[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

3 hours ago, orion00 said:

Choi Jin Hyuk just posted picture in his insta. Meaning the ending of Mr Queen is he back in the present time?

I am really afraid that this will go like 'Life on the Mars' route. For information..the main lead on that drama( He is a cop) experienced fantasy adventure when He is on comma state and the people He met on his adventure turned out to be dead people which their profile read by him accidentally when He is working on a case. Same thing with Bong Hwan... He has really good knowledge of Korean history which he bragged on early episodes which might be the reason why his fantasy is about Joseon era. I hope I am wrong... It's just too sad

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, illay said:

I am really afraid that this will go like 'Life on the Mars' route. For information..the main lead on that drama( He is a cop) experienced fantasy adventure when He is on comma state and the people He met on his adventure turned out to be dead people which their profile read by him accidentally when He is working on a case. Same thing with Bong Hwan... He has really good knowledge of Korean history which he bragged on early episodes which might be the reason why his fantasy is about Joseon era. I hope I am wrong... It's just too sad

OMG!!! I hope it won't be like "Life On The Mars"!!! :bawling:

I don't have any particular preference for the ending, I only want a satisfying happy ending for our OTP. The Royal Couple have so many Royal Fans. IF the drama give sad ending there will be riots around the world.

Giant-Flashy-Foxhound-small.gif

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

Hi,

As this twitter shared in this thread earlier, I am also worried about the possibility that it's the interview scene after BH woke up at the end.

Because I want this drama to end happily so I can't admit to myself that this will happen.  :bawling:

I've been thinking about this for 2 days and tried to find some points to prove that this scene happened before Bong Hwan became So Yong.

iCwnrUF.jpg

In Ep 01 he talked about a chef of emperor Qin Shi who invented fish cakes and his opinion was that "the chef was very lucky".

But in EP 12 after banquet, So-Bong said this

IUqu8Y6.jpg

After his experience in Joseon, his thought changed that the chef wasn't lucky but got inspiration from his determination to live. 

So the interview scene in EP 1 should happen before BH became SY and I can still maintain my hope for a happy ending

:hooray:

• Like 10
  • Insightful 8

54 minutes ago, zzang phoenix said:

Do you guys know something? I just found out that in real life, the place where King Cheoljeong died is Daejeojeon Hall:)) WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF

NOOOOOOOO:sad1:

I hope the writer-nim keep making it fiction story. 

Like, it's the alternative ending of CJ's life?

In history, it says that he could not read, and even dressed and behave not properly like a King. In the series, it's the opposite. So, I hope they make all the stories the opposite of the reality. Please, just give happy ending for the sake of real Cheoljong. He had wretched and hopeless life when he was alive. At least the author could give him a happy life in drama series(?) :pensive:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 9

I read somewhere, during their first reading, someone said that this is a comedy drama, so they should laugh a lot. 

And one of the leading actor/actress said that this is not a melodrama *CMIIW.. 

So far this is one of the best writing in Korean drama, so let’s enjoy the ride :) Let’s assume we will have a happy ending haha

Oh let me add something, I find this drama is so refreshing because without an A lister actor/actresses or Hallyu star, this drama could draw quite large attention, and achieve quite high ratings. *some people defending a drama when their top actor/actress playing as male lead (mostly as main lead), even when there was so many plot holes in the story. And then they blame Korean people for the low ratings.

But with Mr. Queen, I can remember that a good drama doesn’t  need a Hallyu star or an A lister, good script, decent fresh actress/actors, good PD-nim, they can create an enjoyable drama with high ratings.

• Like 10
  • Blob 1

Mr Queen will end on February 14th, the Valentine’s Day. Would they really give us a sad ending on a day like this? 

But I have to admit I’m really scared. Now that I think of it, the time travelling dramas I watched had either sad or RickRoll'D endings. To name few I still remember.

