[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

“Jirisan” Does A Complete 180 And Redeems Itself With Newly Released Character Details

Netizens are pouring out their praises for the K-Drama’s screenwriter.

3uIZj-im7J8cUQVKEhOzIhYQpggszzWzODSwVfo0

Jun Ji Hyun and Ju Ji Hoon‘s highly anticipated series Jirisan was off to a rough start, as viewers expressed their disappointment with the K-Drama’s premiere. From the “amateurish” CG effects to the excessive product placements (PPL), netizens were displeased with what the tvN series had been offering thus far.

Following the second episode, however, tvN uploaded a series of character posters that have started to take the internet by storm—and they were just what Jirisan needed to change its reputation.

The production company shared a few different character introduction posters onto their official website, describing the detailed backgrounds of Jirisan‘s main characters.

Up first, tvN shared this mysterious photo of Kang Hyun Jo (Ju Ji Hoon) in a hospital bed, while Seo Yi Gang (Jun Ji Hyun) can be seen in a wheelchair. As the photo alone generated a lot of curiosity, tvN provided this unexpected backstory:

Spoiler

This is the story of a woman who can no longer go up the mountains, and of a man who can’t seem to leave the mountains.

While he loved the mountains more than anyone, due to a fiery accident, he was declared brain dead. He has been floating around the mountain as a ghost ever since.

She worked endlessly to save as many people as she could, but she became bound to a wheelchair and was no longer able to access the mountain again.

They were suddenly unable to see each other or meet each other, but due to Mount Jiri’s special gift, they were able to rescue people on the mountain once again. They want to do whatever it takes to ensure that no one else dies on the mountain.

They put their own lives on the line to protect the mountain and to expose the truth. This is the story of Ranger Yi Gang (Jun Ji Hyun) and Hyun Jo (Ju Ji Hoon).

— tvN’s newly released character posters

Jun Ji Hyun’s character, Seo Yi Gang was introduced as the mountain’s “best ranger” who, unfortunately, has a sad history with Mount Jiri. It was revealed that her parents were 2 of the 100 people who passed away in the 1995 flood.

And while she tried her hardest to leave the mountain, she had to stay behind for her grandmother. Years later, she eventually became the mountain’s top ranger. However, due to a tragic accident, Seo Yi Gang became bound to a wheelchair, ending her love affair with Mount Jiri.

Jun Ji Hyun’s character poster | tvN

Ju Ji Hoon’s character, Kang Hyun Jo was introduced as “the rookie ranger” who lost a subordinate in a training accident. However, it was after this accident that Hyun Jo began to receive special powers, as he could start seeing the deaths of people on the mountain.

During a mountain fire, Hyun Jo found himself in a tragic situation, which would eventually leave him brain dead. Ever since, he has been roaming around the mountain as a ghost entity. As he tries to escape the terrors of Mount Jiri and the deaths that haunt him, he realizes that the only person that can rescue him is Yi Gang.

Ju Ji Hoon’s character poster | tvN

Last, but most certainly not least, we have actress Go Min Si‘s charater Lee Da Won. tvN describes this ranger intern as the “ray of sunshine.” After Yi Gang (Jun Ji Hyun) returns as a ranger in a wheelchair, Lee Da Won chooses her as a role model due to her “skills and character.” 

Lee Da Won’s character poster details that she goes into the mountain in place of Yi Gang, and it was there that she meets a blood covered Hyun Jo (Ju Ji Hoon), who looked lost and confused.

Go Min Si’s character poster | tvN

With such revelations, Korean netizens naturally couldn’t help but express their shock at the details provided. The very viewers who were criticizing Jirisan just days ago, had a 180 change of heart following the characters’ backstories.

