[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

The 1st 2 episodes were pretty funny :D Cha Inpyo, Ra Miran and so many good actors. Jo Yoonhee's role is strong and cute at the same time and she acted so good.

Up until now, I like all the characters (except for Dongjin's wife). Thank you for your update.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been watching k-dramas in a long time, but decided to give this drama a try. I just watched the first episode, and I really really liked it. It was funny, but it also had lots of heart. I will definitely give this drama a try, even though it will run for 50 episodes.

Being a huge Choi Won-Young fan, it was refreshing to see him in a light and comedic role. I'm so used to see him in cold blood-chilling roles, I'm glad he decided to take this role. And may I say, he's certainly rocking the hair and the rock star clothes. :)

I really like all of the people introduced so far. Hopefully this show will get more viewers soon. It would be awesome to have great discussions on this thread. :)

Guest ororomunroe

So both our main leads are married, just not to each other :P 

I like the characters introduced so far, aside from the 'irritatingly evil' ones like the stepmother and her son. I find it interesting that all her careful planning might be destroyed because of her greedy son. But then again, it's possibly karma for taking advantaged of a mentally ill man. 

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. 

waving at @irilight :)

looks like folks have yet to check out this drama as we are still on page 3 only. are folks all tied up with the various romantic dramas that are airing this season? well hope more folks check it out because ep 1 was great. what did folks think?

like how the the writer has really weaved in the tailoring business almost like a character into the drama. here we have a store and the owner so intricately knitted together that to imagine himself without a store is painful for him. this isn't just a business but also his passion and joy. so to sell it off would be like cutting himself up which is why the old man leaves...

then we have the tailor's son. found it ironic that while we have donjin wanting to climb the corporate ladder of success, he is still doing it an apparel corporation that apparently sells suits. so even as he wants to be more ambitious, suits and tailoring is still a part of his life.

chicken guy and his wife were pretty funny. so was the singer whose singing days seem to be over. who sings a breakup song at a wedding? this guy! then we have the seamstress willing to marry a gangster (is he still a criminal who never left his old ways or was he caught in some coverup for meesa apparel?) because of her debt of gratitude. will he become her ex-husband? well, he still seems like a nice guy based on her flashback who went above and beyond to help her. it makes sense why she almost loves him if not actually cares for him.

then there is the young motorbike kid - is he the seamstress' brother? or like foster siblings? the scene where the old tailor gives him a free suit and tells him a suit gives a person confidence and helps to stand tall -- is that true? do people feel better when dressed well? guess in a way no? even if your situation may not be great, a great dress can be like a shield right? it is interesting that the old man takes pride in providing those shields for people.

overall, it looks like a great interesting start -- good solid actors and a drama that is likely to fly under the radar for international viewers because it doesn't have any of the usual pretty faces. but for those interested in a well-written story, this may be your cup of tea...

on a side note, a question to folks: how is the tailoring business in your region? I come from a place where the tailoring business is alive and kicking especially for traditional clothes. finding a good tailor for your outfit is no easy task and is something women discuss very seriously. it can actually be a great small business once a tailor becomes known for their cut and embroidery. knew one lady who started her tailoring business in a room outside her house. she went from stitching herself to hiring people because she couldn't keep up... for me, what was most interesting was that there was no board or even sign to indicate that it was a tailoring shop except the furious sound of sewing machines you could hear once you get close to her house. once you enter her shop, it was a mad dash of fabrics everywhere and clothes all stacked ready to be picked up by customers. books with the latest designs for traditional outfits and a small stool where you can sit and pursue. but she was great at her job -- she would take a look at the fabric and would tell you what design would work and wouldn't (flow of the fabric is important as well as the print) and what would look great on your body shape -- that is a sign of a great tailor!

