[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

41 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

To me, they represent those emotions in Dong Hoon that he himself can never express.  They are the different aspects of his personality that are long buried inside him.  Someone over at tumblr put it beautifully in that the three Park brothers represent the id (Ki Hoon), the ego (Dong Hoon) and the superego (Sang Hoon), every aspect of which is always present in an individual. 

From the beginning, they already knew the dangers of Lee Ji An for Dong Hoon.  At the onset, despite the jokes and the teasing, they already sensed that there was something different between their brother and this young woman

Love your analysis. I think Sang Won/Gyeon Deok also represents his subconscious. 

I think it’s even simpler than that. As Do Joon Yeon says, “Eating and drinking with a woman? Park Dong Hoon doesn’t do that.”

When Sang Hoon made that picture frame with his hands at the bar, trying to capture that moment he first saw Dong Hoon with Ji An (or to make sure), that was probably the first time in many, many, many years. Possibly even since he dated Yoon Hee in college. As the audience, we only find out much later, so the significance only sinks in then.

• Like 11

@ninaanin That was a beautiful post, thank you for sharing it with us. You captured what every one of us is feeling so well, I had to read it twice as I relive all the scenes again. 

@akhenaten Actually, the motif of a triumvirate representing the three sides of a human psyche is really common - the superego and the id fighting with each other, and the ego as the middle person must resolve this conflict and decide the path forward. If you watch Star Trek (The Original Series) you'll know what I'm talking about. Long story short, I believe you're right :) 

@justamom Good luck with your new job! :) 

I guess ultimately real life must come beckoning, but I'd like to think of it as not moving on, but instead keeping what I've learned and felt with this show as a part of my inspiration for my next ventures. I actually got interested in learning Korean after MA, ahaha. To me, it's just a beginning.

• Like 10

We're still going strong!!

Randomly random news: I co-hosted a Kpop/ KDrama lovers party for fans in my city and it was awesome! A moment for MY Ahjussi fans to cry together......

I have been wondering why the subway train features so much in My Mister..... What's the purpose of this train? Is it just a location like a house or apartment? Or does it have any other significance? Am I trying too hard to attach meaning to everything in this drama? Should I get back to reading for my CAT?

Anyway, in Episode 10 when DH leaves his divorced-bar tender friend's bar... Oddly enough, he is at the train crossing in his general hood.

The scene just bursts in with a train crossing at high speed... cue the RED TRAFFIC LIGHTS

34984578_10156067955410412_3604708219798

DH is revealed, then the "bars" then go up to allow traffic to continue.

35160635_10156067955300412_8487525125506

DH crosses over the track. As he walks, JA creeps up from behind, mostly because she has spotted the private investigator who's been sent to collect dirt on DH. She listens in on his heavy breathing. We then have the exciting scene where JA forces DH to hit her to prove he's not attracted to her. (Plus photo op for the private investigator.)

The subway seems like an indication of danger or excitement for DH. Excitement, meaning an otherwise lethargic DH is going to be forced into action, his heart is going to beat faster (ep3), he is going to have to react to a situation or someone.... basically, he is going to move from his usual position. 

The subway is also where his thing with JA happens and progresses, from the uncomfortable ride in ep3, and all the other situations where they have been together (on or near the subway), to bring them closer as a "couple". It's kinda dangerous, according to me. Considering that they're walking a thin line in their "Non romantic" relationship....

What do y'all think? I'll have to go back to previous episodes (later) to test this hypothesis tho...

• Like 14
  • Insightful 1

@africandramalover Pretty sure trains is also one of the big symbols in the DH and JA relationship, together with the traffic lights. If you remember, one of the pivotal moments in the show where DH called out to JA through the wiretapped phone in the cinema, on the screen was a train track shot from the perspective of the train. The same perspective shot is actually seen quite often every time DH and JA boards the subway, only that in the cinema, it's daylight, whereas in the subway, it's dark and underground. Might be something interesting?

I believe someone in the thread mentioned something about the train scene in the cinema - probably need to do some digging... Edit: Here it is:)

I actually wrote in my notes a big: "DH + JA + TRAINS = ??" so that I'll keep an eye out for them on my rewatch :D 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

Even though I doubt IU will consider it cause she is focus on her music comeback right now, do you think this will be a good drama for her?

