[Drama 2022] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective 2, 모범형사

0ly40

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/29/the-good-detective-breaks-its-own-all-time-viewership-with-shocking-development/
‘The Good Detective’ Breaks Its Own All-Time Viewership with Shocking Development

by krishkim

56984EDB-84DB-4787-A28E-5ABA6DF38047.jpg
Credit: JTBC

The Good Detective reset its own highest viewership.

According to Nielsen Korea, the 8th episode of JTBC’s The Good Detective, which aired on July 28, recorded 5.148 percent viewership nationwide.

This is higher than the previous record held by the drama (4.821 percent) and the number one record among al Monday Tuesday dramas. In the latest episode, Lee Dae Chul (Jo Jae Yoon) was eventually sentenced to death, shocking the viewers.

Meanwhile, the 8th episode of KBS2’s To All The Guys Who Loved Me recorded 2.4 percent and 3.8 percent viewership.

Source (1)

• Like 5

Spoiler

I can't believe they pulled the trigger. This is definitely unexpected but it is realistic in the sense that the bad guys won. They may be brought to justice later, but this injustice cannot be undone. This alone differentiates this drama above its peers.

I'm still wondering what OST's endgame is. What does he want? TBH I don't think the murder meant a lot to him. It's probably a crime of passion (as evidenced by his intoxication that night). He might not even be lying when he said he felt sad after she died. But what is his endgame? I'm very intrigued by the his complex relationship with the Attorney General. Also it is still unclear what former Prosecutor Kim is motivated by. Even the thug doesn't seem as simple as a enforcer lackey. He might have his own agenda as well.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

same here @joccu; I didn't think lee dae chul would get killed off so easily.. but now, we get to the question of whether it is still worth pursuing justice and trying to find out the truth. in another kdrama, one of the characters said that the pursuit of justice is so that the living can live. so in that sense, yes, both watch detective and ajusshi detective need to pursue this to the end and see what happens...

the court room scene was so sad -- dae chul got totally played. wonder who told him that if he admitted to killing the detective, then he would be set free. it was almost like the conspiracy team had to make dae chul also play a role in his own death. rather than the death of ji soon, it looks like this whole conspiracy was cooked up to really cover up the death of the detective jang. there lies the actual mystery. and does detective nam actually like the widow? or was she also being used by him? the way he hissed on why he would date a woman with a child, it seemed like he despised her. or was he just guilt ridden because of what he had done? their relationship dynamic is so strange...  but the character I want to slap the most remains yoon sang mi -- at least the other baddies don't pretend to be good. this one acts so self-righteous when she is not!

• Love 2
  • Insightful 2

I am watching and loving this drama for me it's very timely with what's occurring in the BLM movement (Black Lives Matter) and issues of police brutality. corruption, etc. The drama makes my blood boil because as a black person in America (and many other minority races can attest to this) this drama hits so hard because the corruption, the police inept, the ability for them to be brought, the cover up, the lies, dismissing evidence, planting evidence, etc happens in real life. I know a ton of similar cases in the US where someone is serving a life sentence or is on death row for crimes they didn't commit simply because of racism, classism, and police/social systematic corruption. 

I have to say of all the hateful characters (and there are plenty to hate) Detective Do-Chang is the one I loath the most. He is just as complicit in the death of an innocent man as all the others imho. He's an officer of law. His job is to investigate, to question witness, find evidence, etc..and he didn't do his job! HE DIDN'T DO HIS JOB!!! And an innocent man died because of it. Dae-chul's daughter's life is/had been forever altered because of it. Detective Do-chang didn't do his job!!! I truly hope he as well as all officers are trialed and convicted for their part in the man's death. I hope he (as well as all those involved) are stripped of their titles and never allowed to practice or be involved in the law ever again. He willingly didn't do his job and an innocent life was the price.

I strongly believe he knew about the knife evidence. His gut told him, this lost evidence that had been miraculously found, is not longer admissible because it had been lost and who knows what happened in the time that it had been, but he choose to look the other way due to greed to wanting power and status and eventually move up in the police system. I've been taught that you don't have to pull the trigger to kill a person. That ones words and actions (or lack of) can cause death/harm. That is exactly what detective Do-chang did all those years ago. He's exactly what I mean when I say it's not "just a few bad apples" in the police system, but all of them, all of it (and it's obviously not just police system, but the courts as well and a larger systematic problem). Because there are always the complicit officers who look the other way, pretend not to see, they cover up, they refuse to investigate, they remain silent....they are complicit! They may not have pulled the trigger, done the choke or knee, etc; but their actions make them complicit. 

I mean good on detective Do-chang for trying to right his wrongs now. But I can't forget that detective Ji-hyuk had to drag him there (remember he was going to let it all go because he's up for promotion) and all of this could have been avoided HAD HE DONE HIS JOB 5 YEARS AGO!!!

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

That courtroom scene made me want to cry.  As @Lmangla said, Lee Daechul totally got played, and I wondered if his lawyer did not warn him never to talk to the other side without representation?! And to get from him all possible plea deals they might have made with him? That seems kind of basic in this situation.

