[OFFICIAL] Hyun Bin ❤️ Son Ye Jin (BinJin Couple)

cybertron

3 hours ago, PiP said:

Regarding the video from NK ajoummas at the CLOY wrap-up party, there is a misunderstanding going on, it seems. From what I can see, they complimented SYJ for everything she did and, when they moved to thanking HB, they initially teased HB that he didn't even need to act (in order to conquer them). An indirect and spirited way to say that he is really so handsome for them... So their speech is absolutely not about teasing HB and SYJ for their chemistry. Considering also how sensitive the topic is, they would not have dared to raise rumors, as they are all considerate fellow and senior actors. By the way, don't we love all of the cast members? All amazing not just during filming but also in BTS! The party gives the last glimpse of an awesome atmosphere that everyone would wish to have at work. Bless them!

Thanks for clarifying this! Since I was one of the first (quite awhile back) to wrongly interpret what the NK ahjumma meant, I felt kinda bad cuz this wrong narrative kept coming up again and again, and even went into some Binjin fanmade videos. Although it was thrilling to think they were hinting at Binjin, but you are right that being considerate colleagues, they wouldn't have done anything that may create inconvenience to Binjin. 

1 hour ago, Restless said:

While HB and SYJ may have been prepared for the consequences (i.e. added public scrutiny of their relationship) when they decided to do CLOY together amidst and in the height of the rumors involving them, but I don't think they anticipated CLOY to be this BIG. 

I don't think any of them, even the other cast, crew and production anticipated that CLOY will a GLOBAL (?) PHENOMENON. I might be exaggerating a bit, but I don't think there has been any other kdrama in the past few years as big as CLOY currently is. although there were several dramas that were PAN-ASIAN hits. 

And because of this, public love and pressure for both will be even heavier and challenging.  Despite how successful they may been with their past works, awards, and what not, for some, CLOY might define them. And this is the downside, from here on out, their succeeding projects might be judged and compared based on the success of CLOY (especially that it has attracted a lot of new and casual fans who have become attached to the characters and personalities). There will be added pressure. So I think for both of them, their next projects, I would want to see them in a different genre (I'm glad HB is doing Bargaining next) at least in the near term.

Apologies to my co-Southeast Asians (I love all of you guys, my comrades), but man, they are some of the most hardcore fans in social media, especially twitter and instagram I've seen... I've seen how massive they can be with banters and trolling against each other for whom or what they support in, especially Football and Miss Universe, imagine what they can do if those guys are united for a common cause. Over 22k comments on a post by SYJ alone (because CLOY is SO BIG in SEA), and I noticed a chunk of the comments are from SEA fans. Might be the reason why SYJ is being incognito in her IG right now. Suggest she deactivates her IG comments for awhile otherwise, that will just be added pressure on her. Same for the IG of Vast as well I think.

And then if HB (and I think he is) really serious with SYJ, then he should put a ring-on-it (this is not to pressure him or anything). I would have to agree with what someone has posted here before several hundred pages back, that what HB practically has stamped SYJ with a big TAKEN tag. It seemed he has built a wall around SYJ through his gestures of love and affection that screams SHE IS MINE and reinforced with, again, the PHENOMENAL SUCCESS that is CLOY, every other male lead might be intimated. Or if anyone wished to pursue her romantically, will also be intimated because he will always be compared. I might be wrong though, but that's how I see things currently. 

Yes, I agree that HB and SYJ went in to CLOY with their eyes wide open, but for sure they (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't have anticipate the Global impact that CLOY would have, including their own surge in Global popularity and intense scrutiny, from both the fans (new and old), general public and media (local and international). I think it made them become EVEN MORE protective of their privacy.

I think taking up roles in movies will help them post-CLOY - HB is already filming a movie and I predict SYJ's next work will also be a movie. And I also think it will be a different genre from CLOY ie less romance/ romcom type.

