[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Now i think she gonna fall hard for him when she crosses the dimension and treat him with respect like he treats her.

I can't wait to see royal court's  reaction to their future queen and pressed prime minister facing the rival who is getting king's affection. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, aidanelle said:

Idk why...but I have this nagging feeling that the person who saved young prince LG was actually Shin Jae (or some form of him...alter ego/reincarnation or whatever).

Just an FYI! He is the only person who doesnt have a double equivalent in Corea, according to some introduction.

• Like 4

I have been waiting for this drama for a long, long time. So unless something catastrophic happens to an actor's real life I will have to watch it to the end.

I basically like the actor playing Sin Jae since his last drama anyway. Plus I really want to see what happens to the secondary couple.

That's all I have to say. I don't think I will bother analyzing things too much as the theory is not holding up to scrutiny. But the court lady is a hoot. Kim Young Ok is 84 years old. If a 84 year old actress who has been acting since 1958 wanted to act in this drama then I can make myself watch this good or bad. 

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

I dont know if someone has mentioned this already but i am still pressing on my theory that young Lee Gon was saved by Lee Gon himself. I mean the  mystery savior has some City Hunter vibe (for me :unsure:) . The current Lee Gon probably is crossing back and forth through portal holes. I dont think TE would be staying in Corea just like cinderella. Plus we have pack of men building action squad.. romance later and im okay with that. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, chewii said:

I dont know if someone has mentioned this already but i am still pressing on my theory that young Lee Gon was saved by Lee Gon himself. I mean the  mystery savior has some City Hunter vibe (for me :unsure:) . The current Lee Gon probably is crossing back and forth through portal holes. I dont think TE would be staying in Corea just like cinderella. Plus we have pack of men building action squad.. romance later and im okay with that. 

I don’t know whether LG can shoot or not. It was not listed in his profile (according to what he said in ep2). So I’m more convince if that person is gonna be ShinJae. He can shoot (in the trailer), and also got a lot of air time by no reason...that’s suspicious...

• Like 4

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 04. 25. 2:57 AM

Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun closer together in new still-cuts

7-BFF5239-E98-F-4315-AD32-600-C07-A60-D6

"The King: Eternal Monarch" brought a strange fluttering atmosphere through the photo series revealing Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun's hug from behind in the bamboo forest.

The SBS Fri-Sat drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" is a romantic, fantasy story depicting the process of joining forces through the two worlds of Lee Gon - the rational emperor of the Korean Empire, wants to close the door that connects the two worlds, and the warm-hearted criminal police of the Republic of Korea - Jeong Tae Eul - who wants to protect someone's life people and love. The story of a romantic love story between two parallel worlds, the Korean Empire and the Republic of Korea, is mesmerizing "small-screen" audiences.

In episode 3, Lee Min Ho realized that the Manpashikjeok flute was the key to open the gate between the two worlds. Despite his determination to return to the Korean Empire, he still got attached to the Republic of Korea, where Kim Go Eun lived. The moment Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun got closer together in the bamboo forest was revealed.

The newly published photos show the scene of Lee Min Ho sitting close to Kim Go Eun as if he was about to touch her lips. In contrast to a Lee Min Ho smiling gently and making eye contact intimately, Kim Go Eun showed a confused expression as if she was surprised. The audience is more curious about whether the two's fluttering feelings amid the dreamy atmosphere with the background of the bamboo forest can develop into a destined love story.

Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun's romantic scene was filmed in a bamboo forest in Busan City in March. The two showed a bit of tension when preparing for a scene to convey both anxiety and agitation when facing the fate they were about to get caught up in. The two have reviewed the script together carefully and seriously. Although they had to convey the feelings of Lee Gon and Jeong Tae Eul with just eyes and expressions, they both did a good job of portraying the characters' nervousness, thus, bringing a miracle-like romantic atmosphere for the set.

Production company Hwa & Dam Pictures said, "Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun are talented actors who always discuss many times to express their characters' feelings. The sign of romance between the Korean Empire's Lee Gon and the Republic of Korea 's Jeong Tae Eul is about to explode, so hopefully, we will receive a lot of support."

"The King: Eternal Monarch" will air the next episode at 10 pm (KST) April 25.

