[Upcoming Drama 2022~2024] Squid Game, 오징어 게임 - Lee Jung Jae- Season 2 premieres in the second half 2024

larus

20 minutes ago, agenth said:

Soooooooo finished the series.

Without spoilers: The whole cinematography, it was executed perfectly.

and the plot twist

Yes, and I am still in shock at the plot twists.

Spoiler

At least he kept his promises. I couldn't believe it, either, when he didn't board the plane. Maybe the whole experience made him jaded beyond belief.

I wonder if there will be season 2...

• Like 2

Randomly clicked on this and Gong Yoo popping up in ep 1 was a wonderful surprised. I had no ideas or know much about this drama before I started but as I watch ep 1; it is fantastic so far. 

Will be back - avoiding spoilers for now. Oh it’s super violent — even more so than other survival type of series. I will def need to watch something light and fluffy afterwards 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1

Squid Game: Episode 1 (Review)

by missvictrix

Squid_1.jpg

Netflix is showing no signs of slowing down in the Korean entertainment space, and their next offering is the 9-episode drama Squid Game. With pitch perfect production, a great cast, and an elaborate kill game for its plot, Squid Game makes for an edge-of-your-seat watch that’s as disturbing as you might expect.

Note: This is a first episode review only.

EPISODE 1 REVIEW

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Squid_4.jpg

Since the release of Squid Game so closely follows Netflix’s previous original, D.P, it’s an almost automatic reaction to want to compare the two. Of course, there’s very little to compare, and maybe it’s the contrast that says the most.

D.P. is bleak and realistic in its storytelling, and even in the way it handles violence. In contrast, Squid Game is also dark, and maybe even more dire, but because of its setting, it’s more stylized than realistic. For me, stylized violence will always be more disturbing — for some reason it’s easier for me to watch a brutal fist fight than it is to watch people in matching tracksuits get mowed down by a computerized machine gun. Everyone is different and has a different threshold, but I guess the point I’m making here is that Squid Game is a rather unsettling watch.

Before the games even start, we meet our hero SUNG KI-HOON (Lee Jung-jae), but calling him a hero at this point is a bit of a stretch. He’s basically a wreck of a person, and he’s destroyed his life with his gambling addiction. He lost his marriage, he rarely sees his young daughter, he’s millions of won in debt, and he even stoops so low as to steal money from his elderly mother to feed his gambling addiction.

It would be hard to sympathize with him if it weren’t for Lee Jung-jae’s fantastic performance. Ki-hoon is willing to do awful things, and to take extraordinary punishment, all for his addiction — but even in his lowest moments, there’s a humanity and a desperation there that allows us to feel for him.

Ki-hoon soon hits a new low point. His most recent winnings are stolen, he’s about to lose his daughter for good, and he signs a disclaimer of physical rights, which means if he can’t pay up, he’ll give a kidney and an eye to service his debt.

It’s when he’s at this point that a mysterious man in a suit (cameo by Gong Yoo) approaches him in the subway station. He lures Ki-hoon into playing a simple game of ddakji, where 100,000 won (~$100) is won or lost each round. If Ki-hoon wins he’ll get the 100,000 won; if he loses, since he has no money to pay, he’ll take a slap in the face. Shocking though it is, Ki-hoon agrees.

The two play countless rounds. Ki-hoon takes so many full-on slaps across his face that his cheek is bleeding by the end. This is the moment in the drama where we realize what the story is really exploring: how people surrender their humanity for their greed. Ki-hoon could have easily walked away and left with no money but his dignity intact. Instead, he leaves bloodied and battered, with a few hundred dollars in his pocket and a business card. He’s told to call the number if he wants to play more games for an even bigger prize.

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Squid_5.jpg

I linger on the setup here because it’s so telling, and such a great explanation of what we’ll find when Ki-hoon gets involved with the actual kill games that this story is about. He decides to call the number and participate in the games, but he (and all the others he’ll meet), clearly have no idea of the stakes involved in those games.

A creepy van picks Ki-hoon up in the middle of the night, and gases each person the second the door shuts behind them. When Ki-hoon wakes up he’s in a green tracksuit with #456 on his chest. He’s amongst 455 others who are just as desperate as he is — they’re in a gigantic room with jail-like beds stacked as far as the eye can see. This is the first moment where we (and Ki-hoon) realize that this whole “game” is going to be a lot more orchestrated and powerful than he might have thought.

As everyone wakes up in their creepy barracks, we meet some other characters who become important players later on. Interestingly, Ki-hoon already finds himself connected to many of them — one is the young woman who expertly pickpocketed him, and the other is JO SANG-WOO (Park Hae-soo).

Sang-woo is an SNU graduate, doctor, and the pride of the neighborhood he and Ki-hoon grew up in… but the fact that he is involved in the games means there was a lot to him that no one knew about (read: oppressive debt). Another character that looks like he will be important is the awful gangster JANG DEOK-SOO (Heo Sung-tae).

