[Drama 2022] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective 2, 모범형사

0ly40

I have a small question about today's episode for someone who knows classical music:  when the lady reporter was having coffee with Park Gun-ho, what was the music playing in the background when the scene opened?  

I think I know what the music was but I can't be sure.  If I'm right, it would be an interesting comment/clue on the character of PGH, especially given what we learned about him in this episode. 

A little help please?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, thistle said:

I have a small question about today's episode for someone who knows classical music:  when the lady reporter was having coffee with Park Gun-ho, what was the music playing in the background when the scene opened?  

I think I know what the music was but I can't be sure.  If I'm right, it would be an interesting comment/clue on the character of PGH, especially given what we learned about him in this episode. 

A little help please?

I watched the whole ep on mute. Just read the captions. I don't know classical music but I'll give it my best shot.  It's Debussey -  Clair de Lune   

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, brooksmom said:

It's Debussey -  Clair de Lune   

You are right.  Clair de Lune it is indeed.  I'm not good at recognizing tunes (not even popular songs) so I had it wrong. 

Still, it would have been cool if it had been my guess because.....

Spoiler

it kinda seemed like PGH sold his soul to evil like Paganini did.

So we can ignore my odd thought.  

I have the most dreadful habit of hunting for clues that don't exist.  :P

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

This is very disorienting... we're going from light to dark and then from dark to light. :lol: I personally prefer the darker tone. The blue in the sidebar is probably my favourite so far. ;)

Yes, it seems that Park Gun-ho is a Bible quoting former prison guard. ;) I can't say I really approve of him taking matter into his own hands by meting out his brand of divine justice in prison. But there's no doubt he knows his Bible. And to his credit, he realised his wrongdoing and used his own life to pay the price of providing a lead for "good guys". 

There are three instances when the term "brood of vipers" are used in the gospels. The first is an invective by John the Baptist against the religious leaders of the day for their insincerity... or hypocrisy. They thought they were safe because of their religious veneer. Outwardly they did and said all the right things but inwardly they were as corrupt as anyone else. 

The second and third are used by Jesus also in relation to the religious leader who were hiding behind their religious credentials when their hearts were evil. If memory serves, it's the third instance that was quoted in the show last week.

I imagine that Park Gun-ho was simply condemning the law and order system for its framing of Lee Dae-chul for murders he didn't commit while pretending that justice was actually served on that occasion. The police were complicit in a massive and ugly cover-up while playing lip service to upholding justice. He certainly wasn't wrong about the hypocrisy as exemplified by the chief of police and Team Leader Nam of Division 1.

This week's verses that he quoted to Reporter Jin were from Hebrews 11. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Although it was pulled out of its context, I believe he meant to challenge her to take the first step in trusting him because... on some level she has no choice if she's going to pursue this and on some level since he's gone as far as he has, he will deliver on his end.

Episode 3 was rather good, in my view. The show is finding its feet and I'm liking the fact that though there is corruption in the force, the organization as a whole isn't a lost cause. It seems more to be a case of good cops vs bad cops. I am heartened by the fact that Violent Crimes Team 2 are comprised of cops who actually have conscience or care about the truth. Sometimes I get a bit depressed by Kdrama crime shows when only one or two people care about justice and the rest are corrupt or cowardly. But here, we actually have a whole team of decent men. They mightn't be super sleuths but they have consciences. Looking the other way makes them extremely uncomfortable which is how it should be. What's also really unique is that they passively challenge their leadership as seen in the BBQ sequence. The reward and praise are hollow because it's unfinished business with the implication of something fishy in the offing. It's not that they know how deep the chief's sins go but they know enough to sense the game of political football being played. Even the newbie is not afraid to articulate the problematic nature of what they're being asked to do. It's not what he signed up to do.

The OHJ and KDC partnership is turning out to be a meeting of minds. The two men find themselves to be on the same side at last. Both give the impression of disinterest while doing investigations on the side. No doubt OHJ doesn't need to be there... if financial security is a priority but he's obviously driven other concerns. And frankly, he's darn good at the job. He could be doing other things because he definitely has the brains but he chose policing for deeply personal reasons.