@irilight ~ am liking this kbs world title of "the gentlemen of wolgyesu tailor shop"; think it more accurately captures the spirit of the drama in that it is not the suit that makes a man but rather the man that makes a suit. in the end of ep 2, we have a voice vignette of the old tailor who give his ideas on what makes a gentleman -- never give up etc -- and in that way, this title is better than the "laurel tree tailors shop" .. but out of curiosity, looked up the symbolism behind the laurel tree. so dried laurel leaves are also known as bay leaves and they are used for cooking. now back to laurel tree, so in ancient greece, the wreath put on winner's head was made out of laurel leaves and so laurel is a symbolism of glory and honour and stuff like that.... so it is kind of interesting in terms of where we see the men at end of ep 2 -- dong jin has been demoted from ceo to warehouse manager, the guitar (what else can I call him with his obsession with his special guitar) is cleaning a club and has lost his voice, the chicken guy is at home flipping through the photo albums of him as a tailor, the motorbike kid just found his girlfriend is cheating on him. so all of them are not exactly in their glory moment. instead, they are pretty much at the bottom. according to the old tailor, a gentleman is one who may fall many times but stands up. so how will they rise up?

by the way, has anyone ever heard of any adult running away in real life like the old tailor? my LOL moment was when the old tailor's wife said "has the grocery scarcrow left?" referring to the guitar... imagine any of the pop singers getting referred to as the grocery scarecrow! hahahah... :lol:

On 8/31/2016 at 2:39 PM, ororomunroe said:

So both our main leads are married, just not to each other :P 

while the wife was super mean -- imagine telling a guy that she will divorce him if he doesn't become CEO again -- the gangster was still reasonable. I like him and will not be sorry if she still ends up with him. he is making the choice to stay in jail in order to try provide a better life for both of them. she motivates him to do better but he simply lacks the skills and resources to make the right decisions and a lifetime of making the wrong choices make it seem like a year in jail for a trade off of getting a store a great deal. the way they motivate him -- you can have a proper wedding within a year -- they know that she is his motivation and his pivot. but even as he makes the choice, he still asks her "will you wait for me?" -- he is not ordering her to wait. he is not pleading or begging her like a typical whiny second lead stalker. instead, it is a question and request -- she has the option to say no.

whereas dong jin's wife was just some materialistic ambitious woman who lacks the skills and resources to become CEO herself. so instead, she marries an ambitious junior of her father in order to get him to do the work for her. she acts like she was fired and demoted -- perhaps from her perspective, she was? so dong jin needs to dump this woman but the gangster? :mellow:

On 8/31/2016 at 2:39 PM, ororomunroe said:

I like the characters introduced so far, aside from the 'irritatingly evil' ones like the stepmother and her son.

am liking some of these side characters as well like the crazy sister-in-law of dong jin -- she cries on seeing him crushed and demoted -- not the wife. even the chicken wife was hilarious -- was laughing when the chicken guy said on seeing her fight with the guitar "they have met their match!" and the twice divorced sister -- "maybe dad ran off with some woman like this old man who went away for a month to some exotic place?" -- what a way to soothe the mom! :D

only thing am not very crazy about is the OST and background instrumental....

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

while the wife was super mean -- imagine telling a guy that she will divorce him if he doesn't become CEO again -- the gangster was still reasonable. I like him and will not be sorry if she still ends up with him. he is making the choice to stay in jail in order to try provide a better life for both of them. she motivates him to do better but he simply lacks the skills and resources to make the right decisions and a lifetime of making the wrong choices make it seem like a year in jail for a trade off of getting a store a great deal. the way they motivate him -- you can have a proper wedding within a year -- they know that she is his motivation and his pivot. but even as he makes the choice, he still asks her "will you wait for me?" -- he is not ordering her to wait. he is not pleading or begging her like a typical whiny second lead stalker. instead, it is a question and request -- she has the option to say no.

whereas dong jin's wife was just some materialistic ambitious woman who lacks the skills and resources to become CEO herself. so instead, she marries an ambitious junior of her father in order to get him to do the work for her. she acts like she was fired and demoted -- perhaps from her perspective, she was? so dong jin needs to dump this woman but the gangster? :mellow:

Interesting viewpoint. I definitely agree with all of this. Still I can't help but feel like ex CEO Lee Dong-Jin and the seamstress Na Yeon-Sil are going to have romantic feelings for each other. At least, this is what the show has been insinuating during the first two episodes. I don't think Dong-Jin's wife is a very sympathetic character. Even though the gangster seems like a good guy towards Yeon-Sil, there might be surprises along the way that will push Yeon-Sil and Dong-Jin together...

