[OFFICIAL] Hyun Bin ❤️ Son Ye Jin (BinJin Couple)

cybertron

1 hour ago, blessedchild said:

Based on my observation, it seems like DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata have truly reached an iconic status of Korean dramas and their hallyu effects were phenomenal. I actually remember DOTS being really famous, like really famous even in China (I'm not from there but I remember its soaring popularity everywhere). The thing is I am not even a fan of DOTS, I tried watching it given that it's so famous but I gave up after the first episode and this has always made me curious as to why it's so popular.

On the other hand, I really really love CLOY and you have no idea how excited I get whenever someone watches CLOY.  But I personally think that it's popularity is not as huge as DOTS? Which really made me wonder why and why is it not as popular in China given its huge population? Anyone mind enlightening me as to why CLOY's wave is not as huge as DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata?

I would of course be more than happy when CLOY's popularity soars to the extent where it reaches an iconic status. 

I know right? That's what I'm trying to say but I think people here probably think I'm an anti or something when I'm just stating my observations based on my experiences first-hand. I'm aware that many people in this thread are new that's why they think that CLOY is bigger than those K-dramas when it's not. I don't even like other K-dramas mentioned above that much beside DJG and MLFTS. I actually find DOTS and BOF really lame and I couldn't even finish those dramas. I actually like CLOY the most out of these K-dramas but people here seem unwilling to listen to observations from people who experienced and witnessed how big those K-dramas were first-hand. 

About why DOTS were bigger than CLOY, I think it's because DOTS had a lot of cheese which was why it attracted a wider audience than CLOY. Both DOTS and MLFTS attracted a huge young audience which CLOY can't reach as much because CLOY is simply a much more mature drama in comparison. DJG and Winter Sonata are another level. Dramas today still fail to catch up to these two and I don't really know how to capture them in words why they were that huge. Also, I think it should be noted that the SK-NK premise is a huge hindrance for CLOY to become bigger. Other popular k-dramas don't have this premise which is why we could see their effects on SK economy. Moreover, CLOY is unlucky to have a lot of odds against it such as coronavirus and with dramas like TWOTM that is already bigger in SK than CLOY just two months later, which minimizes CLOY's effect.

2 hours ago, binniejinniecultivator said:

I guess I have to say it again, your opinion, my opinion, whoever's opinion, on what is the "best K-drama ever" are all just opinions, NOT facts. So, saying that "CLOY are bigger than some of those dramas is just simply wrong..." is simply an opinion too. We all have opinions, if those websites, articles, magazines, etc. say that CLOY is the biggest K-drama, that is their opinion too but they have higher/wider platforms to share it with. But to ME, CLOY is soooo successful for this K-drama generation that it not just showed its "superbness" but also re-introduced some new international viewers to other K-dramas. Netflix is a big factor and all the right things that CLOY did. (no need to expound on this one)

Ma'am I'm just arguing against the point that the other user made about how CLOY is bigger than those K-dramas. I didn't mean any harm. Why would you go off-topic by saying that xx like CLOY better than another K-drama. That has nothing to do with how big some other K-dramas are. People have to be aware that just because a drama surpassed another drama in terms of VOD streaming, it doesn't mean it's bigger. Streaming is becoming mainstream, of course the numbers are going to be bigger as time goes by because more people using the platform. Goblin surpassed DOTS in terms of streaming too, but do you dare to say that Goblin was bigger than DOTS? You can go ask anyone who witnessed these first-hand and they would say no. DOTS still remains more iconic than both Goblin and CLOY until today. As someone who witnessed the hype of all these dramas first-hand, I just find it ridiculous to see someone saying that CLOY is biggest K-drama. If you guys can't handle this cold hard truth then ok. I know that many of you are new so I'm trying to at least tell you some history but if you are all so against me saying that, then I'm going to stop.

I do apologize again to everyone for discussing this topic in BinJin shipping thread. I'm aware that it's quite off-topic. @mods if you find my posts to be off-topic and rude in any way, please feel free to delete them :) This is my last post here in this thread. Happy shipping everyone. Please do so responsibly while you're at it as well because I can tell you that I've seen obsessive behaviors have led to most celebrity couples break ups in the past. I'm just going to ship them quietly on my own. Peace. 

• Like 4

Hello darlings!

I have been away, assimilated with real life (in a way), got back to my daily routine (albeit different given the restrictions), and watched other series as well. Went to read other drama threads today and thought I should say hi here, too!