He's a curious figure. His exchanges with Reporter Jin are telling. She seems to take the emotional route while he is conscientious about maintaining objectivity throughout the investigative process. He actively refuses to be manipulated by her. When she retorts angrily that he's blaming her for Park Gun-ho's death, he insists that the only person to blame for PGH's death is the killer. No one else is to blame. In fact, he also implies that catching the real killer is his only interest. He questions her motives because he can't be certain that they have the same goals. She's in search of a scoop but he's in search of a killer. Those aren't ultimately the same goals. She will do what she needs to service her goals but that doesn't mean their interests always intersect. Ultimately it could cause more harm than good. especially if they are competing for information.

He's not wrong but they will have to work together eventually because this case is much much bigger than the three of them. Their ambitions, their ideals and egos don't mean a whole lot when what's happened so far portends a trail of bloodshed.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

OJH didn't buy the watch by accident. Very intresting!! We saw climps off OJH family. And it looks like his father was murdered or at least he is dead. OJT is really intresting character. bad guy with the power and money. And it´s like he´s been that way a long time.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad in ep 3 we finally saw KDC decided to choose that of the right path instead of succumbing to pressure in order to gain promotion. I wonder what made him caved in to that desire of getting promoted. He did indicate that his other friends were already of higher ranks than him but was it really the only reason? I mean after all, he seemed to be the righteous type of policeman all these while (hence he was adored by the newbie police and also didn't achieve high ranks as his friends), so it couldn't be suddenly he changed to be someone who could be silenced just because of the phone call from his friend? Unless LDC's case probably was the start of it all, the start of his yielding to being silenced - bit by bit and that made him to be what he was at this point of time? 

KDC's wittiness was also shown in this ep, how he was able to deduce who might kill PGH and what happened to him and the circumstances he was in when he made the call and decided to send the picture first. However, for me personally, at this point of time, I'm still unable to see something only KDC could do and OJH couldn't. In comparison, in the first 2 eps, there were some instances where OJH outsmart PGH in a way that KDC couldn't. So I hope they'll show more of KDC expertise in the future eps. 

As what @40somethingahjumma felt, I also am very glad to have the whole crime unit 2 members to be decent detectives. I had an impression that some of them might not be from the first 2 eps because of the way some of them behaved and also because they quickly decided they didnt' like OJH (they didn't even know him beforehand). So why was OJH hated in the first place again? 

My guess is that this Oh Byung Gil might have something to do with whatever it is that's going on with LDC's case? His name kept being mentioned and also they deliberately showed that OBG had a row with a bunch of prison guards in the first two eps. 

There must also be something more happened between PGH and LDC. If it were merely about LDC covering PGH's intention to kill him, I supposed he wouldn't go as far as sacrificing his life only to find the real killer. 

@Lmangla What's your fav funny scenes this ep? Mine would be the drunk KDC singing in OJH's car, when he was frustrated at his computer and when he said 'oh, it's only been 2 minutes'. LOL. 

Notes:

OJH is OJT's cousin. OJH stole the watch from OJT's father. Something happened so later on OJH had to get it again from the auction. OJT's father had something to do with the case? 

Kim Gi Tae's underling was the one who killed PGH. KDC and PGH deduced that he would be someone who tried to kill LDC = the real killer. Either their deduction was wrong, or this underling was also told by someone else to kill those people. 

42 minutes ago, snowlou said:

Notes:

OJH is OJT's cousin. OJH stole the watch from OJT's father. Something happened so later on OJH had to get it again from the auction. OJT's father had something to do with the case? 

I actually think that OJH didn´t steal the watch. In the recording which OJH was listening was his uncle claiming that OJH had stole the watch ( OJT had seen it or told his father that OJH had stole it). I actually think that OJT stole it bc something had happened between OJH and OJT. And OJT wanted to frame his cousin.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

49 minutes ago, triplem said:

@snowlou @joccu I don't know if I am getting this right...but the first episode - the  scene of that watch that was dropped  , is it linked to the watch that Ji Hyuk bought at the auction? Is this watch that he was accused of stealing ?