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/jirisan-redeem-character-details/?fbclid=IwAR2OXfaPeAI__EzgAejwGG4BayfzlgW2fQoBJfW7J2Ll7D7cE7xUqMv3dMk

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

@Prettysup Thank you for sharing the latest domestic viewer reactions to Jirisan. Am really surprised that it takes premature reveals of the plot and character backstories to stop the backlash. While I am glad and relieved for the production that viewers are now recanting their criticisms, I cannot help but be sad for them that they had to go to such lengths to win them back. Knowing KEH's propensity for clues, red herrings, twists and turns, it spoils the unique experience of only being privy to them at the measured pace she originally intended, thus whatever guesswork or presumptions we might have had as a viewer of what is now announced is now taken away from us. I hope that once the dust has settled, such off-screen drama is a thing of the past, and we can be free to view the drama at the pace KEH planned with no more unnecessary spoilers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 Things We Loved About The Highly-Anticipated Premiere Of “Jirisan”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 29, 2021

We were all waiting for this premiere. It was always looming on the horizon, as we waited oh so patiently for teasers, trailers, posters, and a date. Low and behold, the day finally arrived, and we were able to see the mega Hallyu stars on the small screen, doing what they do best. They not only delivered, but the premiere achieved the highest premiere ratings of any weekend drama ever in tvN history. This is the power that Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon hold in the industry, and we are honestly not even the slightest bit surprised. Curious to see what we thought? Here are four things we loved about the premiere!

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

1. Jun Ji Hyun

jun-ji-hyun.gif

This is Jun Ji Hyun’s return to the small screen after four years, her last series being “The Legend of the Blue Sea.” She did star in the prequel special to “Kingdom,” but it has definitely been awhile since we have seen the queen in a full-length series, and we could hardly contain ourselves.

Jun Ji Hyun plays elite ranger Seo Yi Kang, who is one of the best when it comes to rescuing people who are lost or have been hurt in the vast Mount Jiri National Park. As the series has flashbacks and flash-forwards, we see Yi Kang in a wheelchair and injured, having returned as a ranger after taking some time off. We are unsure of the exact events as to how she got injured but do know that it took place two years prior. It seems this mystery will further be uncovered as the series progresses.

You can be certain that Jun Ji Hyun will captivate viewers with her aura and charm. She has that legendary presence that will keep you engaged in the series and really does own the screen whenever she’s on. It’s nice seeing the classic Jun Ji Hyun who is great at playing characters who are bold, outspoken, and confident. Queen goals!

2. Joo Ji Hoon

joo-ji-hoon.png

Joo Ji Hoon plays Kang Hyun Jo, a newbie ranger who gets hired at Mount Jiri National Park. He is partnered up with Yi Kang and seems to always be trailing behind her. The two quickly bond and seem to be a good team as they are able to track down the missing boy in the first episode fairly quickly. When the series jumps to 2020, we see Hyun Jo in a coma as a result of an accident that happened in the past that also involved Yi Kang.

Joo Ji Hoon is known to always bring his all in his roles, and we also know that he has fantastic chemistry with his co-stars. It is no different in this particular seriesm and we’re honestly loving seeing the connection he seems to already have with Yi Kang. I couldn’t help but squeal at that moment the two held hands on top of the mountain – as far from romantic as it may have been, I’m still here for it.

Although it is a bit too early too tell, Hyun Jo will provide a very significant secret that may help uncover the mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain. It is only a matter of time before this is revealed, and we can hardly wait!

3. The INSANE supporting cast.

Seriously, this supporting cast is ridiculous. It’s not often that you come across a cast that is this legendary and talented. It was definitely overwhelming seeing this stellar cast all in the first two episodes, but we’re looking forward to each of their developments.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1495120wpp/4-things-we-loved-about-the-highly-anticipated-premiere-of-jirisan

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Jun Ji Hyun and Ju Ji Hoon‘s highly anticipated series Jirisan was off to a rough start, as viewers expressed their disappointment with the K-Drama’s premiere. From the “amateurish” CG effects to the excessive product placements (PPL), netizens were displeased with what the tvN series had been offering thus far.

I am really excited for this drama but in episode 1, I did feel that the camera was too shaky  and very fast and I wasn't able to focus on the beauty of the mountain, content of the story. The dialogues were fast too. Unfortunately my husband who doesn't know korean couldn't keep up. Since I have been watching dramas for 10 years, I was able to understand even though I didn't see the subs all the time.

The story is great but the direction needs a bit of improvement.

So I do see the sentiments of the public.

Nevertheless, I'll be watching and enjoying this drama.

• Like 3

Jun Ji Hyun, Joo Ji Hoon, And Other Rangers Team Up For A Disorderly Battle Against Shamans In “Jirisan”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 30, 2021
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Jirisan” has released new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoilers

The rangers of Mount Jiri impressed viewers with their passion and diligence as they worked hard to save lives, even in the heavy storms. They encounter all kinds of incidents on the job, but the next one just might take the cake.

