[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

The page moves in LTE speed I can't keep up yet. So in which page I can find ep 6 eng translation? Did anyone share it here?

Ep 5 was just really fun. And seeing how ep 6 hint that the lady pm will try to expose something, hmm... they mention about Luna. Okay... TE might be suspected as Luna here if the real one is still hiding from everyone. As far as I remember, Luna also visited TE along with LG in first episode. I wonder what would LG do if both women are showing up in front of him. Lol. It must be a bit chaotic.

This drama is full of KES trademark. Every scenes she created makes me de javu with her previous works. But it doesn't mean bad, what I mean is even she recycles the scenes in other forms and conditions, they are still fun to watch. 

I like how Young and TE dressed just like the matrix couple, their black long coat with those black glasses reminds me of duo Neo and Trinity. TE with that braids look so cute. She looks even younger. Seeing how Young expressions everytime LG asked him to do something about his girl is just fun. Lol. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

43 minutes ago, Kris Silva said:

And when JTE and SJ were crossing the street in Corea, I thought was also a bit confusing,  because it was followed by SJ talking to the psychiatrist in Korea -- until I read here that it was something like the library scene where the 2 worlds collide.  I think the scenes become confusing when it switches between Corea and Korea, so hopefully they do better on the editing.  

It's good that we have different perspective... because I love this scene that make me confused ha ha... It's telling me to be alert next time.  One of the reasons was because of the preview, so I've already expect that he might be SJ in Corea ... My mind is already set before watching last night's episode - What will be JTE's question when she saw him  ... what  will be his reaction  etc.... but then they didn't approach each other ... err???  Only when he spoke with the psychiatrist did my mind went back to that scene .... and realised ... I should expect the unexpected... but this is only me :glasses:

One of the disadvantages of knowing 0.01 of Korean language is one is focussing on the sub, that one missed some scenes.  That's why I need to rewatch it ...:D  Looking forward to the next episode...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kiklaminHo said:

why Ta eul looks dumbfounded when she meets Prime Minister ? Is she someone she knows from her world ?

She read about her online rumours with LG. As she is claimed to be LG's Ex online not factual but tabloids doing tabloid stuff

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kiklaminHo said:

why Ta eul looks dumbfounded when she meets Prime Minister ? Is she someone she knows from her world ?

She did research on Lee Gon’s phone. It showed her search history on the screen when she saw PM :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

She did research on Lee Gon’s phone. It showed her search history on the screen when she saw PM :D

she looks at her though like she can not believe what she sees in front of her.

Lets  see tomorrow . lol I start liking the villains more in this drama :)

• Like 5

Ah.. the way they directed the scenes may be a bit confusing for some but if we watch it closely. They put the scenes in the same timeline but they're in different world. Both TE and SJ are passing that street but in different world respectively. Just like how they made the library scene between TE and LG before. After the next scenes I automatically understands that part. So I think those scenes are the styles and thus make them look artistic.

Okay.. do you see how LG enjoy teasing TE for her history search of LG's ex. Do you see how he dismissed her excuse and smiles so sweetly at her. He knows that she's curious of him and he feels glad about it. They'll give us the kitchen scene tonight right?? I can't wait to see it. :love:

Spoiler

Hmm.. honestly I don't want to talk about this but regarding to rating talks. I think we all agree that it feels good if the drama we love gets good rating. But can we just focus on enjoying the show instead??? I know rating is important and I hope the good result for them but let's move on if it doesn't go as people expected. Don't go overboard. I mean.. c'mon just enjoy the drama. Many dramas received a lot success even their rating don't do that well. Plus... there are more people watching this!!! So those rating doesn't completely represent the whole interest and love of people for this show. And let's stop talking how some other dislikes the show. Don't forget the one who loves the show are also in great number, even more than those who aren't. 

And thanks to the wonderful mathematicians here who have shared some good knowledges so I don't need to be confused when LG explains about the time with Euler's number. Poor our TE, she has to do some search for that. Lol.  

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I think that we should all take a pledge not to discuss the ratings tomorrow.  It is what it is.  I think the rate this thread moves is testament to the number of people who are enjoying the drama.  