I thought that the dropped watch was the stolen one.  There were only two of those watches in Korea, so the one that JH bought was the other.  So the stolen watch must still be under the mud in the crime scene.

Makes me wonder if it is the cousin setting JH up.

• Like 5

@triplem @thistle I think the stolen one and the one that was dropped in the crime scene is the same watch.

But maybe also the watch that OJH bought in the auction is the same one.

they only told that there is two watches in south korea. they never told who is the owner of the other  watch

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Reagrding the watch, I don't know exactly what has happened. 

The watch that OJH bought from the auction was originally has connection with that cafe's woman. 

Another watch was OJH's family.

And the watch that is burried (based on 1st eps). We don't know yet because the culprit could be back and found that watch.

We don't know which is which. Who wears/owns which watch.

I also think OJH didn't steal the watch. Maybe his cousin framed him because they didn't have good relationship. We don't know much about their family yet.

Anyway about Park Gun Ho's killer. He didn't even try to hide the corpse? He just left it. Doesn't it mean that he isn't afraid of the police?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, nat_phoenix88 said:

Anyway about Park Gun Ho's killer. He didn't even try to hide the corpse? He just left it. Doesn't it mean that he isn't afraid of the police?

I thought that the way he killed PGH was weird.  If the murderer knew he was gonna kill him, why didn't he just push him off the edge of the building when he first came up behind PGH?  That is what I expected to see when the scene showed PGH from behind while he was looking over the edge, and I was surprised when it did not happen.

It's not like the murderer really needed to chat with PGH or fight with him.  It was more like an animal playing with its prey before killing.  So maybe he's playing with the police as well--like maybe the murderer is saying "you are too stupid to catch me."

• Like 6

8 hours ago, triplem said:

@snowlou @joccu I don't know if I am getting this right...but the first episode - the  scene of that watch that was dropped  , is it linked to the watch that Ji Hyuk bought at the auction? Is this watch that he was accused of stealing ?

After reading ppl's thoughts I'm surprised at my own limited perception. I just straightforwarf assumed it was the same watch and didn't even think further about the existence of the other similar watch. So good question triplem and good answers from everyone! I could just sense that the revelation of things pertaining to this watch/these watches will be daebak. The possinility is endless as to who owned which in the past and how they related to the present and the murder cases. 

3 hours ago, thistle said:

I thought that the way he killed PGH was weird.  If the murderer knew he was gonna kill him, why didn't he just push him off the edge of the building when he first came up behind PGH?  

Good obs. Why I wonder? Now my wild imagination thought...what about..if it turns out that Kim Gi Tae's underling wasn't the one who killed PGH? Maybe he was there to scare him off and then left..and then someone else came later on and killed him? Hahahaahhaha. Don't mind me. I'm just overcomplicating things but can't help play some guessing games while watching this type of drama ;)

14 minutes ago, snowlou said:

Don't mind me. I'm just overcomplicating things but can't help play some guessing games while watching this type of drama ;)

Don't mind me either....I'm the person who dreamed up that silly false Paganini notion.  :lol:  It was wrong (although the link to someone selling his soul seemed so appropriate) but it was fun when I thought it.  I can come up with false clues all over the place!  But that's because I tend to re-write dramas in my head.  

I love it when people come up with different ideas because that makes trying to figure out all the clues so much more fun.  I hadn't thought about the possibility of there being more than one person there at PGH's death scene but it could happen.

• Like 4

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/15/the-good-detective-records-its-highest-viewership-dinner-mate-ends-with-4-3-percent-viewership/
‘The Good Detective’ Records Its Highest Viewership + ‘Dinner Mate’ Ends with 4.3 Percent Viewership

by krishkim

gooddetective.jpg

Credit: JTBC

The Good Detective broke its own all-time high viewership once again.

According to Nielsen Korea, the 4th episode of JTBC’s The Good Detective, which aired on July 14, recorded 4.821 percent nationwide. The figure broke the previous best viewership of 4.179 recorded in the last episode.

The final episode of MBC’s Dinner Mate, which aired on the same day, garnered 2.9 percent and 4.3 percent viewership. Although it was not able to best 6 percent viewership range they recorded in the first episode, the drama escaped its 1 percent range and ended with a solid 4.3 percent viewership.

