Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

Scene translation of the confrontation between OG and General Frost.

Winter: Great Sage, Equal to Heaven, sir.
OG: The incense burner, give it to me.
Winter: I can’t give it to you.
OG: GENERAL WINTER!!
Winter: Sam Jang has a fate which could kill the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven. Removing the incense burner is not betraying the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven.
OG: SAM JANG! is the person who will become my bride. I have to have that incense burner in order to find my bride and bring her back.
Winter: Please don’t come (closer). I also have to protect my sister’s soul. (starts to freeze everything)
OG: (striking Winter) I… didn’t want to kill General Winter.
(Winter starts freezing again when Summer Fairy appears.)
Summer: Please stop now, brother.
Winter: You must not use your strength. You can’t waste it like this.
Summer: Brother. (hugs him)
Winter: You can’t. Don’t hug me. Return to me.
(Summer Fairy melts General Winter’s freeze.)
Winter: You can’t do this!
Summer: I should have disappeared a long time ago.

As a number of people have mentioned, a furious OG is totally hot, especially when he's so passionate about SM.

However, this scene is more about the brother General Winter and his sister Summer Fairy. Winter is telling his sister not to use her energy to apparate rather than sharing his corporeal body. She then uses more energy to warm up her brother and undo his freezing. And, it does seem to a goodbye from Summer to Winter with the comment that she should have disappeared long ago. I'm going to miss the Summer Fairy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 13

A subbed preview from YT. If you click on the CC on the bottom of the video, the subs that this user put will show up. They're mostly right. I also did a quick translation of the preview as well under the video.

OG: After talking as she did when she entered Sam Jang’s body, she chose that human.
BJ/ASN: What I am, are you able to believe it a little now?
OG: You’re saying that Ma Wang has let you go?
MW: Are you sure that she’s dead?
Woman: This is the sword to be used on that day.
OG: Is that it?
SB: It’s not time for it to be going into those hands yet!
Woman (Iron Fan?): You shouldn’t become like me.
OG: Just what your start is, let’s go and hear it.

I think MW is asking about whether his child is alive or not, though I also wondered if he was asking about Iron Fan since it looks like her who faces OG and tells him not to be like her? As with all of the previews for Hwayugi, this one is confusing and can be interpreted in multiple ways also. :)

Anyway, just popped in out of curiosity. I'll be back later with comments for the episode. The bed scene wasn't quite what I had hoped for, but I was actually okay with it. OYS did a good job being ASN as well as SM.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

It's already Sunday. I saw a raw uploaded, I haven't watched nor seen anything yet. So how was the episode? 

Need to watch asap? It's better to wait for the subs? Or watch later with Saturday episode? I will watch a bit later. Scroll up and down faster,too many spoilers, :lol: *facepalm*

@Zelda thanks for tagging me.. hahaha.. I'll send it mine to you in a few moments. 

Brb after watching.... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, theseasasleep said:

I think your idea about ASN telling MW the Candidate is his obviously reborn child makes sense whether or not the child is a boy or a girl. MW has proved time and time again he is ripe for conning when it comes to anything associated with Nachal. Honestly, every one of these monsters and demi-gods have shown themselves to be this way, but in MW's case, his actions tend to kickstart larger story actions. Sending SM into OG's mystical prison... giving SM the GGG... awakening ASN, then agreeing to ASN's plan, etc. Since this seems to be the purpose of his story, it makes a scary sense to have ASN convince MW the Candidate is his in order to raise her dragon and crown her chosen king with relative breathing room. 

The sudden appearance of the protector might be linked to the sword we see in the preview. Perhaps the sword's appearance is a sign to this still living Sam Jang protector that another Sam Jang has been called and the protector wants to impart some wisdom?  Whatever the case, I am interested in knowing about what it all entails and how deep Heavens' games go. 

LOL, over ASN's priorities.  Let's keep in mind she also changed BJ's wardrobe, hair and makeup as soon as possible, too.  She is a consummate fashionista. I would imagine being able to enchant and possess souls, yet never have the real love and real devotion would be quite frustrating for ASN. Might explain why she's obsessed with having OG - he's powerful, bound to love the GGG owner and has shown himself to be quite devoted. I guess I can't blame her for wanting to seduce OG... oh wait, I can because it was gross. The chemistry is real, don't get me wrong, but all enjoyment was doused seeing OG's stifled reactions. Our poor monkey was tortured, scared, angry and full of loathing; he hated every moment so much. What was delicious was his palpable longing and fear for JSM. LSG and OYS really played so well against each other as they bounced from enemies to lovers.  Fantastic work! 

Maintaining a zombie body is hard work, I know I forgot how many energy balls it took just to keep BJ this side of functional, let alone lively and energetic. ASN was apparently using a lot of her might to do that on her own and still had to supplement by eating living flesh in order to maintain even a tenth of her powers.  No wonder she felt unleashed in SM's body only to discover that being a modern human with obligations is also quite energy draining, :lol: , if in a different sense. Maybe it's just me but I thought we saw ASN fully relaxed; she thought she had won, discovering OG knew she wasn't SM was a setback but she still felt she had the upperhand as she demonstrated in the glass bottle scene.  Brilliant, brilliant scene by the way.  It really illustrated how she is, despite her protests, very much like the bookseller - a very evil spirit.  Playing with lives, moving souls around like game pieces, it was really quite sick. This and dragon-raising/crowning a king is her nature. 

Thanks! Great discussion points there! Yes - my sentiments exactly. MW has been the one setting things in motion so I won't be surprised if he does so this time. Yet I am also hoping he would have learnt his lesson from the previous time (EP 13)  .. He needs to see his own weakness which is so easily manipulated and appreciate the loyalty of his friends. 

