[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

33 minutes ago, Kaizen68 said:

I think I have mentioned it before. Lol. I am even laughing at myself when I started to theorizing things  :lol: 

No mockery from me. ;) You both have valid things to say and big imaginations. ;) I'm not a big fan of Ik-jun or Song-hwa ships in general... but it doesn't mean there's no validity in pairing him with Song-hwa. 

My personal view is that Ik-jun is really content to be a single dad. He gets a lot of love and satisfaction out of that. I don't think he's looking elsewhere just yet. In general he does an excellent job taking care of people. He's superb at it. He looks after everyone from U-jun, his sister to Dr Maggot to Song-hwa. Even his resident that was struggling with the liver transplant. That's the role he largely occupies at present and I'm content with that.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I get it now why Dr Jang is a target for some here. It's all about shipping.She's unworthy of Jeong won unlike a certain someone. Jeong-won is put on a pedestal as being perfect, generous, mature, considerate in short as his nickname "Buddha". I sincerely hope that Gyeo wool wont change to be considered worthy of JW. I want her to become strong, wise and strive in her work. If JW doesn't appreciate her real, imperfect, flawed character. So be it. She doesn't need to try to become someone else to get his attention. No one worth is found in a man. No one is perfect. No relationship is perfect. In a relationship, people fill in each other imperfections. Dr Jang Gyeo wool is imperfect but she's perfectly enough. 

Dr Jang Defense Squad.

• Like 8
  • Love 10

To everyone who curious about Jeongwon - Songhwa, maybe you can check this twitter thread.

Not saying that Jeongwon - Songhwa will become OTP, but I think this thread can show subtle hints about their dynamic since only both of them who not have exclusive scenes yet till Ep 6 :)

https://twitter.com/yuljenobody/status/1252288991266615296

• Like 4

Finally a day away from Episode 7. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Anyway, I love the interesting contrast portrayed between Resident Jang and Songhwa the last episode in terms of maturity in romance,

93990104_531297484199590_238477532976906

94078424_543924953187605_456117425238389

• Even with a simple, casual text, Jang is instantly swayed. There hasn't been any disclosure of her experience in crushes and romance but I guess even at her age, Jungwon must have been her first crush. She's giddy, shy and excited around him. Her feelings for Jungwon is your usual high school crush type of admiration; naive and pure. The slightest attention from Jungwon is enough to shake her world. I'm positive Jungwon is a good influence on her in the professional front. I think she's robotic in terms of profession and she wears her heart on her sleeves in terms of love. So, yes. She can be both. I'm really looking forward to Jang's growth as a doctor too. I would have loved to see how she handled the conversation with Jia's mom. It's unfortunate they didn't show it.

94030449_637539770309034_1649200259785555968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_eui2=AeG6z8jWghinPDYETBXtrLxrzbhxmLXSHvrNuHGYtdIe-mumRyaQtoHnUikUzDcBqvfm7iEvA0uzihEESBhMxbZx&_nc_ohc=PeDfwnc7D0gAX8D43bJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-6.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=384d330cc1e219c729d12cf02b860e75&oe=5EC4E197

94235864_647314172516020_4849032993605419008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_eui2=AeGmIzjk9EKnF-e1NjBLr9NoJ_HYB5p0Vx8n8dgHmnRXH5SeAPB75f_Pyz_EWXSigCK8J5zDEJIs3Ra0afGsqSxJ&_nc_ohc=1BC8Fl9TlsgAX-2hi1h&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-3.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=fb7f9885b20fd9006b552ea939ce4ad4&oe=5EC48B13

• Then we have Songhwa who had Ikjun come at her check up and go as far as softly proclaim his vow of saving her in case in turns out bad (he honestly sounded like was professing his love to me) but even then, Songhwa, albeit touched, took his words in a professional angle. She took the usual romantic moment we see in Korean dramas as the opportunity to put herself in the shoes of her patients, magnifying both her compassion and empathy for them whilst assessing her own aptitude and responsibility as a doctor. At one point, she actually sounded like she was giving Ikjun some advice. I really love how non-romance centric Songhwa's character has been so far. Viewers may have started shipping her with characters from the show left and right but so far, her arcs and personality have showed romance is not as integral as her profession in her life. This was verbally expressed too in Episode 2.

Anyhow, there has been a lot of talks about Jang in the previous posts. So, I'm gonna take this chance to celebrate Songhwa's character.

