[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, justamom said:

We seriously have fans from six continents of the world here! I'm so impressed by the extent of this drama's reach. Anyone from Antartica? :lol:

I wish they made it a deposit, rather than a prepayment. But from what I understand, if the drama isn't popular enough they won't even bother with a Director's Cut. It's sort of like a special service for fans of popular dramas. I don't think they make that much off it if they're only targeting 300 overseas orders.

They've taken the date off from promotional materials. They're a bit vague about date I think, because of what I said above -- if demand is insufficient they may not even produce it. 

(Edit)

For all of you missing Park Dong Hoon, check out this amazing fan video by @Kimchi Sweet Potato

My playlist was on auto mode when I suddenly heard Park Dong Hoon breathing in my ear...LOL what a great video! So much feels. I had to stop halfway cos my heart couldn't take it...

Does the director's cut cost the same amount of money for local fans?  That is just insanely expensive.  If they had cut the cost in half I would imagine they'd get at least twice as many orders?  Are all director's cut DVDs this expensive?

@Kimchi Sweet Potato your FMVs are beautiful, and Breathe is my favorite of them all.

• Like 6

- Currently watching What's Wrong With Secretary Kim. Need something light, that won't use too much brain cells. 

- So I asked my colleague who buys content. Usually there's additional operations cost to include English subs for blu-ray, so that's why there's minimum order quantity (MOQ).

@mushroomsoupieThis is DramaMilk's translation. Not sure if accurate: 

DH – Life, why is it so bad/cheap?
JH – Because you don’t love, there are a lot of bad guys around.

The next DH-JA scene is of them @ the office, DH did not look at JA, but JA gave him the death stare. We then see DH meeting with CD, and then beating GI. If DM's translation is correct, isn't it interesting? Would this be his first act of love for JA? 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

Interesting thought, but there were a few more instances, actually. As crazy as it sounds, I'm keeping a log after @tiger457_stv sunbae-nim jokingly mentioned it sometime ago... and the first time DH says "It's no big deal" (아무것도 아니야) is in ep 6, when he's indirectly talking about YH's affair with JA. I''ll get back to you with the actual count later. (The "thank you" log is the most interesting so far. DH sure thanked JA a LOT of times.)

Yes, I'm aware that DH probably told himself "it's no big deal" many times, but since he can't quite give himself a hug, it doesn't count. Have the words been said to him or from him to others elsewhere?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Yes, I'm aware that DH probably told himself "it's no big deal" many times, but since he can't quite give himself a hug it doesn't count. Have the words been said to him or from him to others elsewhere?

I just edited my original reply... but the answer to your question is "yes". Off the top of my head, he tells JA "It's no big deal" (아무것도 아니야) in ep 10:

JA: I wonder if anyone will want to be close to me after they find out that I've killed someone. Even the people who'd been close to me while being unaware of that... all looked conflicted... after they found out what kind of person I am. "How do I separate myself from her?"

DH: If you don't consider it to be important... then other people won't either. And if you consider it to be serious then others will think of it that way, too. That's how everything works. You're the one who decides that. What happened in the past... is no big deal. If you consider it to be no big deal then it's no big deal. Live by the name that you were given. You were given a great name, after all.

---

A quick Ctrl + F search reveals that he also said "It's no big deal" in the beginning of ep 10 to his neighborhood pals when they express concern about his beat-up condition (but the Korean phrase is different - 별거 아니야).

---

Edit:

@justamom OMG, chakka-nim!!!!!! Chapter 11 was pitch-perfect!!!! AHHHHH *heart eyes*

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, justamom said:

We seriously have fans from six continents of the world here! I'm so impressed by the extent of this drama's reach. Anyone from Antartica? :lol:

I wish they made it a deposit, rather than a prepayment. But from what I understand, if the drama isn't popular enough they won't even bother with a Director's Cut. It's sort of like a special service for fans of popular dramas. I don't think they make that much off it if they're only targeting 300 overseas orders.

They've taken the date off from promotional materials. They're a bit vague about date I think, because of what I said above -- if demand is insufficient they may not even produce it. 

(Edit)

For all of you missing Park Dong Hoon, check out this amazing fan video by @Kimchi Sweet Potato

My playlist was on auto mode when I suddenly heard Park Dong Hoon breathing in my ear...LOL what a great video! So much feels. I had to stop halfway cos my heart couldn't take it...

I couldnt even get past 5 seconds! I see DH in his coat and hear that song and i cant breathe. If I watch longer il have nothing but MA again in my head, replaying scenes. Aaaahh MA, what kind of spell did you cast! :confounded:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos, thanks! :)
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

6 hours ago, justamom said:

Thank you very much for the clarification.

This forum is moving faster than that of currently airing dramas. :D

@sadiesmith & @justamom thanks, that FMV was my personal favorite too.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

So, I've caught up on the posts and the translation made by @rellea of that long post really got me. This section: "That child who was beaten, bruised, collapsed who despite all her hardship never asked for help and instead bore her suffering alone with a can of beer...looked at him compassionately, comforted him, and to give him strength, told him 'fighting'.

To see JA so happy at the end and 'living in comfort' and to see her have DH in her life again was made more meaningful after reading this. Hopefully her new life and future with DH can make up for everything she went through.

@h2ogirl I am amazed that someone can still find little hidden gems like the photos on YH's desk, the open and closed windows and the name of the market. But having a log of the times 'Thank you's' and 'It's nothing' are uttered? That's pure craziness... umm I mean genius!

