from SJ, but now, OG would rather wear the GGG forever and be with SJ than free from GGG and live without SJ. That's character development! :D:D

I think the heaven decided to put OG as SJ's guardian because they thought that OG would never capable of loving someone deeply other than himself. Maybe the previous guardian and Samjang were in love with each other and made it harder for them to fulfil their destiny. So they chose OG that will put himself first over others. But then, it's dangerous to assume that he is completely different from others :wink:

• Like 16
  • Sad 5

11 hours ago, haymochi said:

Thanks...

i'm not gonna care about the rating anymore cos it hit ne super hard that i'm only left with less than 2 weeks of this amazing drama

what am i going to dooooooo.... 

Hwayugi's rating yesterday improved cause even the hit reality show hyori's home stay ratings went down from 7.7 to 4.6. 

• Like 7

Aaah i'm a huge fan of Lee Hyori home stay too > <

Rating blah blah blah . It's not like the drama have 1-2% rating and it's still a hit with positive reactions so what's the big deal? 

I can't understand those people in that blog. I don't even bother writing anything cos they sound like jokes using offensive words.

also the ridiculous thing that a cable drama should hit 15% to be called successful. They will already be bragging if their bias was in a drama that can hit 4% 

*enough with the ranting* haha....

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

Right now I feel like our OTP's only hope is the facts that the guardian this time is the Great Sage - one of the most powerful beings - and that SJ has acquired ASN's abilities - two things the previous SM and Guardian did not have. 

And good and loyal friends like MW, Piggy, Buja, CEO Sa, even Secretary Dog. I even think Subori will eventually be on their side. Hahah. 

I was really touched that they shared MW’s suffering.. and can’t stop laughing at how Subori fainted from taking 1 year of that suffering!

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, annie1234 said:

So, based on what SBR said, the GGG will disappear right before OG stabs SJ so he won't feel any pain to kill her? How can heaven be that cruel? :huh: If they reveal this in early episodes, I believe OG will be thrilled with the idea of breaking free from SJ, but now, OG would rather wear the GGG forever and be with SJ than free from GGG and live without SJ. That's character development! :D:D

Actually, OG already knows that the geumganggo will fall off of its own accord once SJ has fulfilled her destiny or dies. And, earlier on in the drama, he was very happy about that.

However, as you say, OG no longer even wants to risk taking the geumganggo off. As he has said, it is his free will to want to keep wearing the geumganggo, so there is something real there, even if both he and SM are wary of how OG will feel when he takes it off.

I think the way it was supposed to work is that the geumganggo stays on OG's wrist until the moment he strikes SM dead because he has to in order to destroy the Great Evil. However, since the geumganggo will fall off in that instant, OG shouldn't feel anything for SM afterward. However, I doubt that this is the way it would work now, if it does go in that direction.

2 hours ago, annie1234 said:

I think the heaven decided to put OG as SJ's guardian because they thought that OG would never capable of loving someone deeply other than himself. Maybe the previous guardian and Samjang were in love with each other and made it harder for them to fulfil their destiny. So they chose OG that will put himself first over others. But then, it's dangerous to assume that he is completely different from others :wink:

This is an interesting theory. While it had always been presented that OG was tricked into wearing the geumganggo so that he would agree to act as SJ's protector, perhaps, the true reason is two fold in that it ropes OG into acting as the protector in the first place, but then protects him from a life of misery and torment afterwards.

Of course, what everyone doesn't know is that OG is experiencing true love which trumps whatever the geumganggo may or may not do. :)

1 hour ago, ladysaotome said:

Right now I feel like our OTP's only hope is the facts that the guardian this time is the Great Sage - one of the most powerful beings - and that SJ has acquired ASN's abilities - two things the previous SM and Guardian did not have. 

I wonder whether the SJ this time is stronger than the past SJ's have been. And, whether OG as SJ's protector this time is more powerful and trickier himself than previous protectors have been. Anyway, I'm still going to hold on to a happy ending for this drama rather than a tragic ending.

Also, regarding the ratings. I'm pretty sure that it's because of the Olympic coverage, especially at an Olympics where as the host country, the Koreans are fielding athletes in a number of sports that they have not participated in in the past. Having just come back from watching the Olympics in Korea, the Olympics are on all the broadcast channels (MBC, KBS1, KBS2, SBS), plus recaps and replays of any good Korean showings. For instance, South Korea won it's first ever medal in skeleton, and it was a gold medal.  Plus, every second of short track speed skating which is a South Korean Olympic obsession, not to mention coverage of the mixed North and South Korean women's ice hockey team.

I tend not to read other blogs so not sure what they're saying, but the two biggest things in South Korea last week were the Olympics coverage and the Lunar New Year specials. The cable channels were playing a lot of re-runs mostly. In fact, I managed to catch Hwayugi during reruns since I was out watching the Olympics during the initial broadcast of both episodes.  So, not sure that ratings are hugely significant until the Olympics are over anyway. I do hope that for the sake of the cast and crew of Hwayugi, that their final episodes will get good ratings.

Does anyone else think that the shopkeeper’s grandson is MW’s son?

After watching ep 16, this feels more and more likely.