1) Queen In Hyun’s Man

Spoiler

The drama was nearly perfect except for the ending that didn’t make much sense. The male lead who was vibrant and confident when drama started wanted to commit suicide in the last episode because he couldn’t be with his lover. In the end his lover in the future somehow summoned him through a mobile phone!!! I just sat there dumbfounded and had to replay that ending several times. Even then I found the ending very lacking.

2) Life On Mars

Spoiler

As someone mentioned above, a male lead dreamed about dead people who he happened to read about before falling into coma. But after waking up from coma he felt his life was empty and fking JUMPED off a rooftop to commit suicide in order to continue living in his fantasy world.

3) Rooftop Prince

Spoiler

The king went back to the past and lived the rest of his life without his lover. In the present a female lead meets his reincarnation. What didn’t make sense was how were two versions of the same souls able to exist in the same time?! The king traveled into the future where his reincarnation was already born, so how did the same soul existed in two bodies at the same time?

4) Live Up To Your Name

Spoiler

A main lead decided to live permanently in the future with a heroine. Except that he was a genius physician who could have contributed so much for the people in his past, but he let go of it. While it was a romantic decision, I felt unsatisfied because he basically abandoned his cause.

So yeah, you can tell I didn’t like either ending!

As for Mr Queen the worst ending imaginable would be this:

So Yong and Bong Hwan are actually two different souls and in the last episode So Yong returns to her body. She doesn’t feel bad about someone else winning Cheoljong’s love for her. Cheoljong despite his intelligence won’t recognise that it’s not Bong Hwan anymore. Bong Hwan wakes up from a coma, continues to chase women, and never thinks about Cheoljong again.

LMAO if they give us this ending, I’m gonna blocklist this PD and writer forever.

What is your worst possible ending for Mr Queen? 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 2

@aisling

Can I add Scarlet Heart to your list?? That drama ending is one of the most heart wrenching for me.

My worst ending will be:

CheolJong Darling ends up dead, SoYong dead, JBH goes back to his body and cry cry cry.

add.

Another time travel or parallel universe drama that I despises because of the ending is Signal. I hate open ending. But I remember that Welcome 2 Life by Rain got happy end. Tunnel by Choi JinHyuk also great.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Why does everyone think you can pop out So Bong/Bong Hwan and have So Yong come back and everyone is happy. If that was the case let's ask identical twins, If their husband or wife would be happy with their twin. You don't think the King would notice his tigress disappear. 

Edited by Rae
Grammar
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't mind an ending where they show us, Cheoljong's soul is also from the future of a person who got into a similar accident like Bong-Hwan, which entered his body in Joseon at a younger age (hence, his 'memory loss' from younger years). And the only way to get back to the correct timeline, is to die in the Joseon-one. Since Cheoljong 'dies' 9 years before Cheorin as per history.... a 'modern-day' Cheoljong is a perfectly normal walking-talking human a little before Bong-Hwan comes out from his vegetative state in the hospital:)
Now this is only possible if the Joseon-timeline happens at a MUCH faster speed than our current timeline (in which Bong-Hwan is hospitalized).
So, is there any proof of this? Do we know how much time has passed in the hospital when the Doctors come to visit? But that still leaves us with the question: How will the Chef recognize Cheoljong in his modern-day appearance, or vice versa? T_T
[I admit I got this idea from another fluffy c-drama, that resolved the 'time-travel' aspect this way: i.e. BOTH the leads were time-travelers, they just never had the conversation within the alternate timeline. This also is a HIGHLY unlikely way to resolve this]

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

I think it is difficult to recharacterise Hwa Jin because her whole story began on a lie. 

She also played a part in the lie, being envious of So Yong when she was younger and wanted what So Yong had. 

She had the King's (CJ) affection because he thought about their shared past and due to family conflicts began his relationship with So Yong on a bad footing, believing that she was just like her family. 

Hwa Jin lost me when she said to So Bong that now she (So Bong) would know how she (Hwa Jin) feels after Dam Hyang was forced to take poison as her punishment. She knew how So Bong cherished the child and that was a low blow. (So Hwa Jin, sorry ....bye bye) 

I wished Byeong In had been better written but now he smells of Obsession (and not the Calvin Klein version) 

Hopefully there is some redemption for him (as he looks like he's eyeing the throne and So Bong/Yong along with it) 

Yeah, I know Jo Hwa Jin is far gone. That's why I only said i hope for writer to not further ruin Kim Byeong In and Prince Yeong Phyeong like the writer did with Jo Hwa Jin.