ETfd7YYU8AALTkP?format=jpg&name=large

Songhwa is the first female genius protagonist Lee has written. I love how they portray her as a strong, independent, compassionate and driven. There has been a pool of strong, close-to-perfect female leads in Korean Drama and I'm happy Lee decided to have one at her latest work. Songhwa is her first main female lead that is as flawless (if not better) as her male counterparts. Her only quirk is her tone-deaf singing but apart from that, by Dr. Bong's words, in a nutshell, she doesn't have a weakness. I'm so happy with how she handled her breast cancer scare. She took matters on her own, fearlessly took tests without anyone and confided with her friends later on when she already settled everything. Gotta say, I'm looking forward with how she will handle devastating cases in the series, she's yet to have one so far. Her professional conflict has only been the case with the Good Samaritan where she humbly and needlessly found a way through his surgery to secure his life. Inevitably, we will encounter how she is as a woman in love too. She's been cold in the romantic front with the way she has rejected Captain Ahn and Seokhyung and normalize things with them right after and gotten over her cheating ex like it didn't matter. Sure, there are bits of clear adoration coming from her towards Ikjun but I need to see the complete narrative before I draw a perspective right there. Can't wait to see more of Songhwa in the coming episodes!

I've seen some dialogues about watching the series by face value and hint-hunting. It's fun to watch while doing both. I put value and weight in the dialogues the same time I involuntarily (Shin PD and Writer Lee viewer habit) notice clues and entertain theories to draw inferences about the future direction of the show. The Shin-Lee duo is never the what you see is what you get type of creators. If you read interviews and watch their drama production process, they put so much detail into their work to the point that their actors are not allowed to adlib because they put meaning even at the smallest discourse and gesture they include in the drama and that when everything is finally cleared in the end, you can always look back and see traces of their planned narratives in their props and set-ups. They know how to deviate from the usual romantic set-up we see on screens (sometimes a bit too much for my own liking) and I admire them for that. All in all, it's amazing how they're able to pull up diverse reactions, discourses, opinions and perspectives from viewers. That's part of their charm and reason why their works are always talked about. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 4

@habromanic I love your analysis! Do you have links to translated articles that discussed Shin PD and Writer Lee’s production process in the past?

Huge reason why I love their dramas is just how meticulously created they are. Viewers can derive certain theories that no matter how absurd they might sound, they wouldn’t be impossible because you know how this duo’s attention to detail is just unparalleled.

You might be interested in these fanmade Hospital Playlist badges! Preorder ends tomorrow 

• Like 2

@habromanic

I agree with your excellent analysis of both women and your comment that there are certainly layers to this drama. It's nice to have an unbiased perspective always. I personally feel the same way about Song-hwa and romance. She seems pretty happy with her own skin and with her own company.

However my contention has always been it's not that there are no bread crumbs to be found but the hunt for the breadcrumbs overrides what is sometimes pretty straightforward stuff. Some things about the drama have to be true on the surface otherwise it becomes a free-for-all nihilism. Our sense of reality about this universe has to begin somewhere. It can't start with complete suspicion and a blanket acceptance that most things can't be believed.

From my experience with Prison Playbook I was ready to accept that what you see the first time isn't entirely what takes place. It was done really well and convincingly but I never once thought... "that came from nowhere" which is how I feel about some of the theories floating around. We see some of that already in this drama. In the first episode, hiding the identity of the hospital heir... the religious celibate siblings tottering out one at a time... that's the charm of PD Shin's particular style of storytelling. We knew from the first episode that not everything is immediately obvious. It's a given.

The main issue really has to do with how the romance is handled here. This is where the real controversies are. We accept everything else almost at face value unless told otherwise except the romance. Why? Is it really because of the storytelling or is it because of individual biases? That's why I threw out the ridiculous example of Jun-wan pretending to be in love with Ik-sun to hide his real feelings for another. How far do we take this "what you see is not necessarily all there is"? Even PD Shin and the writer has a limit to what he does with that. There still has to be an internal logic that needs to be satisfied. Of course I could already see that Jun-wan liked Ik-sun the first time we saw her. So he going out to see her at base camp was hardly surprising to me.

