[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

12 hours ago, andius said:

A lurker here dropping by to say thank you guys for all the analysis, news, and translation work you do to keep the fire for the show going strong even after it's ended! To be honest, I was really bummed by the ending and the implication that DH stayed with his wife (which to me was so out of nowhere and totally inconsistent with what the story's been telling us), but your posts helped me make sense of it all. Thanks to you I was able to calm down and realise it doesn't really matter that they don't show DH and JA kiss or confess their love on screen, because their actions speak so much louder than what they say (Screenwriting 101: Show, don't tell!)

Just a minor detail I think might be interesting: I remember JA mentioned twice (?) how she felt pathetic wandering around at night, hoping to see him, just once. She's always stated it as one of the things because of her feelings for him. But who else is always looking around, trying to catch a glimpse of another person?

Reveal hidden contents

Ep 10 (DH waits for JA at their bar, hoping to run into her.)

Ep 11 (DH steps outside for a non-smoke and looks around at the empty street)

Ep 12 (DH simply zones out in the middle of his friends' chatter and looks for a figure of a certain somebody)

Ep 14 (Promotion? What promotion?)

Ep 15 (Yes the whole desperate searching sequence...I really do feel bad for him, running around the area of that payphone aimlessly. What would even be the chances of catching her there?)

I honestly did not expect there to be so many moments. Before I went to do the screenshots I only had the moments of e14 and 15 in mind, but the more I dig, the more I see.

Welcome Andius! You've captured some of the most heartbreaking Dong Hoon scenes! Longing, looking, hoping. Those stills made my heart stir again. 

And I actually woke up this morning thinking I was back to normal programming...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I couldn't figure this out due to my limited Korean, but is this a reference to goose fathers?

This is what DH is watching when YH tells him off for drinking so much and keeps talking about interest rates / opening up his own business.

I thought he was watching two swans. Swans mate for life, and his growing dissatisfaction with what she was saying, coupled with what he was watching, made me think he was very dissatisfied with the mate he had chosen for life.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Hi, Everyone:

Thank you so much for the insightful observations and conversations about My Mister! I have been reading all of the wonderful posts for sometime now, but this is my first time posting. Today, I found an interview with Park Hae-Young, the scriptwriter of My Mister. The interview was published in February 2017. I think, while she doesn't mention My Mister, it is quite interesting. She talks about her writing process. Here is the link to it.http://eng.kofice.or.kr/c00_hallyuInsights/c00_hallyuInsights_01_view.asp?seq=7870   I also came across a review of My Mister. At the end of the review is the following sentence, "It's the kind of drama so good you wish you wrote it!" You might want to take a look at it https://melissaleavesthevillage.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/this-weeks-pick-my-ajusshi/

Please add my name to the list of those willing to help with creating a more organized online resource about My Mister. Thanks to you all from Northern California!!

Edited by H2OcolorGirl
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Thank you all for the kind words :D It's always great to know I'm not alone in my obsession with DH's longing looks...

@sadiesmith I actually did not remember that moment with DH and KH from episode 4. I think those two instances definitely create a pattern, and as this term plays such an important part in DH's character, every time it appears must have some reason to it. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it in my rewatch now.

Talking about thanks, I notice that DH thanked JA a lot. It first began on the train, after the 5 million won fiasco, when he thanked her for throwing the money away. And their last scene together after the timeskip, he also said it. My heart always breaks whenever he said this the way he did - so full of hidden emotions, as if there were so many other things he wished he could say, but he couldn't, so he settled with one simple word - 'Thanks'.

@H2OcolorGirlthank you for the interview! As a writer myself, I found it really interesting to have a glimpse into how successful writers actually work.