Jo Hwa Jin chose to ruin So Bong instead of helping Cheol Jong with crime book.

Kim Byeong In didn't choose that path yet. So far, he still choose So Bong over Cheol Jong, so I still have hope for him.

Writer uses so cheap way to ruin the characters. Instead of writing believable negative character development, the writer goes "Here are flashbacks that show that Jo Hwa Jin and Kim Byeong In were evil to begin with!" Then the characters suddenly start to act evil. There is not much deep emotion or negative arc, so the characters suddenly look foolish and just plain stock characters. Both Jo Hwa Jin and Kim Byeong In characters quickly lose their charms because of this.

Most viewers turned their backs on Jo Hwa Jin and Kim Byeong In characters after watching their evil flashbacks. Even if those two might not have many fans, two have been at least tolerable until the flashbacks happened.

Evil characters can be interesting and charming if they are well-written. Sadly, Jo Hwa Jin and Kim Byeong In are not well-written. I'm still mad with cheap evil flashback method. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chibi8535 said:

I wouldn't mind an ending where they show us, Cheoljong's soul is also from the future of a person who got into a similar accident like Bong-Hwan, which entered his body in Joseon at a younger age (hence, his 'memory loss' from younger years). And the only way to get back to the correct timeline, is to die in the Joseon-one. Since Cheoljong 'dies' 9 years before Cheorin as per history.... a 'modern-day' Cheoljong is a perfectly normal walking-talking human a little before Bong-Hwan comes out from his vegetative state in the hospital:)
Now this is only possible if the Joseon-timeline happens at a MUCH faster speed than our current timeline (in which Bong-Hwan is hospitalized).
So, is there any proof of this? Do we know how much time has passed in the hospital when the Doctors come to visit? But that still leaves us with the question: How will the Chef recognize Cheoljong in his modern-day appearance, or vice versa? T_T
[I admit I got this idea from another fluffy c-drama, that resolved the 'time-travel' aspect this way: i.e. BOTH the leads were time-travelers, they just never had the conversation within the alternate timeline. This also is a HIGHLY unlikely way to resolve this]

Time pass the same speed both in Joseon and modern era. That it something they established early in episode 7. 

5Ib9ea6.jpg

ZlClhLW.jpg

@Rae You’d be surprised how many people try to find “evidence” that it’s just So Yong reacting to Cheoljong and that can’t be Bong Hwan because that would be “too weird”. Some people reportedly even dropped Mr Queen because they won’t watch male/male pairing.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My worst possible ending: BH wakes up from coma and that whole Joseon events was nothing but a bad dream.

Something like the ending of Lovers in Paris.

I would burn the writer's office if this really happened. IT BETTER NOT!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Rae said:

Why does everyone think you can pop out So Bong/Bong Hwan and have So Yong come back and everyone's is happy. If that case let's ask identical twins If they would be happy if husband or wife would be happy with their twin. You don't think the King would notice is tigress disappear. 

I know, right? It's so frustrating. They don't care about two male Main Leads' happiness at all. Using Bong Hwan as a tool to achieve So Yong's happiness, then Cheol Jong should be just happy to be with So Yong who he hardly knows at all?!

We never once saw conscious So Yong taking over the body. The only time we actually see So Yong's soul is when drama literally shows So Yong's soul drowning until she disappeared into the bottom of the lake.

28 minutes ago, Ni Wen said:

My worst possible ending: BH wakes up from coma and that whole Joseon events was nothing but a bad dream.

Something like the ending of Lovers in Paris.

I would burn the writer's office if this really happened. IT BETTER NOT!

Oh my god, I hate dream ending so much! What's the purpose of drama if it's all freaking dream?!

