[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

'Descendants of the Sun' hits new viewership record

SEOUL, April 14 (Yonhap) -- The sensational South Korean TV series "Descendants of the Sun" has beaten its own viewership record again, data showed Thursday.

The KBS 2TV drama captured 34.8 percent of viewers across the country for the 15th episode on Wednesday, up 1.3 percentage points from 33.5 percent for the 13th one aired a week ago, data by Nielsen Korea showed.

A compiled photo of scenes from the KBS 2TV drama series "Descendants of the Sun" (Yonhap) A compiled photo of scenes from the KBS 2TV drama series "Descendants of the Sun" (Yonhap)

In the capital area, where viewership has usually been greater, the rate soared to 38.1 percent, up 3.1 percentage points from last week, while the figure for Seoul remained unchanged at 37.5 percent.

The romantic drama revolves around the romance between an Army captain, Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki), who serves in the U.N. peacekeeping forces, and a female doctor named Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo), in a fictional war-torn country called Uruk.

Premiering on Feb. 24, the show has constantly surpassed its viewership record except for the 14th episode that was rated slightly lower with 33 percent.

The finale of the 16-episode series is scheduled to be aired at 10 p.m. Thursday. In China, the show will be available on the video website iQiyi on the same day.

A compiled photo of scenes from the KBS 2TV drama series "Descendants of the Sun" (Yonhap) A compiled photo of scenes from the KBS 2TV drama series "Descendants of the Sun" (Yonhap)

(END)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2016/04/14/0701000000AEN20160414003800315.html

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY!

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Ahh... Too many pages to catch up on!!!

I finally watched Ep 15 with subs but will definitely need a rewatch - multiple times over!

I'm just wondering if some bits of the translations weren't all to accurate. She says they've said their "I love yous" through their body language or their bodies? Ahem. He definitely became a bit more alert when she said that. Hahaha... So... What is it now? Ahem.

And at the desert when he returns, was that the sound of the helicopter we heard or just some kind of background sound effect? He was dropped off the helicopter? She also said it was his one year death anniversary and that was why she decided to go to Albania to pay her respects? So they did reveal to her that he had gone on a peace mission there? But shouldn't such information be classified? And those stone stacks - are they just random memorials built by people? Or was she told that was where nameless soldiers are remembered? Some gaps. Not terribly glaring to give me sleepless nights, but I am curious nevertheless. Might have more questions following a rewatch.

One more translation said.. "We said it through action rather than words"

• Like 7

I watched ep 15 for almost 3 hours. I had to pause many times to wash my face becuz of too much crying and sometimes just to pause to soak in what i watched and read here about people's opinions. What a episode.

• Like 12

@smiletall It is. Dots has to win best drama of 2016. They should be sweeping awards left and right.

@IrisFM Thank you. That is what this forum is for.

Sigh....Jinja. ...I am really gonna miss spazzing with you guys here. Without this forum, I would have miss so much from the drama. To be able to read different insights and opinions from all of you help me to understand and appreciate Dots better. (And I know this forum helps. Cuz my bf is watching the drama too and he doesn't get most of the significance certain scenes and acts brings and harass me constantly for it.)

Btw, anyone who is suffering frm puffy eyes due to too much crying. Here's a tip. Towel soaked in ice cold water and put over your eyes. It helps bring down the puffiness. Though this morning, I still have several people asking me who died? Was it my pet or someone I knew....

Edited by CatWhiskers
  • Like 20

Bathtub scene anyone? :lol:  KES is really a troll, isn't she? What we want she knows but doesn't want to give us (yet). She is probably laughing hard when she reads her fans commenting/speculating this and that...

tumblr_o5kyxbQFwS1sp2kg8o1_500.gif

tumblr_o5kyxbQFwS1sp2kg8o3_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o5kyxbQFwS1sp2kg8o2_500.gif

tumblr_o5kyxbQFwS1sp2kg8o4_500.gif

cr descendants-of-the-sun.tumblr.com

• Like 24

Song Joong-ki is a heart stealer from female fans for “Descendants of the Sun”

• Date : 2016-04-14 14:53:04

575a62db32842f4b7b088c470f9c6072_1460613

Song Joong-ki has captured female fans hearts all around Asia for “Descendants of the Sun”. Specifically, his voice, which would be performed differently depending on various situations, is spotlighted as ‘Sweet, Trust, and Healing voice’.