7 hours ago, Lmangla said:

on a side note, a question to folks: how is the tailoring business in your region? I come from a place where the tailoring business is alive and kicking especially for traditional clothes. finding a good tailor for your outfit is no easy task and is something women discuss very seriously. it can actually be a great small business once a tailor becomes known for their cut and embroidery. knew one lady who started her tailoring business in a room outside her house. she went from stitching herself to hiring people because she couldn't keep up... for me, what was most interesting was that there was no board or even sign to indicate that it was a tailoring shop except the furious sound of sewing machines you could hear once you get close to her house. once you enter her shop, it was a mad dash of fabrics everywhere and clothes all stacked ready to be picked up by customers. books with the latest designs for traditional outfits and a small stool where you can sit and pursue. but she was great at her job -- she would take a look at the fabric and would tell you what design would work and wouldn't (flow of the fabric is important as well as the print) and what would look great on your body shape -- that is a sign of a great tailor!

In my region, the tailoring business is almost dead. Sure, people still use tailors and seamstresses for custom made wedding dresses and evening gowns, but most people just buy their clothes from department stores or shops. This is such a shame. :( I inherited beautiful hand-made dresses, evening gowns and skirt suits from a great-great aunt. These items were all made during the 1940's to 1960's in different parts of Europe. The quality and design is out of this world, and it would be impossible to find anything as beautiful as these clothes in H&M or GAP. ;-)

I just saw Ep 3, and the drama is keeping it going at the wonderful pacing like in the first 2 episodes.  I am a pretty hard-to-please viewer, but I am so far finding this turning out to be the best drama I have seen since YuNa's Street a few years ago.  That was a cable drama, some of which have typically more originality and production qualities than the junk that comes up on network TV.  It's been a long time since I have seen this many interesting characters assembled in a drama.  Originality seems to come from different directions too - either in acting and writing, or from crisp editing or musical score or whatever - even when they have some scenes that are not original and situations that we are somewhat used to.  Stuff like the washed up singer lifting his sunglasses at a funny instant in Ep 3.  For another instance, just when it seemed to be going sort of slow at the end of Ep 3 when DJ drives up to the Suit shop, just listen to the musical score that starts.  Simply great stuff all around.

I don't know how long they can keep this up in a 50 episode drama (even YuNa's Street had some 5 or 10 episodes after Ep 35 that were slow and took some sheen off the drama).  Let us see.  Anyway, I am so glad to have a good drama to enjoy for a while!

15 hours ago, partyon said:

Interesting viewpoint. I definitely agree with all of this. Still I can't help but feel like ex CEO Lee Dong-Jin and the seamstress Na Yeon-Sil are going to have romantic feelings for each other. At least, this is what the show has been insinuating during the first two episodes. I don't think Dong-Jin's wife is a very sympathetic character. Even though the gangster seems like a good guy towards Yeon-Sil, there might be surprises along the way that will push Yeon-Sil and Dong-Jin together...

yea, am sure these two are probably end game but I like how they didn't make the gangster into a jerk immediately. it kind of makes for a refreshing change from dramas like temptation of wife where the guy was a jerk and you are waiting for him to leave her or for her to grow a spine and leave... instead, he is flawed but so far he seems rather nice so far...

so it makes me wonder if the following or something of the sort will happen (putting in spoilers)

Spoiler

since he is taking the fall for whatever happened at meesa apparel, it makes me wonder if the brother-in-law will do something to result in the gangster's death/murder as he tries to cover the tracks... my guess is it may have something to do with the will and to block that coming out, the brother-in-law might do something.. and this will motivate both dong jin and yeon sil to make the shop into something that competes with meesa apparel and also win...