Edited by andius
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Hello there, @andius, what an induction post!  Thank you for the screenshots and for pointing out that she's not the only pathetic one looking to get a glimpse of him.  Great parallel!  As people on Tumblr like to say, Park Dong Hoon is clearly not a man in love. He just likes to make sure his coworker-turned-little sister is always within sight.  But wait, doesn't that make him a stalker?  :rolleyes:

I also like this parallel as pointed out by http://parkdonghoons.tumblr.com/tagged/alex+liveblogs/page/2:

Spoiler

The reverse:

You know what I loved about that scene? Right before that, Dong Hoon's with his colleagues, who are all awkward and unsure how to deal with the news of his wife's affair, and talking about how awesome Lee Ji An turned out to be.

That's when he gives them the side-eye.

None of you know her like I do. But it's my little secret. (my words)

And right there and then, his little secret messages him. In their own secret code, "buy me something?", she tells him. I want to see you.

@H2OcolorGirl Welcome!! I used to live in NorCal as well. Calling @h2ogirl you have a friend! H2O + H2O colour =??? (sorry bad joke) I'm trying to add you to the group but it's not working at the moment...will try again later

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 11

A lurker here dropping by to say thank you guys for all the analysis, news, and translation work you do to keep the fire for the show going strong even after it's ended! To be honest, I was really bummed by the ending and the implication that DH stayed with his wife (which to me was so out of nowhere and totally inconsistent with what the story's been telling us), but your posts helped me make sense of it all. Thanks to you I was able to calm down and realise it doesn't really matter that they don't show DH and JA kiss or confess their love on screen, because their actions speak so much louder than what they say (Screenwriting 101: Show, don't tell!)

Just a minor detail I think might be interesting: I remember JA mentioned twice (?) how she felt pathetic wandering around at night, hoping to see him, just once. She's always stated it as one of the things because of her feelings for him. But who else is always looking around, trying to catch a glimpse of another person?

Hide contents

Ep 12 (DH simply zones out in the middle of his friends' chatter and looks for a figure of a certain somebody)

Ep 15 (Yes the whole desperate searching sequence...I really do feel bad for him, running around the area of that payphone aimlessly. What would even be the chances of catching her there?)

I honestly did not expect there to be so many moments. Before I went to do the screenshots I only had the moments of e14 and 15 in mind, but the more I dig, the more I see.

Thanks @andius! Actually if you go back as early as episode 1 and episode 2, DH keeps looking at JA already. :lol: and he keeps trying to strike a conversation. He never does that with any other woman in the show he even looks snubbish or his brothers say he is too shy. Shy my a** haha. :lol: He must really find JA intriguing. I actually chuckled when I rewatched earlier episodes. I see a guy intrigued and drawn I was thinking Oh DH you dont know what you are in for! :lol:

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 6
  • LOL 6

Reveal hidden contents

Hi @andius! Welcome! Nice to see another one added to our bunch. :)

Thanks for sharing the screenshots of Dong Hoon’s discreet but terribly consistent longing for Ji An.  Those scenes have always been some of my personal favorites, particularly because of their execution, from LSK’s portrayal to the lighting and the background music.  Park Dong Hoon never says anything in those scenes yet you can clearly see in his eyes how anxious he is to see Ji An.  I love the little nuances that LSK puts into Dong Hoon’s facial expressions and body language: the slight squinting into the distance, as if it would allow him to see her faster when she comes into view, the seeming nonchalance while talking to someone else yet all the while you can see the tension in the way he holds himself.  The unlit cigarette that’s intended to add to that nonchalance.

The way the drama shows those scenes makes me feel like I’m watchingan extremely private moment for Dong Hoon.  As if I’m getting inside his head. Because if you think about it, no one really knows how much he’s longing to see Ji An in those moments.  He doesn’t even want to admit that feeling of longing to himself.  

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Wow, Lee Ji Ah is looking very ethereal in her latest spread in Vogue.  There is an accompanying interview in which she said a few things about her role as Kang Yoon Hee and a tiny mention of LSK.  

http://www.vogue.co.kr/2018/06/07/이지아의-빛나는-순간/

What beautiful photos, and a beautiful interview. I've looked at her younger photos and can't help but wonder....what did she do to her face???