About fans, I guess the reason why you see mostly SEA fans in the comment sections of Insta and Twitter is cuz they are still one of the biggest group of Kdrama fans. But we are also missing out another big group which are the China fans - we are not as aware about them unless we can read chinese and are active on China social media. But don't be surprised that western fans eg. US can just be as massive in terms of online banters/ cmments/ trolling etc. I notice that in Kpop due to the recent big growth of kpop in US and other European countries.

Are the fans also active in VAST social media? Didn't know that, thot it was only in SYJ's Insta account. Guess it's a good time for her to take a break from social media and have a good rest.

Has HB put a stamp on SYJ? LOL! Well, not sure. But if they are really dating in real life now, then most of the K-ent industry will likely know about them, and yeah, they guys won't dare to touch YJ lol!! As for putting a ring on it, YJ also need to say Yes. It's a BIG life-changing decision, and she's been independent for so long. But if they are for real, I pray that it will be an easy decision for them to make. :D

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, Riri forever said:

And because of this, public love and pressure for both will be even heavier and challenging.  Despite how successful they may been with their past works, awards, and what not, for some, CLOY might define them. And this is the downside, from here on out, their succeeding projects might be judged and compared based on the success of CLOY (especially that it has attracted a lot of new and casual fans who have become attached to the characters and personalities). There will be added pressure. So I think for both of them, their next projects, I would want to see them in a different genre (I'm glad HB is doing Bargaining next) at least in the near term.

I've been thinking about HB's career. In an interview years ago he said he was in episode 6 if his life was a 16-episode drama. After CLOY I would think that he is currently in episode 8 right now where the FL and ML are clearly in love and just getting through the obstacles. The problem is, CLOY has set the bar so high not only for other dramas, but also for HB and SYJ themselves. Assuming HB and SYJ were already in a very good relationship since the Negotiation, due to it being private HB can easily act in MOA with PSH without being scrutinized. However, due to CLOY, I'm sure his chemistry with other female actors will be judged and compared a lot. The same will happen to SYJ. It will be a lot harder for them to star in another rom-com drama in a while. Now, let's assume they are in love for real and decide to announce to be a couple/wedding, that is almost like a stamp on themselves that they would never be able to act in another rom-com. Imagine, it would be weird to see Kim TH to act lovey-dovey in another man's arm now that she is married. Also, how did SHK's fan reaction when they saw the Encounter? Did they focus on the relationship between the leads, or they just create more rumors about her work life and her private life and the two men?

I love HB and SYJ so much and I understand this is the biggest sacrifice for them to not announce their relationship if it is real because of their careers. They want to act more before they are gradually overwhelmed by other younger actors. So, whether or not HB and SYJ announce their relationship, I still sincerely support them and hope that they plan everything out for the best of their lives. My selfish viewer in me still wishes to see more of HB's drama so I hope he figures out a way to balance both his personal life and his career. Sorry for my broken English, I'm sure these thoughts have been expressed before! Just wanna say my own thoughts. Happy shipping!

• Like 8
  • Insightful 3

13 minutes ago, L A said:

I've been thinking about HB's career. In an interview years ago he said he was in episode 6 if his life was a 16-episode drama. After CLOY I would think that he is currently in episode 8 right now where the FL and ML are clearly in love and just getting through the obstacles. The problem is, CLOY has set the bar so high not only for other dramas, but also for HB and SYJ themselves. Assuming HB and SYJ were already in a very good relationship since the Negotiation, due to it being private HB can easily act in MOA with Park Shin-Hye without being scrutinized. However, due to CLOY, I'm sure his chemistry with other female actors will be judged and compared a lot. The same will happen to SYJ. It will be a lot harder for them to star in another rom-com drama in a while. Now, let's assume they are in love for real and decide to announce to be a couple/wedding, that is almost like a stamp on themselves that they would never be able to act in another rom-com. Imagine, it would be weird to see Kim Tae-Hee to act lovey-dovey in another man's arm now that she is married. Also, how did Song Hye Kyo's fan reaction when they saw the Encounter? Did they focus on the relationship between the leads, or they just create more rumors about her work life and her private life and the two men?