I, for one, cannot wait until Lee Gon and Lee Rim Lim meet.  I think the confrontation will be epic!  I think the actor is doing a great job as a villain.  There's been some villains where I thought, nah, they're not too scary, but not in this drama.  That photo someone posted pages back of him smiling is so deceiving.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

31 minutes ago, FactChecker said:

Having said that, people should not be driven by the ratings. If you enjoy watching the drama, you should continue to support it. It is refreshing to have an own developed taste. Do not be a sheep by following the masses.

I totally agree with you. Dwelling too much on ratings may affect your perspective about the drama. You might not totally enjoy watching coz you are too worried about the ratings.

Some Koreans may not find this drama interesting enough because of the unusual plot, but personally, I find it refreshing. TKEM makes you think, ask questions, and sometimes make you want to rewatch the previous episodes for you to understand the story better. 

Come to think of it, those who watch the drama in Netflix from other countries find it good enough for it to be included in top 10.  

• Like 9
  • Love 2

I agree with @CarolynH

Yes, ratings are important. For the station, it means revenue for advertising. For the actors, consider it as a sign that their drama is well loved.

As an international viewer, I can say that initially the world building is confusing for me, but I am getting into understanding how the worlds work.

I am enjoying the storyline so far, villains and all.

It is not perfect. No drama is perfect.

I watched Moon Embraces the Sun and it hit 46% but it wasn't a perfect drama.

Let's enjoy the ride and see how all the storyline will play out.

I am predicting a gut wrenching moment in Ep 12..... If it goes the way of Goblin. Hahahaha

• Like 10

just want to clarify. No offense about the rating. I’ve watched worse rating-wise dramas. Some of which are my all time faves. 

@Wis dom According to a Korean living in Korea, I think we can agree one last time that other dramas have had the same principle, airing on Netflix Korea one hour later or even sooner after TV. 

Spoiler

0-B4-D4587-77-A1-4-A39-8-DDB-FEBB5-EC6-F

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Ah.. the way they directed the scenes may be a bit confusing for some but if we watch it closely. They put the scenes in the same timeline but they're in different world. Both TE and SJ are passing that street but in different world respectively. Just like how they made the library scene between TE and LG before. After the next scenes I automatically understands that part. So I think those scenes are the styles and thus make them look artistic.

Okay.. do you see how LG enjoy teasing TE for her history search of LG's ex. Do you see how he dismissed her excuse and smiles so sweetly at her. He knows that she's curious of him and he feels glad about it. They'll give us the kitchen scene tonight right?? I can't wait to see it. :love:

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm.. honestly I don't want to talk about this but regarding to rating talks. I think we all agree that it feels good if the drama we love gets good rating. But can we just focus on enjoying the show instead??? I know rating is important and I hope the good result for them but let's move on if it doesn't go as people expected. Don't go overboard. I mean.. c'mon just enjoy the drama. Many dramas received a lot success even their rating don't do that well. Plus... there are more people watching this!!! So those rating doesn't completely represent the whole interest and love of people for this show. And let's stop talking how some other dislikes the show. Don't forget the one who loves the show are also in great number, even more than those who aren't. 

And thanks to the wonderful mathematicians here who have shared some good knowledges so I don't need to be confused when LG explains about the time with Euler's number. Poor our TE, she has to do some search for that. Lol.  

I’m with you, I actually didn’t find it hard to understand. Aside from the distinction between the roads, it was obvious to me because they walked right pass each other without JTE acknowledging him. And maybe an unpopular opinion but I like to see scenes like this. It makes the parallel world concept of existing at the same time, same place but different worlds impactful. 

The kitchen scene? YES, PLEASE!! I’m only regretful that we got a kiss today so it’s unlikely we will get one tomorrow. Would I trade it for the kitchen kiss instead? Maybe? Hehehe. But I’ll take what I can get lol.

Thank you! Totally 100% with you on the ratings talk.

19 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

I think that we should all take a pledge not to discuss the ratings tomorrow.  It is what it is.  I think the rate this thread moves is testament to the number of people who are enjoying the drama.  

I, for one, cannot wait until Lee Gon and Lee Rim Lim meet.  I think the confrontation will be epic!  I think the actor is doing a great job as a villain.  There's been some villains where I thought, nah, they're not too scary, but not in this drama.  That photo someone posted pages back of him smiling is so deceiving.

Can I add that they’re all doing great? They fit their roles like a glove. 

