[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

@sadthe1st Exactly, he really is a doting son and I love him for it. He was so cute and patient during the entire time. The delivery of the scene was really just so realistic, funny and relatable all at once. We've had experience teaching modern games to my uncles and aunt and it's not an easy feat. :D

On a random note, I noticed no one has mentioned this in this thread but for Hospital Playlist, I think each of our characters have their own colors. At first, I didn't want to think too much of it since I just decided to enjoy the ride but after the release of today's OST, I think the color coordination is indeed real and has meaning. Heh. Their colors, so far, for me are as follows:

• Junwan - Orange
  • Seokhyung - Green
  • Ikjun - Yellow
  • Songhwa - Pink/Purple
  • Jungwon - Blue (some Korean viewers think it's white) but I think it's blue. The first OST was in blue and he's been wearing a lot of blue lately (his cap, apron and clothes)

The colors does keep recurring for the main cast which brings my attention to this,

92779390_180417139599667_776874005334537

I used to cross off Jungwon as Songhwa's partner and far-fetched (there were constant ringing inside my head but I ignored it because honestly, I'd prefer YYS' character to be happy than to go another round of Chilbong yet again) but I guess they do have a chance as well. I brushed off his strong attention to Songhwa on Episode 2 thinking it's just his nature but maybe those are hints already. Plus, the whole race Jungwon participated in was in Pink.

92708669_711846249557890_5140425131406917632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=e2YBBKsBC-0AX9ambqO&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-5.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=58f54d6f0d5d1120a28ce43abeaed0b5&oe=5EB41D56

93179152_224704495278110_4792281572088741888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=t6-BTzH7zPQAX9AZXiH&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-1.fna&oh=df7c5d45d7f25a04cd13008869e3fed0&oe=5EB4F31D

93136232_172570910492042_3233393539551330304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=Q5BxTWKe5zwAX-hu-fx&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_zor=9&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=2b7fa224887b191b903ad1873084cec4&oe=5EB55229

Edit: I was going through your posts and noticed the Pinkish Purple-Blue mixed hula-hoop in the background of Jungwon's time with the elders in their home.

From what I heard, color association was quite relevant in Reply 1988. Like I mentioned their dynamics with each other is almost a blank slate, they haven’t been paired off for an exclusive scene, at this point their personal connection are just the color association and the phone call. There's a minority of Jungwon x Songhwa supporters and although, I think Jungwon x Songhwa is likely to be just friends, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly tie them together.

Edited by habromanic
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 5

How could some of you think that Dr. Jang picking the maggots off the patient is her showing off a big gesture??? Clearly in that scene both Dr. Bae and the ER nurse were 'disgusted' at the scene and reluctant to get the maggots off the homeless patient's leg. If patients go to hospitals for help and if doctors are reluctant to help for whatever reasons, nothing else can get done. So Dr. Jang just simply came in and did what she thought was best for the patient at that time. She did not even hesitate at all. I'm not even saying this to put down Dr. Bae in any way. She had shown to be a very competent doctor as well, very competent AND thoughtful. 

Same situation with the abusive father case. Even though security was called, but if the culprit ran away, then what is the point and there is still brother twin kept captive in his house too. So Dr. Jang just did whatever she thinks is the best: trying to catch the culprit before he runs off. If you watch it again, she still did NOT even hesitate at all. 

I am personally fond of Dr. Jang for her social awkwardness in everything she does. I find it quite adorable. She knows and understands of her own shortcomings and she's just trying her best to change it to improve her patient care skills. Not everyone's work ethics can be humanitarian like Dr. Ahn or Dr. Bae or our favorite Dr. Lee Ik-Jun or our well-rounded cutiepie Dr. Chae SHwa ... As long as you're aware and put in the effort to improve yourself in what you do, that's what matter.. and that's what I see in Dr. Jang.