I love HB and SYJ so much and I understand this is the biggest sacrifice for them to not announce their relationship if it is real because of their careers. They want to act more before they are gradually overwhelmed by other younger actors. So, whether or not HB and SYJ announce their relationship, I still sincerely support them and hope that they plan everything out for the best of their lives. My selfish viewer in me still wishes to see more of HB's drama so I hope he figures out a way to balance both his personal life and his career. Sorry for my broken English, I'm sure these thoughts have been expressed before! Just wanna say my own thoughts. Happy shipping!

Actors being married doesn't necessarily affect viewers' experience in watching them starring in romantic genre. Ji-sung and Lee Bo-young also managed to participate in romantic dramas after getting married. Rather than rom-com, they picked those with more subtle and mature lovelines which suit their age.

Even if HB and YJ didn't work together in CLOY, they have come to a point that they will no longer be suitable to play roles in a lovey-dovey drama 1 or 2 years later (that's also why HB accepted CLOY so quickly despite such a short period of time after MOTA ended). They are professional actors and I believe they understand what roles they should take in their next projects.

But I do agree that the chemistry between them set a very high standard not just in their future projects, but also in the whole industry in SK. I think if I watch any new rom-com, I will immediately imagine HB and YJ being the leads. lol

• Like 12
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TotoroSY said:

Yes, I agree that HB and SYJ went in to CLOY with their eyes wide open, but for sure they (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't have anticipate the Global impact that CLOY would have, including their own surge in Global popularity and intense scrutiny, from both the fans (new and old), general public and media (local and international). I think it made them become EVEN MORE protective of their privacy.

This is actually the part that's giving me a lot of mixed me feelings. 

While I want them to keep their privacy to get the pressure of off their backs and to let the issue die down a bit, it cannot also be denied that they are a big part of the success of CLOY, or even that CLOY=HB/SYJ. So its their voices that everyone wants to hear. 

I want to hear and see their reaction to how popular and successful the drama is. 

I remember the Vogue interview when HB said, he wanted to go see the future when CLOY ends and see the reaction of the people. And his reaction to the show reaching its 22% ratings, which he predicted... lol.... I mean, as much as I would like to hear their personal circumstances, I personally would like to hear them talk about the success of this project more, and somehow I think they also owe it to the viewers and the fans that supported the project... and to the entire CLOY team as well... but that's just me and my mixed feelings... hahaha

BTW, I'm sure if the Chinese fans had access to Twitter or IG, there'll be more of them on SYJ's account... unfortunately or fortunately majority is confined to Weibo right... lol... 

• Like 9

Comrades i hope this is not much info to ask. Can you please name a few Korean hallyu actors and actresses that got married and still took on film and tv projects and what genre they played in? Were they still succesful in a romantic comedy genre after marriage?

3 hours ago, Restless said:

While HB and SYJ may have been prepared for the consequences (i.e. added public scrutiny of their relationship) when they decided to do CLOY together amidst and in the height of the rumors involving them, but I don't think they anticipated CLOY to be this BIG. 

I don't think any of them, even the other cast, crew and production anticipated that CLOY will a GLOBAL (?) PHENOMENON. I might be exaggerating a bit, but I don't think there has been any other kdrama in the past few years as big as CLOY currently is. although there were several dramas that were PAN-ASIAN hits. 

Apologies to my co-Southeast Asians (I love all of you guys, my comrades), but man, they are some of the most hardcore fans in social media, especially twitter and instagram I've seen... I've seen how massive they can be with banters and trolling against each other for whom or what they support in, especially Football and Miss Universe, imagine what they can do if those guys are united for a common cause. Over 22k comments on a post by SYJ alone (because CLOY is SO BIG in SEA), and I noticed a chunk of the comments are from SEA fans. Might be the reason why SYJ is being incognito in her IG right now. Suggest she deactivates her IG comments for awhile otherwise, that will just be added pressure on her. Same for the IG of Vast as well I think.