Reporter Hwang So Young hwang.soyoung@jtbc.co.kr
Photo = Hwa&Dam Pictures
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 7
  • Love 1

My Episode 3 Review

It's interesting how we usually say that we "found the one," when referring to our significant other. But for Lee Gon, "finding his zero" is his way of describing his love in an elegant, mathematical way. For him, he is a number that is powerless and trapped in a root symbol. For so long, he had no thoughts of getting married or carrying on the lineage, preferring to escape the palace from time to time. But meeting Tae Eul made him realize that she is the powerful zero who could finally let him escape that metaphorical root symbol. 

Spoiler

IlmUzyX.gif

G3V5l77.gif

Lee Gon has been figuring out this parallel world phenomena, and has been meaning to go back to the forest and check the portal. When Tae Eul tells him to lead the way to the forest, he obliges and grabs the chance to be with her (hah!). But the door is nowhere to be found, and he guesses that he should have brought "something."

Spoiler

cTBvEYy.gif

pxSyPFr.gif

Our smart king also has a theory on the DNA of doppelgangers on parallel worlds, citing Eun-sup and Jo Yeong. He's correct in saying that even if Tae Eul finds a relative of his based on his DNA, they won't be his real family. But I wonder if he has ever been curious about having his own doppelganger in this world.

Spoiler

jyIgFmJ.gif

@1ouise, nice observation about the tea lady being the spy!

I also wonder about that man who is always beside the prime minister. Quite a connection you dug up there, @happivirus! I must say, that's one feisty prime minister. And it's intriguing to find Lee Rim's cane in the possession of her mother (albeit temporarily).

Uhm, your majesty, are those scribbles of math formulas in your hotel room? :lol:

Spoiler

SotlawG.gif

I have to give it to Woo Do Hwan. Watching him portray Eun Sup and Jo Yeong is like watching two different actors. But, aww, Lee Gon misses Jo Yeong and Grandma.

Spoiler

GXK51Px.gif

So Tae Eul did not find a match for Lee Gon's DNA. I guess there is no DNA record of his doppelganger in that world before he died at a young age.

Cute scene where Lee Gon scolds and orders his seventh grade official Maximus to eat the carrots Tae Eul offers him. 

lo9kOmt.gif

Before even discovering the parallel worlds, Lee Gon has already been skeptical about Lee Rim's death, wondering how the dead body that was found have the same DNA and fingerprints as Lee Rim. He asks what (symbol) was added to Lee Rim. Jo Yeong, on the other hand, now asks what was added to Lee Gon. I say, what was added to both is the flute, Manpasikjeok. 

Spoiler

kUJdlaz.gif

p3QuGXj.gif

When time froze at the park, Lee Gon seems surprised. So it's likely to say that he did not do this at his own will. But rather, Lee Rim crossed the door from Rep Korea to the Kingdom. The last time that this happened was when Lee Gon crossed the door, and Lee Rim was the one who witnessed it. 

Spoiler

SxcizQj.gif

eVxTrhq.gif

So Lee Gon finally concludes that his whip, which houses the flute, is the key to the door to the parallel world. And that Lee Rim, who has the other half, is probably alive and has been crossing both worlds. 

Spoiler

S7a0jx2.gif

vDEgCBx.gif

On the crime that Tae Eul and team has been investigating, rather than some random crime, I'd like to believe that Lee Rim does have a hand on it. He did mention last episode that he's painting over the old temples to give it a "history of his own." So whatever he is up to, it must all be part of a grand plan to realize his ambitions.

Spoiler

cdjX172.gif

Kang Shin Jae has been an intriguing character since last episode, when he was drawing the Corean emblem on his notebook. I'd like to give a chance on the development of his character; how he interplays in all these parallel world phenomena. 

Spoiler

NX2YDSr.gif

Ahh, King Lee Gon whipping the a$$ of gangsters with one hand! How dignified and effortless is he during that fight scene? I'm glad he finally got a chance to prove to Tae Eul that he worked out a lot. :lol:

ifBOEQM.gif

But alas, Tae Eul and Shin Jae ate that ice cream as if there were only two of them. :tears:

Spoiler

tvj14je.gif

So where does Lee Gon stop by before heading home to Corea? To a bookstore to find a book by Kim So Wol, the poet whom Tae Eul mentioned during their earlier visit at the forest. "I could not finish the last words I had in my heart, the one I loved." The title of poem? Invocation of the Dead. This is not some kind of foreboding is it? Oh wait...aand we're back to young Lee Gon and his masked savior (I need answers :lol:). 

