[Drama 2022] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective 2, 모범형사

0ly40

It is noteworthy that Chief Editor lied to his brother about assisting OJT. In the episode, there is a bit about his AG brother saying "leave the politics to me", suggesting that the Chief Editor also has his own motives that are separate from his brother's.

Also despite the romance scenes being very minor parts of this drama, they are remarkably well done. My dude OJH is smooth af.

• Like 4

I do not dig the vacillating character of the female reporter. Moreover, the role could have been played by another actress. I've seen this actress in the messy The Last Empress and she displayed the same countenance, despite being smirky all throughout that show. Now she's just showing the same emotionless expression. She's just another pretty face, flat acting.

Otherwise, this is a very good show that keeps you glued to your seat, knowing the culprits (as a viewer) and waiting for the cops to finally connect the dots.

• Like 2

@snowlou

i am sorry, i missed the poll..

from the last ep i watched, i still mad because Dae Chul has been excuted hahaa..

Yet, Oh Ji Hyuk vibes is still too strong and his uncle's son is really psycho.

Now they accuse him, i am getting my nerve :please:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Really enjoying this drama - I'm liking the plot driven and the character driven points, and whenever that happens I'm fully hooked.

Only six episodes left but so much more I want to see. Really want more character moments for the 3 leads.

Also as someone that actively avoids romances but likes some sprinkled around in shows, the light touch on that side is perfect for me as it's developing both characters in a sensible/realistic way and it isn't too overbearing. 

Basically this show is hitting a lot of points for me.

• Like 5

Poor LDC was sacrificed on the altar of these depraved people’s ambitions. I hope the whole lot of them end up in jail and at least two of them end up on death row. That is, if they didn’t already abolish executions. I knew it’s Detective Nam who murdered the good cop years ago. My hope is that he’ll end up six feet under before this show is over or at least rotting in prison for the rest of his life. 

I guess the biggest reveal is that the “ white tomb hiding dead men’s bones” Attorney General and brother of the similarly unconscionable editor set the whole thing up. Wow, these people are the lowest of the low to take an innocent man and send him to death row. What can I say except that I hope in the end justice is meted out to them double fold but then I remember it’s a Kdrama and I am almost certain that their punishment, if any, won’t be as satisfying as I would like in the end. 

About our reporter, I don’t know how to feel about her not at least revealing the recording to KDC and OHJ. I was appalled with her at first and perhaps I still am, but I liked the way the former prosecutor guy who was released from prison called her out on protecting her job over “genuinely” trying to help LDC. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

OJT is playing with both sides. with the ex prosecutor and the chief editor.  It is one big power battle. !!

who is the woman who is buried? she has the last name yoon so is she the sister of the editor? IS she somehow connected to everything?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, celebrianna said:

About our reporter, I don’t know how to feel about her not at least revealing the recording to KDC and OHJ. I was appalled with her at first and perhaps I still am, but I liked the way the former prosecutor guy who was released from prison called her out on protecting her job over “genuinely” trying to help LDC. 

yea I don't know how to feel about that.. but watch detective gave some great points -- first, whether or not the recording is genuine has to be ascertained before jumping to conclusions. a reporter should fact check before publishing. especially with technology, it is easy these days to create fake or manipulated recordings of just voice. also, if the recording is indeed true, then lee dae chul would have been killed one way or the other -- this was the reason that he needed to be sacrificed. so even if she handed it over, would they have been able to do anything? so given how logical watch detective is, perhaps he has a point that it would not have made any difference to the outcome. however, her actions don't necessarily sit right with me either...