• Like 9
  • Love 4

24 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

From my experience with Prison Playbook

Prison Playbook was not done by this pairing (someone pointed that out to me earlier)?   Writer was different. Lee created it but someone else wrote the script. Same PD though.  Reply series is the same duo as this drama.  Probably explains the differences in interpretations of how this drama is playing out?  I agree wholeheartedly with @habromanic with regards to how detailed this duo are.  Devil’s in the details. 

• Like 4

@dairymilks Hi! Sorry no links I have in store. :tears: The interviews I've read were dated back in 2015 and beyond (Reply Series days) and were mostly quoted in twitter which were Naver articles. I don't think I've ever come across formal translations coming from sites. I'll try to actively look for something and get back to you though.

@40somethingahjumma  Watching is subjective. I don't think we should really put standards on how viewers should perceive the creators' work. I think there's nothing wrong with making sense out the smallest things possible with the same way some folks disregard where they're coming from. All of these perspectives are just as viable as the other. As long as the viewers don't push their predictions, opinions and observations as truth, then it's just harmless fun.

Prison Playbook is not exactly my-go-to reference with HP because it came from an entirely different writer. In the first two weeks, I really thought Lee took some notes from Jung in the aspect of romantic writing but here we are in 7th week and everything is still going around with the ambiguity they've set. :sweatingbullets: The stark similarities that PP and HP share are the directing style, mini-arcs coming from supporting characters and nature of chronological story-telling. They're from the same directors, yes. But we have to keep in mind that the think tanks are the writers and the director's role is doing the magic of translating those ideas into moving pictures. As someone who have watched both HP and Reply, I can say HP reminds me of Reply more so than PP (which makes sense because they were written by the same person).

Hint-hunting has always been part of Shin-Lee's works because they like subtle references, like I said they're really meticulous with details. Even with Go Ara's cameo, they managed to squeeze in some of subtle references just by the script she held. Nothing wrong with that because when their guesses and observations turn out wrong, then people just move on. As someone who has seen the Reply series and watched it real-time, I understand where the fans are coming from. They dropped a twist on the middle of the series but when it ended, everyone suddenly noticed the clues going around in the background. I think some fans are just trying to see if they can weather Lee and Shin's direction this time or not. I think the problem here, even with Reply back then, is really the shipping culture. :sweatingbullets: Viewers all have the same opinion on the narratives of camaraderies, family and clinical stories but mostly are in conflict with romance because of the shipping culture. That has always been Shin-Lee's style and even with the exchange we're having right now. It's evident that they're still doing it. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

@im0202 Omg thank you for the translations in that video. It's soooo funny. The way oppa says Glucocorticoids.... Hahahaha. I like how he is super bubbly and excited in all of these interviews. Never a dull moment. And that totally unexpected Saranghamida Netflix at the end. Yoo Yeon sook's reaction after he said that....hahaha. 

• LOL 2

25 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@im0202 Omg thank you for the translations in that video. It's soooo funny. The way oppa says Glucocorticoids.... Hahahaha. I like how he is super bubbly and excited in all of these interviews. Never a dull moment. And that totally unexpected Saranghamida Netflix at the end. Yoo Yeon sook's reaction after he said that....hahaha. 

Lol Netflix is so lucky, both YYS and JKH professed their love:lol:

Yeah they were whack during the game... YYS was so competitive it was so funny. And Mi-Do was just having fun laughing at all their antics, she’s too cute. 
I want them to play Jenga on The Swoon lol. Should be a fun one:joy:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, im0202 said:

Lol Netflix is so lucky, both YYS and JKH professed their love:lol:

Yeah they were whack during the game... YYS was so competitive it was so funny. And Mi-Do was just having fun laughing at all their antics, she’s too cute. 
I want them to play Jenga on The Swoon lol. Should be a fun one:joy:

Jenga would be great. Jenga can be played with more than two people? Mido is having the time of her life stuck between these 4 clowns. LOL.

Love your dp btw. Hehehe. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

OSEN | 2020. 04. 22. 2:04 AM

Doctor duo Jung Kyung Ho and Jo Jung Suk show intimate photo as in "Hospital Playlist"

03E8512D-3BBD-41A4-903A-7133D7441AAC.jpg

Actor Jung Kyung Ho has revealed a warm selfie photo with Jo Jung Suk.

On April 21, Jung Kyung Ho uploaded a photo with the hashtag "#Hospital_Playlist" on his personal Instagram.