I also find her crush on Dr. Ahn quite cute. My favorite scene, like lots of you, is when he slid her the cookies/breads and caused her to almost choke :lol: I do see their couple potential but if they're not together in the end, I wont be mad either cuz I like Dr. Jang as she is, flawed, socially awkward, hardworking, kind, and human. ^_^ 

• Like 5
  • Love 9

9 hours ago, habromanic said:

@sadthe1st

From what I heard, color association was quite relevant in Reply 1988. There's a minority of Jungwon x Songhwa supporters and although, I think Jungwon x Songhwa is likely to be just friends, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly tie them together.

The colors mattered but the assignment of colors changed from time to time. (ex. Junghwan was color Green, but later on, Taek was identified with the color Green) As for the girls, Deoksun was consistently tied to color Yellow and Bora with Purple.

Jeong Won's number in the marathon was: 1808. 808 is the area code for Hawaii (Dial 1 + 808) Jun Wan & Jeong Won share a secret. (Photo as a bait?)

I also think that the majority ships Jun Wan x Song Hwa, Jeong Won x Song Hwa and Chi Hong x Song Hwa. The minority roots for Ik Jun x Song Hwa. :)

• Like 5

This show is akin to watching a masterpiece being gradually unveiled... a beautiful polished diamond with so many aspects  and depending where you shine the light... it reflects some insight into humanity. It's non-stop in terms of what one is able to glean from the frenetic moments where people teeter between life and death. The contrasts are always interesting. An ordinary close-knit family involved in a liver transplant versus the wealthier, political family who was trying to buck the system to do a transplant because the son was unwilling to be a donor. With Bin's family, dad is the reluctant recipient. We had the continuing saga of the abusive dad. Then there's the dad who wants the most expensive prosthetic valve on the market for his son despite the fact that they're living from hand to mouth. It's a quick bird's eye view of families in all their glory... warts and all.

Speaking of dysfunctional families, we saw more of the nastiness in Seok-hyeon's predicament. It does explain the cloud that hovers over him everywhere. I don't know about anyone else but I wasn't terribly impressed with Dad's mistress. If I had been confronted like-manner with that situation, I'd have dug my heels even further. Frankly I think Mum should move on. The situation seems to be beyond repair. But the overweening arrogance of "the other woman" is a very bitter pill to swallow. She's definitely playing up the "evil stepmother" stereotype. I expect that there will be more... much much more in that soap opera. Her intentions certainly need to be called into question surely. I wonder, for instance, if she's really pregnant. (I have to ask) If she is, is she weaponizing it for an ulterior purpose? Is she appealing to SH because he is an OBGYN? Why isn't the man at the centre of this fiasco doing his bit? Why now? Does money feature into things?

Of course not all families are in shambles. The visit to Rosa's place was gold. Absolutely gold. We had JW nagging his mother to eat better... I agree... supplements are no substitute for real foods, whole foods. :PPicking through anchovies brought back some childhood memories for me. Been there, done that with all kinds of dried products. Incidentally I've never been a fan of YYS but I really like him in this drama. He's quite adorable especially with his mother. The Mafia game had me in stitches. I don't think I stopped laughing the whole time. I found the bickering between Rosa and Mr CEO downright endearing. It was instructive that SH's mother was a part of the festivities and later reported that she had a great time. What's lovely is that the friendship of these 5 individuals have fostered these intra-family connections. In doing so, they have created a larger family with those on the periphery. I loved the ordinariness of this situation. All these wealthy, powerful individuals sitting in a circle playing a game with no care for title or rank. It was a beautiful... human moment of connection. This is how families are made and maintained. Blood seems irrelevant.

There's no doubt that the use of music in the drama is one of the main highlights of the drama. I was just thinking that JJS really needs to cut an album after this. Maybe a couple of duets with the Missus as well. Both are undoubtedly fantastic singers. Today's highlight was the classically trained singing father who burst into song after the baby's delivery. It was such a magical moment. Reminded me of how Mandy Patinkin was in Chicago Hope.

I had a feeling about Song-hwa some weeks ago when she was massaging her neck. I mentioned it on this thread as well that I sensed something ominous in the wings for her. It was obvious to me then that she was burning both sides of the candle and truth is... something's got to give. I've lived her life to some degree except with kids so I have crashed and burnt more than once. I sincerely hope that it's nothing too serious but the writing was on the wall.