In the new stills, Kang Hyun Jo, Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se), Park Il Hae (Jo Han Chul), and more are led by the imposing Seo Yi Kang. They are overflowing with determination as if they’re about to launch a huge operation.

jirisan-12.jpg

Spoiler

joo-ji-hoon1.jpg

The big operation in question involves shamans, who are illegally attempting to perform an exorcism in an off-limit zone in the mountain. The rangers raid the area where the procession is taking place and desperately try to stop the ceremony. Despite the people’s protest, the rangers, especially Park Hae Il, stay rooted to their spot.

jo-han-chul.jpg

Spoiler

oh-jung-se.jpg

jirisan-21.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1496040wpp/jun-ji-hyun-joo-ji-hoon-and-other-rangers-team-up-for-a-disorderly-battle-against-shamans-in-jirisan

• Like 2

OMG I just realized why the shaman looked at Yigang so weird when she was talking to the girl!

Wait, Hyunjo isn't dead, why is he roaming around?

I don't think the Chief (Sung Dong il's character) is the killer. The smile & the wrist of the killer look like he is young. All of the shot of the glove, yellow strings, and suspicious scenes of him are a red herring (no way the writer wants to drop obvious hint on the killer's identity this soon). However, I do think he knows what's going on. He doesn't seem suspicious to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GONE said:

OMG I just realized why the shaman looked at Yigang so weird when she was talking to the girl!

Wait, Hyunjo isn't dead, why is he roaming around?

I don't think the Chief (Sung Dong il's character) is the killer. The smile & the wrist of the killer look like he is young. All of the shot of the glove, yellow strings, and suspicious scenes of him are a red herring (no way the writer wants to drop obvious hint on the killer's identity this soon). However, I do think he knows what's going on. He doesn't seem suspicious to me. 

He might very well be in deep coma at the moment so in a way he is dead as his soul is trapped on Jirisan while his body in the hospital is just a empty vessel that kept alive by machines...

Till now we've got quite a few shady characeters Jung Gu-yeong and Jo Dae Jin but after ep 3 i've added Kim Sol,the cultural resorces resercer as very highly up there as well,based on the little glances we've seen...Yet the close-ups at the end of ep 3(the cliff) point more towards Jung Gu-yeong(Oh Jun Se) as the killer,mole included.

The think is if it's indeed him it doesn't match up with the action as he was as the Center when the killer was on the mountain with the Grandma case for ex....

• Like 2

Omg episode 3!! The writer is amazing; I really love her story telling and connecting the layers and the supernatural bit to the main story; nothing feels off and there is a never a dull moment each episode. I had to watch it twice because the first time I was doing chores and missed details - was so confused lol. These details and how they now start delving into our leads backstories. Lesson of the week: don’t go eating or drinking random yogurt and stuff found in the forest!!! The last scene of Hyun Jo finally connecting the dots was sooo good! Chills!!!

Spoiler

I feel bad for both leads having to witness the untimely deaths of people they cared for. Hyun Jo has been blaming himself for his friend’s death when it wasn’t his fault! I do think he got the supernatural gift to save people too. Looking to learn more about this killer too - why?!? 

Chills and seriously one of the reasons I fear camping lol there’s been so many real cases too. 

So the first time line is about catching the killer and obviously something went wrong and now our ML is in a coma and is a ghost roaming the mountain?? Yi-Gang seems to be leaving messages for him?? 

The instrumental soundtrack is also nice and I noticed it well watching this episode. I can’t wait to hear Jin’s OST song. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 2

Jun Ji Hyun Gets One Step Closer To Unraveling The Mystery In “Jirisan”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 31, 2021
by S. P

Jun Ji Hyun dives headfirst into the mysterious case in tvN’s “Jirisan”!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, the people in distress either died from mysterious causes or got into accidents. In addition to a solider who nearly died after drinking a beverage that someone had given him and residents of the mountain who lost their lives, the numerous inexplainable happenings are causing Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo to grow suspicious.