What I learnt after watching other series and all are that one: Koreans love family drama / makjang / adultery drama (just look at how big The World of the Married is right now - as angsty as I am over the storyline but I ended up watching it anyway) and romcom is not everyone’s cuppa tea; and two: there are more variety of roles for senior actors nowadays (eg again, Married and also Hospital Playlist - 5 main characters are supposedly 40 years old and two of the leads are actually 40). So as much as chances for either HB or YJ to get as much roles to be played which suits their age now are low compared to say, when they were younger but with better writing from the writers nowadays I would say that there may be chances for them to get good roles next. I would want to see YJ playing something else which is not her usual forte ie melodrama, and HB more on action. Heck, if he plays a spy like James Bond I will watch too lol.

I would not get into the awards discussion because it’s getting old and it’s in the past - and as much as even I wonder why YJ is so quiet nowadays, realistically speaking, there may be few factors. As simple as she might have planned to travel at this juncture since it is spring time (even I do plan my travels in spring) but it all got halted due to Covid. Also, she might have to consider the roles she will play next: would it differ than those she usually takes on? Will those be challenging enough for her as an actress? And movie schedules are also halted due to Covid so it might not be materialized, if at all there are offers. Realistically speaking, that’s how I see it. Now is a good time for her to actually assess where her career is going now, and to chart what would her plan be next. Be it career or personal. There may be other factors as well, but I would rather not speculate anything because well, I’ll save that thoughts for fan fictions Hahahaha (I don’t even write one!). It’s her life after all, and she’s approaching 40 soon. It’ll be a different ballgame for actresses by that time.

I’m not worried too much for HB career-wise as the CFs and movie is still ongoing, and I have a feel he might consider more roles in action / drama genre in movies, with different set of characters. I like his thought process on the roles he take and how he will do it differently each time. 

To me, CLOY benefited from having it streamed on Netflix and it is seen all around the world :) Awards or not, being recognized for the drama is a big achievement, and to have their names and characters being loved so much across the world is oh-so-rewarding already as actors. Am just thankful that it’s a good drama for them both to wrap up their 30s. I agree in a way that it’s not completely Hallyu level somewhat but it certainly is buzzing very loudly!!!

As for ahem, personal things... I just wish them all the best. Being away makes me see things better and in the end, it takes two to tango, two to fall in love and two to take the next steps. Can’t be only one (and we don’t even know who what where how why lol hahahahaha). They have been blessed so much in this life thus far, and if there are more in store for them both together, may God and other deities bless them. At least I have to give it to them - both are naturally good looking, and if at all they got married and have a child, he/she will be gorgeous (her eyes and his dimples? Wow).

Will be away (again!) but some parting words (for now), ship them responsibly ok. Don’t hit the fourth wall, don’t impose whatever timeline in the minds on these two, and just let things happen naturally and organically somehow. Pray for them if that’s your thing - like saying 10 good things to a plant kinda thing (ok I can’t plant anything but you’ll get the drift ok?).

To all of you, happy shopping!

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I am new to this forum but may I take a chance to remind other users what shipping is about: 

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a romantic relationship.

to ship, to support or have a particular interest in a romantic pairing between two characters in a fictional series.

and this is a shipping forum!!!!!

It is our place to cheer for them, to share little moments of joy during their interactions and our insights about why they make the perfect couple. Even if our ship was groundless, it is in our right to still ship them. But we have prove of how close their are in real life we have prove of how much they appreciate and admire each other and most importantly how they have been responsible of the oposite person’s smiles and laughs. What  we mostly want is for them to be happy. 

With that said, I would appreciate if non shippers keep their opinions to themselves and rather not post in here. In this times of uncertainties ( regarding our health and safety with this pandemic going on) this forum has been our little escape paradise. And I don’t expect to find negativity even here. I do go against those fans who tag syj or v*st on social media but I don’t see why our forum should be a concern to some of you. 

We in here have whiteness their strong chemistry and if their love comes true to me it would be a proof that love and soulmates do exist.

Please do not post negative thoughts in here or unrelated post for other dramas or actors.  Ps. I would appreciate if these unrelated posts were deleted.

We are here to cheer for our binjin couple and for their success only!!!

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, blessedchild said:

But I personally think that it's popularity is not as huge as DOTS? Which really made me wonder why and why is it not as popular in China given its huge population? Anyone mind enlightening me as to why CLOY's wave is not as huge as DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata?

Lol I also agree with OP about CLOY's status among actually iconic dramas. I think people are being a little blinded by either how much they love HB, SYJ, or elements of the drama. The other dramas were mentioned in korean media for MONTHS, no, YEARS, after they finished airing. Keep in mind the world is in a lockdown right now  and sites like Netflix and news sources are leaping at the chance to promote shows and other things to help you pass the time. While CLOY is one of my favorite dramas, even more so than these iconic dramas, it did not have the same "phenomenon" they did.