The fourth episode of KBS2’s To All The Guys Who Loved Me recorded 2.3 percent and 3.3 percent viewership. These records are slightly lower than the 2.6 percent and 3.8 percent viewership recorded in the previous episode.

Meanwhile, the 14th episode of My Unfamiliar Family recorded an average of 4.5 percent and soared as high as 5.6 percent.

Source (1, 2)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At the risk of being proven wrong at some later stage... ;) I would venture to say that the most compelling thing about this show won't be the case. I don't think the case in question... the determination of LDC's guilt... is overly complex. While it clearly involves a lot of people from various walks of life and branches of government who all have their own reasons for soiling their hands, this show isn't primarily about "the truth" behind Yoon Ji-su's death. Even before this episode I had already suspected that OHJ's cousin, OJT was involved in some fashion. And he seems over-the-top violent. The whole watch issue... it's definitely a lead. 

What's interesting thing too about OJT's violent outburst at his company humiliating his employee who apparently badmouthed him on social media isn't that he's been a first class rich bully but that he has the capacity to use violence against his employee and threatens to send the video clip to his daughter as an act of humiliation. It's not about who's right or wrong apparently but about shaming.

From everything that I've seen so far, this show is a psycho-thriller about people. That is to say... What drives them individually, but equally importantly, where they see themselves in relation to the group. Why is it that some do the "right"/"just" thing despite having no incentive to do so, despite the pressure put on them to look the other way, while others succumb to corruption and can rationalize their consciences to accept the injustice(s) that they have become a party to. This is what, I suppose, lifts the material. There is a fascinating, unspoken perhaps... ongoing tension between the individual and the collective. This is an especially pertinent question for a society like SK that's moving from a traditionally shame- honour model of operating to a more guilt-innocence way of thinking. 

Surprisingly I am somewhat more interested in why these people got involved in what seems to be a frame-up job than the cops proving LDC's innocence. I am inclined to think that he is innocent of the artist's death at least. But what other role he may have played in all the shenanigans of 5 years earlier is less clear.

Just looking at Division 2, I feel their disappointment acutely. It must be utterly soul destroying to be stuck in a position where the reality falls so ridiculously short of the vision. Especially for the newbie who is unusually vocal for being the youngest and least experienced in the team. It's a demonstration in all likelihood that his conscience hasn't been desensitized to the point that he's lost his moral compass. But what is a good man to do when he's up against a powerful machine with more resources than he has at his disposal.

This is what corruption does. It inverts universal notions of right and wrong by the use of might. It's like what Shakespeare wrote in Macbeth, "Fair is foul and foul is fair". Those who have the resources enforce the compliance of their narrative on everyone with the use of might... forcing people to go against their consciences and their principles to exercise their control over circumstances. This has always been my problem with collectivism... we certainly have 20th century examples of communism in Stalin and Mao to remind us of the horrors on a much larger scale. There's no place for dissent. Those who do, die.

The thing that struck me hardest was how the present chief emotionally blackmailed KDC into pinning the whole thing on LDC. Both men were wrong. But in different ways. There was no pretence at objectivity... no pursuit of alternate lines of inquiry. On hindsight he didn't even attempt the most fundamental aspects of detective work.

This is perhaps KDC's... what shall we call it... redemption? Atonement?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

At the risk of being proven wrong at some later stage... ;) I would venture to say that the most compelling thing about this show won't be the case. I don't think the case in question... the determination of LDC's guilt... is overly complex. While it clearly involves a lot of people from various walks of life and branches of government who all have their own reasons for soiling their hands, this show isn't primarily about "the truth" behind Yoon Ji-su's death. Even before this episode I had already suspected that OHJ's cousin, OJT was involved in some fashion. And he seems over-the-top violent. The whole watch issue... it's definitely a lead. 

What's interesting thing too about OJT's violent outburst at his company humiliating his employee who apparently badmouthed him on social media isn't that he's been a first class rich bully but that he has the capacity to use violence against his employee and threatens to send the video clip to his daughter as an act of humiliation. It's not about who's right or wrong apparently but about shaming.

