[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

“Jirisan” Ratings Climb Back Up As “Chimera” Rises For 2nd Episode

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 1, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Jirisan” is back on the rise!

Last week, the new drama starring Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon premiered to the highest viewership ratings of any weekend drama in tvN history, then broke into the double digits for its second episode. However, after its promising start, “Jirisan” saw a dip in viewership for its third episode, which fell to an average nationwide rating of 7.9 percent.

On October 31, “Jirisan” successfully turned things around with its fourth episode, which scored an average nationwide rating of 9.4 percent and took first place in its time slot across all cable channels. The drama also took first place in its time slot across all channels—including public broadcast networks—among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 4.4 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1496378wpp/jirisan-ratings-climb-back-up-as-chimera-rises-for-2nd-episode

• Like 2

Jirisan: Episode 2

by theintrovertbean

jirisan2-00119a.jpg

As we try to unravel what mysteries lie within the mountains our rangers continue their often dangerous, sometimes fun, work of taking care of nature and her visitors. While our rookie ranger struggles to understand what his visions mean, we catch a glimpse into the past of his partner. What history does our veteran ranger have with Jirisan?

EPISODE 2 RECAP

jirisan2-00005.jpg

In 2018, sixty-two days before Hyun-jo joins the Jirisan ranger team. A lone hiker treks on the mountain and passes by some yellow ribbon trail markers tied to various tree branches. As he passes out of sight, someone dressed all in black quietly goes about moving the ribbon markers to different branches.

A new hiker comes along the path and carefully follows the trail markers. As he treks onward, we get one last glimpse of him — with the figure in black following behind him.

Yi-kang visits the police station, to the surprise of KIM WOONG-SOON (Jeon Seok-ho). Yi-kang gets straight to the point, asking if Woong-soon knows anything about the case of Yang Geun-tak, the missing hiker that Yi-kang knew the location of.

Woong-soon flips through the case file’s photos and tells Yi-kang he’d heard it was declared an accidental death. Yi-kang asks if he knows anything about the yellow ribbon that was found with Yang’s remain. He replies that he’s just a low-ranking officer so he wouldn’t know more about it, but figures that the case being closed means everything looked normal. He hesitantly asks if she found something strange about the ribbon.

jirisan2-00015.jpg

Da-won enters the office and marvels at how Yi-kang was able to clean the station and organize the files — even documents Gu-young put off doing for a month. Gu-young defends himself, saying patrols and rescues kept him busy. Da-won abruptly asks if he and Yi-kang are really the same age, implying that he looks older. Gu-young scoffs and says that he’s technically younger by a few months.

Dae-jin finds Yi-kang reviewing CCTV footage of Jirisan and asks if she’s looking for the trail marker. He still thinks it’s a coincidence and probably a prank. Yi-kang counters that Jirisan is huge and the marker pointing towards the missing hiker is too exact to be a coincidence.

Beyond the marker, he can’t understand why she was even looking at photos of Jirisan when she’d nearly died and had been hospitalized for a year. Was it because of Hyun-jo? Yi-kang remains silent but glimpses of a winter’s day flash by.

A rock coming down on someone’s head with a splatter of blood against snow, Yi-kang looking terrified then a fall in the snow, a bloody Hyun-jo lying on the ground, and Yi-kang being carried off unconscious on a stretcher.

Dae-jin continues to probe, and asks what prompted them to climb Jirisan that day. She finally responds, only to state simply, “Nothing. We only tried to protect the mountain. Because that was our job.”

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/jirisan-episode-2/

• Like 2

This thread is surprisingly not moving fast. Anyway i am watching epi 4 now and i have to say this...

Mjjh=Male Ju Jihoon.

Fjjh=Female Jun Jihyun.

I'm guessing Mjjh's spirit left his body and got trapped in the mountain during the "accident". He leaves traces of the future deaths which he can see in advance by using the sticks and rocks system of language which he and Fjjh developed as work buddies previously. This is why there are mountain climbers who claim they can see a male spirit roaming the mountain, whom one of them already identified the so called male spirit's identity to Fjjh. 

If i'm not wrong, there is another spirit roaming the mountain and this spirit in particular is evil with ill intentions.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

EP 3 Review <Iqiyi again went on VIP mode so have to wait for EP4>

Ermm maybe too early but again these UNIT Type stories are hard to work out, and the gaps are showing now. We know how The ML got supernatural powers now and there is a killer who gives yogurt <Oh Jung Sae or the Chief heh> which leads to hallucination and suicides and killings, oh well. ML is the NOW 2020 Supernatural guy giving signals to YiGang because he is the chosen one from the Mountain to roam around even when he dissipates. 

I mean I think Yogurt giver is a ranger because it is easier to accept food from a Ranger than a stranger while Hiking in remote Mountain areas I guess. 