Spoiler

It1X0zx.gif

yiauT2c.gif

• Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 6

48 minutes ago, syntyche said:

My Episode 3 Review

@1ouise, nice observation about the tea lady being the spy!

I also wonder about that man who is always beside the prime minister. Quite a connection you dug up there, @happivirus! I

Alsways looling forward to your review @syntyche. And good eyes @1ouise, I hVe never been confuse between the two world transition but the scene with the kid playing yo-yo, I was wondering which koreanwqs it. Your catch really explained it :). 

@happivirus good theory, and seems like something lee rim would do. However, I feel like he wants to be the forever king, and by now he should know that presidential system has a term limit. Unless... he wants to be dictator :/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scrawford said:

Alsways looling forward to your review @syntyche. And good eyes @1ouise, I hVe never been confuse between the two world transition but the scene with the kid playing yo-yo, I was wondering which koreanwqs it. Your catch really explained it :). 

@happivirus good theory, and seems like something lee rim would do. However, I feel like he wants to be the forever king, and by now he should know that presidential system has a term limit. Unless... he wants to be dictator :/

It looks to me like the man in the bookstore is Lee Lim's man, the salt farm guy.

a77e3f4b5e3868dcb257e67a93ab646735b92b8e

20 hours ago, happivirus said:

High likely he is working for LR and is also is spy. My take on this is LR might want to overturn the Monarchy system by taking over the presidency. 

The dude next to the prime minister could be a match for Lee Sang-do.  It seems like LSD was killed by Lee Lim.  Why?  I would think he needs people dead who threaten his plan, but is this guy supposed to be helping him?

• Like 4

I have the impression that LR is creating his supporters in RepKorea by killing people. For example he proposed the mother to grant her wish and since he did what she wanted, she became his follower. By doing so, he can later replace the doppelgänger from the other world. That way he is infiltrating MonCorea again and since the people from RepKorea look the same than in MonCorea, then nobody will notice the difference.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 6

8 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

It looks to me like the man in the bookstore is Lee Lim's man, the salt farm guy.

The dude next to the prime minister looks like a match for Lee Sang-do.  And it seems like LSD was killed by Lee Lim.  Why?  I would think he needs people dead who threaten his plan, but is this guy supposed to be helping him?

@1ouise I’m a bit confuse, I thought the salt farm guy is in rep. Korea with him? Hmm, might have to go back and see. For some reason I thought the guy who was with him while he was painting in the temple (rep. Korea) was the day farm guy that he visited and told him he will show him a different world 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, syntyche said:

So Lee Gon finally concludes that his whip, which houses the flute, is the key to the door to the parallel world. And that Lee Rim, who has the other half, is probably alive and has been crossing both worlds. 

----------------------------------------

On the crime that Tae Eul and team has been investigating, rather than some random crime, I'd like to believe that Lee Rim does have a hand on it. He did mention last episode that he's painting over the old temples to give it a "history of his own." So whatever he is up to, it must all be part of a grand plan to realize his ambitions.

I enjoy reading your reviews. 

I believe Lee Gon has a certain connection to the flute, his blood was flowing through the magic flute when his uncle attempt to break his neck with the flute. That probably explained why his body flare up with ?thunder patterns at some point. The uncle does not seem to experience any side effect of travelling between two world beside that fact that he stops aging (which can mean immortal and that's rather a good thing in the villain book).

Also the second point you brought up that Lee Rim has been planning these random murders. I'm not sure how everything is connected but below is my theory: 

Spoiler

We were shown a picture of voldemort like army in episode 3. What if he murder those people that identical to his army people? So that his army can blend in Kim Go Eun world throw off the government and build monarch system - his ambition is that he want to be king of both worlds? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scrawford said:

For some reason I thought the guy who was with him while he was painting in the temple (rep. Korea) was the day farm guy that he visited and told him he will show him a different world 

I thought the man who is always with Lee Lim was someone else, but are they the same person? or doppelgängers?

05c5d99c4a95aa52fd9dd1e97fd5605df9669cf8

• Like 1