Maybe it's his personality but Ik-jun's ability to bounce back after his divorce is quite remarkable. Perhaps it's because there's not a lot... lifestyle wise... that's different for him. They've been living apart for a while now. And he has his job that keeps him busy. Moreover he still has U-ju. It might be different if his ex decides to fight for full custodial rights. I very much enjoy the way he works his charm on everyone from his little boy to his colleagues and patients. It's not a disingenuous glibness either. He really does care and so it comes off amusing rather than weasley. Clearly he was born to be a clinician. In addition to his myriad of qualities, I quite enjoy his quid pro quo mentoring relationship with Dr Maggot. He seems to be largely a positive influence on her development as a clinician if that's the route she takes. But as @bedifferent has noted, she seems to lack passion and drive. Although I have to say that the patient chase around the hospital showed another side to her. :P

I wonder too @bedifferent if the drama is trying to give us another kind of character that doesn't naturally gravitate towards clinical practice. Someone with the academic credentials, does her due diligence but isn't blessed with clinical instincts. She's being routinely contrasted with Dr Bae who seems to be the perfect fit and is on top of everything. This has nothing to do with romance but diversity of personality types that work in the hospital. Some people are harder work than others in specific areas. Along those lines, I was also thinking about Dr Do who isn't exactly a star in the cardiothoracic surgical team... and I also wonder why he chose that field because he doesn't automatically seem like the right fit... but he has decent people skills even if something of a skinflint. 

I didn't really understand Seong-hwa's reaction to Capt Ahn's confession. I didn't get the feeling that she was outright rejecting him. But he seemed to think she had. I suppose her cutting him off was a sign to him at least that the conversation was over. Whatever it was... I felt that the entire scene was incomplete... or that something was missing.

Anyhow he's done his bit. Let's see what ensues.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

What if we have a poll in this thread about who ends up with whom? There are just so many ships in this show right now, it would be fun to know which ship has the most support. Haha. With the hope that it won't cause fanwars

It is like maths , so many possibilities  :joy:. I won’t even know what love lines to set. 

Personally , I’m happy that the drama is not developing  any love lines btwn the 5 , at least for now . I prefer it that way. Their friendship is precious & I feel that it may change the dynamics of their relationships with each other if any of them paired up .  I don’t mind the possibilities of them pursuing relationships out of their circle . It adds layer to the story . i confessed I squealed hard when oppa ( mr dongsaeng killer , those who saw Prison Playbook would remember why :lol:) very smoothly asked her out  . She may not reciprocate immediately, but I hope it gets developed this season 

And the actress playing Dr Jang , really scored big on taking on this role , considering how much discussion is generated here for a supporting character . This I suppose is the power of this PD & writer’s drama - where supporting characters get a chance to shine & the actors go on to bigger roles . 

Anyway , last night’s episode was another enjoyable watch .  One of the fun scenes was the Mafia game....anyone here shipping Andreas’ mum & the hospital director? The two are adorable. I get why the drama is getting the ratings & the buzz that it is . These days , given everything that’s happening IRL , this drama gives hope in a setting that can be very stressful & depressing. 

So I trust everyone here would be kind & gentle in how you write . I am all for different opinions but let’s make sure not to take things personally & try to see the other person’s POV .RL is hard enough.... 

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

# have I told you I like you ? Go out with me :love:

15864507171586450706.gif

Smooth, Oppa... smooooooth... :glasses:

I think he has been harboring a crush on her since they were younger.

9 hours ago, kokodus said:

Jeong won specifically ignoring Dr. Jang itself should mean something, right? I think he is hiding something. I can't quite read his expression. Either he is sooooo mad at her or he is just slowly falling for her and is in denial stage right now. It's hard to tell. I wouldn't have suspected anything if he said something to her after that chase scene. Ignoring her feels like he is giving more importance to her.....