18 hours ago, lilsakus said:

This will likely be a repeat of The K which genre is not a fit for all.  I actually enjoy K immensely cos it is fresh and different from a typical kdrama full of family revenge, mistresses or sociopaths,  gues I am a different breed from the rest lol...  Jirisan is definitely one that I will follow till the end! I cant wait for the mystery of the snowy night in 2019 to unveil!

Uptil Ep 3 , Jirisan has a clearer Year switch pattern than said show but that show had a more coherent storyline in earlier episodes. Hope Jirisan can come up with a Fuller plot than hunt the Killer and reach to THE INCIDENT That led JJhoon in comatose state.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! A late comer here!

So the series started off in 2018 where Yi Kang was still walking and Hyun Jo first joined the group. Then they must have been working together until 2019 and she is on the wheelchair & he is in coma as of 2020. What happened a year ago that they ended up falling apart? We only see flashbacks so hope they would air the full story later.

And Hyun Jo's spirit is more like the guardian of mount Jirisan in 2020. I don't think Oh Jung Se's character is bad but I suspect Chief Go/Jo's character. Why would he keep yellow ribbons all by himself? :sweatingbullets:

It's been a long time since I watch Gianna Jun in a drama! Some scenes are too dark as members mentioned earlier but the storyline is interesting so I will give this a try! Looking forward for new episodes this week! :)

• Like 1

Its a sudden surprise for me bcoz i didnt expect watching a ghost drama. I never good in scary thingy. So, i need to skip the scene with ghost KHJ. Huuuu... I wonder how SYK going up to second floor with wheelchair? I dont think ranger office got lift... Or it might be? 

Why called KHJ as a ghost? I dont want him to die!!! Tears.. 

Rangers! Lets work together to solve the disturbance, so KHJ can come back to his body alive. 

We dont know the extend of SYK injury though.

I'm finding the drama very interesting so far, tbh. I had high expectations because of Jun Ji Hyun, she's my favorite korean actress. I'm not used to see her acting in a serious way, sometimes I even find it odd lol but she's doing great as always.

About the plot: I've seen some people saying that they are not understanding what's going on but I'm not finding confusing at all. 

About the characters: unfortunately I'm already in love with Yi Gang and Hyun Jo relationship with each other. Why unfortunately? Because I'm already shipping them and because I've been knew that the writer doesn't usually make her protagonists romantically involved and this is not a romantic drama. So I'll be just suffering seeing their great chemistry together knowing that there will be probably nothing explicitly romantic between them lol

I'm still looking forward to the next episodes anyway. 

• Like 3

Looks like there are two killers; the yogurt drink and yellow ribbons. The MOs are different. The yogurt drink killer targets any hikers while the yellow ribbon killer targets illegal hikers.  The yogurt killer isn't one of the main casts but the yellow ribbon killer is. He knows about the mountain and seems to be avoiding the rangers' patrol. One of my yellow ribbon killer suspects is the photographer. He seems sus. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Watch: “Jirisan” Cast Make Each Other And The Crew Crack Up With Improvised Lines And Playing With Props

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 3, 2021
by C. Hong

tvN has shared a behind-the-scenes video from episodes 3 and 4 of “Jirisan”!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

The video begins with Oh Jung Se and Jun Ji Hyun waiting to film a scene together. He munches on the nuts that have been provided in a jar as a prop and she asks him playfully, “Is it good?” He then chugs the thing like a drink and offers her some, and she rejects it with the comment, “Didn’t you put your mouth on it?” He shrugs and says, “What’s that between colleagues,” causing Jun Ji Hyun to burst out laughing. Later, Joo Ji Hoon appears to take a handful of nuts himself.

In another scene, Oh Jung Se accidentally messes up a take when, instead of being surprised by Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon sneaking up behind him, he is startled by a noise made by the production staff instead. He makes up for it by ad-libbing some lines during the scene, which makes the director laugh as he says, “Cut.” In another scene, Jun Ji Hyun asks Go Min Si if she’s seen anything strange on the mountain, to which she’s supposed to innocently respond, “No.” But Go Min Si makes the wrong facial expression, and when the director yells cut, she says in embarrassment, “It sounded like I was lying, right?”

In another scene between Jun Ji Hyun and Go Min Si, Jun Ji Hyun tries to leave the scene too early and Go Min Si stops her by frantically saying her line, “I can’t go yet, sunbaenim, I’m too scared!” Jun Ji Hyun also has fun wheeling herself in reverse in her wheelchair and keeps doing it even when it doesn’t fit the scene at hand. In a group scene, Sung Dong Il takes the photos he’s supposed to be using as props and starts shuffling it like it’s a deck of cards instead. Sung Dong Il ad-libs some lines during a rehearsal, which makes Jun Ji Hyun start laughing uncontrollably, but he strikes a serious face and gets right into character even as she keeps laughing silently behind him.