What’s important is that we immediately learn that each of these 456 people are in crippling debt, and that they all went through the same weird hazing that Ki-hoon did, with the ddakji game and hundreds of slaps to the face. On one hand it’s sobering to see such desperate people gathered together; on the other hand, it’s unsettling, since we have seen glimmers of what they’re capable of.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/09/squid-game-episode-1-review/

• Like 1

K-netizens Find Netflix Drama Squid Game Just Meh with Bad Acting and Non-fresh Story the Opposite I-netizens Who Love the Series

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/09/18/k-netizens-find-netflix-drama-squid-game-just-meh-with-bad-acting-and-non-fresh-story-the-opposite-of-i-viewers-who-love-the-series/

I watched just one episode. It is too early for me to say if it will be a good series or not. I know that the losers of the game will start dying but I was surprised how brutal it was. I had to pause a little. The people were dying and the mastermind (I guess) the one who was watching was enjoying with his whiskey on the rocks. All of I was thinking was how much more brutal the games will get. When I was watching the trailers and saw women and elders, I thought how they can compete because I thought the games requires a physical strength. I am glad it is not the case. I knew that the old man, competitor Nr 1 will finish the first game when I saw him so relaxed and enjoying the game. I am intrigued by this competitor. So far he is someone who doesn`t have major depts.  Why he is on this game? Because his illness, I get that he has nothing to lose but he also lack a 100% conscious decision.  I also wonder if there is a significance  that he is number 1 and Seong Gi-Hun is last , with 456 number. I also wonder if they made Seong Gi-Hun lose the money. I find a very big coincidence that the woman who stole his money is in the game and she came earlier (she is nr 63 if I remem,ber corectly). 

Seong Gi-Hun is not a bad man at heart but he is such a patethic loser. He has a gambling adiction. I know that he doesn`t have more money but why risk losing all those money and disappoint his daughter all over again? is not a bad man at heart but he is a pathetic loser. He has a problem with gambling like many people at the "Squid game". I know that he doesn`t have more money but why risk losing all those money and disappoint his daughter all over again? His daugher is adorable. She is more mature than her father. She did not show her disapopintment in front of her father, she was considerate and she did not want to give him the sad news that next year she won`t be in Korea to receive the promised gift, she realised that his father must have felt guilty that her step father gave her chicken and lied that the food her father gave is much better. She is such a good kid. I hope Gi Hun will grow up and take responsability as a father and a responsable man if he will survive the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yinye said:

I am half way and what bad acting lol?!? Everyone is performing their roles really well! 

who said there's bad acting?

i was impressed by cinematography and acting.

the plot has some holes/controversy, though, but mostly those things could be fixed/explained by another season. Still, despite that, I enjoyed the series. It was - strangely - a treat for the eyes. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yinye said:

I will def need to watch something light and fluffy afterwards

I did, for nearly all episodes. That's why it took me most of yesterday to finish watching the series. 

52 minutes ago, agenth said:

i was impressed by cinematography and acting.

the plot has some holes/controversy, though, but mostly those things could be fixed/explained by another season. Still, despite that, I enjoyed the series. It was - strangely - a treat for the eyes. 

I agree, and I quite liked how they used classical music, as if they are actually welcoming children to play. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I am near the end now on ep 8 and agree that the cinematography shines, acting strong, and the story was strong (minus some minor plot holes). It is a very heavy, grim, and violent exploration of humanity but I think they did it well, embedded in it are some counter balance that not everyone is….

(Updated! Finished!)

Spoiler

Truly evil…most people are just selfish; some who you least expected are the most evil ones. 

I find the messaging a good reminder and food for thought (especially since we currently live in a world that is ruled by greed —- in the middle of on-going pandemic and climate disasters…)

But I am going to watch Studio Ghibli films after this lol 

Giggling at the cameos in this show - I had no idea and after seeing them - I am like OH?!

Updated after the last episode: 

Last episode - aw man! I didn’t expect 001 to be THE mastermind but also I was thinking to myself why is this old man sooooo gleeful in episode 1. It made sense and the old man’s explanation of why he played among the candidates made sense. These rich psychos are numb, have no humanity left, and they treat in-debt ppl. as their race ‘horse.’

This ‘race horse’ analogy is sooo important because it also explains why Gh didn’t get on the plane! I think Gh finally changed as a person at the end when he gave up the game (too late!) and reallly came to regret everything (when he realizes his mom died). I think he finally understood HIS role that led him to the game but he also knows they were exploited as in-debt people that are desperate. Re his role and before his gambling his mom’s money away at the tracks, I think he finally realizes the damage to his family but again too late! Thus, he feels he needs to take action to make the change and prevent others from going into the game.

So in this sense, I feel full growth —the very very hard way for our main guy— and so I liked the ending!

