[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

6 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@YongZura⁷ @ktcjdrama @Dramafreak Right now, I am quite busy but I have already found the new topic for the next analysis:

Lee Rim: the birth of a new god?

I guess, it will be finished tomorrow or Saturday.

Thank you for the heads up.  We'll be waiting whenever it is.  Fighting!  :blush:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Hide contents

if i'm not mistaken, I read the article which says that they'll fix the scene and will rerun or via VOD. What does that mean? Will they really re run the old episodes with new edited version?? Hmm.. it reminds me of Korean Odissey back then. Tvn rerun the episode with better CG in the edited version. 

In relation to the Japanese warships, I think they meant fixing the CGI part of those ships for the episodes on video-on-demand (VOD) platforms such as Netflix and Wavve. I noticed that they have already fixed the refuted temple designs in the opening credits on Netflix. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

heir acting is good

It is reported that in order to play the role of the emperor, lee min-ho deliberately learned to use the air voice, also learned the Busan accent

When facing to different roles. there are different micro expressions on his face, facing to JTE is proudly and a little tsundere, facing to JY is relaxed, facing to lady Nah is like a spoiled child, facing to the prime minister is to deal with, very accurate

Thanks for Weibo comment. I like this part. It is true what she said.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

3 Memorable Lines That Show Lee Min Ho’s Charisma, Leadership, And Romantic Side In “The King: Eternal Monarch”

Lee Min Ho is the perfect king in SBS’s “The King: Eternal Monarch”!

“The King: Eternal Monarch” tells the story of Emperor Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho) and detective Jung Tae Eul (Kim Go Eun), who live in parallel universes where Korea is a constitutional monarchy and democracy respectively, but they work together to try and save peoples’ lives.

Spoilers

Below are three moments when Lee Min Ho made viewers’ hearts flutter with his memorable lines:

1. Charisma: “From now on, I’m the only one who worries about myself. What you must protect is not me, but this sea.”

Lee Gon, the commander-in-chief of the Korean Empire’s armed forces, showed an unwavering attitude towards Japan, which has continued to provoke the Korean Empire’s territorial waters. Lee Gon said, “If countries are honest with each other, there will be a war. If Japan is this honest, we should be honest…that we’re not just going to stand by. You know I finished my military service as a captain of the Navy. Japan can’t enter our territorial waters, not even by a centimeter or a millimeter.”

Moreover, when people became worried about his safety in a situation where war was imminent with Japan, Lee Gon commanded, “From now on, I’m the only one who worries about myself. What you must protect is not me, but this sea.”

lee-min-ho-1.jpg

2. Leadership: “The imperial family wears military uniforms at the most honorable moments. It means that we’re going to win.”

Lee Gon is the type of king who takes the initiative to show his leadership. Prime Minister Goo Seo Ryung (Jung Eun Chae) disclosed the fact that Lee Gon had been voluntarily paying taxes since last year and used it as a shield to withdraw the plan to raise salaries for all members of the Cabinet and the House of Representatives.

In addition, when Japan launched a provocation into the territorial waters of the Korean Empire, Lee Gon took the lead in his naval uniform. At the sight of Jung Tae Eul’s worried expression, he stated, “The imperial family wears military uniforms at the most honorable moments. It means that we’re going to win.”

lee-min-ho-21.jpg

3. Romantic side: “I thought it was a name that wasn’t meant to be said, but it was meant to only be said by you.”

Not only is Lee Gon a charismatic leader, but he’s also a sweet romantic to the woman he loves. Lee Gon, who brought Jung Tae Eul to his own world, showed his special affection for her by cooking a warm meal for her and expressing gratitude with a light “head thump.”

With the threat of war between the Korean Empire and Japan, Lee Gon sent Jung Tae Eul back to the Republic of Korea with the promise to come back as a winner. With a heavy heart, Jung Tae Eul said, “See you again, Lee Gon,” and Lee Gon responded with, “I thought it was a name that wasn’t meant to be said, but it was meant to only be said by you.”

lee-min-ho-3.jpg

Production company Hwa and Dam Pictures shared, “The combination of Lee Min Ho’s passionate acting and Kim Eun Sook’s lines is creating the perfect monarch of the Korean Empire in a fantasy romance.” They added that more unexpected events will happen in the upcoming episode airing on May 8.