Before filming the scene in which the Mount Jiri rangers break up an illegal shamanistic ritual, Jun Ji Hyun warms up her voice in preparation to shout the words, “This is the king’s order!” She later has a cute conversation with the child actress in the scene, asking her how old she is.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1496726wpp/watch-jirisan-cast-make-each-other-and-the-crew-crack-up-with-improvised-lines-and-playing-with-props

• Like 3

I really loved episode 2. Just watched it in Viki. The direction was definitely better. The camera shots were longer and gave an immersive experience of the mountains. Loved it.

Much better than episode 1 in my opinion.

• Like 3

Jirisan: Episode 3

by solstices

jirisan3-00026.jpg

A missing person case forces our rookie ranger to confront his traumatic past. Something shady is afoot, and our rangers will need to have their wits about them in order to unravel the mystery of the suspicious incidents on the mountain. The line between friend and foe begins to blur — trusting the wrong person could very well lead to one’s demise.

EPISODE 3 RECAP

In 2020, Yi-kang searches for a file to fulfill a request from another ranger. While searching through Dae-jin’s drawers, she finds a bag of the same yellow ribbons that were found next to Yang Geun-tak’s remains.

Just then, she sees Dae-jin approaching the ranger station through the window, and she hurries to put the files back into the drawer. In her haste, she accidentally upends the files, sending them scattering across the floor.

Struggling to pick up the files in her wheelchair, Yi-kang is reaching towards one last file when Dae-jin walks in. He returns it to her as if nothing’s amiss, and the camera lingers on his glove.

Meanwhile on Jirisan, Da-won senses an ominous presence lurking near her. The leaves around her rustle, indicating she’s not alone, but the phantom silhouette hovers just out of view. Then Gu-young calls out to her, and the spell is broken; when Da-won turns around, the specter is gone.

Back at the ranger station, Da-won shows Yi-kang the photos she took of her twigs-and-rocks marker, as well as the automated sensor camera Yi-kang told her to install alongside it. When Yi-kang asks her if she saw anything suspicious, Da-won says she didn’t.

As a monk rings a temple bell, a hiker tells his pals that the ghost world opens up when that bell rings. It’s when all the ghosts on the mountain emerge. Another hiker chimes in: there’s a male ghost covered in blood that’s been wandering around Jirisan, and everyone who’s seen him has died.

We see the male ghost, and he’s wearing a ragged park ranger coat. It’s the same phantom that was watching Da-won. The specter treks up the mountain, and then a vision flashes past — a yakult bottle tumbling down a waterfall, and a man foaming at the mouth.

Unperturbed, the phantom continues on his way until he reaches the twig-and-rock marker that Yi-kang asked Da-won to set up. Upon seeing the marker, he pauses, and then — “Yi-kang sunbae.” Gasp, it is Hyun-jo! Ghost Hyun-jo adjusts the position of a stick, seemingly to indicate the location of the man he just saw.

Back in 2018, Yi-kang helps a scared hiker down a steep incline. When the hiker explains that she wanted to pray for her son, Yi-kang advises her to go to a church or temple instead; Jirisan is merely a mountain.

They head back down, and Yi-kang’s walkie-talkie beeps. There’s been a report of illegal shamanism at a prayer point on the restricted trail in Baektogol. Upon hearing that, Hyun-jo gets a flashback that dazes him for a while — it seems to be of him in his military days — but he soon shakes it off and follows after Yi-kang.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/11/jirisan-episode-3/

• Awesome 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Get ready for a suspenseful encounter on the next episode of “Jirisan”!

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a new mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the story that unfolds as the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents that occur on the mountain.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Jirisan,” the rangers began to suspect that what seemed to be a fatal accident involving a potato bomb had actually been intentional. As they searched for the terrorist who had placed the potato bomb at the scene of the crime, Kang Hyun Jo revealed that he’d had a vision of someone with a distinctive scar on his hand setting up the potato bomb. Later, Seo Yi Kang noticed that Lee Se Wook (played by Yoon Ji On) had the exact scar described by Kang Hyun Jo on the back of his hand.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Seo Yi Kang and Lee Se Wook share a tense moment after she recognizes his scar. Having grown to trust Kang Hyun Jo’s visions, Seo Yi Kang’s eyes are full of suspicion as she gazes warily at Lee Se Wook—but because Kang Hyun Jo’s visions are not evidence, she is unable to openly express that she considers him a suspect.

Meanwhile, Lee Se Wook looks back at Seo Yi Kang with an unreadable expression, piquing viewers’ curiosity as to what he might be thinking.