the show is interesting because it is showing us that these good guys are not necessarily 100% good -- so they also sometimes get lost, put their own priorities first, get greedy or collude out of a variety of reasons. the difference between the good and the villains here is that the good guys feel guilt. thats what differentiates them and they are willing to accept they made a mistake and own up to them. like superintendent moon -- the young recruit may have had a tough time but even he was able to recognize that moon is not all bad. when his mother was sick in the hospital, moon visited personally and helped -- that is a big deal because this is a recruit. moon is not obligated to show up because it is not like he is currying favors. so the recruit is able to recognize moon has a good side as well and tells that to ajusshi detective. this makes ajusshi think of giving moon a chance. I really liked the scene in the house when moon comes over and asks ajusshi what he wants. lee dae chul is dead and so what is the point here? and ajusshi beautifully says that yes he is dead but shouldn't we at least let his soul rest in peace? and then he calls eun hye. so moon realizes that this is far personal for ajusshi. moon for all his faults not only owned up to his mistakes but gave eun hye a sincere apology -- she needs some of these kind of actions to move on and to know that she and her father wasn't invisible. to feel the burden of unfairness fade a little each day.

we also see this kind of complexity with ajussi's sister. she was a gold medalist in judo. she seems like she can take care of herself but yet she seems to smooching off her brother in a way, getting drunk and blaming him at times for her troubles. yet, when she realizes how beaten and heart broken he is, she invites his colleagues to cheer him up. she even reaches out to eun hye by herself and invites the girl to their home. she offers to mother her and offer her emotional support. she also gets something of it in the sense that she gets to stop focusing on her divorce and loss of custody and move on to being productive and helping those around her including her brother and eun hye. in the previous episodes, the sister was like a pendulum -- she swung from being funny to coming across like an alcoholic.

so it feels like the show is telling us humans are complex and ultimately, it is our ties to each other that makes a difference to how we react. we need each other to keep ourselves on the good and not get lost.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@Lmangla, those are very good points. Nicely explained as well. I guess ultimately it depends on a person’s moral compass. I could never do anything that allows a man’s death even if it meant sacrificing my career. It’s probably because I strongly believe in my sin (Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin) against the person visiting me again in a worse way. I wouldn’t call it “karma” since that’s from another belief system but basically it works like that. When I see the people who set LDC up, it’s amazing that they have no conscience in the matter. They just coldly treat him as if he’s not a human being. 

In the case of the reporter and whether the recording would have been helpful, despite what OJH said, it should still bother her. I think it would be easier to accept if she had at least shared the recording with OJH, KDC and the lawyer. If in their expert opinion it couldn’t be used in the trial, then she wouldn’t have a crisis of conscience now. Also, she could have shared her misgivings with them and asked their opinion if the recording would further imperil LDC. The fact is, she didn’t even share this information at all so no matter what OJH said to make her feel better, the truth is she was protecting herself. I only dislike her choice though. I still like her. 

This show is good at raising moral questions. Its kind of funny that for me it seems Ike the dead cop, the husband of the lady who sold the watch, was the Good Detective by all accounts. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Monday's ep. raw

Wow. OMG. I'll make it short. It starts ew kinda gory. And it almost ends the same way. Psycho indeed. The girl the editor is agonizing about is his noona. That's what I thought I heard him call her. Not an ep  to miss.

SPOILER VIDEO

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1

It's been almost 10 hrs since my last post  and since no other person has posted so far, I'll just keep going.

The things detectives will do just to catch a crook(murderer). Did the one detective actually perform minor surgery on another detective. Maybe that's part of their training. Taking slugs out.(bullets). I think he just made an incision. He really didn't take his appendix out.

There was a stake out on both Oh Jong tae and Jo Sung dae. Sung dae was all over the news  as a wanted man so he needed to get away. Oh Jong tae is there to the rescue. He has a man pick up Sung dae. They all meet at a railroad freight yard. Sung dae is given a bag of loot and is told to hide in a freight cart. The trap. He's locked in and a bunch of goons pop out of nowhere and start to smash him to pieces. Cops who were tailing them, come to his rescue. Oh Ji hyuk is gloating. He knows his cousin is close by. Calls him, waving his phone around for his cousin to see. "I got ya, I got ya." (this is what I imagine he is saying).

We see a meeting at the Ministry of Justice. On one side sits a row of police in their uniforms; and on the other side sits a row of men in suits, the prosecutors. It appears they don't like each other. They accuse each other of being thrown under the bus. Kim Ki tae the prosecutor that was in prison is there. And hiding in the shadows, we see the editor.  We soon start to see that the prosecutor is suspicious of the editor.

