[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

4 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Hence, my take is that he wasn’t doing it to try to be the Do San in the letters by keeping them, but instead those were items that allowed him to see into Dalmi’s young heart and feelings and he felt like that was all he has after he thought the two had moved on to their new “relationship”. 

What JP was going through was hidden from DM’s perspective, but the writer did not intend for DM to go out of her way to find out more about JP’s story either. And that’s probably because DM had fallen in love with the real DS, and not the DS of her memory. 

I for one must say that her first answer when DS asked her why she loved him, and she just said “I don’t know, why do you keep asking me this”, was quite perplexing. And I think that’s also the character that she’s carried with her in how she faced JP and how she faces certain challenges at work. 

However it reminds me that we are seeing deeply flawed and imperfect characters in this show, which is quite a far cry from the usual kdramas which, even if they show flaws, they bandaid it with heroic actions or cute romantic fluff or a backstory which gives a free pass to any actions to make viewers find it endearing. But here, we see deep imperfections in our characters: Dosan with his low self esteem and lack of ambition (his old self, his new is just a 180 degree transformation), DM with her brash competitiveness (against her sis) and also lack of self confidence to tackle difficult situations head-on, and JP with his pettiness and brutal communication style. 

I couldn't agree with you more.  In my clumsy write up, I didn't convey what I want to say clearly :D  Yes, it was a remnant of Dalmi that he wants to keep.  I also see it as Dosan wanted to believe the letter was addressed to him and about the person that he is/could be.   Reading her words, he imagines her faith in him as a good person.  I agree that Dosan was ready to return the letter prior to realizing that he desperately needed to still be connected to Dalmi and settled to have her words instead. :(

I want to add it's symbolic that Dosan didn't want the money tree, which is Dalmi's wish for success and wealth.  Instead, he chose to have the letter where she praised a person's character.  That said a lot about what is important to Dosan... family, friendship, love - not material wealth.  Jipyeong was the unintended receiver of the money tree, befittingly in hind sight.  While Jipyeong couldn't quite win Dalmi's heart, I hope he'll venture into a successful and profitable new partnership with Tarzan.  Or at least invest in the Tarot card app thingy. LOL

You're right, Dalmi never witness the things Jipyeong did for her.  Think it's consistent with the Cyrano figure, always in the shadow, overlooked, underappreciated.   

OK, so the deal with Dalmi.  I too was disappointed that she couldn't verbalized the reasons when Dosan asked her.  Perhaps it's intentional that she couldn't explain why she loves him from the writer POV.  Her answer is supposed to be vague and undefinable to contrast Dosan's logical mind.  If you think about it, love cannot be quantified, explained, duplicated, or solved.  It's a mystery with many uncontrollable variables.  While Dosan is good at coming up with facts, Dalmi can't explain her feelings the same way.   It has to be explained in this way because Dosan finds it illogical/impossible that she could love him.  LOL  I don't know, that's my own explanation, what do you think? HAHAHA  Dalmi as a character, doesn't quite excite me as the other 3 .... so I will leave it at that.  

I find the journeys our four made, in the word of Dosan-shi, quite marvelous and 100% relatable.  Start Ups are always shaky and need a lot of work.  Not many have clear vision and mistakes are aplenty.   I hope we see more characters like them in future dramas.

4 hours ago, Kabi said:

Throughout the drama, I thought even though the girl on the swing is obviously DM, but it's actually Injae who spends more time contemplate about it. What does it mean to be the girl on the swing? What direction she wanna head with her life? IJ might not be exactly that girl, but she understands that girl symbolism, probably even more than DM. I thought Dalmi's letter has spoken to DS in the same way, helping him found the direction of his life!

Yeah... I am sad that Injae was underutilized.   I must say I really like that toward the end, Injae finally understood the meaning of sandbox and her father's vision.  I am beginning to believe that Injae avoided getting on the swing as a little girl because she fears the risk of falling.  Does anyone think the same?  In this last episode, seeing Dalmi's hesitation, Injae knew she must offer to be her sister's sandbox if she is to beat Morning Group.  She needs to support Dalmi in place of her father so that her sister can swing higher.  The siblings have already found their way back to each other but this instance really underlined how Injae took the initiative to protect Dalmi.  I also am happy that she was willing to take more risks instead of playing safe.  I really how much she has matured as a person.  She did it.  She didn't have follow her step father's business ethics to achieve her success.  Good for her.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

OK, so the deal with Dalmi.  I too was disappointed that she couldn't verbalized the reasons when Dosan asked her.  Perhaps it's intentional that she couldn't explain why she loves him from the writer POV.  Her answer is supposed to be vague and undefinable to contrast Dosan's logical mind.  If you think about it, love cannot be quantified, explained, duplicated, or solved.  It's a mystery with many uncontrollable variables.  While Dosan is good at coming up with facts, Dalmi can't explain her feelings the same way.   It has to be explained in this way because Dosan finds it illogical/impossible that she could love him.  LOL  I don't know, that's my own explanation, what do you think?

I think that’s a very plausible explanation for her answer and also her actions in general. To show the contrast between those two people and the way they think. And yes, love isn’t always logical :lol: there are so many factors that draws a person to another, and the right time and place and context and personality and everything elseeeee plays a part in that mystery of falling in love. That’s why most people don’t always end up marrying or getting together with the type they had in their minds in their early days, let alone the perfect guy! 

• Like 4

Love the ending... now, dramas gotta copy this drama’s example in tying everything so nicely together at the end.. nothing felt rushed or wasted in the use of the drama’s time... though I’m happy for Nam Do-San, my heart just breaks for JiPyeong... his crying makes me tell my mom (who was also watching the series with me): “I’m here, don’t cry. I’ll have you.” Lol

• Like 8

I loved the ending.. will gather my thoughts in a separate post but I'm happy JP became a part of their "family.":wub:

The SamSan bros are just adorable. I got teary-eyed when they went back to their old office and reflected on their journey together. 

It was a satisfying episode overall :D

• Like 5

I'm really happy that we got a nice ending to this drama. not all drama have this level of good ending. those story telling pictures and 1 year time jump to present is similar to the ending of "While you were sleeping". I guess it really good when you want to tell lot of stories in short period of time.

Overall, this drama is in my top 10 kdrama, it starts of nicely and ends nicely. If they shorten the triangle love conflict and replace it with more elaboration of business/family plot inside ep 15 and 16, it could be my no1 of all time. love conflict peak at ep12(DS&DM together again) . ep13-16 focus on business/family reunion. that would be gold for me.  Anyway, I look forward to another work by PHR. Her stories suit my taste.

By the way, love that rainbow kiss scene!

• Like 6

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

What a brilliant cameo! I wasn’t prepared for Yeo Jin Goo to show up like that!

I don’t think all viewers caught it but Young Sil, AI device Ji Pyeong has, was voiced by Yeo Ji Goo the whole time. 

08910526-AE6-C-4-E24-9206-C9-EFB58-E35-A

That’s why Ji Pyeong was so startled when he heard the voice of a young CEO and then said he wanted invested personally because he liked his voice.

55139-D79-6297-4-CAF-A0-B8-8-E8-A0-E394-

40-BCC10-E-5-F36-4-E15-8-D29-FFDBF10-FEC

That was a meaningful cameo.

• Like 9