[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

1 hour ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

Anyone notice during the wheelchair scene and he was selecting her confession on his phone, that the phone glass or glass cover has a crack?   That was intentional I think, being a soldier.   Small details... And it survived an explosion, in his pocket, har.  But maybe the SIM did, and he changed the unit,    Ok, that is it, no longer sweating the small stuff more than I already did.    Drama is still awesome beyond words!  

At the wheelchair i was more concentrate on his headphone kekekekekekekek

first look of the scene (opening) we can see the headphone cable near his jacket.

second look he cable not even inserted to the headphone plug 

third look it is inserted to the plug

fourth the cable position changed position...

lol lol lol lol

I wonder how many take they do the scene to get it right kekekekekeek

• Like 16

Wheewwww where do I even start.

I agree with all the acting comments, nuff said.

I kind of felt like it got spoilt by the writer's comment on the ending, the trailer,  by JinGoo's comment etc. I was fairly certain he's not going to die, so when they made it look like he died I can't really be that sad. I can sympathize with what MY is going through and shed a tear or two for her struggle and that awesome acting, but really the whole time I was just thinking how he'll come back anyway so make it fast.

Secondly people have already been mentioning about the logic holes etc. And come on we need to acknowledge these could've been done so much better,  even if we're so much of a fan of the show. I think watching so much kdramas have actually lowered my expectations on these drama scripts, sorry. 

The number of times i actually make excuses of how things are still plausible, and ignore those things for eyecandy! Even when I myself think they're silly, when others actually say it, I jump in and try to put in some plausible theory excuses! 

Signal was well written so I had expected the writer to do a really tight plot, which i don't know who did what exactly this time, didn't really come through.

The one thing I really love about the script that I think is also revolutionary, in a way also shows how low my expectations is, is where KMY is a pretty awesome character with how she handles SJ, how she can stand on her own, be realistic about who she is and her career, neither too idealistic nor too practical, and be on the level playing field with him. That's something I rarely see in kdramas, and that's pretty much the only reason why DOTS is awesome for me.  

The rest of the characters i think is really interesting in terms of personalities is SDY, Doctor Song, MJ's dad .

Regardless of what happens tonight I think this is my overall conclusion of DOTS :)

• Like 12

This is what will happen in episode 16.  They'll show some flashbacks on how KMY called the Arab to help find YSJ and SDY since she has a last token left to use.  The terrorist captured them and they were rescued by the Arab. Otherwise no point talking about 2 tokens in episode 4.

Quote conversation in episode 4

"
00:38:21,550 --> 00:38:26,630
I need to give you my gratitude. This is a small gift of gratitude.

00:38:34,580 --> 00:38:37,280
It's not just any business card.

00:38:37,280 --> 00:38:40,260
This card will save you in about any situation,

00:38:40,260 --> 00:38:43,630
anywhere there are Arabs.

00:38:45,310 --> 00:38:50,570
But, since you're giving me one, can you give me 2 instead?

"

• Like 5

@lizzzie: The dates! Oh the dates! Hahaha... Yes! They totally don't match up. Tsk. They could have been more careful considering it was pre-produced. YSJ and KMY's birthdays also don't match up. At the cinema date, she suggested she was older than him. Her date of birth as on the list of people going to Urk was Sep 1983, but YSJ said he was a Pisces born in the same year, meaning he's older than her by about half a year. But then again in last night's episode when he asked her to say "I love you", he said, "Let's go by age" meaning she's older than he is... Hahaha... I think everyone's counting ability in this show is just not quite there. Hahaha...

So many scenes to like in this episode, and so many things you pick up on subsequent watches that make you know the scenes were very carefully sequenced, scripted and edited:

1. I loved that show of camaraderie when the Alpha boys went to support LCP KGB for his high school diploma exams. And we know he cleared it, cos almost a year later, he is back in Urk and now a platoon sergeant. :)
  2. When KMY goes up to the helipad to have her lunch and a helicopter flew overhead - she said, "I wish he were on that helicopter." At that very moment, we see him on the battlefield, exactly *not* getting on the helicopter which pretty much signaled the end of the mission for everyone else on the team. Then in the very last scene in the desert, wasn't it a helicopter she heard coming before she was told to turn around, only to see him walking towards her? Ah... the significance of "the helicopter", which, if you remember, was what SiJin also said saved her. My. Those 2 should fly off for their honeymoon on a helicopter.
  3. It was heartbreaking to see Snoopy, Piccolo and Harry Potter screaming for Wolf and Big Boss from the helicopter when the blast happened. Did YSJ and SDY actually get shot? Or was it just a ruse to cover up their existence for an important mission meant only for the two of them? I'm inclined actually to believe that they were actually shot, but that their bodies were not found (not even body parts following an explosion) likely meant that SDY was not as severely injured and managed to pull them both to safety. Because if you think about it, if their men were at such a distance from them, would it have been necessary for them to "act" and stage their own deaths? Why then did it take them an entire year to return? I guess we'll only know tonight in the finale. I'm not imaginative enough to think up a sub-plot as to why they would have gone MIA for an entire year, although if indeed it was because they had to go on some other covert mission, the risk in leaving their girls behind, that they might end up with someone else after a year... what a price to pay. 

