[Drama 2021] Like a Butterfly/ Navillera, 나빌레라

larus

Ho Beom grow the heck up alright! Do somethin' productive instead of taking it out on Chae Rok geez. 

:fear:

Poor gramps:cry: looks like it'd be filled with tears for remaining ep. Grandma's cute during their wedding anniversary date. She was savage LoL. Her "I pick the best produce but not the best husband" had me:joy:

Chae Rok's friend is a gem. He's a Eun Ho/Chae Rok shipper too eheheh. "You're active for someone who's hurt:hahah!:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

I adore this drama.  I love how many of the characters are on a personal journey to find himself/herself.

• Chae Rok: realizing his talent in ballet and dream of soaring on what makes him happy.  Along the way, finding that his true path in life requires patience and perserverance.  Life is a long and steady marathon so take time to nap and heal.
  • Deok Chol: finding that it is never too late for personal happiness and there is no guilt in choosing yourself first (finally).  To do the one thing he loves before he forgets his identity and dreams.
  • Eun Ho: finding herself apart from her father’s vision and expectations.  And realizing that the mundane simple things around her can bring joy.  I like that she has realized what is not happiness.
  • Seong Gwan: finding succeeding to become a surgeon does not necessarily make him a good healer nor does success brings happiness.  So he changed career after years of training, brave enough to admit that he is not a good surgeon, to become a film maker.  Docummenting his patients as people before they became nameless cases, it’s also his way of healing.
  • Seong San: needs to find a way to overcome his anger and perhaps shame over his parents’ financial struggles.  Lost in his childhood memories is the love and sacrifices made (possibly untold) by halmoni and haraboji.  I hope he finds in himself to mend his relationship with Deok Chol soon when haraboji can still recognize his effort and who he is.
  • Seong Suk:  I hope she finds being supportive of your spouse means having the courage to be honest and speak up.  Yeong Il’s chasing his dreams for both of them, at her expense, is not love.  She too places other people’s happiness over her own.
  • Ae-Ran:  realizing her career after spending a lifetime taking care of her family.  
  • Seung Joo:  Like halmoni and haraboji who nurtured Chae Rok with their home made meals, he mentored his students to have mental toughness and character.  And to have humility.  I like Mr Ki a lot.
  • Ho Beum: fell and yet has not recovered or move forward.  He scraped his knees and still waiting for someone to bandage them.  I wonder where is his family and support.
  • Mu-Yeong:  There has to be a lot to reconcile for a coach to accept his star athlete son’s real passion.  It was good to hear him said to Chae Rok that he wanted to watch him dance.

Deok Chol’s impatience is real.  He started to show signs of dementia/Alzheimer and knows his time is running out to learn something new before he is unable to retain the skills in his memories.

I just want to say that I also love the humor in this drama.  The scene where they all watch Kdrama on TV, how they bet if the character would die... is US! :lol:

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Deok Chol’s impatience is real.  He started to show signs of dementia/Alzheimer and knows his time is running out to learn something new before he is unable to retain the skills in his memories.

I wonder if it’s the same for dance as music is for dementia patients?  Key areas for music in the brain are largely unaffected in Dementia patients so they won’t remember family members but can still play the piano.  But I think Grandpa needs to learn the basics and skills before his brain checks out.  It really is a race against time.

I just looked.  And it is.  Cr - https://practicalneurology.com/articles/2017-june/music-and-dementia-an-overview

Despite the level of brain impairment and severity in dementia, certain activities remain preserved in most instances and are very resistant to decline. These include activities such as pedaling an indoor bicycle, enjoying music, dancing, and throwing a baseball. The person doing these activities may not know who you are or who they are, but these activities were learned and engrained in their younger years and remain. The memory for these activities is called Procedural Memory (PM). Memory for events, knowledge, and reasoning, known as Explicit Memory (EM), gradually disappears as dementia worsens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Navillera: Episode 4

by Nat

navillera4-00097.jpg

Ballet was a dream deferred for our retired mailman, but he’s finally been able to work on turning his dream into reality. But it’s not all leotards and pirouettes — he’s finding that his loved ones are less interested in his dreams and more interested in him being a “normal” retiree.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

Soon after Deok-chul posts a picture of himself in the ballet studio, he gets an angry call from Hae-nam ordering him to come home right away. His two oldest children seem the most concerned and Seong-san calls an emergency family meeting.

Looking worried and a bit down, Deok-chul starts off for home but Chae-rok stops him. He say that Deok-chul should straighten his shoulders and be confident, and gives him a “Fighting” for the road.