Agree! Let’s take a pledge to not talk about ratings tomorrow. And I’m going to leave off with, let’s stay hopeful. One of my all time favorites dramas from last year, when the camellia blooms, followed a similar trend and ended up with over 20%. Things can change. And whether it does or not, let’s enjoy the show to the best of our abilities. It’s so much more fun when we just focus our attention on things like theories and of course, the forehead kiss lol. 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

Yes let's forget rating I am waiting kitchen scene today  :wub:

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Aww he kissed her... not sure about the detective girl but I was busy having palpitations :wub:  lee gon is such a cutie!! I've a weak heart your highness, don't kill me just yet lol

Jeremy renner what a goddamn babe GIF on GIFER - by Nigar  

Grandma nanny is scary as hell isn't she? I'm glad she's on the king's side and she better not betray his trust. I shouldn't fret over nonsense but last night for the time I felt uneasy about her equation with the king. Love her possessive nature towards lee gon but she's the perfect person to plot something against lee gon at the same time. Suddenly I feel suspicious and uneasy about almost everyone around lee gon. I wanna protect my boy so badly :huh:

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

I step away for a few hours and you tack on another 7 pages! - Forget the naysayers - this drama and all you guys are great!

LG shooting - I say don't worry about it - the carnival gun was rigged- lets move on :lol:

The gateway - while I'm sure there is still alot more to be revealed on just how this works, I see it figuring prominently in the ending - a running fire fight to or from it - or perhaps after LG & LR fight the flute is somehow reforged together and one (or both:tears:) are trapped inside when the gateway closes - or LG & JTE are trapped on opposite sides - Okay maybe that's not the ending .... just an ep 15 cliffhanger - We're getting a Royal wedding out of this mark my words :wub:

Shin Jae - Guys the street crossing scene was the dead giveaway they were in different worlds - watch their shadows - they fall in opposite directions - if they were in the same world they would fall in the same direction ( i liked that scene )

Count me in on Shin Jae actually being from Corea - I agree that his nightmares a result of the associated trauma 

The Kiss .... just thought I'd mention it again, in case anyone forgot :lol:

Ratings - don't really care, I'm enjoying this drama and 142+ forum pages later apparently so are many of you :)

Air time -  I know alot of you are arguing over this so I thought I might help clear it up -  I am currently watching this drama via Netflix every Friday-Saturday at 8:00 AM sharp - I watched ep 5 this morning at exactly that time - Korea is 16 hours a head of where I live - so the moment I started watching this morning, it was passing Midnight in Korea May 1st to May 2nd ( it is currently 8:41 PM May 1st here - which makes it 12:41PM May 2nd in Korea - Hope this helps :)

@YongZura⁷ - Thanks for the preview!

Thanks for all the wonderful insight & speculation guys, lets keep it going!  :)

LCO

• Like 6
  • Love 5

This is my favourite scene from EP5, yours? So funny I smile like fool , I don't know how many time watched:D this scene make me happy:lol: I guess this OST will be release today but I am not sure , Jo Young hahaahha so funny his face

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

My two cents of the rating and all:

Let's all agree that this drama is not an easy topic to digest. Let's not compare it to CLOY, especially WOTM, Itaewon Class -> because the complexity of the story setting and the stretch of reality they bring are totally of different variables to compare (putting editing, directing and everything else aside). Now let's see what other dramas we could compare this to: Arthdal Chronicles, Goblin, Hotel Del Luna--but even for these two, the back stories are simple. One is about a punished soul that has to live for 900 years and look for his bride to finally kill him. Hote Del Luna is another story about a woman that has to live so many years before she could go. For foreign shows, the king would follow the theme of Interstellar, Inception, etc. The closest to this drama to me is Arthdal Chronicles which did well but also did not sky rocket rating. Even these movies I mentioned are not easy to make sense for many audience and did sufficient in terms of market success but not extravagantly reaping audience. Interesting how TKEM is similar to these shows right?

So what am I saying here? Assuming that our stakeholders in this production are professionals (which I believe they all are), the writers, the actors, the PDs and everyone - that must mean that they have been the first people to know the nature of this show, the risks and their audience first hand. They are professionals in the industry and are top rated players, who are equipped to predict some levels of outcomes. Before we assume that they don't know this, we should give some thoughts that maybe this was expected even by them (notice how all the casts in the press conference said that the story picked up as the show continues). They know that risk, once again.

