[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I could be in the minority but last night's episode was boring. I know the director and the writer want to give a backstory to FL's detective buddy, but his scenes were dull and uninteresting. The only thing that kept me going was the king's scenes and lead couple moments. Hope tonight's episode is worth it *fingers crossed*

Ps. LMH looks majestic in whatever he wears. Give him the most ridiculous outfit and he can still pull it off. Such a charmer!

• Like 13

Unfortunately, I too, felt the first half was boring.  I actually walked away from the TV several times.  The detective's back story could have been placed, perhaps later in the drama.   To place those scenes so early in the drama when you're trying to capture viewers doesn't seem smart.  I also find the random scenes with the PM odd. 

I want to see more of LG and his bodyguard.  Those scenes definitely captured my attention.  

Please be better ep 4!

Does Lee Gon still have the neck scar in Korea?

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

Tiki-Taka? I thought that was a football phrase? I search it up I found only a football system of play

I think time stop scene and I mean this, they sould use so beautiful OST for this , this is so beautiful scene but where is music? I really love ep1-2 music but musics missing on ep3

45 minutes ago, Wis dom said:

I haven't seen this OST seems like it dropped 17 hours ago. It kinda went under my radar didn't see it until now. It is really good and it has subtitles you can click on it and it has some scenes that we didn't see towards the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLHola4yOuk

Yes, this is the third OST that was just released. The fourth one, "Maze" by Yongju, is scheduled to be released today at 6PM.

202004251234776177_5ea3b16b94913.jpg 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1ouise said:

High likely he is working for LR and is also is spy. My take on this is LR might want to overturn the Monarchy system by taking over the presidency. 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kiklaminHo said:

I was disappointed in the beginning but thinking again the whole episode maybe knowing  Shin Jae's past will explain later his actions and choices in the drama.

I admit I did not pay enough attention to his scenes but I got the impression he was a thug before.Is not there also a scene that he asks his mom why she did something?

I think that we ignore stuff like this scene at our peril. It may seem boring now but if he ends up betraying the king later then this was your basic foreshadowing of stuff to come. I think there may come a time when he has to decide whose side he will be on. Whatever his choice this shows he has reasons that make what he does difficult. It also sets up what just might be the cause of tension between  Shin Jae and the King.  In the world of the Kingdom his character has money and power but in this world he has lost all of that so his view and motives are going to be affected by what has happen to his live in the world of Korea.

• Like 7

Idk why...but I have this nagging feeling that the person who saved young prince LG was actually Shin Jae (or some form of him...alter ego/reincarnation or whatever:o

#1 : Because the saviour was kinda too manly in body shape to be our heroine, JTE. 

#2 : Shin Jae likes our heroine & might wanna save her the trouble by actually doing the rescuing of young LG himself. Hence, he took JTE's ID tag.

...Well, this is a romance fantasy after all. So, time travel might happen, right? 
Heck! They even stopped time in this drama ;)

• Like 8

hi all! 

Last scene in episode 3 gave me so much warm yet bitter love story. i Just searched about the book which Lee Gon read. It seems like From Kim So Wol - Azaleas, He is One Of Poet. The Title Of the Poetry is “Invocation Of The Dead”

Invocation Of The Dead by Kim So Wol 

Spoiler

O shattered name!
O name parted from me in mid-air!
O name without owner!
O name I’ll call until I die!

The words left in my heart,
In the end, I wasn’t able to utter all.
O you whom I loved!
O you whom I loved!

The red sun is hanging from the western summit.
The herd of deer also cry sadly.
Atop the mountain that’s sitting, fallen off to the side,
I call your name.

I call your name til I can’t bear the grief of it.
The sound of my call sweeps forward but
sky and earth are too far apart.

Though I turn to stone standing here
O you whom I loved!
O you whom I loved!

산산이 부서진 이름이여!

허공 중(虛空中)에 헤어진 이름이여!

불러도 주인(主人) 없는 이름이여!

부르다가 내가 죽을 이름이여!

심중(心中)에 남아 있는 말 한 마디는

끝끝내 마저 하지 못하였구나.

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

붉은 해는 서산(西山) 마루에 걸리었다.

사슴의 무리도 슬피 운다.

떨어져 나가 앉은 산(山) 위에서

나는 그대의 이름을 부르노라.

설움에 겹도록 부르노라.

설움에 겹도록 부르노라.

부르는 소리는 비껴 가지만

하늘과 땅 사이가 너무 넓구나.

선 채로 이 자리에 돌이 되어도

부르다가 내가 죽을 이름이여!

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

The title in Korean is cho-hon (초혼), which means calling out to the dead. There is an old Korean funeral custom in which a survivor of the deceased (female if the deceased is male and vice versa) goes up on the roof and holding a (traditional) blouse of the deceased with both hands, flutters it facing north and calls out the deceased’s name three times.

source 

41Ql9pPgbxL._SX248_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 3

Just finished episode 3 and excited for episode 4! Just sharing a few of my thoughts.