15 hours ago, partyon said:

In my region, the tailoring business is almost dead. Sure, people still use tailors and seamstresses for custom made wedding dresses and evening gowns, but most people just buy their clothes from department stores or shops. This is such a shame. :( I inherited beautiful hand-made dresses, evening gowns and skirt suits from a great-great aunt. These items were all made during the 1940's to 1960's in different parts of Europe. The quality and design is out of this world, and it would be impossible to find anything as beautiful as these clothes in H&M or GAP. ;-)

thats too bad.... but yea, there is a marked difference between tailored outfits and buying the same outfit from a retailer...

so was checking out this other drama (it made me roll my eyes within a few minutes -- way too annoying characters) and was struck by the beginning of this drama -- instead of either a childhood segment or the candy heroine or the tortured lead, it instead focuses on a young version of the old tailor and then pans into the store and we see a changing landscape even as the store remains present. then we see the old tailor cutting away. how often do we see a drama begin its introduction with an older character instead of the main lead? makes for an interesting change no?

tagging some familiar folks -- if you are little tired of all the romance dramas floating about and are looking for a change of pace, this may be worth a see. this drama seems to be well-written (at least from the first two episodes that I saw) and has interesting characters and setup. on the site I watch, it goes under the kbs world title "the gentlemen of wolgyesu tailor shop". cheers.

@lenet; @deandraluv; @bebebisous33; @jadecloud ; @trust71 ; @andy78 ; @my2centsworth ; @zenya22 ; @badsmuler ; @LHRCN ; @suchadiva42 ; @mdj101 ; @evie7 ; @ayselluna ; @gerrytan8063 ; @chubbychub1966 ; @ecs707a ; @airgelaal ; @jongski ; @dekaron ; @lclarakl ; @hushhh

cute rabbit 2 029

I get nearly all my formal clothes stitched, my region does not have the clothing for my height

Yeah I think so too, the gangster guy will most likely be killed off but the mother in law will still hold a firm grasp over YeonSil for a long time

Guest my2centsworth
1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

so was checking out this other drama (it made me roll my eyes within a few minutes -- way too annoying characters) and was struck by the beginning of this drama -- instead of either a childhood segment or the candy heroine or the tortured lead, it instead focuses on a young version of the old tailor and then pans into the store and we see a changing landscape even as the store remains present. then we see the old tailor cutting away. how often do we see a drama begin its introduction with an older character instead of the main lead? makes for an interesting change no?

tagging some familiar folks -- if you are little tired of all the romance dramas floating about and are looking for a change of pace, this may be worth a see. this drama seems to be well-written (at least from the first two episodes that I saw) and has interesting characters and setup. on the site I watch, it goes under the kbs world title "the gentlemen of wolgyesu tailor shop". cheers.

@lenet; @deandraluv; @bebebisous33; @jadecloud ; @trust71 ; @andy78 ; @my2centsworth ; @zenya22 ; @badsmuler ; @LHRCN ; @suchadiva42 ; @mdj101 ; @evie7 ; @ayselluna ; @gerrytan8063 ; @chubbychub1966 ; @ecs707a ; @airgelaal ; @jongski ; @dekaron ; @lclarakl ; @hushhh

cute rabbit 2 029

Hello MissL......so nice to see you again. Have been thinking about starting this drama and on your recommendation I will give it a try. It looks different and has a great cast. So with that, I will spend what is suppose to be a rainy Labor Day watching and playing catch-up. Only watching one drama now and it will end in a few weeks. So great ready for my rambling when I see you again....lol  :D:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

cute rabbit 2 029

Hello and thank you for the heads up on this drama! crazy-monkey-emoticon-050.gif I just watched the first episode (Thank You @Misstwilightfan1416 for posting it). I love it! It is really addicting.  We have a lot of the actors in this one and agree from the first episode it is very well written. Thank you again, I have some things I must accomplish at home but after that I will be back to watch the 2nd episode and backread the thread.  

Waves back to @Lmangla  hi onion head great to see you here :)
I liked the first two episodes, but did not love them. That singer got on my nerves, but I love Oh Hyun-Kyung, and how she is smitten with him as she was when she was a teenager.
I have always loved Cha In-Pyo. Interesting to watch him in a rom com.

On 9/3/2016 at 9:06 AM, Lmangla said:

@irilight ~ am liking this kbs world title of "the gentlemen of wolgyesu tailor shop"; think it more accurately captures the spirit of the drama in that it is not the suit that makes a man but rather the man that makes a suit. in the end of ep 2, we have a voice vignette of the old tailor who give his ideas on what makes a gentleman -- never give up etc -- and in that way, this title is better than the "laurel tree tailors shop"

I loved that part, at the end of ep. 2 as well.