And then if HB (and I think he is) really serious with SYJ, then he should put a ring-on-it (this is not to pressure him or anything). I would have to agree with what someone has posted here before several hundred pages back, that what HB practically has stamped SYJ with a big TAKEN tag. It seemed he has built a wall around SYJ through his gestures of love and affection that screams SHE IS MINE and reinforced with, again, the PHENOMENAL SUCCESS that is CLOY, every other male lead might be intimated. Or if anyone wished to pursue her romantically, will also be intimated because he will always be compared. I might be wrong though, but that's how I see things currently. 

I would like to clarify some things. It's good to hype things up but not good if you are saying too many untrue things.

1. I don't think you have any idea how big some other Kdramas are. CLOY are little in comparison to Kdramas such as MLFTS, Goblin, DOTS and older ones such as Dae Jang Gum, Winter Sonata, BOF, Full House. These Kdramas are definition of cultural phenoms, which CLOY cannot be due to the conflicting state between SK and NK and it's okay. Because of the conflict, SK cannot ride on CLOY at all for tourist sites and etc. Someone also said that CLOY was in top 3 in all streaming platforms in the US. I'd like to clarify that it is not true. Streaming platforms are available all around the world, and one of the list that someone brought up should include all countries around the world.

2. HB and SYJ are already Hallyu stars before CLOY. They are already A-list actors before CLOY. CLOY is not what defines them at all. HB had MLKSS and Secret Garden which was bigger than CLOY both domestically and internationally. SYJ had A Moment to Remember, The Classic which achieved Pan-Asia popularity. CLOY may be what brought them the international attention again after years of focusing on movies, but certainly not the work that define them.

3. Both HB and SYJ are great actors. I don't think just because of the phenomenal chemistry they have in CLOY and TN, it would be hard for them to create chemistry and act well with other actors in other movies/dramas. They have done it in the past and they will do it once again. Moreover, it's not like there are no movies/dramas out there that are not in the romance genre. 

Fans need to stop to push them to be outed publicly. You all should know that's why they don't release the DVD because there are too much to be edited. Just imagine how hard it was for the editing team to edit out the BTS for CLOY. Please just let them date privately in peace. Marriage is something that should not be rushed and I'm sure we all would want them to think about it thoroughly before taking another step.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4

All credit to @KimSooHanMoo on Twitter, she is really the go-to for HB information. She posted a translation for an in-depth interview with HB that took place in late 2018. It’s an interesting interview where he talks about his internal struggles as an actor, why he’s so private, how he doesn’t have time for love (haha!), and what sort of project he was looking for next (his answer was a realistic love drama and in my mind that’s because he knew who he wanted as his co-star :wub:) amongst other things 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, L A said:

Imagine, it would be weird to see Kim Tae-Hee to act lovey-dovey in another man's arm now that she is married. Also, how did Song Hye Kyo's fan reaction when they saw the Encounter? Did they focus on the relationship between the leads, or they just create more rumors about her work life and her private life and the two men?

Hmm. This is a legit question. Even I was also thinking how would fans perceive their work in the future if they accept their relationship. In my country,it simply doesn't have much effect. Artists continue with their normal working schedule irrespective of their dating status.People watch their work and appreciate their on screen portrayal. Thats it .However k-industry is very peculiar and different from any industry in the world. So it is quite difficult to predict. I know I m not supposed to name other actors but to make my point clear, I have to. For example, 

Spoiler

Jun-Ji Hyun. She worked in many rom-coms be it movies or dramas. However after she got married she starred in MLFAS and LOTBS .Both the dramas had some hot scenes as per kdrama standards (I mean lots of kisses:tounge_xd:). However her projects were appreciated and were quite popular. So it didn't have any negative effect . Another example could be Han Ga In. She got married to one of her co-star from a drama at the tender age of 23 ig. But still starred in one of the most famous drama of the last decade i.e METS.You will find many married women still working graciously. 