From everything that I've seen so far, this show is a psycho-thriller about people. That is to say... What drives them individually, but equally importantly, where they see themselves in relation to the group. Why is it that some do the "right"/"just" thing despite having no incentive to do so, despite the pressure put on them to look the other way, while others succumb to corruption and can rationalize their consciences to accept the injustice(s) that they have become a party to. This is what, I suppose, lifts the material. There is a fascinating, unspoken perhaps... ongoing tension between the individual and the collective. This is an especially pertinent question for a society like SK that's moving from a traditionally shame- honour model of operating to a more guilt-innocence way of thinking. 

Surprisingly I am somewhat more interested in why these people got involved in what seems to be a frame-up job than the cops proving LDC's innocence. I am inclined to think that he is innocent of the artist's death at least. But what other role he may have played in all the shenanigans of 5 years earlier is less clear.

Just looking at Division 2, I feel their disappointment acutely. It must be utterly soul destroying to be stuck in a position where the reality falls so ridiculously short of the vision. Especially for the newbie who is unusually vocal for being the youngest and least experienced in the team. It's a demonstration in all likelihood that his conscience hasn't been desensitized to the point that he's lost his moral compass. But what is a good man to do when he's up against a powerful machine with more resources than he has at his disposal.

This is what corruption does. It inverts universal notions of right and wrong by the use of might. It's like what Shakespeare wrote in Macbeth, "Fair is foul and foul is fair". Those who have the resources enforce the compliance of their narrative on everyone with the use of might... forcing people to go against their consciences and their principles to exercise their control over circumstances. This has always been my problem with collectivism... we certainly have 20th century examples of communism in Stalin and Mao to remind us of the horrors on a much larger scale. There's no place for dissent. Those who do, die.

The thing that struck me hardest was how the present chief emotionally blackmailed KDC into pinning the whole thing on LDC. Both men were wrong. But in different ways. There was no pretence at objectivity... no pursuit of alternate lines of inquiry. On hindsight he didn't even attempt the most fundamental aspects of detective work.

This is perhaps KDC's... what shall we call it... redemption? Atonement?

I have to say this isn't just one case (LDC), but there are at least three cases, even 4 cases. They incriminated LDC for Jang Jin-Su's death and we have Oh Ji Hyuk investigating his father's murder. Besides, we have the woman's urn that the politician visited. It looks like there isn't just one murderer but many who used their position and connection in order to find the perfect scapegoat. Since the corrupt chief Nam recognized the watch, I came to the conclusion that he must have discovered the watch on the crime scene and somehow used this to make a deal with the culprit. 

What caught my attention is the role played by Yoon Sang Mi. First, you had a rather good impression because she seemed to be someone fighting against corruption and KDC didn't seem to act like a good detective. However, the 4th episode revealed that she sided with the higher-up. First, she was tricked with the loss of the evidence, then she must have realized at some point that she had been played. But she decided to overlook that and chose to take advantage of her supposed "mistake" hence she could advance unlike her sunbae who remained a detective.

From my point of view, the ex prosecutor in jail Kim Gi Tae is using the reporter Jin Seo Kyung in order to pressure the ones who betrayed him in the first place. He is definitely not having a conscience so suddenly. Notice that he hired a killer as a driver/accomplice. He needed to act under the radar. So he knows perfectly that the chief Kim Shin Chul has been using Jin hence he approached her. What annoys me is JSK's naivety. Her article had been changed and she hasn't even doubted her boss yet. He seems to target LDC intentionally. 

The present chief, Moon Sang Bum, is much more involved than just emotionally blackmailing KDC. He faked the evidence and made a false testimony. From my point of view, he was far more involved than it looks like. I mean, Jang Jin-Su could have reported Moon Sang Bum and the former told his partner Nam about it. On the other hand, Nam was cheating on his partner with his wife.. and they could have partnered up. The two of them had a motive for their colleague's murder and used the death of the artist in order to get rid of their "problem".

KDC did a really bad job back then and I am surprised that he could be convinced so quickly about LDC's guilt.    