On 9/3/2016 at 9:06 AM, Lmangla said:

so laurel is a symbolism of glory and honour and stuff like that.... so it is kind of interesting in terms of where we see the men at end of ep 2 -- dong jin has been demoted from ceo to warehouse manager, the guitar (what else can I call him with his obsession with his special guitar) is cleaning a club and has lost his voice, the chicken guy is at home flipping through the photo albums of him as a tailor, the motorbike kid just found his girlfriend is cheating on him. so all of them are not exactly in their glory moment

Loving your insights. I am guessing that all of them will find back their glory through coming back to tailoring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler

20160904205016_10_99_20160904211004.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-09-04%2Bat%2B5.36.07%2BPM.png

Sports Seoul - Naver: 'Laurel Tree Tailors', Cha In Pyo runs away from home to protect the tailor shop 

1. [+2,889, -50] Cha In Pyo-ssi is good at managing himself... He looks the same compared to 10 years ago.. 

2. [+2,716, -218] The male and female leads are weak ㅠㅠ Jo Yoon Hee is really not lead role material, the supporting cast hard carries 

3. [+2,116, -62] Ra Mi Ran hard carries. I love her♡♡

4. [+1,914, -37] Ra Mi Ran is a true comic queen ㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+1,387, -36] Cha In Pyo is really cool ㅎ I'm watching it well ㅋ

6. [+516, -21] There's nothing else to see but Ra Mi Ran, Cha In Pyo and Choi Won Young. This drama could do without the antagonists. Also the female lead's acting... 

7. [+390, -12] The supporting characters are saving the drama ㅋㅋ

8. [+359, -5] Oh Hyun Kyung suits these kind of roles ㅎㅎ I hope it turns out well with Joonie oppa 

9. [+356, -7] A drama you watch not for the leads but for the supporting cast 

10. [+331, -15] Ra Mi Ran, Cha In Pyo and Choi Won Young are hard carrying. The writer doesn't know how to put the cast into good use 

source:

Guest my2centsworth

At the suggestion of my friend @Lmangla I have fallen in love with this drama.   :heart: Watched the first esp and will return after I complete the others. This is one drama full of sentimentality. That old man Man Sol is wonderful. So heartwarming.  Thanks you MissL......will return with lots of rambling......lol  :)

15 hours ago, irilight said:

I liked the first two episodes, but did not love them. That singer got on my nerves, but I love Oh Hyun-Kyung, and how she is smitten with him as she was when she was a teenager.
I have always loved Cha In-Pyo. Interesting to watch him in a rom com.

kekekek... I understand @irilight .. there are actually very few dramas that I absolutely love and for the most part, I just swing from like to really like! hahahha... but as long as there are a few characters that I enjoy, I can tolerate even the annoying ones. the guitar guy just makes me laugh. you have to give a guy brownie points for being so persistent and there is something absurdly sad that his glory day was over 16 years ago. what happened to him since he won his rookie award? was he just a passing star? ...

as for cha in pyo, it cracks me up that he is so demure here.. feel like I have seen in some gangster movie looking and acting really tough. doesn't he have this tough guy lookswise? so it is funny to see him paired with a woman who is more fiesty than he is... :D

but am happy to see folks like @dekaron @evie7 @my2centsworth check out the drama and enjoy it. lets have fun discussing this one. :wub: looks like a drama where we will have lots to discuss beside who ends up with whom! hahahah... am curious about the growth arc of the old tailor just because he is such a warm character....

and as a side note: I did remember someone who ran away from home. my dad's college mate once called out of the blue; he had apparently taken up getting in touch with folks as a kind of hobby since he retired! hahaha...anyway, he called one college mate and his wife answered the phone and asked him if he had seen his old buddy. this man was like ???? it turned out that his old buddy simply walked away from his home one day leaving a note and that was it. none of his grown up children or wife could figure out why he would do that and since the police ruled out foul play, there was nothing to do but wait. so the wife was like if anyone has seen him, please ask them to contact us. it would be great to know that at least he was well since they hadn't heard from him in over two years.... so guess, this sort of thing does happen in real life. perhaps, the writer had heard of someone doing something like this....

Archived