But there is a slight difference between the names that I mentioned above and Binjin. In those,their spouses were not that big of a celebrity who frequently appear in our televisions.(JJH hubby is a business man).

Binjin are well known faces of Korea and a star couple having one of the biggest hits in drama history which will be known most importantly for the pair's chemistry. So it is possible that people will find it hard to digest when on the screen they will be romantically involved with other stars.It is related to the sentiments attached. They are great actors and will definitely try to create a good chemistry with their on-screen partners.Sorry ,but I won't be able to accept or believe in that anytime soon  and so will many fans .

The closest scenario to it could be SongSong couple after DOTS and their eventual marriage.(Sorry I can't help it as this is the best example. I will edit this if required) .Both were famous and starred in a hit drama ,then got married, situation is similar to Binjin (I believe our OTP will have a beautiful ending though).I haven't watched Encounter so won't comment on the chemistry but I know it had good ratings, at par with MOTA . I would suggest that we don't dive much deeper in that direction cause as far as I know some unpleasant things did echo later on. But it would not be appropriate to toil on that topic further in this thread as it is against the forum rules.

Again Rain and KTH is also a good example as both are famous .And some people may be bothered and some may not if she acts in a rom-com . If you ask me ,I will enjoy her work but still  once in a while I would be reminded of Rain's face at the back of my head :sweatingbullets:..

I have been watching Once Again during the weekends which stars Lee Min Jung.At first I felt awkward seeing her as someone else's wife but it was momentary and soon got immersed in her character and thought she looked good with her co-star (Sorry Lee Byun Hyun). However I haven't seen these two pairs in a common project on-screen with their partners unlike Binjin. So don't know what will be my reaction in case of Binjin.

It totally depends on the viewers and I don't know how k-fans will react cause so far I don't think there was much negative reaction in case of the names(except maybe one) that I have mentioned .Oops I guess I confused you more:sweatingbullets:.

I really wish that they star in a different genre for the next project. Or yeah they can surely act in another rom-com ONLY IF BOTH WORK TOGETHER AGAIN. Cause pds should know that majority of the audience can't bear to see them romancing other people.:phew: But again they shouldn't be bothered by our wishful thoughts. They are pros ,will choose their work diligently and shine again.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 5

8 hours ago, Sukma Anggraini said:

Anyway, I guess it happened during MOTA right? HB's hair cut is the same with Zinu.

yap, you're right. MoTA start filming middle of 2018 until Desember, TN promos form 9th August to 30th September

13 hours ago, RiRiCrashedOnMe said:

Not sure if anyone noticed SYJ and the Director's reaction (at 5.25) and HB's  face to the MC's question  (start at 5.39) ...it has been repeated several times.

The MC's reply is interesting: "It's over with the word "meal"

Haha.. ya, i see it too.. He maybe knowing something behind that question, and realise he is our BINJIN matchmaker, really thankful to the director-nim for the hints and spoiler even he just laught at what the MC wanna make sure and dig about something more :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

IMO marriage is not a death stamp

for acting in romantic dramas or movies. But regardless of where their relationship takes them, HB and SYJ are first and foremost professionals with almost 2 decades of experience. If I were them, I would be a little offended if I were told that I should not take on romantic roles anymore just because the public can’t disassociate me from a previous role enough to embrace a new one. They’ve immersed themselves into all their previous characters and developed chemistry with previous co-stars and I am sure they will continue to do so. I actually think the limiting factor for them in finding romantic genre projects in the future is age and they both seem to recognize this (as they have both mentioned in different interviews how important taking on age appropriate roles is to them). Anyway, I guess my point is CLOY will always have a special place in my heart (and will likely be my favorite project of theirs forever) but its massive popularity should not prevent them from taking on whatever roles they want in the future.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

Hello all, could someone explain to me if the writer or the director found and suggested HB first for the role Captain Ri in CLOY? I was under the impression that the writer saved this script for HB, but I could be wrong. In K-ent, who has the right to pick the actors/actresses? Thank you.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:15 AM, loveintheair said:

In my opinion, HB was very happy and earnestly wanted to work with YJ again after TN because he knew he found his right match on screen and hopefully off screen.