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

@bebebisous33 Totally agree with the part about JinSu and the cop being killed by different people (most likely like you said that the cop was killed by the wife and the cop partner.)

Maybe they were caught by cheating or they just wanted to get rip of the man.

Why does Jang Mi want to prove that DS has taken brides? Is this also order by more powerful people?

Too many corrupt people that it´s hard to keep up.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

finally gotten around to watching ep 3 and ep 4. am still finding all the names so difficult to remember. it is like a saeguk with so many characters and motivations! so easier to remember by just nickname. kekeke...

On 7/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, snowlou said:

@Lmangla What's your fav funny scenes this ep? Mine would be the drunk KDC singing in OJH's car, when he was frustrated at his computer and when he said 'oh, it's only been 2 minutes'. LOL. 

yea I liked those scenes too; I found it funny when watch detective was saying that he has no family and ajusshi almost rolled his eyes like -- bah, I am not going to feel sorry for you; look at my family! I was cracking up at his description of his family - like birds who won't keep their beaks shut (so he is describing little baby birds). it is both cute and exasperating description. 

I was laughing when ajusshi detective takes watch detective home and the sister asks why a handsome man would choose to become detective and only ugly men should be detectives. bwahahahah... and watch detective was hilarious when he said there were better looking men than him as detectives. kekeke... I also was giggling when ajusshi got the phone call from his sister and the ID says something like "no sister in another life" LOL. he might feel harassed but he has a sense of humour about it..

I also like the arguments between watch detective and reporter lady. they are totally on opposite sides and philosophy that it kind of makes it fun to watch.

@joccu ~ agree with you; there are so many corrupt people that it is hard to keep track of. :sweatingbullets: but the corruption investigation lady is so weird -- why is she bent on taking down ajusshi? now, even he is wondering whether she lost the knife on purpose. he is so bringing her down! I can't wait. I think she is probably crooked too and thats how she rose above him even though she was his junior.

@40somethingahjumma ~ yea, more than the case, the corruption and why all these people colluded is far more interesting. it is indeed interesting character study. the small chief of ajusshi's unit tells earnest newbie that cops are just like regular people. there are people who want to do their job, others are more passionate about justice and then there are backstabbers and those who are all about stomping on people.

I remember a prof once telling this - apparently there was some research where they graded students on ethics when they first entered university (some sort of business course). the same students were then graded on ethics close to graduation. the research found a huge difference. initially, the students were enthusiastic but close to graduation, they had become jaded and felt businesses will naturally cut corners and that is just life. he said something that students had not even entered the workplace and already a kind of resignation had set in. so basically a sort of defeat enters all of us and we lose that enthusiastic energy to do good work. is it just life?

anyways, back to our detectives, it was nice to see a bit more personal details in this week's episode. looks like being a police is far more of a personal calling for watch detective. did he witness the murder of his father? his cousin almost seemed wary of him but they were totally fighting with each other in a polite manner. why would a guy who is so cruel to his employee be afraid of watch detective?

• Like 3
  • Love 3

23 hours ago, thistle said:

I thought that the way he killed PGH was weird.  If the murderer knew he was gonna kill him, why didn't he just push him off the edge of the building when he first came up behind PGH?  That is what I expected to see when the scene showed PGH from behind while he was looking over the edge, and I was surprised when it did not happen.

It's not like the murderer really needed to chat with PGH or fight with him.  It was more like an animal playing with its prey before killing.  So maybe he's playing with the police as well--like maybe the murderer is saying "you are too stupid to catch me."

I think instead of "you are too stupid to catch me", it might be more of a "I am too powerful for you to catch me" since the body was left in the open instead of being killed by the knife hidden within the building itself. Not too sure about the methods of killing but JSD did use a similar looking knife while he opened the toilet door so that part where the guy looking for PGH and scraping the knife against the wall seems likely to be JSD (I mean to say feels similar the knife scenes but not meant to say same knives please forgive me hahahaha) But I agree, feels like there is a disconnect as to why he held a knife yet chose to push him off the building where his body is exposed and easily found (though also easier to be dismissed as suicide).

On 7/14/2020 at 10:39 PM, nat_phoenix88 said:

Reagrding the watch, I don't know exactly what has happened. 