The entire Shim clan’s gathered (minus Eun-ho) and the atmosphere is pretty awkward. Seong-san and Seong-sook are the most vocally anti-ballet. While Seong-sook seems concerned about injuries, Seong-san just seems exasperated and embarrassed at the prospect of other people finding out.

It’s not a surprise that Seong-gwan is all for their dad following his ballet dreams, but interestingly both of the married-ins (Ae-ran and Young-il) are on his — and Deok-chul’s — side.

Seong-gwan doesn’t see what the big deal is, and he decides to leave the family meeting but not before giving his dad the same advice he had received himself: Keep telling them he’s happy and they’ll give up nagging sooner or later. His departure sets off a sibling squabble, and Hae-nam blames Deok-chul for the kids fighting.

Deok-chul takes a breather outside when Ae-ran joins him. She chooses this moment to share that she knows he was there “that day.” (A-ha so it wasn’t Hae-nam who found Ae-ran sobbing and and Eun-ho crying alone.) She urges him not to quit, and to do what he wants to do.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/04/navillera-episode-4/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Some of my fav. scenes

- the carrot scene in the restaurant..Grandpa ate that carrot so casually..  :D

- CR - ''Real men wear pink''

Mr. Shim - ''My favorite color is orange''..

- when Grandpa walked down the street and practiced the movements

- I love all CR's smiles.  

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

I LOVE this drama. I had been waiting until it got completed, so I could binge watch it but then I gave up, lol.

The drama is marvelous! The story is unusual and the execution is great. It's so warm, heartfull and make me feel under a fluffy blanket with a hot cocoa, watching the snow falling outside. With marshmallow on the plate and my cats curled up on my lap. 

The quality of Halaboeji x Chae-Rok's relationship is equal to Halmeoni x Han Jipyeong. 

I hope that they'll get happy ending.

Curious, though, why does this drama is not trending on Netflix? Considering the story is brilliant, the casts are awesome and Song Kang is quite popular lately, I was expecting the drama hit top 10 in Netflix. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Didn't see these making clips are posted here. If they were, let me know so I'll delete this post. 

Making (Behind the scenes) 1

1. Song Kang learned Pilates for leg split. 

2. Song Kang and Hong SeungHee talking about breads. Apparently the place is known for it. SK got very happy when staff said he's allowed to have one for himself.

3. when staff said they'll use stand-in for the haraboji's testing scene, Park InWhan saying he can do that and showing pose.

4. Haraboji's really good at billiards. 

Making 2

1. haraboji's billiard scene. Apparently he played a lot when he was young. When he didn't have money he put up his wrist watch to play! So cute.

2. Song Kang and Kim Gwon talking about food. I guess both of them are on diet so less sodium and protein only but yearning for salty/sweet/starchy foods.

3. SK was laughing about his helmet look. Helmet is too big for him.

4. Famous scene of haraboji/hamoni and sung san. Na MoonHee was deep in emotion!

5. Haraboji's favorite color is purple, not orange! :)

6. SK having fun.

7. Teacher couple having fun with old music, if you know this music that shows your age.

8. The morning scene ( when CR didn't receive morning call from DC). Director is saying there's only 1 milk and to buy another, it's 1 hour drive. Pressuring SK to do well and he did. 

Making 3 

1. They keep practicing ballets every time every where. Can I say I love SK's white tee shirt look?

2. I love that SK's trying to show best lines. he's moving backward in pose to check mirror. 

3. SK's eating prop food appreciating the taste ;).

4. SK's so cute when he's with haraboji and halmoni. And they also seem to treat SK like their grandson. ;)

5. I love Sejong and CR's friendship. :) Director said they both look like dongnaebuk(translated, as town drum, meaning sandbag for everybody. ) 

6. Director having fun with SK on wheelchair. SK is so cute, making sure director is not playing another joke on him before sitting.

7. Another of my favorite scene, haraboji encouraging CR when he's down. I hope I can be someone like him when I get old.

Also, reaction clip for Navillera, from Universal Ballet principal dancers. (Universal Ballet is one of the 4 professional  ballet company in Korea).  They determined drama or real for scenes in the drama. :)

No English subtitle unfortunately, I tried to summarize here.

1. Solo practice in the dark - Drama.

He's saying then it'll be embarrassing when found he was practicing in the dark. 

2. Group practicing

Real. They do practice a lot. Also when there's no practice they fit their toe shoes themselves.