@Joseph Lim what's it all about? Though I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes more discriminating (and I mean that in a good way) with her next drama projects after MA. It's hard to top such excellence. :)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, africandramalover said:

The subway seems like an indication of danger or excitement for DH. Excitement, meaning an otherwise lethargic DH is going to be forced into action, his heart is going to beat faster (ep3), he is going to have to react to a situation or someone.... basically, he is going to move from his usual position. 

The subway is also where his thing with JA happens and progresses, from the uncomfortable ride in ep3, and all the other situations where they have been together to bring them closer as a "couple". It's kinda dangerous, according to me.

What do y'all think? I'll have to go back to previous episodes (later) to test this hypothesis tho...

I agree with you that a moving train/subway works to move DH from his stagnant position like you said.  It's dangerous like Ki Hoon warned, and it made DH very very comfortable, but ultimately the act of moving is the very thing that saves him.  This is portrayed even more literally in episode 5, when he lays there at the TRAIN tracks thinking about death.  

• Like 5

Some of my favorite scenes GIF-ified!

She knows me

EIHkqwN.gif

I know her

Spoiler

e9WHqjG.gif

Ahjussi's hottt running scene

27KksGp.gif

Spoiler

aX5MPXo.gif

zdtuitx.gif

I want to hold you
(My forever-lurker sister wanted me to caption this: I want to eat you. :wub:)

dTOBwCv.gif

Phone embrace

Spoiler

Rax0aeV.gif

5JxzOMh.gif

---

Thought of including some Longing scenes, but that would require an entire post!

I'm almost at the end of my rewatch... T_T

Hopefully I'll be able to go back to RL after I post the log and traffic signals analysis.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

2AM, and found a gem on DC Inside again...

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=55916

See if you catch any similarity...

Spoiler

DJY running to YH

1528711645.gif

KH running to YR

1528711645_1.gif

YR running to KH

1528711645_2.gif

And of course...

1528711645_3.gif

1528711645_4.gif

Edit: @h2ogirl, that's some beautiful gifs going straight to my MA folder! Thank you :D 

I love love the scene in episode 15 where DH just stared at her frail, petite hands, then had to look away suddenly or he might do something more.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, andius said:

2AM, and found a gem on DC Inside again...

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=55916

See if you catch any similarity...

Hide contents

DJY running to YH

KH running to YR

YR running to KH

And of course...

So you're saying every time an individual character runs, it's to run to his/her lover.  Right?

• Like 9

Hi everyone! The thread seems to be slowing down and some people are dropping off. Before it gets super slow (will that ever happen?) I wanted to share something personal. I hope you don't mind.

The last several days have been very emotional and hard for my family and myself. There have been several times each day where I would let out a deep sigh just like our beloved Dong Hoon. I was reminded of DH and My Ahjussi with every sigh.

Although we here on this thread don't really know each other we do know something about each other and that is that we all fell for and enjoyed watching and analyzing this amazing drama. That is the connection that we all have with each other. Although the red light came on for the actual drama and we are seeing the yellow light on this thread because we all are going back to our real lives I believe the green light of our love for this show will shine on forever.

I was thinking that maybe every one of you has been my Park brothers, SH and KH. Or the brothers and sisters of the Hugye community. Or the wise and caring Chairman or JA's grandma. Or the always knowing and loving mom. Thank you all for providing the structural integrity I needed by providing such wonderful insight and humor. You protected against all the cracks that appeared as I was unsure what was really happening between DH and JA.

During these last few days of personal turmoil I reflected on the show and all these comments and videos and gathered strength. I want to Thank You all and say that you have been my Lee Ji-an. I am smiling broadly now (although I can't hold all your hands)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

On 6/7/2018 at 1:29 AM, justamom said:

"Kang Yoon Hee is really such a lonely, isolated character. It's why she cheated, even though it was wrong. I tried my best to express her situation and suffering. If people can understand that, I would be so relieved."

She did a good job with her character. I felt some sympathy for YH, though I didn’t agree with her actions. Many wives feel they should be #1 in their husbands’ hearts, while some husbands feel they shouldn’t have to choose between their mothers and their wives. Everyone is family, so everyone should be loved equally, is one way to look at it. It’s a common problem. For example, wives often lament that their husbands should take their side if there is a disagreement with the mother-in-law, while most husbands hope they will leave them out of it. :lol:

I also liked Lee Ji Ah in “Me Too, Flower” as a depressed policewoman who had a rough childhood, and still has a tough time with her family. I liked how she connected with someone who was also alone and abandoned as a child. They felt like they really needed each other so much.

