[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

@andius  that’s why I want to see them do another project together with characters that will be the complete opposite of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An.  They can do a rom-com or a straightforward, really serious and mature kind of romance.  I think they can pull it off.  That’s why it has to be a movie coz a tv drama would have too many restrictions. With their chemistry, I can only imagine the feels!  :wub:

• Like 10

@akhenaten Please check your PM:glasses:

IU sang I don't wanna love somebody else

@justamom  Please check your PM:glasses:

나의아저씨 감독판 추진팀 @my__mister replied regarding English subs for the Director's cut (Blu-ray)

Nothing has been decided yet. We'll do my best on that. But to be like that, It takes a lot of participation. If there's any other news about that, I’ll let you know! I’m sorry and thank you!

Cute Ji-an

OST

• Like 11

4 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

My Mister behind the scenes by IU TV

Thank you!! 

The best moment for me was seeing Lee Seon Gyun off camera, before they shot that final scene. Lee Ji Eun was joking around, he saw her, and he just remained totally in character. 100% Park Dong Hoon right there. He must have been going through the emotions of their "break up" and that's how we got that beautiful confession, Park Dong Hoon coming close to breaking...

Why do you have to go...so far?

viewimage.php?id=20a4dd2ff6c63db4%26no=2

16 hours ago, popai5 said:

Joking aside, your mention of the 'goose fathers' had me thinking of the scene after playing soccer when KH and SH ran from the police and SH tore his goose down jacket on the fence. Although it wasn't DH's jacket do you think it could represent the 'goose fathers' and DH? That DH's goose father life is now ripped. The feathers are flying everywhere, it's a mess. DH's life is a mess. The jacket is patched/mended with the work sticker as a temporary fix but it isn't/can't be properly mended. Also, goose down keeps you warm but now that some feathers have been lost DH's life/the marriage grows colder. I think this was an earlier soccer outing but then at the later soccer match where we see DH in the passenger seat after the game and his friend gives the heart sign then when he drives off we see JA standing staring at DH. Take off that jacket and throw it away. Now JA is/will be the new source of his warmth.

Oh absolutely. That's such a beautiful insight.

@Kimchi Sweet Potato yes I noticed we've been on the front page for weeks and weeks! Everyone else must be wondering what's going on :lol:

21 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

A quick Ctrl + F search reveals that he also said "It's no big deal" in the beginning of ep 10 to his neighborhood pals when they express concern about his beat-up condition (but the Korean phrase is different - 별거 아니야).

---

Edit:

@justamom OMG, chakka-nim!!!!!! Chapter 11 was pitch-perfect!!!! AHHHHH *heart eyes*

Control F?? What are you Ctrl +F-ing????? 

You have lists of thank yous. That is just amazing. We really must get this fan site done. We can't just let these beautiful analysis and essays e.g. @rellea's translation slip into nothingness. I've been meaning to respond to that but I'm still digesting it....The original poster must have written something about episodes 13-16 as well?

I have been (slowly) rewatching and just started Episode 3. The morning after he discovers Ji An "saved" him by throwing the bribe money in the trash. He arrives at the platform and what does he do? He glances around, looking for her.

Man, you really don't know what's hit you...

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

hahah why is the forum so active??? The writer should see this place and publish a detailed explanation about the last episode and give us a story of how DH and JA will continue their relationship. No? okay 

Spoiler

I'm so sorry for dropping this question here, I'm just too lazy to go over the  soompi thread. I just finished watching "Signal" and honestly the last two episodes were too much for me to take in. It was kinda a let down for me, the suspense was overdone and overall nothing made sense for me. Do you guys know any well-known theories that explain the ending? What the actual f*** happened, I just really want to know, I'd really appreciate if someone DMed me, who watched the drama and kindly enlighten me?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Favourite Scenes from Episode 2: Park Dong Hoon Tries to Relax

Okay, I really need to learn how to do gifs.

The scene of Dong Hoon trying to smoke at the convenience store after he gets kicked out of his office.

Sang Hoon: You can't lose your job.

He takes out a cigarette, puts it in his mouth, then glances at the pack. Smoking Kills. Just one, he thinks. I'll let myself loose just once. 

The rest of the pack goes in the trash.

He takes out his lighter. Flick, flick. Even the damned lighter isn't working today. In the trash, too.

Then why am I still holding this cigarette?!