In their ballet company, teacher is more into practice than in the drama. Apparently current general director Moon is dancing with them.

3. Practice scene of SK - Real in the sense that when things are not getting well, dancers are also frustrated.

4. Ballet audition scene - those cute shoes are real:). It warms their feets. It has gotten popular since 10 years ago. 

Audition scene, she's saying they don't wear skirts to show lines better.

5. Number 5, shoulder's down. - Real. He got the exact same direction today.

6. Haraboji's test scene - Drama. It's too long, he may pull the muscle. Although 70 is not real, there is 1967 born ballerino in Korea.

7. Ballet practice etiquettes

CR and Sangsoo's verbal fight - will get reprimanded if they do it in front of the teacher. 

Leaning on piano is not allowed, even for a teacher.

No talk about injury. 

8. Ballet show - Both dancers are well known. And scene is so well done, showing viewpoint from dancers.

No standing ovation in real show in Korea, but they're saying they like to see standing ovation in real show and hope ballet gets more popular and familiar thru this drama.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 1

Navillera: Episode 5

by Branwen

navillera05-00321.jpg

Now our ballerino has decided on a course of action, he has to work hard to make his dream a reality. Our leads’ conflicting priorities give rise to some friction, but with a little kindness and some empathy they come to a compromise, and perhaps a better understanding of one another.

EPISODE 5 RECAP

Even after pressuring Eun-ho into doing extra work for her on the side, the restaurant manager gave her a low grade on her final assessment which means that Eun-ho has failed to get a permanent position at the company. Eun-ho confronts her but the manager is unapologetic and Eun-ho runs out crying. Chae-rok goes after her but loses her in the street.

Deok-chul scolds the manager for using her position to take advantage of desperate young interns. He feels sorry for young people nowadays who are tricked by duplicitous people like her into believing that their hard work will pay off, and tells her that she should be ashamed of herself.

Later that day, Chae-rok runs into Eun-ho and she tells him that since middle school her life has felt like a treadmill — she keeps running but she can never seem to move forward. Chae-rok says he felt the same way for years. He played soccer because his father wanted him to, but then he watched someone perform ballet and knew that he wanted to soar at least once in his lifetime. He wanted to be happy, so he went for it.

Chae-rok asks Eun-ho what makes her happiest, and she doesn’t have an answer. He tells her she needs to start by figuring that out before she can decide what to do next. After they part, Chae-rok calls Deok-chul to let him know Eun-ho’s safe and heading home.

Seong-san and Ae-ran sit at home waiting for Eun-ho, having already heard from a friend that she failed the recruitment. When she gets home Seong-san immediately hands her a list of companies that are hiring and tells her that she has to get a job at one of them by the end of the year.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/04/navillera-episode-5/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

I dont like how CRs father punished those boys. But it seems to be an acceptable way of training.

Clearly, this left a deep mark on HB.

Ho Beom, its time to move on.

Baby, you need to be smiling..

EyAcljRXIAAYy4d?format=jpg&name=medium

TvN

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Okay, finally finished ep 6. All I can say is: poor haraboji.... :criesariver: I just want him to soar! :heartxoxo:

On another note. I put up a poll, chingus. Please vote :glasses:

@joccu @nrllee @rocher22 @larus @mistymorning @gayyoxx @backstreetboysfan @carolinedl @Latte_Anyday @bedifferent @tofumochu @telzey @Bejaffled @cherriesblue @nohamahamoud2002

re: @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

• Like 9
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I dont like how CRs father punished those boys. But it seems to be an acceptable way of training.

Clearly, this left a deep mark on HB.

Ho Beom, its time to move on.

Corporal punishment have been banished from Korea's school system on 2012, but I think sports team had this as persistent issue. It is distasteful and I hope there's more story to it than just part of training. 

Original webtoon doesn't have this storyline(beating and CR's dad in prison). Hobum doesn't have much back story in webtoon other than being sort of bully to Chaerock. This story does make Hobum's character more interesting in the drama, and I am glad CR's fall was accident instead of purposeful action. Not saying beating is better, because that was definitely HB's intention, but breaking a leg is definitely worse. :( I noticed that CR seems to avoid accusing HB, maybe they were close friends before?

And Kim Kwon is a hottie! He's 31 years old and still look very young. Watching his angsty image on drama, both SK and KK is funny and soft souls in making clip. Hope they restore their friendship soon. :) 

• Like 5
  • Blob 2