“The King: Eternal Monarch” airs Fridays and Saturdays at 10 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1398863wpp/3-memorable-lines-that-show-lee-min-hos-charisma-leadership-and-romantic-side-in-the-king-eternal-monarch

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

what if luna is the daughter of LG and JTE? And she’s the key to time travel. Just like in the flash series barry allen’s daughter wants to see who’s her father, maybe luna just want to see her father as well hehehe. hehehehehehe. . Just one of my what if’s for the drama and im getting crazy becoz a waited for friday :w00t:

Edited by LRM11219311
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Hi everyone! It took almost a week to catch up on all the posts of these last 2 episodes! Wow you all have given so many interesting theories! Here are mine. 

Uncle Lee Rim said that the pregnant woman would give birth to a girl in Episode 4. Does he have access to one of their pregnancy records or can he also time travel? I thought because of that one detail he also might be able to time travel. Anyway they will reveal more about his powers in further episodes.

Do we know how the kid with the yo-yo is related to the messenger lady/Shin-Jae's mother shown in Episode 3-4? I feel like he and Shin-Jae could be brothers. I dont know why but I also thought that kid might be a time travelling Shin-Jae himself but that's a little too wild. But they could be related. 

I also feel looking at Jo-young and Eun-seop's behaviour that they might have been switched sometime when they were children. I also wonder if you have the same family in both worlds and assuming Jo-young and Seung-ah have a romance line, then would Eun-seob and Na-ri also have it? Seeing how Eun-seob and Na-ri dont have any attraction towards each other yet also makes me think that Jo-young and Eun-seob may be switched. So just like Lee Gon and Tae-eul have a romance across universes, so do Jo-young and Seung-ah (if they take it further).

Also does Jo-young have twin siblings like Eun-seob? Thats not been mentioned so far right? 

They may be all wrong but its fun to theorize!

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

On 5/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, Keikokoko said:

@romance06 I am flattered to be called a friend of yours. Thanks!! It's been fun hanging out here with everyone sleuthing/theorizing plots, gawking the king and queen, and waiting for tidbits before the weekend episodes. So glad we are half way through to next episode. :) 

Hello, I'm sorry for replying too late, these two days I'm too busy.

I'm same as you, so happy to be able to enjoy "The King" with everyone and share all the feelings together, sometimes flapping my thighs, how does this friend get my point right which I cannot describe in words, and feel closer to people. :)
I'm glad to read more of your posts in the next episodes.:)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LRM11219311 said:

what if luna is the daughter of LG and JTE?

@LRM11219311 You may be onto something B) If Luna is the daughter of LG and JTE, it would mean that they went to bed together already.:wub:  How dare the producer deprived us from seeing this important scene. ha ha ha

Hope everyone's excitement for next episode has brought you good spirit. 

• LOL 7

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 05. 07. 8:36 AM

Paul Kim, Sunwoo Jung A to perform OSTs of "The King: Eternal Monarch"

F9-D94397-604-A-4194-B789-C37-CF88-C5989

Capable singers like Paul Kim and Sunwoo Jung A will be joining the OST line-up of "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS).

The production crew of the Fri-Sat drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" (SBS) announced to release the 7th OST "I Can't Stop The Flowers Blooming" by Sunwoo Jung A at 6 pm (KST) May 9 and the 8th OST "Dream" by Paul Kim at 12 pm (KST) May 10.

The song "I Can't Stop The Flowers Blooming" by Sunwoo Jung A is a song expressing the heart of Lee Gon (played by Lee Min Ho) and Jung Tae Eul (played by Kim Go Eun) when they tried to nourish love despite the uncertainty of a difficult love affair to the distance between the two parallel worlds. In episode 6, the song was integrated into the scene of Jung Tae Eul sowing the seeds of the lilies, contributing to bringing the warm and poetic atmosphere to the climax. The romantic lyrics simulate a heart filled with love with wildflowers piercing the brick wall and blooms promising to evoke deep empathy in the hearts of the listeners.

Singer Sunwoo Jungah - who performed "I Can't Stop The Flowers Blooming" - has fully conveyed her own deep emotions as well as the character's extreme sadness by expressing meticulously every single breath in the song. In addition, the song has gone beyond the simple acoustic genre and delivered a sophisticated pop vibe with the combination of synth sounds and unique percussions, thereby making listeners even more immersed in the song.