OMG, they really executed him? I seriously did cry at that walk down the long hallway.

• Like 6

Omg the end of yesterday episode was heartbreaking. I didn't expect this! I thought Reporter Jin's voice recorder would be useful. I thought they'd keep fighting to find justice.

When Lee Dae Chul told Det Kang to walk his daughter down the aisle, I cried. It was so sad. It's so unfair. I suddenly remember miracle in cell number. So sad.

Everything has been schemed. How could they keep prosecution. I bet Eun Hye will blame herself. After Det Nam, now I also hate Yoon Sang Mi. This kind of drama really reminds us how corrupt the constitution is. 

So, now.. I wonder what will happen next? How can they solve the case? Is there any connection between Yoo Jung Seok and Oh Ji Hyeok? And more about Oh Ji Hyeok's father? Maybe Jong Sang Il will has more role? I think there's a new character on the preview.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

On 7/29/2020 at 5:07 AM, Lmangla said:

how is he doing two dramas at same time? is one or both of the dramas pre-produced? not live shoot?

How on earth did I not realise that was the same actor - it's so obvious now that I've seen it mentioned itt

Also really enjoying this show, curious what the second half will build on. 

Most annoying character for me so far is definitely the lady that lost the evidence for an hour in the first place and went on the stand at the end. Can't satnd characters like hers.

Also, I really wish we get more development/background on the young ML in the second half of the drama. Feel like his background could lead to some great character driven scenes. The mystery itself was never that interesting but I guess the show was never really about that.

• Like 4

Stay on topic? lol you mean corruption, discrimination, injustice? Bad cops making the good cops look bad? ...Or...all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Which topic doesn't apply to real life? So I know what I talk about. Thanks.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, anony12345 said:

How on earth did I not realise that was the same actor - it's so obvious now that I've seen it mentioned itt

I was really surprised, too, when I was looking at the cast lists and suddenly realized it was the same guy in both roles.  The actor's talent is stunning.

30 minutes ago, GingerK said:

Stay on topic? lol you mean corruption, discrimination, injustice? Bad cops making the good cops look bad? ...Or...all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Which topic doesn't apply to real life? So I know what I talk about. Thanks.

I think that the point is for us to discuss the drama and what goes on within it.  ;) 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I actually agree with the original posters comment. It's a cop show...about injustice, corruption and lack of accountability. It happens in real life. On film. All around the world. Let's be clear. BLACK LIVES MATTER, t...hose three words, have no power to oppress, kill or determine ones worth. It is not a political issue that some people want to claim because they want to avoid an uncomfortable conversation for their own reasons. It is a Global issue. It is a human rights issue. Hurting someone because you don't like the way they look is the oppressors weak mindedness. It needs to stop. This is not a supernatural fantasy show. This happens in the real world. Everywhere!  Which of course makes it easier to theorize on what could happen.  Personally I did not expect LDC to die even though it was truly completely realistic. It was heartbreaking. Just as anyone losing their life to injustice is for any reason. - And yes, BLACK LIVES MATTER TOO, if it makes you more comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

do folks think we will have a romance, no romance or something just subtle? watch detective and reporter are spending lots of time together. there is even little teasing and good vibes. they are sort of allies but not... it will be interesting to see what happens no?

and will eun hye now live with ajusshi detective? I still can't decide if the sister is funny or annoying or both! hahahha.. she still seems like a bit of alcoholic but she apparently can take of herself -- was those medals for tae kwon do? and does anyone else wonder if ajusshi and that yang mi character had some sort of falling out over a romantic feel perhaps? am not able to understand their dynamic....

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

https://zapzee.net/2020/08/02/review-the-good-detective-investigation-drama-that-focuses-on-the-characters/
[Review] ‘The Good Detective,’ Investigation Drama that Focuses on the Characters

by krishkim | Edited by Hong Hyun Jung | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

Attractive characters can make the obvious investigation dramas quite appealing. The Good Detective takes a step away from the usual investigation dramas, which highlight the brutality of the case and depict the confrontation between the murderer and the detective, and captivates the viewers by drawing two contrasting detectives teaming up to pursue a hidden truth.

19D1240A-ACAA-4108-B0E1-EA7279C29614.jpg

At first glance, the setting of a veteran detective partnering with an elite detective to track down the truth of a murder case five years ago seems no different from already existing investigation dramas. They will have a hard time coming to an agreement, the truth of the case will most likely fall into a deeper mystery, and they will definitely hit the rocks along the way. I was already drawing familiar pictures in my head before I started the drama.

But it might have been a hasty generalization. The two detectives, Kang Do Chang (Son Hyun Joo) and Oh Ji Hyuk (Jang Seung Jo), are different what I expected. Kang Do Chang, who has been a detective for 18 years, feels burdened by Oh Ji Hyuk, a graduate from Korean National Police University who joined his team as his partner ahead of the promotional review. It’s quite obvious to him that Oh Ji Hyuk will return to the regional investigation unit after staying in the violent crime unit for a short while, so he is worried that it will affect his promotion. The sorrow of being an “office worker,” though he might be a detective, is clearly embedded in Kang Do Chang’s character.