Here’s bts of her rapping and being carefree while filming.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

@sadiesmith At first I'm just really drawn to the way these people show their true colours in running. For DJY, it was more a light jog than an actual mad dash - he's not in a rush. He also keeps his face carefully hidden - it's an act that perhaps shows his shame. Meanwhile, KH/YR and DH/JA both show such excitement and desperation to move quickly and get to where the other person is. They don't care who is watching at all.

And if you think about how 'Running' is what drawn DH to JA in the first place (on JA's resume), I'm led to believe it's not just a one-off or insignificant action:

Episode 7, when DH asked JA why she put down 'Running' as her hobby, she replied: 'When I'm running...I disappear. I feel like that's the real me.'

Episode 8, DH shared why he was drawn to such a resume, quoting his friend Gyum Duk: 'Everyone struggles for their whole life, trying to have things...but nobody truly knows what they are gaining by doing that...when the things that you thought made you who you are don't actually seem to provide you with any inner strength, you've got nothing' 'Maybe that's why I gravitated toward a resume that just said "running" instead of the other resumes that were decked out.'

It seems to me that to DH too, the act of running is something that is honest and shows the real inner strength, real inner feelings of a person.

Don't remember if there are other scenes where characters are running - will need to keep an eye on this on my rewatch - the only scene that comes to mind is where KH/the Hugye gang run while threatening to kill the bastard who got DH all battered - how very refreshing and honest.

• Like 13

SG:heart:IU doing the English subs for the latest IU TV vid and here's a preview

Jian asking for appearance fees LMAO To be continued...

Spoiler

Q0ICbNe.jpg

2RvvIvu.jpg

Note the English subs of the captions above^^

Y9XNosr.jpg

t95s2TS.jpg

Hmmmm, notice the way she was holding her own personal iPhone with her purse above^^

[Speculation only] She used her own personal iPhone instead of the Samsung phone in this scene in My Mister?????? 

Spoiler

Anyway, this is her iPhone case/protective cover with the Ji-an sticker.  Yes, her iPhone case/protective cover was slightly damaged (bottom left)

Spoiler

• Like 10

1 hour ago, andius said:

@sadiesmith At first I'm just really drawn to the way these people show their true colours in running. For DJY, it was more a light jog than an actual mad dash - he's not in a rush. He also keeps his face carefully hidden - it's an act that perhaps shows his shame. Meanwhile, KH/YR and DH/JA both show such excitement and desperation to move quickly and get to where the other person is. They don't care who is watching at all.

And if you think about how 'Running' is what drawn DH to JA in the first place (on JA's resume), I'm led to believe it's not just a one-off or insignificant action:

Episode 7, when DH asked JA why she put down 'Running' as her hobby, she replied: 'When I'm running...I disappear. I feel like that's the real me.'

Episode 8, DH shared why he was drawn to such a resume, quoting his friend Gyum Duk: 'Everyone struggles for their whole life, trying to have things...but nobody truly knows what they are gaining by doing that...when the things that you thought made you who you are don't actually seem to provide you with any inner strength, you've got nothing' 'Maybe that's why I gravitated toward a resume that just said "running" instead of the other resumes that were decked out.'

It seems to me that to DH too, the act of running is something that is honest and shows the real inner strength, real inner feelings of a person.

Don't remember if there are other scenes where characters are running - will need to keep an eye on this on my rewatch - the only scene that comes to mind is where KH/the Hugye gang run while threatening to kill the bastard who got DH all battered - how very refreshing and honest.

@andius, I find it ironic that while LJA likes the fact that she feels invisible when she is running, it is this very action that first got DH to notice her.  And like you said, when she runs to DH, she does not care who sees her, like there is no shame in what she is doing, there is nothing to hide.  