• Like 22

I actually have many things to talk but not savvy tech makes me hold my idea. 

Thank you in advance for the recappers of tonight's episode. If I can manage time,I 'll be sticking around this thread and press the like button, if not, I d better say thank you for a couple of weeks recapping (8 weeks = 2 months for reporting what s going on during the episode airing, really it is like watching the drama myself), so I m grateful for your awesome works. 

there are so much happiness and fun together with some 'insanity' but I bet all films are dramas full of insanity, all including Hollywood and bollywood. So, it is normal. But, I thank the writers for the hard work, I remember even KES thinks a tiny little thing, just like what you talk about, that the minute KMY's will, writers think where MY recorded her msg to her mom one which in min 0.25 If I m not mistaken while minutes before she left message for YSJ, that is Kmy confession. So, bravo. Ok, 1 more episode and dunno my life will be after DotS,perhaps what I want to ask more, pls writers, unite SHK and SJK in a film or a drama, and SHK SJK ssi, prove to use that soon after DotS, serve us with totally different characters that we can easily leave out KMY YSJ characters. 

Edited by mizuki85
Added
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, bakegyamon said:

Overall, episode 15 is the peak of this drama. "Descendants of the sun", its YSJ who come out from the light of the sun in the setting of desert.

I wonder why KMY was asked to sign the letter for YSJ regarding of his death, not YSJ father. Im looking forward also to see KMY interaction with YSJ father.

In ep 15, if YSJ has recovered for 1 year, why did he come out with dust and blood in his body? I think they have had pretend to die, and did another mission. Also, when YMJ said to her soldier patient in Urk "tell the commander officer that you cant work too hard for a while". Who was in charge to be captain and sergaent major after YSJ and SDY death? I am curious also about their position after they come back today.

Well I ask my Korean husband..he said usually if any Korean soldier die overseas they usually disclose the cause of death..it's the military rule...he said no reason but just military rule..and immediate family ere really ask to sign those kind of papers.. But exception if u die in your own country...if ever he die in Korea surely there will be no agreement papers to be sign

• Like 9

@AuntieMame!!!! You are here. I was thinking more he had her phone GPS location. In fact I was thinking what sort of phone plans do South Koreans have? They call overseas all the time and have unlimited data. Was checking Kakao talk on my own yesterday to see if there were notifications when my messages were read. 

Seriously though thought soldiers on Black Ops don't carry their dog tags so no phone. And for him to look so dishevelled he woud have to go back to Seoul to collect his personal belongings from HIS FATHER. Since he was dead and all. And won't the number be cancelled since he WAS DEAD. 

The logic or illogical writing is making my brain hurt. And it's not as if it's a short flight from wherever, pick up phone from home,  take plane to Urk (  like duh,  commercial flight from Seoul ) then arrive and look alll wounded. Then I noticed how his shawl or scarf was fashionably tied. I just about keel over laughing. Thought I had switched my brain off by episode 4. Apparently not.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, silvergirl said:

I'm also wondering about it, too. And maybe it is the 49 days anniversary they are referring to? Or does it mean one year? Hmmm....

It says anniversary so surely it's one year...anyway it's okay to give our own prediction right?? Heheeh because I notice that captain yoo just contact mo yeon on his death anniversary...what if they were just found on that day with the Korean army and was rescued on that same day...on that same day also he got his phone...because when moyeon check her phone ...before it shows that Capt. yo haven't read her sent messages..but on that day after checking her phone when she heard Capt. yoo voice on the transmitter..suddenly the messages on her phone shows that the receiver read her message

Surely hes phone is in the headquarter coz during mission they're not allowed to bring phone.. That's why maybe they were rescued somewhere they were brought to their headquarters and the first thing he search is his phone..

• Like 7

1 hour ago, thunderman1 said:

DY's girlfriend didn't open the letter.. ta dum. I have a hunch he knew she wouldn't open it which would mean his top secret mission would be hidden. 

Also, we all know in k drama, no body means still alive. Even the daily 100+ episode dramas we see the same old plot. Yet, I was bawling for 30 min!! hehe

Both are well alive--happy ending and the sun[SJ] setting. How bittersweet!