"Kang Yoon Hee is really such a lonely, isolated character. It's why she cheated, even though it was wrong. I tried my best to express her situation and suffering. If people can understand that, I would be so relieved."

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@kdramafanlsk yes I remember his awkward attempts at conversation with JA in the beginning episodes :D when he tried to ask her out for drinks as thanks but she had an appointment with JY so she kept silent... it was so cute! I wonder how he explained his own intrigue to JA to himself...

@akhenaten LSK is really excellent at saying things with his eyes, his body language...it’s really impossible not to fall in love tbh!

@mylovelystar Thank you! Where are those lines, do you know? Somehow I cannot remember - I’m really due for a rewatch...

• Like 7

I was away and could not access this site for 5 days and I thought I would have to catch up two or three pages but it moved 7 or 8 pages and we are 3 weeks removed from the final episode! The comments and insight continue to be amazing! I so love and appreciate the translations of articles and videos from those who provide them. I especially loved the photo of LSK and LJE from the get together last Friday. Seeing them together acting so comfortable with one another makes me so happy. It shows me partially the connection that JA and DH might have after the final scene and partially the bond that the actors formed in real life which will continue long into the future.

It looks like they are contemplating over some kind of word or number puzzle. But I think their pondering faces represent all of us thinking about what do all the traffic lights mean? What kind of relationship do DH and JA have in the future? Did we confuse the audience enough like we intended to? Maybe we just should have kissed in the last shot!

I wish all shows had multiple endings and the viewers got to choose what ending they want. We seldom are happy with what the writer wants so shoot alternatives and we will pick happy or sad or open or crazy. I know it will never happen but that is my wish as I blow out the candles.

Finally, I was at the beach Friday evening. Looking out at the ocean and waiting for the sun to set I thought about DH and JA. I wondered what it would be like to see them at the beach together watching the sunset. What they would be thinking, what would they be feeling. Am I crazy? (definitely yes). I'm thinking about characters in a drama in my real life activities!!! Oh MA, what have you done to me?!

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

@andius  @ALLABOUTIU twitter account quoted the English subs from YHY Sketchbook episode 400.

Here's @squishy_blob's translation:

-YHY said, “Whenever I meet you, you’re both acting and singing well” and asked what her most memorable quote from My Mister is. -IU replied, “There’s one line about life which goes, ‘I wondered why people act so low and realized that’s because they don’t love.’

-IU then made a reference to One Million Roses OST, which goes, “Without any hate, hate, hate / When I only give love without any reserve / a million, million, million roses bloom”. When you’re in love with someone, you don’t cheat/behave lowly.

• Like 10

On 6/5/2018 at 12:09 PM, justamom said:

P.S. I'm going to ask him/her to pass a message to the PD team about how much we loved the show, and that we have fans from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Russia, the US, Kenya! Anyone else? Let me know!

Land down under :wink:

Has anyone placed an order yet? It's a catch twenty-two - unguaranteed English subs vs not getting a copy? Will have to be diligent about learning Korean I suppose.

Do blu-ray releases normally take that long? December 2019 release or is that a typo?

• Like 5

Ok, so if anyone is still interested... 

Freelancer rate Korean to English, USD6-8 per min, definitely not USD25! Still a whole lotta money.... 

@mushroomsoupie the English subs I've seen said something else. I think something along the lines of... because it doesn't love you, or something like that. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Wow, Lee Ji Ah is looking very ethereal in her latest spread in Vogue.  There is an accompanying interview in which she said a few things about her role as Kang Yoon Hee and a tiny mention of LSK.  

http://www.vogue.co.kr/2018/06/07/이지아의-빛나는-순간/

@sadiesmith @justamom  You two gave this reader a scare!  When you wrote Lee Ji Ah, this reader thought that is Lee Ji An!@@@   That is not possible!!!  Korean and their names!   Couldn't they pick some other names?   Lee Ji An vs Lee Ji Ah....   vs. Lee Ji Eun   vs. Park Dong Hoon vs.  Park Dong Woon!!!  hahaha