Joking aside, your mention of the 'goose fathers' had me thinking of the scene after playing soccer when KH and SH ran from the police and SH tore his goose down jacket on the fence. Although it wasn't DH's jacket do you think it could represent the 'goose fathers' and DH? That DH's goose father life is now ripped. The feathers are flying everywhere, it's a mess. DH's life is a mess. The jacket is patched/mended with the work sticker as a temporary fix but it isn't/can't be properly mended. Also, goose down keeps you warm but now that some feathers have been lost DH's life/the marriage grows colder. I think this was an earlier soccer outing but then at the later soccer match where we see DH in the passenger seat after the game and his friend gives the heart sign then when he drives off we see JA standing staring at DH. Take off that jacket and throw it away. Now JA is/will be the new source of his warmth.

One thing I wanted to mention about a post by @arctichare but forgot at the time I'll mention now. It was a post of IU's song 'Bad Day'. As I read the lyrics to the song it so reminded me of JA and the life she led. I wondered if the PD and writer offered LJE the role of JA because they thought she could understand and inhabit the role of JA. That by knowing IU's songs they felt LJE understood the character of JA.

• Like 10

Finally, I signed up only for this thread. I've been a silent reader since the second episode and I'm so glad to find this thread. I read every post. I cannot express how grateful I am to read all your comments and deep analysis. Just like many people said before, watching MA makes other dramas seem so artificial. I've watched this drama 3 times :D. 10 mins working on my thesis, 30 mins for MA, soompi forum, and fanfic. Akhh.. how can I get out from this dark hole :lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 8

Since so many of our lives have been held hostage by My Ajusshi for the past few months, I would so love to see someone here take on Dramabeans Theme of the Month challenge:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/06/theme-of-the-month-work-life-balance-and-k-dramas/

[Theme of the Month] Work, life, balance, and K-dramas

by javabeans

misaeng104.jpg

To this day, one of my favorite reader stories here on Dramabeans is the one of a drama fan who worked at a government office and sent her important boss on trumped-up appointments all day long… just so she could watch dramas at work. Back in the day, I’ll confess to calling in “sick” to catch the finale of a show I was desperately into because I didn’t want to spend all day distracted and fantasizing about the last episode until I could watch it later. But what’s a drama-addicted fan to do when there are real-life obligations (and obstacles) that cut in on drama-watching time?

Maybe you’ve made changes to your work because of dramas, or conversely, your work has changed how you see dramas. Perhaps a drama has shifted your idea of what a professional career is like, or even shaped the direction you’ve taken in yours.

How have dramas shaped, changed, or affected your working lives or careers?

I know you guys have stories, so lay ’em on me.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Just found this post on anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com that makes my heart break into a million pieces again...

JlZdCtv.png

he staggers, his bag somehow too heavy - until it slips into his hand, unable to withstand its own weight. he stops, he struggles to lift it, but it won’t budge, it just won’t, and he doubles over, out of breath, out of hope, letting leather meet asphalt. maybe he’s had too much too drink. maybe he just doesn’t know how to walk this road without this weight on his shoulder. yet heavy or not, he can’t just drop it, that’s not who he is. so he remembers the simple word no one but one person - who probably needs to hear it more than him - ever thought to say to him and he lifts his head and he drags the strap up and he sucks new air into his lungs and he walks on.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, andius said:

Just found this post on anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com that makes my heart break into a million pieces again...

he staggers, his bag somehow too heavy - until it slips into his hand, unable to withstand its own weight. he stops, he struggles to lift it, but it won’t budge, it just won’t, and he doubles over, out of breath, out of hope, letting leather meet asphalt. maybe he’s had too much too drink. maybe he just doesn’t know how to walk this road without this weight on his shoulder. yet heavy or not, he can’t just drop it, that’s not who he is. so he remembers the simple word no one but one person - who probably needs to hear it more than him - ever thought to say to him and he lifts his head and he drags the strap up and he sucks new air into his lungs and he walks on.

And after @rellea's post on page 242, we now know the bag is not just a bag, but a symbol for something much deeper.  Here it is for those who missed it.  It is long but worth reading every word:

• Like 9

19 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

My Mister behind the scenes by IU TV

Screen shots by https://twitter.com/iumushimushi/status/1005014526729732096

Uploaded to imgur

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Wait, that third picture. JiAn was teary, they didnt include that in the last ep. :astonished:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

This song made me think of Lee Ji An and how she feels for Park Dong Hoon.  It’s a cover of Adele’s “Make You Feel My Love” by Sleeping At Last. If I knew how, I’d make a FMV of MA with this song but I can’t.  I wonder if anyone can make one.  Perhaps @Kimchi Sweet Potato :)?

LYRICS:

When the rain is blowing in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love
When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one there to dry your tears
Oh, I hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love
I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I will never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong
I'd go hungry; I'd go black and blue
And I'd go crawling down the avenue
No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love
The storms are raging on the rolling sea
And on the highway of regret
The winds of change are blowing wild and free
You ain't seen nothing like me yet
I could make you happy, make your dreams come true
There's nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of this Earth for you
To make you feel my love, oh yes
To make you feel my love

• Like 9

19 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

My Mister behind the scenes by IU TV

Screen shots by https://twitter.com/iumushimushi/status/1005014526729732096

Uploaded to imgur

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

That "Uwaa" at 3:41 from LSK :flushed:  

They are so different from their roles in real life, it never ceases to amaze me how good they are. Thanks a lot @mylovelystar !

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5