First, He makes female fans feel sweet with his voice.

In the soap opera, Yoo Shi-jin said to Mo-yeon “Do not think you will lose as your mind by being attracted to me, because I love you more than yours”.

After that, he said to Mo-yeon “From now on, you do care of only me”. 

Even though he could be shown as a butter man, he controlled his voice as honest-to-goodness manner.

Second, his voice makes people can trust him.

When Mo-yeon was conflicted between her personal values and her duty as a doctor to save the life of a gangster, Shi-jin said “Save him, it’s your duty as a doctor. “If he is killed in another incident, then that is on me.”

In addition, he said “To me, there’s no priority above protecting Korean people lives” with his baritone voice, which was lightened to give trust to people around him.

Third, his voice makes people faced with dangerous and hard situations whose minds being healed.

Shi-jin tries to make people feel relief by telling jokes even when he was just awake after black out under the collapsed building.

Moreover, when Mo-yeon and Shi-jin were trapped in a mine-field, he said “Just follow along in my footsteps, with enjoying my fascinating back”.

Thus, Song Joong-ki with his own tone showed perfect performances to fit Yoo Shi-jin. These subtle and apparent differences in his voice tone demonstrated that how he was eager to perform his role, Shi-jin to raise completeness of “Descendants of the Sun”.

Furthermore, he has captured lots of female fans hearts all around Asia.

Meanwhile, the last episode of “Descendants of the Sun” will be broadcast on April 14 10:00 p.m. KST! 

Korea.com's Blare Kim contributed to this report from Seoul.

http://www1.korea.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=DRAMA&wr_id=1009

I could not agree more he is a heart stealer!!!He stole my heart for sure!!!I will never forget his character!!!

• Like 15

5 hours ago, ilwoo_aein said:

Manly Song Joong Ki :w00t: 1 episode left :tears: Captain Yoo..BIG BOSS..I'm gonna miss you~~

I wonder what the 3 extra episodes are about?  Is it the making of this drama, or is it a continuation to give us some insight into their future?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, twtwb said:

While Kang Mo Yeon is suffering, Song Hye Kyo shines

We have just had another excellent episode of "Descendants of the Sun". This is the most emotional and touching episode in a drama that I have watched in recent years which even exceeded episodes 7 and 8 (episodes 7 and 8 are still the most meaningful episodes to me though).

Every single actor did a good job. I am especially impressed with Song Joong Ki's performance in the last scene that he appeared (and no, I am not commenting about his appearance). But dominating the screen, the plot, the dialogues, and the emotion in the whole episode, from the beginning to the end, is doctor Kang Mo Yeon played by actress Song Hye Kyo.

I am a guy and I do not have the same emotional attachment to Kang Mo Yeon like many female audience has, but I still feel the pain of her losing the most precious beloved one in her life. It is not only the pain though. There are much more than that: the waiting, the shock, the disbelief, the denial, the frustration, the acceptance, the helplessness, the missing-like-crazy, the memory, the struggle, the hallucination, the sacrifice and above all, the love. And for each and every emotion, she adds depth and reality to it, to the extent that audience who already knew that Captain Yoo Shi Jin would not be dead can still touch her emotions and really feel for what she has been through. Yes it is so real but so nuanced. It is so deep but so natural. It is so multi-layered, understandable and connected.

Kang Mo Yeon in Kim Eun Sook and Kim Won Suk's writing is already a good character, especially compared to many other female characters that writer Kim Eun Sook created in her previous work; but Song Hye Kyo just makes the character much better. She does not only live in her character. She brings to it much more depth and raises it to a different level of emotion, liveliness, relatableness and nuance that is rarely seen in current dramas.

I remember actor Jo In Sung saying that "there are time when I get goose bumps from seeing Song Hye Kyo's acting." I got goose bumps from seeing her in episode 15.

I remember director Kim Kyu Tae stating that "her performance surpasses 'content' and I am so grateful that I can't even put into words". This is I exactly what I thought when I watched her in episode 15 (I don't think this long post does justice to her).