The editor wants to go into politics but his brother tells him to stay with the press. Maybe there a reason for the editor taking this route. In the flashback he lost his sister 25-30 yrs ago, having to do with the police department.

And here comes the detective with an attitude, Oh Ji hyuk. He shows up at the editors office , saying I know you are buddy buddy with Oh Jong tae my cousin.

The prosecutor from prison gets together with Oh Jong tae. They start to scheme on how to set a bait for the editor.

The editor who wants to go into politics, makes a deal with the devil. They both drink shots of whiskey(?) to seal their partnership.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

If everyone does what they should do, then we don't have a crime drama do we?

I like the writers' decision to have the reporter withhold that recording. Is it the right thing to do? I don't think so. But it's realistic and it adds complexity. She wasn't just trying to save her career -- many other innocent people's careers are on the line.

It's like that famous train dilemma: damned if you do, damned if you don't. We all have different moral compasses that tell us which decision should be the more moral one, but it is a grave and disheartening decision regardless of choice. And in this moment of internal conflict and weakness, she was manipulated by a mentor whom she had trusted, for his own nefarious purposes. I personally think it's great writing.

And look at how Detective Oh cheered her up. He didn't tell her whether her decision was the right one. He didn't accuse her of doing the wrong thing either. Honestly she probably wouldn't have had her doubts cleared up regardless. Instead, he told her that it wasn't a meaningful decision anyway, that she only had an illusion of a choice since the outcome wouldn't be affected. He finished by saying that the recording indicated a much larger corruption scheme and they still had work to do. This is probably the best way to comfort someone having so much self doubt. I think that's again very smart writing.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I really enjoy this drama.  I have been watching it as I work.  I really hope we have a good ending, although there will remain some questions and, of course, bad people.  But I hope my ship sails into the stratosphere!

The writers have done a pretty good job!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi everyone!

I wanted to say hello and slowly watching the earlier episodes to get up to speed.

I had watched 20 minutes of the first episode when it came out. Then got distracted.

Since MON-TUES were slow I decided to revisit this drama and I am up to ep 9.

Really enjoying the acting and characters in this drama. Can I say Oh Jung Se (the actor) is AMAZING?! Just saw him finish Moon Sang Tae (Its Ok to Not Be Ok) but to see him here as the very menacing Oh Jung Tae.  Wow! Def deserves a dasaeng!

Love the rapport between our bromance leads Do Chang and Ji Hyuk  and I was sad to see Jo Sae Yun (as Lee Dae Chul) he is a great actor too and seeing him recently in a variety show (out last year) he is such a lovely man.  I was tearing up when he was walking to get executed. OMG. 

Ji Hyuk falling asleep after having a drink, LOL. Omg poor Seo Kyung dealing with him in the Ambulance thinking he was seriously dead or allergy to only find out he was in a deep sleep. LOL.

I like that actor Son Hyun Joo is able to be a lead in this drama and Jang Seung Jo (being able to use his acting chops for better use than second lead male who doesn't get the gal). I need a break from the ROM COMS I usually like but giving me a headache. Not going to lie miss "My Unfamiliar Family" but the writing in this drama (very different genre I know) is good. 

Nothing is what is seems and I like how Do Chang sis is befriending  Lee Dae Chul's daughter and that breakthrough chat at the playground. She opened her heart and went beyond her prejudice of her being a murderer's child (falsely accused and executed). Dang that made me frustrated.

I cannot wait to watch the other episodes to catch up. But I saw reading some pages of the forum some familiar friends here. But also , there are not many fans here. Makes me sad, this is a great drama. 

• Like 5

finally caught up! good that eun hye is thinking of the future like art school but why are all these corrupt cops torturing her? the audit office seems to be such a bunch of morons. glad that chief moon got all protocol on them. so it is looking like the editor had something to do with detective jang's death. and how does it tie in to the sister he lost? or is it all political game as he wants to run as a candidate? what do chingus think?

@tulip06 ~ it was cute how watch ajusshi admitted he has a crush on her; like that it was casually mentioned but then both have real jobs and so no time to super flirt. liking the romantic vibe and pace. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@Lmangla I'm thinking all these bad things that could have happened to editor's sister but the most plausible is she got raped by someone(even someone who works with the police) and the perp got away.