In addition, after bolstering up the status of a "digital music king" with the achievement of sweeping key digital music charts right upon his comeback, Paul Kim recently informed the release of a new high-quality OST through the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch". Paul Kim's "Dream" is a song that maximizes the romantic atmosphere when combining lyrical and emotional strings instrument with sweet piano melodies. With his own emotions, the male singer gently and purely conveyed the affection of Lee Gon for Jung Tae Eul. Besides, the song also evokes deep touching with lyrics that naturally reflect the sincere confession of Emperor Lee Gon after setting foot in the world in another dimension.

"Dream" saw music director Gaemi and well-known OST hit-makers Kim Se Jin and Paul Kim directly involve in composing its music and writing its lyrics, thereby making a song that conveys outstandingly heartfelt emotions. The song promises to blend perfectly with the drama and brings deep emotions and resonance to the viewers.

On the other hand, "The King: Eternal Monarch" depicts the cooperation between two worlds of Korean Empire's ingenious Emperor Lee Gon, who tries to close the dimensional gate, and Jung Tae Eul, an affectionate criminal police officer of the Republic of Korea who always protects other's love, people, and lives. The drama is being broadcast every Friday and Saturday at 10 pm (KST).

Reporter Hong Shin Ik /hong.shinik@joongang.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nrbrown said:

I just want to add my two cents. 
Theory1: The concept of polar opposites. I think the doppelgängers are pretty much the personality or the characters of their worst fears. 
I might be wrong of course, but Jo Young as a child has the exact same hair style as adult Jo Eun Seob. As if showing that Jo Eun Seob never grew up (great for comedy relief tho) and that to Jo Young is his worst fear ie. Not being able to protect his king, or a coward in a sense. 
Le Rim (the illegimate brother to the king’s father) saw himself in a wheelchair - paralyzed ie weak. That is his fear as he considered himself to be omnipotent. 

Im willing to bet Luna is Jung Tae’s worst fear ie. Petty criminal with no roots, and no morals . 
Lee Gon could be a wild card, and the rest who don’t have doppelgängers. The ones that are similar in personalities in both worlds probably don’t have any fears. 

Wait... Hasn't LG's doppleganger been killed by LR when he was still a child, after coming back home and finding him there? I bet LG's worst fear would be just that: being killed by his uncle...

18 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

I had to go back to my "Sageuk" (historical drama) knowledge to understand the conflict of Maximus identity  since the story is related to the Royal Family :glasses: .. and they do use a different set of vocabulary.

So this is the word that I heard:

nari or naeuri   Hangul: 나리 or 나으리

It is equal to Sir / Your Honor / Master 

A term used to officially address officials of the Third Senior to Ninth Junior ranks. It is also used generally by the commoners or lower class citizens to address noblemen.

Maximus is working officially (Seventh Grade Official) so that's why he is entitled to be called nari --> similar sound to Myeong NaRi's (JTE's schoolmate)

This definition is taken from this site - A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO SAGEUK VOCABULARY

In conclusion, Maximus is a HE

*** I appreciate it if those who are well verse to confirm it. Thank you.

@ktcjdrama

Credit to the owner

I know what "naeuri" means (you can hear it often in sageuks), but the only reason it was used to address Joseon's male officials was that Joseon's official were only male. The term itself has no gender connotation, as far as I know, so Maximus could be either a "he" or a "she". 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jerboa83 said:

Wait... Hasn't LG's doppleganger been killed by LR when he was still a child, after coming back home and finding him there? I bet LG's worst fear would be just that: being killed by his uncle...

Good catch. Yes it could

be his fear. Overcoming fears could be the next step...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Wow this treat is so fast I am trying to catching up. I am rolling my eyes when I read K netizens keep trying to  nit picking and finding this drama flaws. Even  some small details they are complaining.Didn't they learned how  to just  enjoy the drama ride without complaining? Haha. 

174f599f17bc89f898b8d6e6ed4b38c225c54dab

Me when I read k netizens complains this.. complain that about this drama lol.