• LOL 10

1 hour ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I think IU's talking about this scene on episode 9.. Not sure if DramaFever's translation is accurate

Ah right, thanks! I've always found that conversation a bit weird so I didn't remember it...To be honest I found quite a few conversations throughout the series a bit off and with strange wording, and I could tell it was a translation problem. MA deserves better subtitle quality imo...really hope the international DVD release does this.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

Land down under :wink:

Has anyone placed an order yet? It's a catch twenty-two - unguaranteed English subs vs not getting a copy? Will have to be diligent about learning Korean I suppose.

Do blu-ray releases normally take that long? December 2019 release or is that a typo?

We seriously have fans from six continents of the world here! I'm so impressed by the extent of this drama's reach. Anyone from Antartica? :lol:

I wish they made it a deposit, rather than a prepayment. But from what I understand, if the drama isn't popular enough they won't even bother with a Director's Cut. It's sort of like a special service for fans of popular dramas. I don't think they make that much off it if they're only targeting 300 overseas orders.

They've taken the date off from promotional materials. They're a bit vague about date I think, because of what I said above -- if demand is insufficient they may not even produce it. 

(Edit)

For all of you missing Park Dong Hoon, check out this amazing fan video by @Kimchi Sweet Potato

My playlist was on auto mode when I suddenly heard Park Dong Hoon breathing in my ear...LOL what a great video! So much feels. I had to stop halfway cos my heart couldn't take it...

• Like 9

21 hours ago, ccl82 said:

@andius Don't forget when he asked his divorced restaurateur friend if JA's been there. That was episode 8 I think.

Ep 7, actually!

5QKV4cS.jpg

11 hours ago, justamom said:

@H2OcolorGirl Welcome!! I used to live in NorCal as well. Calling @h2ogirl you have a friend! H2O + H2O colour =??? (sorry bad joke) I'm trying to add you to the group but it's not working at the moment...will try again later

If you are H2O too, then you're toxic! :lol: @H2OcolorGirl

16 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I just realized another thing and you guys can tell me if it is far-fetched.  How many times did the phrase "it doesn't matter/it's nothing" get spoken before episode 15 where the three brothers got together and cry?  I can only think of two instances.  The first one was in episode 4 when Ki Hoon in his rage over Sang Hoon's humiliation had to be held from behind by Dong Hoon before he would calm down.  The second time was when DH visited his monk friend and again, the monk hugged him from behind and told him it's nothing.  At both times the men receiving the hug struggled but eventually calmed down.  This made me think that Park father must have done the same thing to the boys in his effort to calm them down, giving them a back hug while telling them it's no big deal.  While they would often struggle and refuse, they did eventually give in.  

As far as I can remember no one else said the words until Ji An texted them to DH in the car on their way home after the heart-to-heart session.  The funny thing here was DH did not "struggle" or "refuse" the message, instead he gratefully thanked her.  He must have felt her arms around him even without her physical presence, and he let that "embrace" comfort him.  But the thought of receiving (perceived) physical and/or emotional comfort from a woman not his wife must really bother him, and that's why he could not bring himself up to thank her directly.

And now you're all gonna ruin my theory by showing me a million other times the words were uttered without a hug. :lol:

Interesting thought, but there were a few more instances, actually. As crazy as it sounds, I'm keeping a log after @tiger457_stv sunbae-nim jokingly mentioned it sometime ago... and the first time DH says "It's no big deal" (아무것도 아니야) is in ep 6, when he's indirectly talking about YH's affair with JA. I remember that he tells her this again when they're walking to the bus stop from Halmeoni's hospice in ep 10... I''ll get back to you with the actual count later. (The "thank you" log is the most interesting so far. DH sure thanked JA a LOT of times.)

5B4BMvA.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2