• Like 5

On 8.6.2018 at 11:02 AM, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

My Mister behind the scenes by IU T

Screen shots by https://twitter.com/iumushimushi/status/1005014526729732096

Uploaded to imgur

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

@mylovelystar  Oh wow.  I think that scene with Lee Ji An's eyes filling with tears happened right after the camera focused on Dong Hoon smiling that big smile at her.  Remember the scene was cut and the next one showed them already outside by the bushes?  She was probably so happy and relieved that he was happy to see her, which made her realize that he made good on his promise that when they see each other again, he will smile warmly at her.  I wish they showed that.  It would have made for a very powerful reunion scene between them.  

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 6

On 6/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, akhenaten said:
Spoiler

@andius  @ccl82  @sadiesmith  I actually watched Goblin but not while it was airing.   Funny enough, I loved it.  However, I went into it with an anime mindset so my expectations were different.  I was ready for the fantastical and funny.  I wasn't looking for anything heavy or earth-shattering.  Maybe that's why I was able to appreciate it.  :)    The chemistry between Gong Yoo's Kim Shin and Lee Dong Wook's Grim Reaper was so good!  They were really so funny.  The way their characters interacted actually had an anime vibe.  But I also appreciated Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun's relationship in the drama, primarily because of the anime mindset.  He was an immortal so of course he would be so much older than she was.  And she was his bride through mystical circumstances.  Anyway, they didn't come together until he returned and she was already an adult by then. So I didn't have any issues with the age gap.  And that gap was huge, by the way.  Around a millennia.  So the age gap of our MA couple would have nothing on the Goblin couple.  Hahaha!  But I found the romance between Kim Shin and Ji Eun Tak beautiful from a fantasy perspective.  I think the key to appreciating it is to look at her as a reincarnated soul, so her age at the end of the drama when they meet again is not that of the high school girl that she happens to be at that time.  

Having said all of that, I don't think there's any comparison to MA.  This is a completely different genre.  MA has no hint of fantasy.  And it's a story of ordinary people in ordinary circumstances.  Besides, I think Gong Yoo and Lee Sun Kyun are different types of actors.  To me, Gong Yoo would be more of a celebrity kind of actor.  Not that he isn't skilled or talented but he would be the kind that's more well-known for his celebrity status than for his acting prowess through no fault of his own.  Lee Sun Kyun is a character actor.  To my mind, celebrity actors often have larger-than-life personas so that gets superimposed onto the characters they play.  What comes out is a character that's a composite of the celebrity persona and the actual character.  Character actors, on the other hand, transform into the characters they play.  Since they aren't celebrities, there is no persona that overwhelms the personality of the character they portray.  Their own personalities cease to be once they're in character.  Not sure if I'm making any sense but it's like saying Kim Shin is Gong Yoo playing him.  Park Dong Hoon, on the other hand, is Park Dong Hoon.  Lee Sun Kyun was just a medium that made him come to life.  

If this was a movie, I think Gong Yoo is actually able to play a character like Dong Hoon. Have you guys seen A Man and A Woman? He just needs to look less pretty. 

On 6/10/2018 at 11:10 PM, h2ogirl said:
Spoiler

Our resident writer-nim @justamom's amazing, ongoing fanfic:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/14713524/chapters/34004451

Other fanfics:

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/나의 아저씨 | My Mister (TV)/works

http://eatalottransferstudent.tumblr.com/

---

@ccl82 What I have so far:

Ep 15: DH enters CD's place

https://i.imgur.com/TtwuoSO.gifv

Shipper DJY

Wire-tap me all you want 

Thank you! If you notice, right from earlier episodes, DJY seems to be the first one to catch on to something. Everytime JA tells him stuff about DH, he has this look on his face. Like, "Hmmm... what's going on here? Can't quite put my finger on it, but something's up for sure."

On 6/11/2018 at 12:21 AM, anipanch said:
Spoiler

@andius definitely give Goblin a try, you won't be disappointed. It was my number 1 drama before I discovered MA, now it's 1.5 haha, I love it too much to give It a second place :lol: 

Seeing the posts, it seems like I'm in a minority when it comes to being Gong Yoo's fan. I love that man endlessly both as an actor and a person, he is just too lovable for me. I watched 3 movies and another drama only for him.

As for Goblin, I'd highlight the bromance, beautiful human stories of side characters and a masterful cinematography, which was gorgeous.

I'm a Gong Yoo fan too! Not a huge one, but I can watch his stuff, and I find him a likeable person. 

• Like 4