In the photo, Jung Kyung Ho and Jo Jung Suk are together looking straight into the camera lens. The written words "Hospital Playlist ♡" by Jung Kyung Ho and the polaroid-like photo have attracted viewers' attention.

In particular, because the two are playing close friends in ''Hospital Playlist'' (tvN), they also exude a strikingly intimate atmosphere off-screen, making fans of the two actors excited and show warm responses after seeing this image.

Jung Kyung Ho and Jo Jung Suk are, in turn, starring in the drama ''Hospital Playlist'' as doctors Kim Jun Wan and Lee Ik Jun.

OSEN = Reporter Kim Eun Ae /misskim321@osen.co.kr
Photo = SNS of Jung Kyung Ho
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, habromanic said:

Hint-hunting has always been part of Shin-Lee's works because they like subtle references, like I said they're really meticulous with details. Even with Go Ara's cameo, they managed to squeeze in some of subtle references just by the script she held. Nothing wrong with that because when their guesses and observations turn out wrong, then people just move on. As someone who has seen the Reply series and watched it real-time, I understand where the fans are coming from. They dropped a twist on the middle of the series but when it ended, everyone suddenly noticed the clues going around in the background. I think some fans are just trying to see if they can weather Lee and Shin's direction this time or not. I think the problem here, even with Reply back then, is really the shipping culture. :sweatingbullets: Viewers all have the same opinion on the narratives of camaraderies, family and clinical stories but mostly are in conflict with romance because of the shipping culture. That has always been Shin-Lee's style and even with the exchange we're having right now. It's evident that they're still doing it. :sweatingbullets:

Couldn’t agree more with @habromanic

Thank you for explain the style of duo Lee-Shin perfectly.

From Ep 1, I already can sense the vibe of Reply series from this drama, and yes, you cannot compare it with Prison Playbook because PP is from different writer.

My kind advice, it’s OK to search for hints/clues for fun, but please do not downgrade any characters (I personally don’t agree with the hate posting here about Dr. Jang).

You can ship your own OTP without making other OTPs look bad.

And try to not too invest with your ship because this duo are famous with the unexpected twist (I have got my lesson in Reply series).

Once you can watch with open-minded view, you will truly get the beautiful messages that this Duo try to deliver :)

As example, many people said Reply 1988 has the worst ending, but personally this series is my most fave among Reply series, because this drama was really shining in family-theme arc (like Deoksun’s middle-child syndrome, Bora’s awkward relationship with her Dad, Junghwan’s silence love for his family, etc). Aside from shipping wars, the family stories in this drama can made me cried and gave the lingering feelings in my heart.

If you can watch this drama not only focused in shipping view, you will enjoy this Duo’s work style :)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, LovelyLady said:

I get it now why Dr Jang is a target for some here. It's all about shipping.She's unworthy of Jeong won unlike a certain someone. Jeong-won is put on a pedestal as being perfect, generous, mature, considerate in short as his nickname "Buddha". I sincerely hope that Gyeo wool wont change to be considered worthy of JW. I want her to become strong, wise and strive in her work. If JW doesn't appreciate her real, imperfect, flawed character. So be it. She doesn't need to try to become someone else to get his attention. No one worth is found in a man. No one is perfect. No relationship is perfect. In a relationship, people fill in each other imperfections. Dr Jang Gyeo wool is imperfect but she's perfectly enough. 

Couldn't agree more. As much as I want Jeong Won and Gyeo Wool to be together, I love Gyeo Wool's character more as an individual. Even if Shin-PD and Writer-Lee didn't make her fall for Jeong Won, I could totally see myself rooting in her character. She might get viewers' attention because she falls for Jeong Won, but she's already an interesting person even before she said she likes Jeong Won (She's a daughter of 13 doctors which made us think, she must be a very reliable person). Sometimes, I also wish to be like Gyeo Wool, who doesn't really bother much about her appearance but still strives in her work. I was thinking Korean dramas need to create this kind of character more as it is more relatable to everyone. And even she's in her path for rejection and heart-broken. So be it. I believe she would be fine and still strong in her own way.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kiefshi1056 said:

maybe that Writernim, PDnim, Directornim are planning on something for season 2, they might be married couple already in season 2

I personally would be glad to see one of the fab5 get married and have healthy couple relationship [definitely not the one between Ik-jun and now his ex-wife] by mid-season 2. It would be interesting and insightful to see how a busy, accomplished surgeon can balance his/her work, family life and friendly relationships well.