Like @Kaizen68 said, I actually think he is in denial too... Well, boy probably never ever liked any girl before in his life, right? I can't remember the friends ever mentioning him dating. His focus has always been to be a priest. This could be the first girl that sparked interest in him, starting from maggots harvesting scene. He doesn't know how to acknowledge her because he is foreign to this feeling and probably not realizing it yet. He has probably never mind any girl before, thus friendly and nice to everyone, but he minds that this particular girl is this way and that way, and he couldn't bring himself to be friendly and nice to her. Anyway, I do think they're being paired up in the story telling, whether an end game or not, I don't mind/care either way. But someone has got to stop Jwon from being a priest and remain a doctor, no?? I remembered reading one of the character descriptions that Jang has a background in track and field, and we know that  Jwon likes to run in marathon. Can that be a tie? Haha, I am only interested in this pair tbh... Okay, Jwan and Ik-sun too... LOL, he only asked two out of the many martial arts out there, Taekwondo and Judo, and those two happened to be the ones Ik-sun got lowest degree on, LOL... Btw, I love to see how comfortable Jang becomes when she talks to Ik-jun.

Wave back to @bedifferent... Always love being in the same thread as you, especially a medical one ;)

• Like 4
  • Love 6

@habromanic I think the marathon Jeong won went is also for breast cancer. Pink ribbon is for breast cancer. So it links directly to song hwa having symptoms of breast cancer. And if we were to believe the preview, it seems like he is the only one who noticed that there is something wrong with her. There is definitely a hope for that ship but I wouldn't bet my money on it. Haha. 

I noticed Jun Wan's colour. His scenes with Ik sun are always set in a nice sunset background. And his guitar colour is orange too. Maybe it's because he is bright and sunny like a ball of sunshine. Ok I just heard what I said. He is exactly opposite of that. Hahaha. I don't know why they gave him orange. LOL. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

For some reason I didn't find Ik-sun kicking Jun-wan all that funny. It wasn't something that stayed with me like the Mafia Game. Maybe it seemed quite obvious that it was coming from the way the whole thing was set up. Or maybe I found it overly choreographed. All I thought at the time was, "You were asking for it buddy..."

But there's no doubting JKH's knack for slapstick. ;)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mouse007 said:

The phone call between Seok-hyung's mom and Seok-hyung as she was leaving, when she says it's the first time she's laughed like that in a long time... that was so beautiful to me. I don't think it necessarily says that it is better to move on but rather, that the end of her marriage isn't the end of her happiness and that she will, one day, find reasons to laugh and be happy again. I love that scene too because of the fact that all of them (with the exception of the director - can't remember his name) have lost their spouses. So to have each other to lean on and move forward together is really something.

YES :D I also thought there was a big difference in the way JWon and Seok-Hyeong "baby" their mothers.  Both women have lost their husbands. Mrs Jeong admitted her marriage was of convenience, absent of romantic love from her side.  Mrs Yang discovered her marriage was loveless as she was betrayed by her husband.  The sons tried to make up for the loss of their fathers for both women in their own ways.  Seok-Hyeong tries to stand in for his father and compensates the companionship his mother needs, he suffocates her with his concerns and presence.  He's consumed by this guilt that he was not around to help her at the start of the affair so he devotes his life to take care of her, eventually destroyed his own marriage because of it.  But it is Mrs Yang, like all mothers, who understands that Seok-Hyeong needs to live his own life and have a family of his own to take care of. Seok-Hyeong needs to learn to move on and come to term with his feelings toward his father.  I was struck on how Seok-Hyung appreciates the husband's singing for his wife, being a divorcee and coming from a broken family.  He was reminded that true pure love exists. 

