[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

2 hours ago, -Love Blossom- said:

@Jillia True even though the drama has relatively new actors and two idols still the acting is not awkward at all. Knetizens are also not criticizing them like they always do :lol:

Because Rowoon's acting is so good and there are so much praise to his acting on Naver but there is other strange case , please everybody leave good comments Rowoon's IG , TW or fancafe , He need support.I think his heart is broken :tears:, really there are so many strange people in the world:tears: I hope he will finish nicely. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, larrysouth said:

However, I would agree that this is not a major plot point of the series.  I think it has more to do about what are our perceived roles and can we breakout of those roles.  I am not talking about Dan-Oh's role as a terminally ill patient.  What is much more interesting is how she decides to live her life with the knowledge that she may die any day.  I think this series speaks more to how one can live one's life regardless of the circumstances we are placed in: terminally ill, arranged marriage, poor, in an abusive family situation, etc.

Bingo. :)  That’s what the last episode highlighted.  Notice on their hooky date, they simply forgot about trying to change DO’s fate and instead poured all their energies into being “present” in the now thereby wasting none in the worrying?  Stuff of memories.

1 hour ago, brielover said:

But the overall formula does not come from the writer; it's a planned framework of tried and true cliches, that the writer must adhere to for money and marketability and publishability. 

And it plays out even here in forums etc.  There’s a set formula which everyone expects.  A romance, skinship, the main lead gets the girl, the second lead doesn’t.  Any deviation from this formula results in a backlash.  It inhibits creativity and freedom of expression.  This drama is satirical.  Rowoon plays the main lead in this drama and Lee JaeWook the second lead (despite the story depicting the reverse).  By default, Rowoon should end up with the girl.  I used to wonder why there was this huge debate before a drama starts about which male lead was the main lead.  And I guess this is why.  The audience wants to know that their chosen hero would end up with the girl in the end.  Like @brielover suggested, there’s an inner battle going on in the writer’s mind between giving the audience what they want/expect (tried and tested formula) or pushing the boundaries by being radically difference and risking the ire of the audience and marketability as a result.   It could be why he/she is painting BK as such a tyrant in the comic.  How far can the writer take his main lead comic character before EVERYONE abandons him and hops onto the second lead Haru’s ship?  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

Dan Oh finding Ha Ru or Ha Ru finding Dan Oh. :D

Credit: DC Gall

@brielover

I really like your thoughts on the characters and formula. :D I remember a friend of mine who did a workshop on writing a very specific type of romance genre as well. And she was taught that certain characters need to be in that genre to make it exactly that. And even certain plot structures which the writer can't really move away from. I think it's interesting we're all so schooled to look out for certain ideas and structures, not only in K-dramas but movies and books as well. I think sometimes there is nothing wrong with that. But of course it makes things more interesting when a writer is trying something new.

With "Secret" I really can't tell what the actual plan of the writer is. To me, he/she comes across as not original at all because he/she actually follow a certain formular we know from manhwas and K-dramas.

I think a clue to the writer can be found in all the books the characters are actually reading: classics that broke new ground in literature, even, or especially, Pride and Prejudice when first written, and poetry.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, nrllee said:

Bingo. :)  That’s what the last episode highlighted.  Notice on their hooky date, they simply forgot about trying to change DO’s fate and instead poured all their energies into being “present” in the now thereby wasting none in the worrying?  Stuff of memories.

And it plays out even here in forums etc.  There’s a set formula which everyone expects.  A romance, skinship, the main lead gets the girl, the second lead doesn’t.  Any deviation from this formula results in a backlash.  It inhibits creativity and freedom of expression.  This drama is satirical.  Rowoon plays the main lead in this drama and Lee JaeWook the second lead (despite the story depicting the reverse).  By default, Rowoon should end up with the girl.  I used to wonder why there was this huge debate before a drama starts about which male lead was the main lead.  And I guess this is why.  The audience wants to know that their chosen hero would end up with the girl in the end.  Like @brielover suggested, there’s an inner battle going on in the writer’s mind between giving the audience what they want/expect (tried and tested formula) or pushing the boundaries by being radically difference and risking the ire of the audience and marketability as a result.   It could be why he/she is painting BK as such a tyrant in the comic.  How far can the writer take his main lead comic character before EVERYONE abandons him and hops onto the second lead Haru’s ship?  

Yes, and I admit to being one of those people who like to know the OTP from the beginning ... of a kdrama.   Not like this one though.  Extraordinarily You is extraordinarily successful so far in its experiment.  It was pretty risky but I guess after W's success the producers decided to go with it.  W didn't have a patch on this show, however, in terms of engaging with the free will debate, or keeping us in suspense, or delivering such fun, well-rounded main and side characters.  If I taught Korean literature in Korea, I'd use this as a teaching text script because it engages so many genres and concepts in its self-reflective satire.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

As for me, I ship Dan oh with Haru because apparently, in that historical comic Haru was the second lead and his chance to have a happy ending with Dan Oh were literally 0%
BUT
I think the situation going for Kyung is totally unfair because he is abandoned from both sides, his family and the woman he loves

vlcsnap_2019_11_04_10h52m18s095.jpgvlcsnap_2019_11_04_10h52m36s966.jpg
I really felt sorry for him when He tried to explain his real feeling for Danoh after the scene came to an end but she ignored him

vlcsnap_2019_11_04_10h50m50s860.jpg

Spoiler

vlcsnap_2019_11_04_10h50m56s602.jpg

While when Haru was gone she told him that he is the only one who understands her situation and knows about the comic (Hello? Dohwa still exists!)