If it was a happy ending where he just lived happily with the money, then the show didn’t stay true to the message and GH’s growth. His guilt and emotions after it all — is what makes him have humanity in comparison to the desperate candidates and rich pyschos that have lost all of their humanity; they didn’t have any feelings or sympathies for anyone etc. 

The message is relevant in our world today, when humanity, compassion, and empathy is not always easy to find - especially among the people in power and rich ppl. Or else we all be doing better re so many problems. If Gh, an ordinary person with humanity, compassion, and empathy can try to take action and change, the show is saying everyone can too!

I def think that our policeman is still alive -so maybe season 2 is him and Gh teaming up to take down the VIPs and the game system. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 4

I saw that this drama did very very well in getting lots of Netflix global viewers; season 2 looks like a possibility!! Yey!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/09/21/squid-game-soars-to-1-on-netflix-and-is-a-must-watch/?sh=3c1c4a646f40

Article from Forbes - credit to the respective owner.

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 2

@lila21 and @jongski   et al 

After watching 9 episodes in one breath, I feel that there are many simple metaphors in the drama, although some viewers claimed that the story is too violence, or unrealistic or it is a plagiarism work from the Japanese version, it still prompted me to digest slowly every game they played and brought out the actual meaning of each episode's title:

1. The game or society has its own rules, and there is nothing wrong with not following the rules of the game, but it is possible to not comply with the rules of the society. However, it will pay a heavy price in life.

2. The challenge of our own principles, morals and ethics especially when we are under the circumstances of struggling for survival with limited time given. What would you do?

3. The game designed in this drama series (although it is our childhood game) is a change in the form of you and me in the real world.  Each time, everyone is emphasizing that people do not represent numbers, people do not represent symbols, and people are real people, human flesh with blood and tears. They are not the moving toys for the rich.

4. The violence is not just for the sake of it, it brought up a key message that the class divide between the super rich and the poor, it is ridiculous and frightening. How these unfortunate lives of ordinary people failing in their lives become the material for the entertainment of the ultra rich. The VIP guests are invited to watch them killing each other for survival, while they are having fun to watch. In fact this type of constructed reality show began long ago, since the roman days (If you watched the "Gladiator" movie), it’s just that the survival game has evolved to many modern versions of the new era.

5. I personally like the most was the strategy adopted on one of the game set (tug-of-war), it shown that the old man was a wiser man although it seemed that they were the weaker team initially as compared to the opponents. Never underestimated the wiser old man. It fits the old saying the older the wine the better...

6. Forming an alliance is a better choice than playing alone or individual. The combine synergy is stronger than the individual efforts. The north korean lady is one of the good example.

7. Money is just a piece of paper, we love it so much when we know how to use it wisely. Conversely, we may lose out everything if all our loved ones have gone, even if we have all the money in the bank or on us.

The two A-star actors appeared as a camero was a surprise with their marvellous acting. 

Go back to your soul and face the last game, what will you do? One to one? Is killing to survive, or to sacrifice yourself?

What is your bottom line of this challenge? A very realistic topic for your thought provoking...

• Like 2

Watched 7 ep. and enjoying it so far. Only started this due to many good reviews. Lee Jung Jae look believable as the deadbeat dad who is in a desperate financial rut. 

I can't stand a lot of characters here, Min Nyeo with Deok Soo, Sang Woo, the cringeworthy & disgusting so-called vips, the masked staff - yup A LOT ha-ha! 

Am only rooting for Sae Byeok tbh. But apparently she doesn't make it which is too bad.. Find the gramps with brain tumor to be at the games to be illogical(?) like he could've enjoyed a peaceful end of his days with friends.. Does he even have any family? 

Other than that this was very violent & gory. Some scenes were really hard to stomach. The ugliness of human nature is brought out as greed & survival comes in. Ali was too naive he should've known better~

• Like 1

QUIZ: Would You Survive “Squid Game”?

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 25, 2021

“Squid Game” has been the most talked about K-drama these days! With the unique but grotesque script and killer cast, it is no wonder that the series has become so successful. Viewers seem to be fascinated by this world of games, greed, and money. Curious to see if you would be able to survive “Squid Game”? Take this quiz to find out!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1489927wpp/quiz-would-you-survive-squid-game

:w00t: I took the quiz and they say that I would won. I am not sure of that but what I am sure is that I will never participate in such a game. :D

Congratulations! You would win "Squid Game"!

You've got the intelligence, loyalty, and heart to make it to the end of “Squid Game”! Now how about another round?

EVENT Alert! What do you think should happen next? Calling all drama viewers who have an opinion on which direction a drama should be heading in. Here is your chance to play PDnim. Participate in this joint screenwriting game and lets see what kind of drama Soompi chingus come up with. Surely, it will be better than some of the duds we have been subjected to, right? :lol:

re: @partyon, @Lmangla, @Sleepy Owl, @confusedheart, @agenth