On the other hand, Oh Ji Hyuk, who makes others strangely uncomfortable, is always calm. He is a bad mixer, but he has no clear downside. It’s clear that he has a dark history, but he doesn’t look gloomy. He doesn’t care about what others think about him, nor does he flaunts his background but is only interested in his duties as a detective. Unlike conventional detectives who rush recklessly into the case, he quietly walks his own way and is second to none.

E85714BD-F3AD-4778-9B7E-1D3D8A788992.jpg

The drama calmly presents the combination play of Kang Do Chang, who always sticks to the reality, and Oh Ji Hyun, who draws attention with his unexpectedness, and sails towards the truth that was concealed five years ago. The two recover new circumstances in the “Lee Dae Chul case” that Kang Do Chang was in charge of five years ago. They now have realized that Lee Dae Chul, who has been on death row for murdering a college student and a detective in charge, may not be the real murderer.

The murder mystery becomes all the more impressive as Kang Do Chang, who only cared about his own safety rather than his belief for realistic reasons, decide to follow his conscience and correct his mistake. With the police chief and fellow detectives overtly trying to cover up the case, a new suspect who is likely to be the real murderer emerges. It is belatedly revealed that Oh Jong Tae (Oh Jung Se), Oh Ji Hyuk’s cousin and an arrogant man of property, had some kind of relationship with the victim.

5887D8AB-D0C0-4BB1-8E1E-54ECF85C7D50.jpg

If the early part depicts the process of Kang Do Chang and Oh Ji Hyuk working together, from the second half, the drama starts to show the confrontation against the force trying to cover up the incident. The story itself is not new, but the complementary relationship between the two figures at the center raises expectations for future developments. Just like Sherlock and Watson, they push each other forward by filling in what they lack. If Oh Ji Hyuk penetrates the case with his brilliant theories and keen observations, Kang Do Chang firmly supports him with his experiences and “human touch.”

The fact that the partnership between the two detectives is solidified through relationships with people around them also increases the level of immersion. Lee Dae Chul’s daughter, Lee Sun Hye, awakens Kang Do Chang by showing how the wrong investigation can destroy the lives of a person and his family, while the rest of the detectives in the unit, who were always satisfied with “finishing moderately,” add strength to Kang Do Chang. Jin Seo Kyung (Lee Elijah), who first approached the truth of the case as a reporter, decides to work with the two detectives and dig out the truth.

The actors’ excellent performances are also a factor that lets the viewers get immersed with The Good Detective. In particular, Son Hyun Joo and Jang Seung Jo’s “relaxed” acting make the characters come alive. Son Hyun Joo tastefully portrays an “ordinary” detective, while Jang Seung Jo creates a sense of reality by flexibly expressing the character who can seem a bit unrealistic. The “tit for tat” chemistry between the two is also eye-catching.

Jin Seo Kyung’s role is not as significant as expected, and in the fourth episode, her character seems to have collapsed, but so far, her strengths are highlighted more than her shortcomings. The drama naturally gives momentum to its development by detailedly building up various sides of every character with Kang Do Chang and Oh Ji Hyuk at the center. I hope that this joy will last till the very end.

Verdict: Well-made investigation drama that stresses the power of the story (8/10)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm six episodes in. Because this mystery is really good,  I can't read the comments in case they contain spoilers. Very generally, the characters are well developed and so far, the plot, while very complicated, makes sense and the acting and writing are top notch. 

• Like 4

So I cried so much during today's ep. even without subtitles. Hope I got it all out by the time it's updated with subs.  Just thinking about LDC & the cops who screwed him over sends me ricocheting between rage & deep sadness. Ugh!

• Like 4

Still watching 9 but but popping in to say Sister is starting to please me some. ( @Lmangla Those medals are for judo or aikido or some other throwing sport.)

Spoiler

I like how she is being nice Lee Eun Hye and asking her to live with them again. She had an epiphany when she saw her son alone and without friends because her ghastly ex got a restraining order against her.

• Like 7

The lead actor playing Kang Do-Chang is soooo good. He really elevates this show.

I love that Jang Seung-Jo isn't playing some romantic second lead again. He's very good at that, but I love this change of pace.

Oh Jung-Se better win a bunch of awards at the end of the year.

I do think it is weird that his character's name in "Camellia" was Gyu-TAE, his character in "Psycho But Okay" is Sang-TAE, and his character here is Jong-TAE. So weird! (I pay attention to names, one of my quirks.)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

looking at the preview:  Team 1 -  Are they stupid or are they doing a sting operation to round up all the bad guys?  If it's the first, I'm beside myself.

I was wrong. It was a good ep.  Now, we have to figure out the mystery behind the editor. 

• Like 3