Unlike SK, Jwon lets his mother dictates her loss and maps out her own way of living.  I know their circumstances are very different; doesn't stop me from adoring their mother son relationship.  He recognizes that she too needs to have a productive life with thriving friendships outside of her own family like he does with his own band friends.  Jeong-Won is very in tune with people's sufferings :D  God knows if this is why he thinks he's destined to be a priest.  There's a lot to be said about living your life in the moment instead of dying in the past... something Mrs Yang discovered she can beginning to in this episode.  I'm glad she can smile and laugh again over silly things.   That said, why the names Rosa and Andrea? :lol:

Ik-Jun continues to be my favorite character in the show.  JJS is simply brilliant, funny, so likable in this role.  He sings so well!  The scene of him eating while JWan fixing his face with ointment is hilarious!!! Love the use of mirror there.  Poor Song-Hwa, she has an irregular lump in her breast and has done the biopsy work up.  For someone who is a workaholic, a serious health scare will force her to reanalyze her priorities.  Look like she needs to learn to open up and allows others to see her being vulnerable for once.

Ik-Sun/JWan is the cutest couple even if the love velocity is super fast.  I'm not convinced fully of why he fell for her though we know JWan is easily fan struck. JKH needs to do more romcom!

@40somethingahjumma  I agree with what you wrote about mirroring the cases. We have a VIP client who easily find his way to better health by paying for his liver against the poor construction worker who made the difficult financial sacrifice for his son's heart valve.  Let's not forget about how torn another father was to receive the liver transplant from his daughter, weighing her health against his own.  There are genuine love and affection among among family members displayed in this episode vs the last for sure.

About Dr. Jang, my impression is that Jeong-won was a little disappointed she didn't resort to her abilities as a physician to bring charges against the abuser.  Her heart was in the right place; I don't fault her for it.  IMO, Jeong-won would be more impressed if she has made the right clinical decisions and diagnosis like Dr. Bae.  It's her decision making that turns him off though not enough to dismissed her from scrubbing in the case.  I think this drama uses Dr. Jang to counterpoint the fab five.  Against their brilliant models of a physician is this mousy surgeon who apparently is doing more things wrong than right.  Someone who is ordinary, awkward, more common IRL than the likes of Song-Hwa or JWan.  She's a balancing act of all different personalities.  If we are talking about Hospital Playlist being where the extraordinary happens to the most ordinary people, Dr Jang is surely one.

• Like 9
  • Love 6

Mafia game again.

Jeong-Won trying to explain the game the first time. His mother: "I am Mafia".  You don`t have to say it out loud. :lol:

Ju Jong-Su addapted very well. I knew he is "Mafia"  and Jeong Won approaves that he played well but Rosa doesn`t: "You  deceive a 65 years old friend? Bang! :w00t:

Seok-Hyeong`s mom: I am not Yakuza. :D She is like Audrey Hepburn, very stylish. "I am casual". The others thinking: This is casual to you? 

The writer is brilliant. That`s how you bring humor naturally. I could imagine just fine this scene in everyday life.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

Reading all your comments of this episode, I find so much POV and I like it. 

I like IkSun, but I don't think she likes JunWan as a man. I think she likes him as an Oppa, like her Oppa, Ikjun. And like some of you, I don't see this couple will last. As Ikjun said before, JunWan relationship was never longer than 3 months. And I don't see JunWan treats her differently than his ex girlfriends. I mean, if he really likes her in a serious way, he should take more time to make her see his feeling. But maybe it will not happen for JunWan character hehe. 

And as JungWon said, he is been single for too long. haish.

I really want to know SongHwa and Junwan family. SeokHyeong and JungWon families are getting better despite all the problems, especially Mrs. Yang. I hope she will get to laugh more with these new friends. 

I think SongHwa mother is a good and caring mother and I can tell that she will be so shock and sad if she knows that SongHwa is sick. I want to see SongHwa get the strength from her family, and not just her friends. I mean I like them to support her during her medication, but I also hope her family is there for her too. And I don't know where they live but is the place SongHwa refers to in the preview is her hometown? We'll see it later. I hope SongHwa will get well soon. I can't see her sad face. :(

I really really hate the mistress of SeokHyeong father. I will really hate her even more if she lied about her pregnancy. She has no heart to speak like that to SeokHyeong and try to get help from him. I hope she will get something to learn from life in the future. And I hope SeokHyeong father get it too. :angry:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, maggiee said:

As Ikjun said before, JunWan relationship was never longer than 3 months. And I don't see JunWan treats her differently than his ex girlfriends.