I read somewhere in this threat about the theory that maybe Jo Young from Kingdom Of Corea was switched with Eun Soop from Republic Of Korea as the different personality detected between Kid Jo Young with adult Jo Young. Eun Soop resemble the kid Jo Young personality very well. I also wondered whether they were really switched by LR when they are still kids or not?  But I hope not  >_<  I cant bear my heart to watch if Captain Jo is actually a spy who is working with LR and betray LG in the end. Andwae! I hope this will never be true and I wish Captain Jo stay loyal to LG till the end. Episode 7 Captain Jo will  finally meet Eun Soop. Very exciting to watch what will happen when they both meet ^_^  

tenor.gif?itemid=16934132 

Uri Captain Jo

badc3bc8f41b33ae977aa1491a25d516bda7236e

Uri Eunsoop

• Like 12
  • Love 2

So something interesting to think about is how time moves slowing in the in-between place! LG told JTE that 1 minute there= 1 hour outside....so mathematically speaking 60 minutes = 60hrs outside = 2.5 days outside. Therefore, if you stay there for 24hrs (1 day) or 1440 minutes that would equal to 1440 hours or 60 days outside (around 2 months). So essentially for every day stayed there, 2 months would have passed outside (ratio of 1day:2months). From that then you can say that 31 days = 62 months and 62 months =  ~5 years [(ratio 12months:1 year) (12months/1year = 62months/x years)]. Given that approximately there are 31 days in a month and 12 months in a year that would essentially mean that if you continuously stay in the in-between place for a year, 5 years would have passed on the outside (math off maybe ? ) haha. 

Guess that means that LR must have stayed in the in-between place during some free time or during times when he's not plotting revenge in order to slow down his aging process :joy:. If LG is smart enough (which he seems to be), he would have realized that and maybe will do the same to slow down his aging process to be the forever king and make JTE stay there will him so she would be the forever queen :love:!

• Like 10
  • Insightful 3

Off with the head, whoever is starting the controversies! I’m just here celebrating that we have less than 24 hours to go! 

tenor.gif?itemid=4904984

1 hour ago, Keikokoko said:

@LRM11219311 You may be onto something B) If Luna is the daughter of LG and JTE, it would mean that they went to bed together already.:wub:  How dare the producer deprived us from seeing this important scene. ha ha ha

Hope everyone's excitement for next episode has brought you good spirit. 

100% with you! How dare they deprive us of the most important scene!! :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 9
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

On 5/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, scrawford said:

@romance06 

EDIT : The beginning of Episode 6, the scene with JTE conversing with the PM lady and she told her that she is traveling and will be going home soon. Did ya'll caught Lee Gon's gazing at her with a sad eyes. He is not happy with the fact that JTE has to go home. :(

Yes, he seems to be able to see through JTE's mind. Or the moment she fixated for dinner, he saw her feelings.

If you didn't mention the scene of JTE meeting KSR, I might be lazy not to write this post. KGE's acting must say that extremely delicate in each scene. Although she is not beautiful, she's very attractive, not being outdone by a handsome, charming LMH. :)

Speaking of JTE, from the moment she arrived in LG's world, he was always around her, and TE was in defense, seeming indifferent to LG's affection. But when KSR appeared in front of both of them, it was obvious that the storm in TE's heart was rebelling, she was confused and tried to stay calm in front of LG and KSR. For her, how could she know if LG would marry KSR later?

44Tvan5.jpg

v3MvMdp.jpg
6LuwX8k.jpg

I've like when TE said that she was a fan of KSR, she was very cleverly dodged to protect her self-esteem.:( TE didn't like KSR, she had side-glance when KSR was surrounded by many people. On the outside TE is polite to KSR, but in her mind she must envy KSR who is supported by the people to marry LG.

Spoiler

OzYhLxM.jpg

UPAtxng.jpg

Spoiler

EwVYOJm.jpg

And TE only returned to being calm after sitting on the helicopter, she tried to regain her composure without paying attention to the people around her, just watching the moonlight through the small window. I love how the TE looks innocent as never happened when asking LG about the moon.

UQb3YUh.jpg

P/s:Oh my god, it's not easy to write like this, it's even harder to post pictures.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

What if the Prime Minister is the "secret" daughter of LR? Do we know who the PM's father is? We only see the mother, and LR trusts her enough to leave his very, very important bamboo flute at her place. No way will I leave something so precious at a stranger's house! 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4