I believe in art, there is nothing more precious that finding a person who is the right match for you; someone who is just as passionate as you, who understands and values artwork like you do and enhances your work by just being in it. Whether romantically involved or not, I think getting to know and acting with SYJ is one of HB's blessings in life and itself is a reason he treasures her immensely. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Restless said:

This is actually the part that's giving me a lot of mixed me feelings. 

While I want them to keep their privacy to get the pressure of off their backs and to let the issue die down a bit, it cannot also be denied that they are a big part of the success of CLOY, or even that CLOY=HB/SYJ. So its their voices that everyone one wants to hear. 

I want to hear and see their reaction to how popular and successful the drama is. 

I remember the Vogue interview when HB said, he wanted to go see the future when CLOY ends and see the reaction of the people. And his reaction the show reaching its 22% ratings, which he predicted... lol.... I mean, as much as I would like to hear their personal circumstances, personally would like to hear them talk about the success of this project more, and somehow I think they also owe it to the viewers and the fans that supported the project... and to the entire CLOY team as well... but that's just me and my mixed feelings... hahaha

BTW, I'm sure if the Chinese fans had access to Twitter or IG, there'll be more of them on SYJ's account... unfortunately or fortunately majority is confined to Weibo right... lol... 

Maybe the reason they are keeping very quiet post CLOY is because, if they accept interviews, the focus of the media (and fans/ general public) will be more on their rumored romance. Hence why no post-interviews. Another factor may be due to Covid19 which suddenly spiked in SK, esp in Daegu ie SYJ's hometown and parents home. HB himself posted his concerns and asking everyone to keep safe, almost immediately after news of the Covid19 spike came out. Maybe they just want to stay away from the limelight in respect of the emergency situation of the country, esp being very big influential stars (they tend to get more judgement from the public).

I am in agreement with you about hearing/ seeing their reaction about CLOY's success. Hopefully we will be able to hear from them in the near future. And by then, they will also have a chance to digest the success and give more insight about how they feel and process it, and how they handled the scrutiny that they got during and post CLOY.

Anyways, I am always pretty rational and try not to get overly affected by things I can't control and just be chill about it. Take one day and one step at a time. Patience is the key here LOL!!

P.S. Very interesting discussion that we are having here - totally enjoying it!

===================

Wanted to add my thots to the discussion about HB and SYJ accepting romantic roles in the future, and how being married might/ might not affect that. Both HB and SYJ have stated in interviews that they will continue to take up roles in line with their maturity and age. I think they are smart and passionate actors who are not caught up just by the popularity, but are always looking for roles that is right for them and for that particular time/ experience in their life. As long as these romantic roles fit them (right age, right timing etc), and tells a compelling story, it should not be a problem for them to take up these roles. Don't have to worry too much, they are experienced enough and have good people and friends around them to advise them. :D

@eLizza  Just a friendly advise - you may want to put in spoilers for some of the off-topic/ other couple examples that you haven given, as it was quite a long post about it. :D

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

@Restless. I totally agree with your point. It indeed has attracted a new audience demo. Infact I too watched HB in Sega and very much disliked him maybe due to his character. Saw SYJ in Personal Taste and liked her. Still I was not into them much. But it was indeed CLOY that made me their fan. There were already many loyal SYJ ,HB fans before but CLOY indeed managed to solidify their status as hallyu stars again by garnering a new batch of fanbase worldwide. SE Ga was undoubtedly a big hit during those days but due to absence of social media or popular streaming sites,it could not reach to each and every corner of the world. Netflix ensured it this time with CLOY.

Surely  hallyu wave hits the world from time to time with classic dramas but their popularity is limited to the resources and situations pertaining to that era...CLOY comes out at a different time when whole world is dealing with various geopolitical scenarios,as well as an invisible enemy.