We are the ones who have a different set of expectations and what success means. Our expectation is that everyone (20% which are 2 million korean audience would tap and follow) but I know that my mom won't be interested in watching this type of drama. She did not even finish episode 2 of Goblin. My dad even more so. So what this eventually means is that maybe we should expect that it will fall around 9-12% rating (and btw this means 1.2-1.5 million watchers in South Korea only). Who is to say that this won't increase? But then again even if it does not increase, can we see that this is a good number already for this highly complex story? Like 1.2 million people on average are following parallel universe theory when maybe 50% of them do believe that the world is flat? I think that's pretty amazing ~

The production company, artists and writer are aware of the risks and potential that this won't reach the whole population in South Korea. However, even with that argument, we know that this number does not capture Netflix followers and please read through my thoughts below why going to Netflix and different branding variables are important to define success.

What does success mean then? Why would they take this risks? Wouldn't it be easier to do a different project with easier delivery and less risks? And if stakeholders are aware that the drama potentially won't reach all types of audience, how will they finance it? Will they lose money?

No, they took this project as is and went forward (and made profit out of it). They must have done different strategies to make it happen:

1) The story targetted a more serious type of audience: focused, loyal and creative minds who are more mature in terms of variety of entertainment. We know that a TV episode showing once may not fulfill that. Hence a streaming provider fits with the need of audience to be focused while watching. This calls for a platform where you can watch it anytime, anywhere.

2) They predicted the minimum audience base in Korea and kept going with that breakeven point, and expanded the project targetting million others across the world that can follow this type of story through a global paid platform

3) They found artists who are with the same mission and vision: delivering complicated stories well, targeting a different type of audience, and increasing their brand recognition across the world.

The above point is proven through several strategies that they have successfully done:

1) They sold the shows to both SBS and Netflix as well as other streaming services at full cost and have gained 30% profit even before episode 4! 30% profit from 30 billion project is a yummy number of money. Also Studio Dragon stock has been increasing before and while project is airing. Project financing accomplished and streaming companies are happy that many new users signed up (customer acquisition) and actually, the show itself is not losing.

2) Branding and endorsement continue to receive average of 1.2-2 million watchers in Korea alone with the names that Kim Eun Sook, Lee Minho, Kim Go Eun carry with the show as is. It already gives them profits and revenues. Think what this means for those brands for the international audience -> tourism, business expansion, etc.

3) The top rated actors and actresses wanted to expand their acting portofolio and brand recognition. And they got that in this project. The artists too are placed to carry the show especially in the beginning where they try to attract that specific niche audience, lay down the stage setting of the story and expose the skills of the artists. Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun and WDH gained several hundred thousands instagram followers in 3 weeks alone (check that for success). And guys, this is only 30% of the whole show! We see how well Wo Doh Hwan has done the two roles -- we have yet to see Luna where I am sure Kim Go Eun will slay with her acting skills. More is in store. More exciting stuff is coming.

I'd like to close this lengthy media and film industry essay (lol) by acknowledging that the story and characters could be written more neatly. The CGI and editing could be better. And the acting can always be encouraged to take different interpretations. But instead of seeing this show as a failure, I'd like to invite you all to see another point of view: isn't it exciting that 1.2 million people in Korea alone, and several other millions in the world are following this mindfogging storyline? And in fact, is also doing well beyond the repeatedly sourced number? And in fact, is not losing financially? And it's only episode 5? And there is more? And there are geeks like us that like how the theories come up? And math?

Stay focused on the things that matter. LMH and KGE careers are doing well and even better. I cannot wait for the next episodes! 

Edited by reynamorisson
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 3

@LeftCoastOppa can I just say, yes, yes, yes, and YES to everything you said? 

@leeminhosny your favorite scene is my favorite scene! Gon was hilarious and I laughed so hard at the guards overcompensating him. My favorite was the one who said, “I’ve been thinking that for a awhile now.” :lol::lol::lol:

Also, we got to see Yeong throw somewhat of a fit lol. 

@reynamorisson you, my friend, said it best! Thank you! *clap*

And suddenly I remember someone on here requesting that soompi should give us more options of emojis. I wanted to clap but I couldn’t find the emoji lol. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3