This is a child who is born by an immortal diety and a demon king, and was fed 10 human souls to be revived. If what ASN said is true (that the child is alive), this child must be an immortal with great powers. 

And i believe the child was placed under the care of the shopkeeper granny. After the patriach was confronted by MW, he went to the shop and talked to the grandson, and wondered, “Who do you resemble?”. The grandson also said that he does have certain powers. In the first few eps, the shopkeeper granny also said that he is still under “training”. He must be some dangerous(?) being to be put under some sort of training to control his power (even though he hasn’t unleashed/learned it yet) and be under strict survelliance by the heavens right?

Also, in the original novel, MW’s son “Red Boy” was taken in by Guanyin. He was also given the title of “善财童子 Shan Cai Tong Zi”, because he is good with money LOL. Isn’t the shopkeeper’s grandson good at making those extra allowances?

In our show, i don’t know if shopkeeper granny is the equivalent of Guanyin. But shopkeeper granny does seem to have a very important role designated by the heavens afterall. First, the GGG was from her. Second, she has that tank tt shows unfortunate things. Third, she handed the sword to be used to kill SJ to the gods.

Why do i think that JSM is not MW’s child?

SM is a human, a human born in a village clinic during the epidemic. It was a great moment of despair when JSM’s mother gave birth to her, and her birth eventually saved the entire village from the epidemic. So I think JSM’s being represents hope, purity and kindness. She is a sacred being. 

Thus, she is unlikely to be the child of a demon king and a diety, who succumbed to her greed of wanting to keep her child alive, thereby resorted to killing 10 human child to save her own.

I also think that making Sam Jang the child of the demon king will deviate too much from the original novel. :/

• Like 14

I read a comment in YouTube said "OG should ask the dragon son for the golden sea rod. That his real weapon in classic"  so maybe this is the purpose of Dragon Son aka Alice in this drama,. Hopefully OG will has this weapon to kill the super powerful evil that gonna destroy the world and save SM . I believe in the duo power of SM and OG, hopefully their love gonna turn out as a power too *sorry my imagination going wild haha*

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

Does anyone else think that the shopkeeper’s grandson is MW’s son?

After watching ep 16, this feels more and more likely.

This is a child who is born by an immortal diety and a demon king, and was fed 10 human souls to be revived. If what ASN said is true (that the child is alive), this child must be an immortal with great powers. 

And i believe the child was placed under the care of the shopkeeper granny. After the patriach was confronted by MW, he went to the shop and talked to the grandson, and wondered, “Who do you resemble?”. The grandson also said that he does have certain powers. In the first few eps, the shopkeeper granny also said that he is still under “training”. He must be some dangerous(?) being to be put under some sort of training to control his power (even though he hasn’t unleashed/learned it yet) and be under strict survelliance by the heavens right?

Also, in the original novel, MW’s son “Red Boy” was taken in by Guanyin. He was also given the title of “善财童子 Shan Cai Tong Zi”, because he is good with money LOL. Isn’t the shopkeeper’s grandson good at making those extra allowances?

In our show, i don’t know if shopkeeper granny is the equivalent of Guanyin. But shopkeeper granny does seem to have a very important role designated by the heavens afterall. First, the GGG was from her. Second, she has that tank tt shows unfortunate things. Third, she handed the sword to be used to kill SJ to the gods.

Given that I also don’t think that SM is MW’s child, I like the idea of the shopkeeper’s grandson being MW’s child, if the child did not die after all, since the drama is being so cagey with that plot point.

I had wondered if her child had been reincarnated with her each time to be killed to trigger Iron Fan’s own cycle of agony, murder, and death, but that was just too cruel to contemplate for the child to be punished thus with his mother like that. Though I still feel sorry for the 9 souls who were born as Iron Fan’s child only to be killed in their respective childhoods.

Anyway, hopefully, the grandfather has trained the grandson to overcome the taint of having had the souls of ten humans sacrificed on his behalf, if he is MW and Iron Fan’s child.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiOuD_E27jATEzG-wpIyC

I noticed something interesting, when OG found SJ's body at the end of episode 14 he was wearing a turtle neck but when ASN woke up in SJ's body in episode 15 he was wearing a shirt. So did he change to make it easier for ANS to seduce him....:blink::blush:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLYFIfWF_0rqdU1RhR2eZimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz-7pV_nfKk-xZAtfi5IJ

imageproxy_19.gif&key=8b28bf6780c591e3d9

I know this wasn't JSM but I Still Love It. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 15

I hate Olympic games Hahahaha, I mean why the athletes still have to compete at 9PM Seoul time anyway.

To MaWang, if he wants to eat SamJang, I want to suggest him to prepare special sauces for it. And make sure that OG knows about it. 

Still in love with episode 15, re-watching it over and over again, seeing LSG acting with OYS in almost the entire that episode really entertaining. ASN-In-SJ- body's was so rude to SOJ hyungnim, and that Jonathan reappearance is indeed one of my wish that came true:D. I was expecting in episode 16 that JSM will be jealous and curious of what ASN-in-her- body did to SOG. If only she knew... :D

• Like 7
  • LOL 4