I remember my favorite writer Noh Hee Kyung confessing that "I learned my limit after working with Song Hye Kyo. I feel that I have lost to Song Hye Kyo for the things that I used to brag about, like my ability to concentrate. When I put 3 to 4 different emotions into a scene, Song Hye Kyo makes it into a scene with 4 to 5 different emotions. Even then, I feel like she hasn't shown us everything she is capable of. I don't want to accept it but Song Hye Kyo deserves all the credit for the success of her character."

I can imagine that after watching last night's episode, writers Kim Eun Sook and Kim Won Suk would come to really understand writer Noh Hee Kyung's thoughts, views and feelings.

For such an excellent performance, I am grateful to Song Hye Kyo.

Always thankful for a guy's insight here, especially when it's beautifully written. I got goose bumps too watching episode 15, even after re-watching it several times I'm still in awe for her. This woman deserves an Oscar, her acting is not only amazing, it's also multi-layered an beautiful. DotS won't be the same without her

• Like 22

2 hours ago, bakegyamon said:

I wonder who was the first person that enter the army:

YSJ, YMJ, or SDY?

If that was YSJ, why did he say SDY is his "killer" instructor in episode 5/6?

If all entered in the same time, why did SDY only be a "sergeant" not "lieutnant"?

I think SDY got there first. Since YSJ experienced the hell week training with SDY as instructor. 

YSJ enter the army via commission officer path he enter military academy school since age 17 or 18 perhaps (considering he said he already wearing the uniform for 15 years) he also got listed at the West Point a highly prestigius army school in the entire world. That's why he is very good in doing his job coz he trained to be a hell damn good and special soldier at west point. His carrer also has a very bright future as the CO army he may get 4 stars in his shoulder as YMJ dad said (and that what makes him really want to have YSJ as his son in law at first place) 

SDY is older than YSJ. He enter military as the Non Commission Officer so his rank now in military is already his highest achievement. 

• Like 15

I bet this drama will receive many awards this time..

Once i think, if not joong ki and hye kyo, who will suitable to act in this drama?

As i read in the front page, Kang dong won was offered first for this drama, does he regret now?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nataliakay said:

Ok this may be a stupid question but when KMY said it is death anniversary does she mean a year anniversary? Not like one month annivesary?

I am wondering about that too... A year seem too long too many weird explanation will be given to us next..... YSJ and SDY need to be in a veeerrrryyyyyyyy critical condition...not able to walk... Not able to do anything .... Or surrounded by enemy and massive threat...... I am affraid we feel another "superhero aka immortal mutant" moment again.....

But 100 days is very acceptable ...... The time lapsed will be very perfect for give us a fair explanation... He left KMY for 3 mos then dissapear for another 3 months... 

• Like 11

Hmmmm,  maybe the deaths and explosions were staged in order for Captain and Sgt. had to go deep, deep undercover for a mission that was kept secret from even the military command.

And,   the only people who knew were the Blue House and that Press Secretary because it involved their North Korean friend. :phew:

Otherwise, it is really mysterious as to how Capt. knew where to find Dr Kang in thedesert.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bakegyamon said:

Did the albanian shooting scenes also take place in urk?

I believe so... Since I saw 1 little girl and a boy that looks exactly the same with the kid i saw in Urk previously :) 

but is there any dessert in greece???? 

• Like 6

ep 15 is like rollercoster.at first it fun but slowly enter the sad parts when sijin meet moyeon for last time....

i cried along with moyeon n myeong jun when  they received news about their man death. how can the writer even think to put this scene???this scene so heartbreaking...:bawling:

this drama really show the facts what a woman  need to face as her date man from special forces....it sad but it done beautifully by moyoen and myeong jun. 

Shk really nailed her crying scene...she my favourite actress that really beautiful when cry and it happen naturally....

anybody can give me the link for watching live tonight???i don't think i can wait for eng sub.....

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, miss sojisub said:

I am wondering about that too... A year seem too long too many weird explanation will be given to us next..... YSJ and SDY need to be in a veeerrrryyyyyyyy critical condition...not able to walk... Not able to do anything .... Or surrounded by enemy and massive threat...... I am affraid we feel another "superhero aka immortal mutant" moment again.....

But 100 days is very acceptable ...... The time lapsed will be very perfect for give us a fair explanation... He left KMY for 3 mos then dissapear for another 3 months... 

I'm also wondering about it, too. And maybe it is the 49 days anniversary they are referring to? Or does it mean one year? Hmmm....

• Like 7