Park Dong Hoon desperately wants to let himself go, but this scene for me was a sign of his complete inability to do so.

Favourite scene from Episode 3 so far: it ain't about the dried squid

Dong Hoon comes home, brushes off Yoon Hee's questioning. I found the money. I found it. He grabs a bottle of soju and a bag of what looks like dried squid from the fridge.

But she doesn't let up. "Found? Where?"

Dong Hoon, completely not in the know, answers honestly. "In the trash, someone found it and returned it."

Yoon Hee slips up. "Why did they say you found it in the trash?"

Something's wrong. Dong Hoon takes a moment to realise it. There's no way she would know that. 

"I called Do Joon Yeon."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because ... who else could I call? I couldn't reach you."

Dong Hoon, out of frustration, starts ripping the bag apart.

"Stop tearing it like that."

A big tear. Dried squid pieces fall out. Dong Hoon, completely bewildered.

"I'll put it back nicely."

Yoon Hee, completely not upset about the squid, storms off. Dong Hoon's appetite completely gone, he returns the soju and packs the dried squid again. Approaches Yoon Hee in her room.

"I'm sorry ... it's just that... that man has greed in his eyes."

----

Those two scenes were masterful. Pure mastery of the craft of screenwriting. @andius are you taking notes?? I am completely in awe.

P.S. In the video @mylovelystar shared, someone says "IU's back now." But she answers: "Lee Ji An is still inside me". And that, truly, I think is the truth. Even before she became IU, Lee Ji An was already inside her.

• Like 12

21 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I just edited my original reply... but the answer to your question is "yes". Off the top of my head, he tells JA "It's no big deal" (아무것도 아니야) in ep 10:

JA: I wonder if anyone will want to be close to me after they find out that I've killed someone. Even the people who'd been close to me while being unaware of that... all looked conflicted... after they found out what kind of person I am. "How do I separate myself from her?"

DH: If you don't consider it to be important... then other people won't either. And if you consider it to be serious then others will think of it that way, too. That's how everything works. You're the one who decides that. What happened in the past... is no big deal. If you consider it to be no big deal then it's no big deal. Live by the name that you were given. You were given a great name, after all.

---

A quick Ctrl + F search reveals that he also said "It's no big deal" in the beginning of ep 10 to his neighborhood pals when they express concern about his beat-up condition (but the Korean phrase is different - 별거 아니야).

Hi, I don’t know if someone pointed this out already, but I’m currently doing my first rewatch (convinced my mom to watch it!) and DH says this phrase in early episodes. I don’t remember the first time, but since I just rewatched ep4, I can tell you he says “It’s no big deal” to the villa owner when he goes to confront him about the kneeling incident. It’s  also one of the first recordings JA listens in to, and the first time she is moved to tears over DH’s actions/words. She thinks about her own past and actions when DH says to the villa owner:

“Yeah, it’s no big deal. No matter what I’m subjected to, it doesn’t matter as long as my family doesn’t know. But you can’t do something like that [i.e. humiliate/hurt someone] in front of someone’s family. If you do that in front of their family...[*JA flashbacks to KI’s father beating her, and a weak and battered JA taking the beating resignedly i.e. “it’s no big deal”*]...then I could possibly kill you. [*flashback then shows KI’s father hitting JA’s grandmother (i.e. her family), and JA snaps and stabs him*]”

I love this scene because it’s probably the first time JA really connects and resonates with DH: My own pain is no big deal. Beat me, humiliate me, hurt me. It’s no big deal. But mess with my family, and I won’t stand for it. I might even kill you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@justamom Yes I am! I'm constantly in awe of the ways this show utilises subtext. Many shows forget that actions speak so much louder than words! And of course, something needs to be said about how well the director and the actors translate the script onscreen, too.

@ellesina 'My own pain is no big deal' indeed. Reminds me of when JA is willing to sacrifice herself and run away to protect DH's reputation, and how DH is willing to throw all that to the wind because the thought of JA in pain is too much for him to bear.

There are several recurring themes in MA, and every time it happens it really makes itself known, doesn't it. One watch is definitely not enough to catch all the underlying meaning - and I'm simply helpless against shows like this.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Control F?? What are you Ctrl +F-ing????? 

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I Ctrl + F'd "It's no big deal" in the Dramafever .srt file for ep 10.