Anyways! I really love this drama and hopefully Dan oh treat Kyung better so He finally could be able to change his abusive character when he is in the Shadow!

This gonna be really interesting If Kyung understand Dan oh's choice about being with Haru and just want her to be happy (like what Dohwa did) and team up with them to change the story together! + Juda

Can't wait until Wednesday! <3

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 3

Spoiler

Im a silent reader in that Thread. I have to float here because of Beak Kyung - Lee Jae Wook. I don't wanna bash Rowoon, he act good enough. BUt for me I just can see Jae Wook ' charisma (sorry Rowoon) even thought he is not pretty like standard of Korea (I think...)

So i watched back nearly JW's drama Search WWW. i suddently found he is a talent. Wow. BK can not have that girl but have many fangirl. 

Anyone like me? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

He is so young. And i somewhere that BK Will say Danoh that: 

"The relationship we have leaves nothing but scars, me who maintains fake relationship, with you who is sick it was nothing but pain for me,.. so i came to hate you but people say things so easily "then treat her with honesty" isn't just that even more pain? Youre just going to leave me, and the person getting left behind would be me again. Whether its fake or real, you and i will filled with nothing but scars. So i avoided you and tried to run away as much as i could. But now i know one thing, if you die, i will received a scars that cannot be erased.. i dont like my tommorow without you. Do whatever you want . I was always that guy and i will always that guy so i want you to look at me just one last time, lets operate danoh"

(cr; leejaewookit)

That's touchy. Imagine with Jae Wook's act. My heart will explore :((

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Jillia

What you said about kyung's change process is pretty reasonable, I hope you didn't misunderstand my post later because What I really want is DO and Haru to help him go through this not that i see DO guilty of Kyung's abusive behaviour!

You know what I say is that I really love to see these three as characters with forced fates who wanna change their cruel ending together not another cliché love-traingle. I'm talking about something like that friendly love-traingle in drama The King Loves (Trivia: The Director of TKL is the same as this drama)

and yeah I hope some fans stop making her responsible for that anymore because I see this happen everywhere these days, not only this furom!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StefC said:

Nice to know the male leads are getting offers.

Any news on Kim Hye Yoon's next project?

I love her so much and wish she will get more offers with different types of characters. 

I am sure she is getting some offers but I hope its a different genre for her next.

• Like 3

Wow!  It looks like the HR vs BK debate has heated up again.  Maybe we should look at this from a slightly different perspective.  As opposed to developing arguments about why DO should like either HR or BK or looking at the backgrounds of HR & BK; instead shouldn't we look at what DO wants?  How would you feel if you told your friends that you liked a particular person and their reaction was negative?  Your friends go on to explain that there is this other person you should like instead.  This other person has had a rough history and will need work to get that other person to be a good life partner.  If you knew this other person and did not care for them, would your friends' information in any way alter how you feel about the person you really like?  It does not matter if you ship BK, HR, DH, or even NJ.  The person Dan Oh likes is the person she likes and we should be willing to accept that.

I get that everyone has their ship and it is perfectly OK to say this is my favorite ship.  However, lets not overly focus on defending our ship because in the end this only degrades into negative comment exchanges which really detracts from this truly wonderful series.  I think all the actors are doing a wonderful job on Extraordinary You as well as writer-nim and the director.  I have not been so delighted with a series in a very long time.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the remainder of the series continues to be this strong. 

• Like 9

@StefC oh hi! I recognize you from koala site. Glad to see you here. Someone said KHY next project will be in a movie with Jin Ki Joo. She will play supporting role, a student who meets a serial killer and the movie title is midnight. Not sure if it's true or still a rumour.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4cGtXtJ879/?igshid=roq2tkjqavzd

It's a class picture everyone, too bad DO HR BK JD can not join. Since this drama is about extras living and making the most out of their time creating special moments, after their graduation from EY drama I wish all of them will have more and better role or find the right path in the future.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bee_wannabe said:

@StefC oh hi! I recognize you from koala site. Glad to see you here. Someone said KHY next project will be in a movie with Jin Ki Joo. She will play supporting role, a student who meets a serial killer and the movie title is midnight. Not sure if it's true or still a rumour.

It's a class picture everyone, too bad DO HR BK JD can not join. Since this drama is about extras living and making the most out of their time creating special moments, after their graduation from EY drama I wish all of them will have more and better role or find the right path in the future.

Speaking of that site, I felt so awful how they are trashing Kim Hye Yoon there for no reason...its as if all her antis are having a field day here.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Exactly. I was surprised by the amount of the criticisms there. I have never spent that much time commenting and defending an actress i like in a post outside of soompi forum. Glad that i have this thread to come back and gain the positive vibe again.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bee_wannabe said:

Exactly. I was surprised by the amount of the criticisms there. I have never spent that much time commenting and defending an actress i like in a post outside of soompi forum. Glad that i have this thread to come back and gain the positive vibe again.

It was written to draw negativity like click bait....that is what irked me the most...glad for this thread too

• Like 5