Lovers in Paris had that ending? I stopped watching after male second lead faked amnesia. I thought that was the ending, the main leads together.

1 hour ago, cenching said:

My worst ending will be:

CheolJong Darling ends up dead, SoYong dead, JBH goes back to his body and cry cry cry.

add.

Another time travel or parallel universe drama that I despises because of the ending is Signal. I hate open ending.

Doesn't Mr Queen original have a happy ending? I would scream if the writer purposely makes it sad ending despite this whole drama being fantasy comedy genre. Sane people wouldn't be mad if writer changed the history because it's fantasy genre.

I really hated Signal ending. Signal is not even open ending. It's freaking same as dream ending! Almost everything the characters have done so far have been completely erased. All those achievements that present timeline Main Leads have accomplished disappeared into thin air. Even present timeline character relationships with minor characters have all been reset. For what?! We don't even get to see three Main Leads meet! 

2 hours ago, aisling said:

So Yong and Bong Hwan are actually two different souls and in the last episode So Yong returns to her body. She doesn’t feel bad about someone else winning Cheoljong’s love for her. Cheoljong despite his intelligence won’t recognise that it’s not Bong Hwan anymore. Bong Hwan wakes up from a coma and continue to chase women and never thinks about Cheoljong again.

LMAO if they give us this ending, I’m gonna blocklist this PD and writer forever.

Wow, yup, i agree that's worst ending for Mr Queen. 

That's throwing away whole character developments for all the characters. Three of them all becoming shallow characters.

• Like 5

@louisawatson Go Princess Go (the original Chinese series) was hilarious and even more outrageous than Mr Queen. It was also labelled as comedy and it ended really tragically. They reportedly filmed three alternative endings and all of them were sad. That’s why I’m scared the same thing will happen to Mr Queen. You can’t have quite a happy ending when there’s a body lying in coma. Either they will die in Joseon and Bong Hwan will wake up from coma, or Bong Hwan will choose to live as Kim So Yong and will abandon his body in future. Either way there will be unsatisfied viewers.  But I still hope they writer will surprise us with mind-blowing ending!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

I had hopes in the early episodes for BI's character.  He refused to assume any positions and he seemed to want to find his own way and not rely on his father's status, maybe also he didn't want to be embroiled in his machinations.  Didn't he also go out of town during the marriage in a bid to ease his pain from SY entering the palace and becoming out of reach?

I thought he could be their ace in the hole, if he truly loved SY, and has some sense of justice, then he can work behind the scenes to help CJ and his crew bec it would all make SY's life safer and better...

Even when he started questioning things, getting the govt position, I thought it was a bit justifiable as he sought to protect SY. 

BUT he just escalated, getting close to the line and then crossing it and leaving it far behind... talking back to the King, being arrogant and condescending to a person who even his Father (head villain) pretends to respect in public, barging into the queen's room, touching her and hugging her, colluding with the grand dowager queen, going behind his father, etc...

It will be hard now to walk his character back to the "light" but it might still be possible with some work, as I don't think he has done anything as irredeemable as HJ giving that log book to the dowager queen and aiming an arrow at the queen. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Is his love going to be bigger than his jealousy and anger at CJ? Or will he be consumed by this as HJ has?

• Like 4

After watching movie ‘Tenet’ I am amazed that it’s quite similar to Mr. Queen.

The main concept of ‘Tenet’ is what was called ‘Temporal pincer’ .

Here we have a normal person who travel forward in time. And simultaneously that same person in the future has a way to invert his entropy and travel backward in time through portal called ‘turnstile’. So we have a person who started from the ending point of an event and travel backward and met the same person who knows what happened at the beginning side. Both will share the experiences of both ends and with that knowledge they can change the course of event and create another parallel universe of different outcome.

If we started with a theory that the soul of Bong Hwan and So Yong is actually the same entity but existed in different times. And somehow entropy of Bong Hwan’s soul was inverted and traveled back in time with the knowledge of history and cooking skill (and also modern vocabularies) while the entity of So Yong’s soul travelled forward in time (with knowledge of what happened between SY and CJ) and both met at ‘turnstile’ or portal which is the lake/pool and shared knowledge to each other and then changed the fate of So Yong and Cheol Jong.