15 hours ago, prenchpries said:

Hi guys! Told myself not to watch any on going series/drama but here I am, patiently waiting for thursday to come. 

It may be a torture waiting for updates while watching an on-going show, but you can get much fun from live recaps together with netizens, as well as up-to-date discussions without being spoiled.

By the way, I read from somewhere [not in English] that the interior of Yulje Hospital are mostly built in studio [the corridors, wards for different divisions, offices, ER, operation room]. The production team even managed to build the hospital courtyard inside the studio (as shown in the scene where the plastic flowers were replaced when witnessed by Soon-hwa and her subordinates). In order to make the ward props as accurate and professional as possible, the production team spent one year gathering all the neccessary stuff while dealing with the budget for buying expensive medical items. A big hand to the team!!!:thumbsup:

[You can checkout the studio set here, not sure if anyone has posted them before:

https://tv.naver.com/v/13335443

https://tv.naver.com/v/12896669]

It is lucky that they built the set beforehand instead of filming most of the scenes in a hospital, or the coronavirus pandemic may affect gravely the filming progress.

Edited by 000231846597
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@habromanic 

actually what i like about this drama all the girl had different personalities...compare to male character usually female character either bad girl who obsessed with power(second lead girl), happy go lucky clumsy girl...but nowadays i saw korea writer tried to create more versatile for female character...like here not only geul wol and song hwa had different character but they both at different age which defination of love,broken heart is different..

Song hwa has been potray as a strong head where she stick to her decision (how she lied she can sing...hahaha) how she enjoy her hobbies (where she doesn’t bother whether her clique agree or not to go with her- she wont let anyone ruin her days) 

How she handle when her ex cheats hers..and how actually she never give hope to captain ahn, rather she guide him like what mentor should be

how she stay true at her words( when he said to jung hwa that she will tell him - means no secret between them - and that why she tell the others members she might probably get cancer) 

She so calm, even her small dream to work at small hospital so that she can talk face to face with patients .
How she use drink bottles to knock out the guy

This show she is mature lady full of charisma yet she just sweet when she in love(the couple mug could be for her and her ex) 

But here people more critic and support of dr jang gaeul wol cause she is imperfect but for some she just so charming as herself..

for me i love both of the character and they had their own charms..

Regarding there are possibility that Ahn Jeong won and Chae song hwa might be the end game. Actually that was my assumption(cause i think the writer and pd will let YYS having the girl this time) - the phone call when he ask her to get dinner or out)

Then there are lots guy that might be chance with song hwa that i tent to go with geul wol and jeong won path 

(sudenlly remember where geul wol call jeong won with her finger shyly to say they ready for kansai operation- maybe that shirt make YYS more handsome thus those scene make me melt - honestly i felt geul wol is me...hahahaha) 

so at the end i just enjoy this drama...and im also enjoying here cause all of you had different point  of view which makes drama more intense to watch 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sorary said:

This show she is mature lady full of charisma yet she just sweet when she in love(the couple mug could be for her and her ex) 

I haven't notice the couple mug, wow! enjoying reading this thread due to these small details everyone here can catch! :D

On 12/4/2019 at 6:29 AM, larus said:

Went to read the first page of this forum, noticed just then actress Shin Hyun-bin and Yoon Yunseok (Dr Ahn JW and Dr. Jang GW) are standing next to each other in this group pic :D

I enjoyed Reply 1994 (I was rooting for Najung/Trash Oppa, but really felt sad for Chilbong). And so was Reply 1988. I was there more for Sunwoo/Bora lovestory. The ending was great! It didn’t matter to me who will be the husband of DS at the end (oh my the shipping war that went on for JW/DS/Taek back then:D). I stumbled on Prison Playbook by chance, started watching from ep 9 (I couldn’t sleep in my hotel room while away on a work related trip) and truly enjoyed it. I watched from ep 1 the following night. PP became an easy favourite. 

Let’s not get our hearts broken chinguya. If we can watch this drama without too much expectation on love lines and focus on the friendship of the Fab 5. This drama is another gold from TVN. Yes, we have our biases, however let’s not be too harsh on the supporting characters (poor Dr Jang, she can’t help herself crushing on our priest wanna be Dr Ahn JW guys:D). Let’s just go with the flow. 

I wonder though why no one bashes Dr Jun Wan when he is quite rude too.LOL!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1