Perfectly fits my thought and this detail makes DOTs even more interesting. If the scenario is true, then it provides the deep grasp between these two and I'm really curious with what he wrote in the letter. :rolleyes:

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, miss sojisub said:

At the wheelchair i was more concentrate on his headphone kekekekekekekek

first look of the scene (opening) we can see the headphone cable near his jacket.

second look he cable not even inserted to the headphone plug 

third look it is inserted to the plug

fourth the cable position changed position...

lol lol lol lol

I wonder how many take they do the scene to get it right kekekekekeek

what a keen eyes, i'll pay attention to that part when i able to watch.

maybe that headphone is a bluetooth headphone. so you can choose to plug or unplug LOL

• Like 8

Oh. More questions:

• In the scene where YMJ recounts for KMY how YSJ met SDY - why does YSJ just run up to DSY under the umbrella and say, "I'm captain, can I share your umbrella"? I mean, where did he come from and how is that opening line logical? I don't get it. There must be something lost in translation there.
  • And then the scene where YSJ tells KMY he loves her... then he ends with "it's so early in the evening"... for what? Hahaha... 

Oh, and I don't think she went to Albania on second watch. She said she was stopping over in Abu Dhabi and going through Albania. It's an Albanian refugee camp, but not in Albania... it's a camp of Albanian refugees...

• Like 14

As so many had pointed out there are too many questions from the previous episode....and too many inconsistencies and unbelievable circumstances

like how hurt was SJ, that he still carries scars? How many days anniversary was this, is it really a whole long year? But all said, when the episode was ending and MY was shedding heartbroken tears, and for that moment alone, I would have even settled for SJ "descending directly from the sun" or using "a spaceship to land from Mars" ... MY's angst allows the audience to pray and accept the miracles!!!

• Like 10

with one more ep left, aside from the explanation how Captain and Wolf (he's coming too, right? or else >.< :vicx:) alive, I would love to know 4 things:

1. How did they get hays on their back.

2. What's in the folder with the password 1030.

3. Name of the movie that they failed to watch 3 times.

4. Name of the kid in Uruk.

• Like 18

I'm not quite sure I'm allowed to post this info, but I just thought some people here might want to know that the Korean DOTS fans are trying to make the Director's Cut Blu-ray/DVD happen for DOTS. If you're interested in purchasing a DOTS Blu-ray/DVD set, you might want to check out their website! I added their website to my signature if anyone wants to check it out.

• Like 7

Guys, I have a noob qn here (again).. :vicx:

I love to hear them say "salute" in Korean (tan-guuel, I dont know how to spell it, but it sounds somthing like that.. :P)

In the Chinese Subs, it was stated as " 团结" meaning UNITY.

with English Subs, its stated "Salute"  

Any korean speakers can clarify which is the correct meaning? I tried googling, but no result... Thank you everyone! :)

• Like 5

Song Joong-ki’s arm cast in ‘Descendants of the Sun’ real

The cast worn by Yoo Shi-jin, the lead character in the KBS drama series “Descendants of the Sun” turned out to be actor Song Joong-ki’s real-life injury, according to local media outlets.

Song Joong-ki was injured during while filming for the drama on Nov. 23, 2015. The injury left him with a fracture on his right arm along with a cruciate ligament rupture which needed eight weeks of recovery.

In the 13th episode of the drama aired last Wednesday, Yoo Shi-jin was severely wounded from a gunshot and is hospitalized. Even after being discharged from the hospital, Yoo continued to wear a cast on his right arm.

The cast may have simply looked like a prop used to make the drama seem more realistic. However, it was actually a real-life cast of the actor.

Reportedly, Song returned to the filming scene in only two weeks, managing to complete the 15th and 16th episodes of the drama on time.

By Kim Ji-young (christinekim@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 14

SHINee's Onew comments on being part of hit drama 'Descendants of the Sun'.

HA5fKgt.png

Spoiler

uApKkyK.jpg

With the last episode approaching, Onew shared a comment about the drama. He said, "There were difficulties because it was my first acting job on a major broadcast, but I was able to complete shooting with help and advice from the director and sunbaenims." 

He continued, "I want to thank all the actors, writers, directors, staff members, and also the viewers. This drama will last in my memory for a very long time." 

Onew successfully played the role of Lee Chi Hoon, proving his talent as an actor. Are you looking forward to seeing Onew in more dramas?

source: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/shinees-onew-comments-on-being-part-of-hit-drama-descendants-of-the-sun

• Like 16

1 hour ago, miss sojisub said:

I believe so... Since I saw 1 little girl and a boy that looks exactly the same with the kid i saw in Urk previously :) 

but is there any dessert in greece???? 

Lemnos.  Desert in Greece.  It stood in for Albania.  Albania has no deserts, so....that kinda is another thing about drama.  But am overlooking this aspect, the reunion has all the feels and that is what counts.  

Sorry, sounding like a travelogue :).   Sadly  I have not been to Greece.  

• Like 6