Just read a big news today, I m sure you all have and it made me wishing for a unified Korea with a glimmer of hope. Yes that unified Korea which our ducklings,Seri and Jeong Hyuk were pining for.And many people around the world now having similar thoughts as me. Had I not watched CLOY would I be so very much bothered about it ?maybe not .. eventhough, earlier I did have some idea regarding the situation in that nation .I bet before CLOY ,if anyone imagined that normal human do exist in that country. CLOY has served even a bigger purpose than just being a cultural phenomenon. It has been able to move people's emotions and made them pray for a greater cause.

With time people's tastes and demand have changed. It is challenging nowadays to keep the interest alive and constantly engage them so much  .Even with so much other content available CLOY stood out ,that alone is a feat.

@TotoroSY thanks for the advice. I didn't realise it went too long. Edited my post.

PS: This is the first time I have been hit with a hallyu wave that badly. I haven't watched most of those classics and the few(majorly the recent ones) that I did, only the ff button was my saving grace. Before CLOY ,my other favourite dramas were not hallyu hits but I still liked them.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, L A said:

Hello all, could someone explain to me if the writer or the director found and suggested HB first for the role Captain Ri in CLOY? I was under the impression that the writer saved this script for HB, but I could be wrong. In K-ent, who has the right to pick the actors/actresses? 

Kindly not speculate this sensitive topic as the director had already informed at presscon how he chose both HB & SYJ. Moreover HB & SYJ have said that characters in CLOY match their real life personalities 100%, so it seems the scripts were written for both of them

Both of them are A list actor/ actress & doesn’t need other’s fame, recommendation to be casted in a project. SYJ already worked with some of the biggest hallyu stars in her previous works: SSH in Summer Scent, BYJ in April Snow, LMH in Personal Taste as well as HB’s idol (JWS) in A Moment To Remember 

HB’s Idol

https://www.google.dk/amp/m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php%3fud=20170119000890

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

45 minutes ago, TotoroSY said:

==================

Wanted to add my thots to the discussion about HB and SYJ accepting romantic roles in the future, and how being married might/ might not affect that. Both HB and SYJ have stated in interviews that they will continue to take up roles in line with their maturity and age. I think they are smart and passionate actors who are not caught up just by the popularity, but are always looking for roles that is right for them and for that particular time/ experience in their life. As long as these romantic roles fit them (right age, right timing etc), and tells a compelling story, it should not be a problem for them to take up these roles. Don't have to worry too much, they are experienced enough and have good people and friends around them to advise them. :D

Oh totally agree.. it shouldn't be a limiting factor for them to choose their projects... But I think it should be at the RIGHT TIMING... I think they should allow the hype of CLOY to die down first before doing another romantic drama, lest it will be compared immediately... just to cite an example previously given, if I remember correctly, Encounter came out 2-3 years after DOTS... my two cents! :) 

Enjoying the discussions and exchange of ideas and opinions... :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, binniejinniecultivator said:

What do you mean by this? Are you "kind-of" putting CLOY down on a lower level than other K-dramas? CLOY cannot be one of the cultural phenoms of SK? We are proud of CLOY in it's own greatness and uniqueness. It is the highest rated tvN drama and the second-highest-rated Korean drama in cable television history. Ranking K-dramas, I think, is subjective and based on every person's tastes. Saying CLOY is "little in comparison" to others is an opinion, not a fact :)

2 hours ago, Restless said:

I have stated here several times why I think CLOY is such a big hit and bigger some other dramas. And I'm speaking as an International fan, who while having limited years watching Korean pop culture, but I have extensively observed local entertainment media (for a time I was a part of the local industry in my country, and later on went into PR). I never claimed nor said that the show was a cultural phenomenon. I said, I believe that it was a phenomenon and a bigger hit considering the new audience demo that it has attracted. And it being a global hit has been written about by both SK and international press. 