I´m also thinking after seeing this weeks episodes that editor had something to with the detective murder or atleast he knows who did it.

what is with these corrupt people. trying to blame innocent people with the crimes they did.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 10:13 AM, Nodame said:

Really enjoying the acting and characters in this drama. Can I say Oh Jung Se (the actor) is AMAZING?! Just saw him finish Moon Sang Tae (Its Ok to Not Be Ok) but to see him here as the very menacing Oh Jung Tae.  Wow! Def deserves a dasaeng!

You should check him out in "When Camellia Blooms." I think he won the Baeksang award for that one. He's been in 6 dramas in about two years (I've watched 4, including "Stove League"). I love how he plays someone very different in each drama, and is so good in all of them. A true actor.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Re-watch party: Season 1 (sageuks)

All chingus, come and join us for a special sageuk re-watch party event!

We have chosen three sageuks:

1) Faith (with Lee Min Ho)

2) Empress Ki (with Ji Chang Wook)

3) The Moon Embracing the Sun (with Kim Soo Hyun)

All three dramas were big hits back in the day, some even achieving over 40% viewership ratings!

You can join one of the re-watch parties or all of them! It doesn't matter if you have already seen the drama or it's your first time. Everyone is welcome to join!

:piggydance:

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon & @Lmangla

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

@chickfactor Waves hello! Great to see you here!

OMG I did not see that drama with Kang Ha Neul. I wanted to at that time but didn't. I like the actors in it too. Ok now i will have to find the time to see it. Hmm it helps now I have NETFLIX access to watch it.  Love my dongseng for it! I appreciate the hot tip.

@joccu @Lmangla OMG that seems so plausible about the editor's sister ergo her taking her life from the shame. Dang. Everyone has there trauma or sad stories. But at that young age to find your dead nuna hanging there is traumatic.

I liked seeing SK and JH hanging out for ramen. JH asking for alcohol again. LOL her threatening him she would abandon him. So when he DOWNED that can of beer and luckily knocked out cold before leaving. Just happy he was not INJURED in that cramped entry way. These two are cute.

Glad that LDC daughter asked for art supplies and that DC used his boss money to treat her with it. Awww she is feeling there is some hope in her life. But dang the Editor having the AUDIT time who were vultures to harrase his daughter like that---so inappropriate. I was happy to see Det DC boss ream them in for lack of protocol and notification to him. 

Looking forward to the latest episode. 

JTBC clips from today's episode 13 OMO 

Spoiler

=================

OOH MV made about our couple by JTBC and their interactions CUTE

preview ep 14 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

This is undeniably an excellent show and it deserves a much bigger audience. It's true that the good guys take a few nasty hits past the halfway  mark  with the expected missteps but they've managed to bounce back with battle scars to show for it. Rather than a large scale conspiracy as I had earlier suspected, what the persistent digging is now pointing to is an intersection of multiple agendas with various connections that have been playing out for five years. It's indeed a tangled web. What I'm seeing with alarming regularity is the number of individuals who have flouted the law but are unwilling to 'fess up to them. What makes me rather angry is that Lee Dae-chul, an innocent man became the proverbial sacrificial lamb so that others who were actually culpable for something 5 years ago could go scot free. Thankfully the wheels of justice continue to move albeit slowly because there are men and women who still believe in real justice. 

Well, thank goodness for the doggedness of Do-chang and Ji-hyuk that the uncovering of skeletons... both literal and metaphorical... can now be achieved. Of course they are ably supported by their team, which is working much more cohesively these days.

The banter between Do-chang and Ji-hyuk could possibly be my most favourite thing in the drama. I am especially partial to the backhanded compliments, sympathy and the wry humour. There's so much affection and respect between the men belying the barbed personal comments and the jibes. The male camaraderie is so well-written here, very true to life. At least in my experience. I had feeling the writer was a man and indeed my research has yielded that fact. He's done a stellar job with the relationships among the characters from the bottom to the top.

• Like 4
  • Love 2