[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome @gertrude22 @ben1090

I've went back an edited my original post to include the next part to that interview of YKS and HJW. HAHA honestly I've waited for chocolate since they announced it and from the announcement till it aired it was like way too long, and now it's over. This is so sad. Was such a heartwarming drama. I haven't been able to watch anything else since chocolate. Everyone's been telling me how good loves crash landing is, and I tried it myself and I'm like meh, this is not realistic, the girl is still not home, still not caught. Chocolate is about the living, and the people that have to live, but are living each day to the fullest. The hospice settings and the warm character just really filled my heart. It's quite similar vibes to one of my favourite drama a while back - Can you hear my heart. Heartwarming dramas really tugs my heartstrings.  

I'm so glad the two picked this drama. In addition to being a long time fan of HJW (Bali days) I've also liked YKS for a long while now especially during his Highkick 3 days, so when they announced the casting I was rly elated. I didn't however think their chemistry would have topped hyunbin and ha jiwon. I was so wrong.

Definitely happy to translate things you guys want me to translate. Happy to spread the love for my ship. Do link it to me if there's anything in particular!

I'm off too bed now it's 4.30am here in Aussie and lol I couldn't sleep cause I got so excited over the last ep.

Nights everyone!

• Like 4
  • Love 5

I was watching episode 15 and thinking these two, CY and Kang, really like mourning in isolation and dealing with their own problems on their own.

After they unite in Greece... will they live happily or keep doing this maintain secrets business? :D

just random thoughts.

• Like 4

What a beautiful end to a wonderful drama.....I liked how the hospice changed everyone....CY and Kang finally together....not sure why sending her to Greece was necessary but I am glad it ended there....I liked Bora's character...why could they not introduce her earlier...So, Jun just went back to being a doctor...I had hoped for more there bit I guess choosing to go back in his terms is good enough especially since he does like his job....glad Kang left it though...he was right...his grandmother lives in hell of her own creation...why must he suffer in it...I do hope Jun escapes it....he obviously can't cut off his parents but he can still live by his terms...Kang snd Cha Young, I wanted to see their wedding taking place in Wando and with cute kids in the future...I am happy with the end but part of me wishes it showed future them

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Spoiler

- too few otp scenes, and i think this cause the transition of their behaviour from non couple to couple looked little awkward.

- too much flashback 

- i don’t like the writer gave us a scene where CY suddenly suspected the chocolate lady was LK’s mother and LK lying to CY to hide the truth. I mean it’s impossible to hide your late mother’s name to your future bride right. It’s more suitable if they don’t give us that scene at all so LK can hide the truth as long as possible rather than lying.

- i assume when CY said she need time she decided to travel and she chose greece but the sequence was to choppy and ended up weird. 

- i like the scene where LK worried about CY and went to her house. It looked like he worried CY would runaway lol, well she did that previously to MS and she did asked him to run away together

- anyway love the otp alot, looked forward to see both leads in other drama.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Redpinkboxes said:

I'm so glad the two picked this drama. In addition to being a long time fan of HJW (Bali days) I've also liked YKS for a long while now especially during his Highkick 3 days, so when they announced the casting I was rly elated. I didn't however think their chemistry would have topped hyunbin and ha jiwon. I was so wrong.

I am in the same boat as you. I was hoping so much that HJW and Hyun Bin could

• Like 1

Overall good drama, but somethings were a gap for me--especially around the hospital. Again, the thing I hate, and I do mean hate about this drama is doctors who smoke--especially since a core part of this drama is around hospice and a lot of people dying of cancer.

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥
1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

Overall good drama, but somethings were a gap for me--especially around the hospital. Again, the thing I hate, and I do mean hate about this drama is doctors who smoke--especially since a core part of this drama is around hospice and a lot of people dying of cancer.

I used to have a friend doctor who smoked outside the hospital/vicinity of the hospital where all patients had problems with lungs, tuberculosis, copd, lung cancer etc so that part is not impossible 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mystory said:

buuut why didn't we have these scenes? Whyyyyyyy? I waited until the last second... 

Because too many stories cropped up in the last 2/3 episodes.

But totally agree... why why why did they have to make the happy romantic moments always tinged with meloncholy!!