I said there is no doubt that HB and SYB has a achieved a lot in their previous . That's why I said SOME (especially new and casual fans), I did not say that everyone will define them by CLOY. There is a difference. Yes, HB is already known here in my country because of his previous works in SeGa and Samsoon (especially because the female demo is the dominant audience of K-ent here), but I myself, and a lot of others here have only recently known about SYJ (I became and instant fan and have started to watch her previous works), those who really know her are those who have long followed K-ent. I very much respect their standing in the industry. Which brings me again to previous point when I said that SOME (esp. new and casual fans) and that is the perspective where I am coming from. 

No. I was there and I witnessed how big these Kdramas were. Those Kdramas got intense media coverage everywhere. Have you seen DOTS or MLFTS or SG and how big they were? The media coverage that those dramas got was a lot more intense than CLOY had believe me I saw it first hand. Those shows were imitated everywhere by Korean shows and common people. Example: SG with the sit-up scene; DOTS with that flipping cellphone scene; MLFTS for JJH fashion and CSY character. Have you seen how intense the attention DJG got? That Kdrama was bought by more than 100 countries for broadcasting rights and also at the same time doubled their viewership ratings. It single-handedly skyrocketed LYA into a Hallyu legend like Winter Sonata with BYJ. 

Saying that CLOY are bigger than some of those dramas is just simply wrong and I'm in no way downplaying CLOY. I'm just tired of people saying that it is bigger and I'm sure of that because K-media and international media would have gone crazy by now by making headlines such as "biggest K-drama ever" if it is bigger than those K-dramas. I'm just sharing how big those K-dramas were but if you all don't want to hear and want to keep thinking that CLOY is bigger than those K-dramas, then I'll shut up. If you ask people who were there to witness those K-dramas hype, I'm sure they would agree with me. On another hand, I'd say that saying that CLOY is the biggest Hallyu hit since Goblin is a fair statement. 

However, some of those dramas such as DOTS, BOF or MLFTS had very cheesy lines and moments such as fashion, etc. which made them popular while CLOY have very little of those factors - so it's safe to say that people love CLOY because of the story and the actors more than the cheesy lines and flashiness. Those dramas also had very famous OSTs, much more popular than CLOY OSTs which put them above CLOY in terms of attention. That's what I love about this drama, it touched people not because of the cheesiness, OSTs, etc but because of its story and the phenomenal acting by the cast (while in most popular K-dramas such as BOF and DOTS which are both very cheesy imo, there are already some actors who under-performed). 

• Like 1
  • Unamused 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cloyfan said:

All credit to @KimSooHanMoo on Twitter, she is really the go-to for HB information. She posted a translation for an in-depth interview with HB that took place in late 2018. It’s an interesting interview where he talks about his internal struggles as an actor, why he’s so private, how he doesn’t have time for love (haha!), and what sort of project he was looking for next (his answer was a realistic love drama and in my mind that’s because he knew who he wanted as his co-star :wub:) amongst other things

Hi @cloyfan, thanks for sharing this! I think this goes to show how true SYJ's comment was about how they seem to share so many similarities as persons. From here, I can see why HB, as an actor, is attracted to the acting range of Yejin, and why he did want to act with her again in ways that is more intimate. If two people are this dedicated to their craft, it follows that they become attracted to each other because of their passion to it. I like to believe CLOY is really a gift to them, and how they were able to go down "memory lane" (with the way the writer / director incorporated their past projects) for the two of them to experience each other, and their many facets, in this single series. It's a one time opportunity for them, since if they end up revealing their relationship, I don't think they will want or will be allowed to act together. 

On the other hand, as fans, I hope we also acknowledge that CLOY isn't just about them, or that it should not revolve around them. It's more than their relationship. I also don't think Studio Dragon isn't releasing the DVD because they want to "hide" their relationship or something--it may be because of production constraints, or because of some political issues. While it sucks that we still don't have any clue about why and if they will or will not release the DVD, let's not frame it as because "Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin are trying to hide something."  We are unwittingly blaming them in this way. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2