1. Unfortunately because the issues South Korea and the rest of the world have with North Korea, likely prevented the show from being more popular. (Political issues, SK is immediately affected by anything NK does)

2. Unlikely to be recreated by other countries because they arent sharing a border with a communist country. DOTS had a huge impact because the plot was easy to relate to or imagine as nearly every country has a military.

3. Its almost May and while ratings wise the show did very well, it is getting close to being upstaged or already surpassed (by that show about marriage and spouses cheating? I dont remember the name because the genre doesn't interest me; IC was on its way to passing it if the plot didnt derail halfway).

4. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, disagree with calling CLOY a cultural phenomenon. I actually think this label is borderline insulting. North Korea is NOT South Korea and could you imagine telling a SK that a show about the love between a NK soldier and a SK chaebol is a cultural phenomenon? Youd either get laughed or sneered at. SK has different views regarding NK than the rest of the world.

5. To be a cultural phenomenon, the show would need to have some impact on the korean public, for example after DOTS there was a surge in enlistment 

6. It was aired on a cable network. Not everyone has Netflix either. Not everyone cares enough to put in the effort in finding pirated versions.  (I only know that DOTS was on a public network)

Honestly this discussion probably belongs in the CLOY thread and while I do love CLOY and am still having a hard time moving on from the romantic plot, theres no way the impact is on the same level as other dramas. That would be like thinking wwwsk is the best office romance ever made.  

Heres a cute photo thats been shared before but it makes me happy so Im posting it again.

[Drama 2019-2020] Crash Landing on you, 사랑의 불시착 - Page 405 - k-dramas & movies - Soompi Forums

1 hour ago, blessedchild said:

Hey everyone,

I am an avid CLOY fan here and honestly CLOY reignited my love for K-Stuffs. However, as much as I love CLOY, I think I personally agree (just my personal opinion) with the statements highlighted in red above.

Based on my observation, it seems like DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata have truly reached an iconic status of Korean dramas and their hallyu effects were phenomenal. I actually remember DOTS being really famous, like really famous even in China (I'm not from there but I remember its soaring popularity everywhere). The thing is I am not even a fan of DOTS, I tried watching it given that it's so famous but I gave up after the first episode and this has always made me curious as to why it's so popular.

On the other hand, I really really love CLOY and you have no idea how excited I get whenever someone watches CLOY.  But I personally think that it's popularity is not as huge as DOTS? Which really made me wonder why and why is it not as popular in China given its huge population? Anyone mind enlightening me as to why CLOY's wave is not as huge as DOTS, MLFTS, Dae Jang Gum and Winter Sonata?

I would of course be more than happy when CLOY's popularity soars to the extent where it reaches an iconic status. 

The difference is the dramas you mentioned were all-time classics within the k-drama audience group but CLOY hit it bigger outside the niche.

Non-k-drama audiences have never digged into any SK TV drama production like CLOY before. There was even coverage by media powerhouse like BBC and Association Press. They looked into more in-depth elements like the rationale behind the story, challenges of creating the NK sets, social and political interpretations of SK/NK relationship and more. I know people who are not interested in k-drama or even the whole romantic genre were also somehow attracted to finish off the whole series because of these elements. I have also watched a few shows on youtube of scholars discussing CLOY and thus the related NK topics such as social hierachy, black market, second economy, etc. in which k-dramas had never been viewed by audience from this perspective.

CLOY may not be on a par with the dramas like DOTS and MLFTS in terms of popularity but the influence outside the k-drama community is much bigger than the said dramas. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 3

36 minutes ago, chorong-i said:

We are here to cheer for our binjin couple and for their success only!!!

As this discussion has risen about CLOY being or not as popular and impactful as other dramas. 

In my opinion for this thread it is ok to cheer our couple’s drama achievement, it is ok for shippers to praise its success. But I don’t see the point of much elaborated posts on why other dramas are bigger. This is a shipping forum no one is trying to belittle other dramas and no one is interested on how popular they were in their time.

Please correct me if I am wrong. As said I am new to this forum and don’t know much about its rules this is just my  understanding.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

A lurker here, having CLOY fever, intrigued by #binjin, accessing all sort images/videos/updates/discussions available there on the internet regarding #binjin.

CLOY is the first K-drama that got me hooked from the first episode, binge-watching till the end. The rest of K-dramas, while very popular in my country, I just cannot go with them. But I love Korean movies though. That's where I knew Son Ye Jin all these years because her movies cemented in my heart.