Now I think JTE is starting to be convinced that LG is telling the truth but she’s in denial about it, and is holding on to her pride. Him becoming an unexpected and constant presence in her life must drive her nuts because it has changed her routine and worse, she’s beginning to get used to him when she had, by all means, tried to resist his charms. By the end of the episode, when she found Maximus gone, she must’ve been annoyingly surprised because she finds out that he wasn’t lying (again!) when he said he would have to leave. I suppose she expects it was just a bluff. That should tell her by now that when the king says something he follows through on it. Maybe on the next episode she will have conflicted feelings on whether she prefers him back or gone.

On a lighter note, I like that fight scene between LG and the thugs. I noticed how LG’s fighting style was more graceful and calculated as compared to JTE and KSJ’s crude forms... which is weird because they are trained black belters. I thought they would have a better stance or something (lol!). It’s just one of maybe a few more fight scenes we are going to see, being as he was meant to be a king strong enough to lead and defend his country.

Question though: what’s with the comparison to a bear? Is that a cultural reference? Or was it just a literal comparison that she’s unrefined and savage, just like a bear?

Edited by lofeval
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, jwkim kimjongwoon said:

hi all! 

Last scene in episode 3 gave me so much warm yet bitter love story. i Just searched about the book which Lee Gon read. It seems like From Kim So Wol - Azaleas, He is One Of Poet. The Title Of the Poetry is “Invocation Of The Dead”

Invocation Of The Dead by Kim So Wol 

Reveal hidden contents

O shattered name!
O name parted from me in mid-air!
O name without owner!

The words left in my heart,
In the end, I wasn’t able to utter all.
O you whom I loved!
O you whom I loved!

The red sun is hanging from the western summit.
The herd of deer also cry sadly.
Atop the mountain that’s sitting, fallen off to the side,
I call your name.

The sound of my call sweeps forward but
sky and earth are too far apart.

Though I turn to stone standing here
O you whom I loved!
O you whom I loved!

산산이 부서진 이름이여!

허공 중(虛空中)에 헤어진 이름이여!

불러도 주인(主人) 없는 이름이여!

부르다가 내가 죽을 이름이여!

심중(心中)에 남아 있는 말 한 마디는

끝끝내 마저 하지 못하였구나.

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

붉은 해는 서산(西山) 마루에 걸리었다.

사슴의 무리도 슬피 운다.

떨어져 나가 앉은 산(山) 위에서

나는 그대의 이름을 부르노라.

설움에 겹도록 부르노라.

설움에 겹도록 부르노라.

부르는 소리는 비껴 가지만

하늘과 땅 사이가 너무 넓구나.

선 채로 이 자리에 돌이 되어도

부르다가 내가 죽을 이름이여!

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

사랑하던 그 사람이여!

The title in Korean is cho-hon (초혼), which means calling out to the dead. There is an old Korean funeral custom in which a survivor of the deceased (female if the deceased is male and vice versa) goes up on the roof and holding a (traditional) blouse of the deceased with both hands, flutters it facing north and calls out the deceased’s name three times. 

Thank you for sharing. The poem is so beautiful. It can move me to tears. 

————————————————

@syntyche omg. The new stills. Excuse me while I try not to faint. 

tenor.gif

*dead*

• LOL 3

Popping by because the show has been awesome for me so far. I used to not pay any attention to Lee Min Ho's dramas after BOF, but I was quite excited about this because it's a Kim Eun Sook's drama, and she has quite an extensive portfolio which were all a success. 

But wow, lee min ho is starting to take my breath away in here. LIKE.. WOW. THE HANDSOMENESS.

Anyway, first two eps were awesome. it really gave a good solid intro into the two worlds and ofc, our leads. ep 3 was a bit meh at first, prolly because of the random prime minister scenes (like i'm not digging her yet but i know she plays an important role..). i was okay with them showing shin jae's backstory but i feel like the scene with him and the gangster in the karaoke room was a bit unnecessary. But i love the fighting scenes though! And how lee geon just randomly appeared and showed his graceful fighting moves as well. Expected from a King heh!

I love how lee geon is so straightforward about his feelings towards taeeul! i was getting a bit frustrated though at how she didn't believe him but who can blame her. Also the part where lee geon scolds maximus for not eating taeeul's carrots was so cute!! 

the ending though, the disappointment in taeeul's face when she sees that maximus is gone. she was prolly getting used to lee geon disturbing her and now that he's leaving, im pretty sure she feels weird and upset somehow. i wonder what we'll see tonight in ep 4.. will she go to the bamboo forest to find him? will lee geon go back to her world again and bring her to his world?? can't wait!!!

• Like 11
  • Love 3