@ellesina Thanks for pointing that out, chingu-ya. I'll pay more attention while logging. :wink:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I Ctrl + F'd "It's no big deal" in the Dramafever .srt file for ep 10.

@ellesina Thanks for pointing that out, chingu-ya. I'll pay more attention while logging. :wink:

I had no idea you could do that! How on earth does that work?? So it's a text file?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

Hah, so I was not the only one wondering what the heck @h2ogirl did Ctrl+F on.  LOL!  I then assumed it was on Dramabeans recaps, even while saying to myself but the recaps are not even that thorough.  :lol:  You're amazing, @h2ogirl.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justamom said:

I had no idea you could do that! How on earth does that work?? So it's a text file?

For me, I use windows notepad to open a .srt file.

Ctrl + F to find the keywords....

--------

In character

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Hah, so I was not the only one wondering what the heck @h2ogirl did Ctrl+F on.  LOL!  I then assumed it was on Dramabeans recaps, even while saying to myself but the recaps are not even that thorough.  :lol:  You're amazing, @h2ogirl.

I think we just revealed our age there LOL

For those reading...Chapter 12 is up! The last two chapters have been emotionally draining, to say the least. Don't cry :ph34r:

I did a lot of research into Buddhism for this chapter. I think Dong Hoon and Ji An's relationship, and a big part of the show is deeply rooted in Buddhism's fundamental principles. Will share my thoughts another time. Goodnight!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Can we all take a moment to appreciate LSK's gracefulness at handling the soccer ball?  He moves like a dancer seriously.  What a coincidence that the character found an actor who is similarly skillful on the field.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Can we all take a moment to appreciate LSK's gracefulness at handling the soccer ball?  He moves like a dancer seriously.  What a coincidence that the character found an actor who is similarly skillful on the field.

I recently watched the 2 Days 1 Night "Best friend special" episode (2011) in which LSK guested. There is a very fun and funny volley match and his soccer skills were definitely the highlight to me :))). Starts at around 11:45. (Apologies if this has been posted before. When I first found this forum about a week ago, I only backtracked as far as around page 220?) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, ellesina said:

I recently watched the 2 Days 1 Night "Best friend special" episode (2011) in which LSK guested. There is a very fun and funny volley match and his soccer skills were definitely the highlight to me :))). Starts at around 11:45. (Apologies if this has been posted before. When I first found this forum about a week ago, I only backtracked as far as around page 220?)

A man with the sexiest voice in the world, who can also cook!!!!

Lee Seon Gyun has my heart:heart:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@andius  that’s why I want to see them do another project together with characters that will be the complete opposite of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An.  They can do a rom-com or a straightforward, really serious and mature kind of romance.  I think they can pull it off.  That’s why it has to be a movie coz a tv drama would have too many restrictions. With their chemistry, I can only imagine the feels!  :wub:

Happy Friday to everyone here:) I need a serious REPEAT of this LJE and LSG professional partnership. That chemistry and tension between them is really something it cannot just end in one project. I am praying for a heavy drama or a suspense thriller movie if LJE decides to do it in the near future. The onscreen spark will never disappear between those two, they are like successful old Hollywood    onscreen couples that might have been soulmates from their previous lives. Special shoutout to @berny for that great explanation about the reasoning behind LJE and LSG's magnetic screen chemistry.  Also thank you @mylovelystar for posting the pics of LSG and LJE in that second cast celebration party. Again those two with their spark, all they need is to occupy the same space together and that's about it. The palpable feels:wub: pls be still my heart. 

I just received the official My Ajusshi OST (it took almost a month!) in my mailbox today. My first time ever ordering a physical copy of an OST after being a kdrama viewer since early 2000. The official CD is worth to wait and not disappointing for being a hard core fan of My Ajusshi all the extra autograph pictures of LJE and LSG that comes into the package I deeply appreciated it. Another first for me:huh:.            I have never cared with any other dramas to order CDs, giggle like a schoolgirl with the album cover:rolleyes:, worry about a Blu ray collector's edition, and some weird stuff like that. Now I understand the feeling when they say "fangirling" . I can't believe I am doing it after years of being in k-drama world but here I am sucked into the Jian and Dong Hoon love pool or should I say a black hole in space? Usually by the time the drama ends I will be ok after a week but this OTP is different. It is almost a month after My Ajusshi ended and I am still not over my withdrawal. In fact, I am rewatching it again so that I won't get pissed off because I missed it so much. Geez I'm hopeless:lol:

I guess I will join the rest of you guys here and order the Blu Ray too even without the guarantees of an English subtitles. Just because of all the possible extras that comes with the collector's edition which is worth it for me. I can just endlessly gawk about it in Soompi and hopefully our Korean speaking chingus here will still be around and translate. I hope the distributor and producer of that Blu Ray collector's edition will seriously consider investing on hiring an English, Spanish, and Chinese translators for subtitles. The product will be more marketable that way especially  across the globe and will triple their profits quite honestly. There is already an international cult following for My Ajusshi. What's the point of producing something if it does not appeal to an international audience because of a language barrier? 

• Like 20

On 6/7/2018 at 9:25 AM, tiger457_stv said:

Korean and their names!   Couldn't they pick some other names?   Lee Ji An vs Lee Ji Ah....   vs. Lee Ji Eun   vs. Park Dong Hoon vs.  Park Dong Woon!!!  hahaha

It is funny how the names are so similar. I think the writer did that deliberately. JA’s married female co-worker is having an affair with another married Manager Park, kind of like an evil mirror image of JA and DH.

Also, because DH’s name gets mixed up with DW’s, JA gave him DW’s mail by mistake. When he gets up to give it back to her, that’s when he notices her stealing the instant coffee. Instead of confronting her about it, he worriedly looks at the camera. This scene shows us how kind he is, and also gives him a clue about her poverty. He then starts to notice other things about her. Her not being able to afford the persimmons, buying the adult diapers, and not wearing enough for the cold weather, lets him be ok with buying her that first meal she asks for (until it turns into blackmail). She later learns through the wiretap that he had also noticed how tense she was, that he was afraid of what had happened to her in her past. He knows her, just like she knows him. The name mix-up, of course, had also led to the bribery plot, further entangling the two of them together.

They even have discussions about what their names mean. JA’s name is very important, and she must live up to her name by “achieving comfort” by the end of the drama. The actress’s name and background in real life is also very similar to her character’s, perhaps making it easier to become her and give the performance of her life.

Even though DH says his name doesn’t mean anything, there’s a teaser title that refers to him as “A Common Guy With an Uncommon Name.”

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, fauna said:

Even though DH says his name doesn’t mean anything, there’s a teaser title that refers to him as “A Common Guy With an Uncommon Name.

I always wonder if the translation was a mistake and should have been the other way around: An Uncommon Guy with a Common Name.  Didn't someone earlier say that each character in the name Park Dong Hoon is very very common in Korean names?

• Like 2

Soompi Announcement

Our Events Team will be launching The Amazing Hunt on Monday 11June. Lots of fun, reputation points & prizes on the table. Check this out & come join us 

3 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

I just received the official My Ajusshi OST (it took almost a month!) in my mailbox today. My first time ever ordering a physical copy of an OST after being a kdrama viewer since early 2000. The official CD is worth to wait and not disappointing for being a hard core fan of My Ajusshi all the extra autograph pictures of LJE and LSG that comes into the package I deeply appreciated it. Another first for me:huh:.            I have never cared with any other dramas to order CDs, giggle like a schoolgirl with the album cover:rolleyes:, worry about a Blu ray collector's edition, and some weird stuff like that. Now I understand the feeling when they say "fangirling" . I can't believe I am doing it after years of being in k-drama world but here I am sucked into the Jian and Dong Hoon love pool or should I say a black hole in space? Usually by the time the drama ends I will be ok after a week but this OTP is different. It is almost a month after My Ajusshi ended and I am still not over my withdrawal. In fact, I am rewatching it again so that I won't get pissed off because I missed it so much. Geez I'm hopeless:lol:

Right there with you!! Also been watching since 2000 (Autumn Love anyone?) and have had plenty of favourites but nothing, nothing has hooked me like My Ahjussi! It ranks up there with my favourite movies like In the Mood for Love and The English Patient! It even toppled Secret Love Affair, my other top favourite drama and I never thought that would be possible. 

I ordered the OST along with the Director’s Cut, they were having a promotion so I saved a few bucks there.

There’s this video going viral of a kind Samaritan in a small city in Sichuan, China. And I couldn’t help thinking. Park Dong Hoon!!!!:lol:

• Like 11
  • LOL 2