What am I babbling? Guys, I keep refreshing this forum for the last 24 hours, but the discussion is on which drama is more popular? Just let it go, only time will tell. But the thing is, I don't know how to attach but have you guys access the IG account owned by crazylittlething218? The latest post, don't you want to discuss it? Keen on hearing your feedback regarding the vid, avid shippers! (Or did you guys already discussed this before? Sorry in advance)

P/s: somewhere up above, a said statement made by supposedly HB's close aide, dampened my spirit a bit. But guys, come on, shippers' paradise mode on please!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

We can go on and on about CLOY's popularity in comparison to other dramas, esp to DOTs due to the military similarities. I agree to some extent that CLOY is not on the same level of "iconic" status as others, but I wonder how much of that is due to people being less interested in K-dramas these days? If anything, CLOY reignited some of that interest. And also other things happening in the world overshadowed CLOY's attention. In the same time some highly rated dramas like Sky Castle (the most watched cable drama) also doesn't have an "iconic" aura around it. All I can say is, we have different measurements of the show's success. What Korean and international audience like can be very different, and of course the NK-SK story line is both a success and barrier. I guess for me, an international audience, it worked. For some SK audience, it didn't sit well. But it certainly worked for the 21.67% of cable audience. If CLOY was aired on a public network, I am more than sure the ratings would've been higher, probably 25-30+%. What I'm trying to do is refrain from using just one country or one region's reaction (or lack thereof) to the shows to measure their success. From what I've read on Chinese/Taiwanese/Hong Kong/English news, CLOY is talked about a lot. In my opinion, some other shows mentioned were more about confirming opinions, while CLOY was more about changing opinions, and changing opinions may not always be popular.

Anyways, back to BinJin shipping! 

• Like 9
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, PreciousByTheBay said:

So why am I here? Well, I can't claim to know anything substantial. I'm fairly new to SYJ and HB. All I can say is, while I do like to entertain fantasies in my head about them, the staying power of this ship in me is based on the following:

1. HB's displays and gazes of affection for SYJ that have easily been dissected and compared against his usual interaction with past female co-stars.:wub:

2. Her seven consecutive posts of him on Instagram when one, two, even four consecutive posts would have sufficed in promotions. - both my male and female bestfriend, not even my husband, had that much from me on social media. Lol

3. Los Angeles... no further explanation, there!;)

4. The agencies' denials that are comical at best when it came down to how they are worded (by profession, I used to be a communications trainer and I can say, for sure, at least when it came to the grocery shopping rumors, that is not how you word a denial)

5. Their "non-denial denial" during the CLOY presscon.:D

6. The battles (his agency) picked when it came to striving to quash rumors...

As for #6, maybe it's just me and my background but I guess I was never really used to managers or agencies having or needing to consider legal actions for rumors unless they are clearly defamatory.

Thanks for sharing your insight.  I am also a very logical person, but I'm here because of the observations you noted above.  :D

My personal opinion is that I think YJ has already a crush with HB prior to TN.  You know the usual crush.  She's attracted to his visuals.  So when they became closer during TN promo, our girl was not able to contain herself and posted 7 consecutive posts in IG!  :D

Being a logical person I am and being a lady as well, no matter how strong the wall you built on yourself (as I read that YJ's preference is not to date her co-star), with all the sweet gestures and good behaviors shown by HB, YJ's wall easily crumbled!  We've seen how the girly behavior of YJ in CLOY press conference.  Very different from her previous press conf.  The "girly" behavior of women only shows when you're with your "oppa".  :D

Let's continue to hope and wait for their big announcement.  But for now, I don't have a question in mind if they are dating.  I'm just waiting for their wedding announcement!

• Like 3
  • Love 15
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 3

46 minutes ago, aicila said:

Thanks for sharing your insight.  I am also a very logical person, but I'm here because of the observations you noted above.  :D

My personal opinion is that I think YJ has already a crush with HB prior to TN.  You know the usual crush.  She's attracted to his visuals.  So when they became closer during TN promo, our girl was not able to contain herself and posted 7 consecutive posts in IG!  :D

Being a logical person I am and being a lady as well, no matter how strong the wall you built on yourself (as I read that YJ's preference is not to date her co-star), with all the sweet gestures and good behaviors shown by HB, YJ's wall easily crumbled!  We've seen how the girly behavior of YJ in CLOY press conference.  Very different from her previous press conf.  The "girly" behavior of women only shows when you're with your "oppa".  :D

I'm definitely with you on everything! It takes two to tango, as they say, that's why I had to say that bit about her IG posts. It's impossible she had not noticed him before.