Jun-Ji-Hyun.jpeg

Yoon-Ji-On.jpeg

Spoiler

Jirisan.jpeg

Elsewhere on the mountain, the determined Kang Hyun Jo sets out to solve the mystery of the many strange incidents that have taken place on Mount Jiri. As the rookie ranger finds clues pointing him towards the truth, it remains to be seen how he will reconcile the new evidence he finds with his own supernatural visions.

Spoiler

Joo-Ji-Hoon.jpeg

The next episode of “Jirisan” will air on November 6 at 9 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497159wpp/jun-ji-hyun-faces-terror-suspect-yoon-ji-on-as-joo-ji-hoon-finds-clues-in-jirisan

• Like 2

Jun Ji Hyun, Joo Ji Hoon, And More Are In Full Panic Mode As They Try To Protect The Mountain In “Jirisan”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 6, 2021
by L. Kim

Get ready for some heart-pounding action in the upcoming episode of “Jirisan”!

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the story that unfolds as the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents that occur on the mountain.

Spoilers

On the previous episode of “Jirisan,” the rangers began to suspect that what seemed to be a fatal accident involving a potato bomb had actually been intentional. As they searched for the terrorist who had placed the potato bomb at the scene of the crime, Kang Hyun Jo revealed that he’d had a vision of someone with a distinctive scar on his hand setting up the potato bomb. Later, Seo Yi Kang noticed that Lee Se Wook (played by Yoon Ji On) had the exact scar described by Kang Hyun Jo on the back of his hand.

On November 6, the drama unveiled new photos of the four rangers: Seo Yi Kang, Kang Hyun Jo, Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se), and Park Il Hae (Jo Han Chul). They examine the screen with serious expressions, hinting that something dangerous is happening.

jirisan-1.jpg

One photo depicts Kang Hyun Jo’s expression stiffening after coming face to face with someone. Another still shows him running with desperation, piquing curiosity about what made him become so alarmed.

joo-ji-hoon-1.jpg

Spoiler

jo-ji-hoon-2.jpg

Furthermore, Jung Goo Young is spotted running across the mountain with a grave expression, and police officer Kim Woong Soon (Jeon Suk Ho) investigates a mysterious house, doubling the tension.

Spoiler

oh-jung-se-2.jpg

jirisan-2.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1497192wpp/jun-ji-hyun-joo-ji-hoon-and-more-are-in-full-panic-mode-as-they-try-to-protect-the-mountain-in-jirisan

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

@lilsakus Ep5 hits all the right notes for me as it brings me from suspense, to dread, relief and tears. I was at the edge of my seat throughout the desperate race against time to save the real intended victim, intercut with the killer's languidness as he waits for her to die, not knowing if this would be the moment KEH kills off one of her main cast. Then the swift disposal of the killer with no questions answered yet regarding the reason for the choice of victims, particularly his cousin, who wasn't an illegal hiker, but lured to die in the mountains. Not forgetting the almost blatant suspicions being thrown once again at Capt. Jo... which leaves me hesitating to trust my eyes, but cannot see any other possibility for now.

That being said, the last 3 mins hit me the hardest - KHJ's tears a testament to the desperate loneliness of his existence even as he continues to faithfully place the markers in hopes of saving yet one more life, even when it didn't seem as if anyone saw or understood it. And SYG's aching monologue hinting at words that may never be spoken if she never gets to see him again... bringing us to the glitches on the screen, and the dawning hope that perhaps, just perhaps, she finally could see him at last. The montage that followed is bittersweet, with scenes before and scenes to come... while knowing what would await them by the end of 2019. The soundtracks (Kim Jongwon's "Falling" and the snippet of Jin's "Yours") perfectly complement the entire scene... making my heart ache even more. And I am terribly afraid that for all of KEH's promise that this is a healing drama, she will still break my heart in the end.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, liddi said:

SYG's aching monologue hinting at words that may never be spoken if she never gets to see him again... bringing us to the glitches on the screen, and the dawning hope that perhaps, just perhaps, she finally could see him at last. The montage that followed is bittersweet, with scenes before and scenes to come... while knowing what would await them by the end of 2019. The soundtracks (Kim Jongwon's "Falling" and the snippet of Jin's "Yours") perfectly complement the entire scene... making my heart ache even more.

I know how it feels, this sequence of their moments together just hurt my shipper heart so much. 

This drama has a lot of interesting things, but to be really honest, Yi Gang and Hyun Jo relationship is definitely my favorite thing of everything!

I really hope Hyun Jo will be able to wake up in the future so they can meet in person again! 

• Like 3

Oh yes! I love ep5, and im curious what she wants to say to him! Can I hope for some lovey dovey feelings towards each other though I know that's not the main focus of this show :D

i cant wait for ep6 tonight :)

@backstreetboysfan I was also wondering what she saw in that split second! All these cliffhangers... And after tonight, gotta wait through 7 sleeps .. lol

• Like 4