With certainty growing that someone is purposely attempting to harm visitors to the mountain, Seo Yi Kang discovered a bloody guidepost ribbon in the desk of the Haedong branch head Jo Dae Jin (Sung Dong Il). As Kang Hyun Jo, who had seen the same ribbon two years ago, suggested that the ribbon had been removed on purpose to make hikers lose their way, it’s evidence that’s hard to pass up.

In the new stills, Seo Yi Kang searches for clues in the Haedong branch office, suggesting that she will get closer to uncovering the truth. As Seo Yi Kang can’t go up the mountain herself, the rookie ranger Lee Da Won (Go Min Si) becomes her legs. Based on her distressed expression, she appears to have discovered something on her expedition.

Spoiler

Jun-Ji-Hyun3.jpeg

Go-Min-Si1.jpeg

Furthermore, Kang Hyun Jo continues to follow wherever his visions lead him, with viewers growing increasingly curious about how he ended up in a coma.

Joo-Ji-Hoon2.jpeg

Spoiler

Joo-Ji-Hoon-12.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1496274wpp/jun-ji-hyun-gets-one-step-closer-to-unraveling-the-mystery-in-jirisan

I have this theory that the soldier who supposedly died during the explosion was not dead but is the one exacting revenge on people who come to particular spots in the mountain. Many things are happening in the mountain, but not all of them are good and rejuvenating. 

However, rookie ranger Lee Da Won saw the mysterious man face to face, but while she was startled, she stared at him. Could it be that she knows him?

Kang Hyun Jo decided to come back to the mountain where his accident happened to look for the body of the soldier who died in the explosion. He was also wounded there, but was dismissed by the army due to the death of a junior officer under his command. Those yellow ribbons, according to Hyun Jo, were tied differently. I guess the loop of the knot points to the direction a person should follow. He mentioned that it seemed the ribbons were tied in a way to make people go in another direction and get lost.

For me the supporting cast, except for a few, are not really into their roles. They do not look  and act like park rangers. They do not even look like volunteers. They appear like bystanders that were roped in to help instead of just gawking. In short, they are just posturing.

The transition for the time jumps are not smoothly done, so it was jarring to be watching a scene in 2020 then jump back to 2018, and vice versa, which cuts off the flow of the story drastically. Another thing that bothers me, and I believe, most of the viewers is how dark some of the scenes were. You literally cannot see anything even if you increase the brightness of your device. You can only hear the audio. It looks like the work of an amateur director who's trying to impress but end up failing in the process.

The story is good, the production treatment is bad. It's no wonder the ratings are dropping and many viewers are complaining. Hopefully it will do better in the succeeding episodes.

• Like 3

The first 4 eps are pretty good in my opinion. A mix of Suspense, mystery, humour,  thou supernatural theme is not what I've expected when I first read abou Jirisan months before. It was a good plot twist!

To each his own. Some are criticizing the way the story is directed and  the plot twist at end of ep1, but I think if you follow each scene, you will know if it is 2018 or 2020, especially Jun Jihyun's acting.  She was happy go lucky in 2018, but sombre in 2020.  The moods portrayed are clearly different in each time period. I dont actually have problems following the jump in timeline, but I guess there may be some who are less familiar with such storyline may find it difficult to follow....

I wish people would give the plot time to thicken, isnt that the point of a suspense thriller with 16eps (meaning 16-20hours of airtime)..  Surely you cannot expect things to be clear every minute from first hour?  

This will likely be a repeat of The King which genre is not a fit for all.  I actually enjoy King immensely cos it is fresh and different from a typical kdrama full of family revenge, mistresses or sociopaths,  gues I am a different breed from the rest lol...  Jirisan is definitely one that I will follow till the end! I cant wait for the mystery of the snowy night in 2019 to unveil!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lilsakus said:

To each his own. Some are criticizing the way the story is directed and  the plot twist at end of ep1, but I think if you follow each scene, you will know if it is 2018 or 2020, especially Jun Jihyun's acting.  She was happy go lucky in 2018, but sombre in 2020.  The moods portrayed are clearly different in each time period. I dont actually have problems following the jump in timeline, but I guess there may be some who are less familiar with such storyline may find it difficult to follow....

I dont think there will be any problem differentiating 2018 or 2020 when Yi-gang is present. One is walking and one is in a wheelchair, pretty straightforward. 

• Like 6