I'm also reminded of what I was taught in my high school/college years... the person who takes nearly every opportunity to either tease you or laugh at you only does so because of the defenses he or she has set for himself/herself. The teasing? The laughing? It could very well be that particular person's last line of defense in hiding his or her true feelings.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Kari said:

Okay, as for the statement made by the close aide, I know it's disappointing. But for me, I will pay attention to the interview videos, BinJin's interaction, the extent to which they know so much about each other, and of course, the grocery photos! BinJin, until this day, have not straight up denied the rumors. They have kept it ambiguous. They can't admit it yet but they don't want to lie either. I'm just imagining myself as this close aide. I'm being paid to speak for my boss. I'm getting annoyed being asked asked the same questions over and over but I still have to be very careful of what I say. If I say something wrong I might get reprimanded, so I'll just answer straight up deny the rumors so these pesky reporters would stop contacting me! But look back at the Swoon and CLOY BTS videos, HB does not look like the type to get frustrated by the rumors. He literally looks like he's in love. If anything, the answer the aide gave was his/her sentiment, not HB's. 

THIS! :thumbsup:

I remember a former professor of mine. She used to work as an editor for a big fashion magazine in SEAsia. I distinctly remember her telling me that even Q&As done by a writer with a celebrity, especially one that is controversial, are vetted before publication. That what the public sees is a hodge podge of truths, possibly some mistruths and exaggerations, written to fit a certain narrative.

Then there were the opportunities to talk to personal assistants of the couple I used to ship. I also got messages from people claiming they're acquaintances or neighbors of either of the two. At one point, I even got to talk to a co-star of theirs. Believe me when I say that sometimes, in one week, I'd hear of the same story with three or four different versions! I would also sometimes hear omitted or condensed versions of the same story!

So I was then told to be more observant of the body language of the persons in question behind the scenes, or during the times when they do not have to put a united front to cater to fans and a project's goals  -  whenever they're possibly most vulnerable for as long as we do not reach paparazzi levels in our actions.:sweatingbullets:

I was told that sometimes, there can be slips of the tongue and of action that are not part of the script  -  those are what I was told to watch out for and weigh against what they churn out in their press releases, media statements, even through professional industry insiders that directly speak to people to influence a narrative about the celebrities in question.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 4

They were exposed to dating news after TN promotion.

From OP said and the peak is LA Grocery. Not because of the romance drama they are playing. It doesn't make sense when people say they get carried away by romance because of drama.

And did you realize after CLOY ended SYJ was completely silent? Totally silent, even just an interview with a magazine. What happened?

• Like 5

@Kari: I just want to give a specific example for your imagination.  Remember Mr Hong (aka the close aide) from CLOY, how frustrated and embarrased he was to deal with questions from reporters about YSR's dating rumors. All of his reponses to the media were exactly the opposite to the stories behind. That's how the writer demonstrates for us to see how things work in real life :D 

• Like 4
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

To Believe or Not

If denials by the Agencies or Actors themselves, here and there, left and right, up and down, around and around, whether irresolute or firm are the “yardsticks” for reality then all the denials that have occurred over the years by different celebrities and their respective agencies were in fact absolutely true.

In Korean Culture, in terms of what they deemed as scandals, the tendency seems to deny, deny and deny some more. If this has become their custom in dealing with these “so called scandals” then why put so much “credence” on it? What is the value or worth of their words? How much weight does one need to put on it?

In my opinion, not much, if none at all, especially in the case of Hyun Bin and Ye Jin! How much proof does one need to see what is already in front of you to not discredit what they themselves have shown to the public? 

Please continue the fun! There are a lot more members now since I last logged in. It’s nice to see this forum being active. There’s nothing wrong with healthy discussions as long as each one is respectful of each other.

On a different note, please be safe where ever you are! In the crisis that we’re in, this place is much needed haven to unwind and even if it’s just for a moment remove our minds from what’s going on in the world.

:heart:

Edited by Magritte
  • Like 8
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 1

As desperate as I am for any HB and SYJ news (even just a crumb...), I believe that no news is likely good news. CLOY was such a whirlwind and brought them an insane amount of attention and speculation that they understandably retreated into a deep dark cave right afterward. Both seem to cherish their privacy, especially SYJ when it comes to her romantic life so I guess it should come as no surprise that we are in such a drought. But I will choose to believe that in this case, their experience working together and achieving such monumental success only strengthened what they already had and they are doing their darndest to protect it. 

• Like 6
  • Love 8