I don`t think he said that Jun Wan`s relationship last 3 months. It is that he can`t resist three months without a girlfriend. His friends suspected that he is courting another girlfriend because of that. I don`t know if they will be a couple but I think they are compatible. JMO.

And their moment are sweet and funny. So far, they are friends but let see if their friendship became a romantic relationship.

Jun-Wan and Jeong-Won are opposites. One is looking for a girlfriend the other doesn`t want a girlfriend. :D

stills

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

List of ships in hospital playlist

1. Kim Jun wan/ Chae Song Hwa

2. Captain Ahn Chi Hong/Chae Song hwa

3. Lee Ik Jun /Chae Song hwa

4. Ahn Jeong won/ Chae song hwa

5. Yang Seok hyeong/Chae song hwa

6. Kim Jun wan/Lee Ik sun

7. Ahn Jeong Won/Jang Gyeo Wool (Dr. Maggot)

8. Ahn Jeong won/Bae Jun hee (ER resident)

8. Ahn Jeong Won/The Lord ( LOLOL) 

9. Lee Ik Jun/ Jang Gyeo ul

10. Lee Ik Jun/ Go Ara

11. Yang Seok Hyeong/ Chu Min ha (Obgyn resident)

12. Captain Ahn Chi Hong/ Lee Ik sun

13. Chairman Ju Jung Su/ Madam Rosa

14. Lee Woo Joo(Uju)/ Mo Ne 

This is for the poll guys, have I missed anyone???? You guys can add if anyone else comes to your mind. 

@Lmangla @Sushimi

• LOL 12

51 minutes ago, larus said:

I don`t think he said that Jun Wan`s relationship last 3 months. It is that he can`t resist three months without a girlfriend. His friends suspected that he is courting another girlfriend because of that. I don`t know if they will be a couple but I think they are compatible. JMO.

And their moment are sweet and funny. So far, they are friends but let see if their friendship became a romantic relationship.

Jun-Wan and Jeong-Won are opposites. One is looking for a girlfriend the other doesn`t want a girlfriend. :D

The caption said: 

Ikjun: How come he can't date longer than 3 months?

And in episode 1, SongHwa asked JungWon if JunWan is not break up yet? I think they assume that JunWan relationship will not longer than 3 months. 

And look at his character description before: 

"But the problem is he can’t date for a long time!"

I think someone in this forum posted the description before. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, maggiee said:

The caption said: 

Ok. When I watched the episode I understood another thing. I should pay more attention to dialog. :phew:

I think Jun Wan has to meet the right girlfriend to date for more than three months. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, maggiee said:

The caption said: 

And in episode 1, SongHwa asked JungWon if JunWan is not break up yet? I think they assume that JunWan relationship will not longer than 3 months. 

And look at his character description before: 

"But the problem is he can’t date for a long time!"

I think someone in this forum posted the description before. :D

Yes Jun wan does have a history of many short term relationships. But as @40somethingahjumma said in one post before, it's not because he is a player. It's because he is a perfectionist. His ex girlfriend we saw in the first two ep was an alcoholic. Same way I think none of the his peevious relationships worked because of something or the other. Most girls can't stand his strict personality either from what I see. 

But Ik sun is different. He seems to be completely smitten by that girl. When you are in love, you don't see their shortcomings, you only see their good side. Not saying that Ik sun has any shortcomings, she seems to be perfect in every way to my eyes. I just feel like they fit together nicely. I definitely think that they will start dating and they will stay together unless Iksun herself dumps him. There is no way Jun wan is leaving her. He has completely fallen for her. I mean even after you get kicked in the face, you go after her that should mean something, right? LOL. By the way that high kick scene reminded me of BOF/Meteor garden. Hahahaha. Right, @mouse007?? Every great love story starts with a flying kick. LOL. 

• Like 8