Spoiler alert - reveal ending of ‘Tenet’

Spoiler

At the end of ‘Tenet’, the protagonist realized it was himself in the past who knew what will happened in the future so he set up the team and recruited himself in the future to join the mission.

It’s similar to Mr. Queen in Ep 1 when Bong Hwan fell into the pool , it’s So Yong who swam to him and kissed him, can be assumed it’s the moment that So Yong recruited Bong Hwan because she knew this is herself in the future who can change the fate of her and Cheol Jong. 

Now it sounds more like a sci-fi period drama rather than fantasy-period drama. 

Probably I thought too much after watching a drama and a movie...

I just don’t want myself to have a headache alone, so shared it here.

:lol::joy:

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, aisling said:

@louisawatson Go Princess Go (the original Chinese series) was hilarious and even more outrageous than Mr Queen. It was also labelled as comedy and it ended really tragically. They reportedly filmed three alternative endings and all of them were sad. That’s why I’m scared the same thing will happen to Mr Queen. You can’t have quite a happy ending when there’s a body lying in coma. Either they will die in Joseon and Bong Hwan will wake up from coma, or Bong Hwan will choose to live as Kim So Yong and will abandon his body in future. Either way there will be unsatisfied viewers.  But I still hope they writer will surprise us with mind-blowing ending!

Oh, the original all have sad endings. 

It would be awesome if kdrama makes satisficing ending, but if not, I want at least bittersweet alternate endings.

1) Like you said, Bong Hwan gives up his original timeline, but he's happy with Cheol Jong.

2) Or Cheol Jong successfully gains back his power as king, but Bong Hwan doesn't want to give up his original timeline, so despite them loving each other, Bong Hwan decides to go back, and Cheol Jong lets him go. Bong Hwan goes to museum to see better changed history, and meet modern Cheol Jong.

3) Or Bong Hwan decides to go back after their crown prince has grown up, and Cheol Jong decides to follow him to modern timeline. Somehow, it works. Now, Bong Hwan needs to help Cheol Jong get used to the modern era.

I like third option where Cheol Jong becomes successful king, and both Cheol Jong and Bong Hwan raise a child together, then later Bong Hwan gets to return back home, but together with Cheol Jong to be still happy together.

For this to work, Cheol Jong needs to completely know and still in love with identity of Bong Hwan. 

35 minutes ago, cdcotr said:

I had hopes in the early episodes for BI's character.  He refused to assume any positions and he seemed to want to find his own way and not rely on his father's status, maybe also he didn't want to be embroiled in his machinations.  Didn't he also go out of town during the marriage in a bid to ease his pain from SY entering the palace and becoming out of reach?

I thought he could be their ace in the hole, if he truly loved SY, and has some sense of justice, then he can work behind the scenes to help CJ and his crew bec it would all make SY's life safer and better...

Even when he started questioning things, getting the govt position, I thought it was a bit justifiable as he sought to protect SY. 

BUT he just escalated, getting close to the line and then crossing it and leaving it far behind... talking back to the King, being arrogant and condescending to a person who even his Father (head villain) pretends to respect in public, barging into the queen's room, touching her and hugging her, colluding with the grand dowager queen, going behind his father, etc...

It will be hard now to walk his character back to the "light" but it might still be possible with some work, as I don't think he has done anything as irredeemable as HJ giving that log book to the dowager queen and aiming an arrow at the queen. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Is his love going to be bigger than his jealousy and anger at CJ? Or will he be consumed by this as HJ has?

This! He could have been a good ally. BUT he just escalated! 

Yeah, I agree, Kim Byeong In didn't do anything irredeemable like Haw Jin had done with the book, so i still hope for him becoming an ally. 

But I believe going behind his father is a good trait since his father is a villain. He just thought grand queen dowager would care more about So Bong if he becomes helpful. After all, she is the part of royal family, not his father.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1