Some of blame belongs to the Spiritual Realm and all the games they play. It seems so far everyone's been played and been used as pawns. Reminds me of the line from Shakespeare: 

As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
They kill us for their sport.

King Lear Act 4, scene 1, 32–37

No wonder no one can trust the plans of the gods. 

And at ASN's priorities - totally get what you say and agree! lol. Just that if I'm her and in a body that'd give me my full powers I'll find a place to hide out first instead of strutting around buying new clothes and hanging around monsters who want me out. She was really over confident about her plans succeeding!

Question: while she's in SJM's body and while SJM is in the sarcophagus, why is BJ asleep? If BJ didn't return does that mean she's gone?

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

18.02.17 Nielsen Cable Ratings

#2 Hwayugi 3.586% (nationwide), 3.516% (Seoul)

Cr.tryp96

;-; it dropped below 4...why? ;-;

• Sad 7

27 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

Cr.tryp96

Why the rating is so low? :bawling::bawling:

• Sad 8

15 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

Why the rating is so low? :bawling::bawling:

@astrobooy
@Wendy Wang
Reminder....People in Korea have been celebrating the Lunar New Year for 3 days, this year it's Feb 15 - Feb 17.
Since they often travel to their hometowns to visit family... They are less likely to watch TV. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ShannonK said:

People in Korea celebrate the Lunar New Year for 3 days, which this year runs from Feb 15 - Feb 17.
Many people travel to their hometowns, visit family... so they are less likely to watch TV. 

Yea, I've been celebrating it too, but I think misty's ratings went up... .-.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

Cr.tryp96

I cannot believe this. Hwayugi deserves more!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

Yea, but I think misty's ratings went up... .-.

Yes, they went up mildly from 4.8 to 5.4 

• Like 3

Well we can't do anything about it. It's hard to compete with the winter Olympics. 

This time.. KOREA WON GOLD AND BRONZE. 

20-20:21 kst.. it's hard to build up a rating with that competition and given 30-40 viewers were the strength of this drama. They prefer to watch the Olympics. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Another excellent episode! I loved it more than I thought I would. The chemistry between LSG and OYS is just so bled1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862492

When MW decided to betray OG again, I wasn't even that surprised nah-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793775

I get he wants to know where his child is but still (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻ the frustration. Did we not learn anything from Summer Fairy's sad demise? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Don't worry about the rating

they have olympic+lunar new year

lots of dramas ratings went down too

like MGL which usually score s40%++ only score 31 

8 minutes ago, ShannonK said:

Yes, they went up mildly from 4.8 to 5.4 

Misty scored an effing 7.1 hahahahhaa

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Don't worry about the rating

they have olympic+lunar new year

lots of dramas ratings went down too

like MGL which usually score s40%++ only score 31 

Misty scored an effing 7.1 hahahahhaa

There are a few different rating systems that do the counting in Korea. 
I was commenting based on the following post....
"On February 16, despite being only five episodes into the show, “Misty” managed to score an average viewership of 5.4 percent, its highest rating yet. The previous two episodes of “Misty” recorded ratings of 3.9 and 4.8 percent respectively, indicating that the drama’s viewership appears to be on the rise. " - https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/17/misty-achieves-highest-ratings-yet/

I see it was reported today to be 7.081% nationwide. 

• Like 3

In the original novel of journey to the west, Bull Demon King and Princess Iron Fan has a child called the "Red Boy", and as the name suggests, that child is a boy. Red boy has the face of a child but in fact is 300~500 (?) years old, and is also known as the "Boy Sage King". In the novel, Red Boy is a very beautiful child and he grew up in the heavens. His ability is to spit fire from his mouth.

Not sure if the mysterious kiddo that appeared in sereumdong is the child of MW, i mean it's a sudden appearance afterall.

BUT, another thing to note: In Dragon ball, Bull Demon King and Princess Iron Fan has a child called qiqi, and that child is a girl. Qiqi and Sun Wu Kong met when they were both a child (They are both the same age), and ridiculously made a promise to marry when they become adults. Eventually, they met again years later and proceeded with their marriage. 

So yeah, Sun Wu Kong is Bull Demon King's son-in-law in that series LOL.

Anything is possible right? I mean Hong Sisters already turned Sam Jang into a woman. :blush:

• Like 13

Again the rating of the drama was due to the time when WE WATCH ,THEM WINNING GOLD AND BRONZE 21:00-21:21. Do you know how much we prefer to watch those olympic games were we expect them to win . vs a drama that we can watch them every week . Golden life also drop from 41 percent to 35.  Misty again was in 23:00 .. the time WHEN WINTER OLYMPICS IS ABOUT TO END. And koreans dont have a game. so even that they are going strong. that time they have no competition.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, HolyBasil said:

Again the rating of the drama is due to the time when WE WATCH .. THEM WINNING GOLD AND BRONZE 21:00-21:21. Do you know how much we prefer to watch those olympic games were we expect them to win . vs a drama that we can watch them every week . Golden life also drop from 41 percent to 35.  Misty again was in 23:00 .. the time WHEN WINTER OLYMPICS IS ABOUT TO END. And koreans dont have a game. so even that they are going strong. that time they have no competition.

True Misty was aired at a very late time. Just  like last week Hwayugi also dropped a lot on Saturday due to olympics .. yesterday  even worse cos they won medals (congrats ^^) then rise again on Sunday.

Who would miss such moments to watch drama that you can just download later.

Last night ep was the best and i keep rewatching it to see the two leads awesome acting, crazy chemistry, and once again made me love this drama even more

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, astrobooy said:

Cr.tryp96

Aww man that sucks , the episode was quite good and totally deserves a way higher rating :(

• Like 4