The watch that OJH bought from the auction was originally has connection with that cafe's woman. 

Another watch was OJH's family.

And the watch that is burried (based on 1st eps). We don't know yet because the culprit could be back and found that watch.

We don't know which is which. Who wears/owns which watch.

Yes this part is definitely rather confusing.

I presume that OJH was accused to have taken the watch but it was actually pocketed by his cousin or someone else in the family(?) since he would have no reason to purchase it at the auction if he already had one.

The watch purchased at the auction definitely seems fishy since the watch seller provides a sketchy phone number to OJH linking to the original seller and claimed that if it was stolen, he would have known. Once again I presume the woman had obtained it from the murder scene as she did not provide her mobile number easily in order to prevent it from being tracked back to her so easily (If it was the other watch - the other one out of the two - being stolen and sold, I believe it would have been reported since it is an expensive watch. I don't believe the woman is also the actual owner of it neither because I don't think such rare watches will be easily given up to be sold considering it is a collector's item. If it was once owned by a collector and based on a collector's mindset, one would probably not easily let go of their collection unless it is to another like-minded individual who appreciates the rate item as much and will not easily sell it neither. So definitely won't sell it to a reseller).

Hence I am quite convinced it is the same watch from OJH's family that OJH ended up buying at the auction. It is more likely that the mystery is in the process of it being lost from OJH's family (and why OJH was accused of taking it) and how it ended up being found at the auction. I believe OJH already has some answers to this.

Another reason believing that it is pocketed by OJH's cousin or someone in/near their family is because the artist who was murdered and painted OJH's cousin's portrait might have come across path with the murderer while she was commissioned to do the painting. That's probably where the murderer spotted her? But I am not sure if it is OJH's cousin because the linkage seems too direct. Hahaha I don't think the writer is going to make it so easy for us to decipher this.

I am also very curious to know if OJH has a hunch that his family is somehow involved with illegal matters (and the framing of LDC) causing him to return to the police force as he feels that he might be the only person who is truly able to uncover the truth of the matter (since he won't be swayed by the same temptations offered). This is just a hunch because the way he spoke to his cousin seems that he is very convinced about how his cousin had definitely done something wrong and he wants to be the crazy guy to chase him down and make him punishable for his deeds.

Btw did OJH's cousin mentioned that OJH's father was a victim of murder? This makes me even more curious if he is back to figure out who is behind all these murders and if his father's murder was also linked to all the corruption within the police force.

P/S I love Oh Jung Se's acting. He is such a diverse and engaging actor. Watching him in It's Okay Not to be Okay and now here is like whoaaa admiration 100% hahaha. He plays two very different roles and nailed them both so on point! At first I could barely recognise the similarities because his facial expressions were making him look just so different.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

39 minutes ago, fluffyloaf said:

Kim Gi Tae did use a similar looking knife while he opened the toilet door so that part where the guy looking for PGH and scraping the knife against the wall seems likely to be KGT.

EDITING:  KGT is wrong here.  I mean the Driver guy.

I don't think they were similar.  But it is a bit confusing which knife KGT had on him when he threatened the reporter.  I'm not sure that I'm about to make sense here regarding any theories but I will say that there were at least two knives.

The knife that PGH carried to the empty building and that the killer took away from PGH and then scraped along the wall was a fixed blade knife with a brown wooden handle.  The knife that the police took as evidence from KGT was a folding knife with what appeared to be an ivory color handle.  Two very different weapons. 

Why was the weapon different?  Two different criminals maybe.  Or possibly the bad police got rid of PGH's knife because it had his blood/DNA on it since they are trying to pass off his death as suicide and maybe they planted the folding knife on KGT.

But I'm thinking that possibly KGT did have the folding knife.  If KGT kept the original knife to threaten the reporter with when he opened the toilet door, it would have been difficult to conceal because it was not a folding knife--it's not easy to carry around an unsheathed knife with a blade that is about 5 inches long and a handle of similar length.  Remember how PGH had the knife blade wrapped in paper when he put it into his back pocket. 

I have no idea where I'm going with this.....

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1