• Like 7

Even the great and angelic Moon Cha-young needs a rest some time. ;) After meeting the shrewish mother (the straw that breaks the camel's back) she collapses into a heap. Even the newly acquired boyfriend can't do anything for her as the gloom of the past casts over her. I have no idea what it's like to be abandoned by a parent or what a toll it takes on the children when the adults in their lives act irresponsibly. I can only imagine the lifelong angst that it inflicts on those who live under its shadow. It must be worse for CY to have met her mother after all this time, still unrepentant of her errant ways, espousing a philosophy of life that is so contrary to everything CY has come to believe to be true. It isn't just a meeting between two people estranged from one another, it's an almighty clash of worldviews. Some people spend their lives taking because life is a game they can't bear to lose. They would rather let others suffer than suffer themselves. Others spend their lives giving because the pleasures of giving outweighs the cost to them. They believe that life isn't just about them but being a part of community. CY learned from Kang's mum that life is meaningless if there aren't people around to share it with. Right to the very end, Kang's mum demonstrated the spirit of giving which marked CY for the rest of her life.

I have a friend who lives with estrangement from her mother but under different circumstances. They haven't spoken for years. Presently she's married and has kids but from time to time she goes for counselling to deal with issues that arise from that situation. Now and again her husband goes along with her to support her in the recovery process.

Among all the reasons for temporarily separating, this is probably one of the better ones that I've seen. Of course they didn't need to. They could have dealt with it together bit by bit but it is so like her to maintain some degree of stoicism in front of others especially the man she likes. I imagine she doesn't want him to struggle along with her and see her at her worst. The thing is though, he already has. In that regard I'm glad to be wrong. I'm just downright relieved that it wasn't because of Kang's mum or Kang's hand etc because that would be makjang at its worst.

I know why Kang lied. He knew what she'd do if she knew who the lady who gave her the chocolate was. CY felt guilt... although needlessly... and she would most likely have done a runner there and then. He learnt from past experience that it's what she does even though he doesn't blame her at all. He was well aware of why she ran away last time with MS. In the end she did do a runner but mainly because she had to get her head properly screwed on.

I suppose it had to be Greece because it was that far far away place that she ran from him on that occasion. This time it wasn't because there was a love triangle that could potentially brew but there was baggage from her past that she didn't want to bring into their relationship that could cause problems between them. I thought the last bit of dialogue between them was instructive. "I wanted you to rest more but I missed you so much." Then she says, "I want to rest with you too." It's a good development for her. She's acknowledging that it's okay for her to get support as she works through her mummy issues. The Greek scenery alone can't heal all her wounds. She has to have someone reliable to lean on through the recovery process. She's been accustomed over the years to keep things to herself, to struggle on her own as well as to prop her brother up. For her to share her woes with someone is a necessary big step towards healing.

For me that's good enough because it signals hope. Of course I would have preferred that we see them return to the hospice but I'm okay with this. I know that they will go back there and for her to continue weaving her magic. "I came to get you" hints to me that much.

Despite the everything I've said so far and loving the slow burn romance, I believe the real star of the show is the hospice. It is as Jun says, "I bet the people there [at the hospice] ended up changing you... after all they ended up changing me too." Therefore, the hospice is a magical... may be even spiritual place where people come not to die but to be healed. It is what I call "the fount of healing". Those who drink from its water long enough will never come out of it the same again. Outside of the hospice, people strife and struggle to live thinking that life is an endless, meaningless series of conflicts and angst but they miss out on what's truly important like love, good eating and family.  Most don't see what's in front of them all the time until life puts the brakes on them and send them to the hospice for one reason or another. Being there, it's occupants understand the brevity of life, the fragility of the human body and the urgency to make peace with their nearest and dearest. It is a place where people learn to realign their compasses.

I loved how Kang called Geosung "hell" which highlights its contrast to the hospice. All that striving and hate... it was depressing and wearying. A place of torment. A place where no one could breathe. Where was the love?

This will definitely go down as one of my favourite K dramas of all time. Whatever your religious views on the afterlife or your philosophical leanings about where we come from, this is one of the most life-affirming shows I've ever seen.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3

24 minutes ago, Dramafreak said:

Because too many stories cropped up in the last 2/3 episodes.

But totally agree... why why why did they have to make the happy romantic moments always tinged with meloncholy!!

And also when LK makes choco shasha and puts in a box with ribbon, they only included in the last 10 sec the moment he gives the choco to CY :persevere: maybe they will make a surprise mini episode with these scenes :w00t: 

*goes hopefully and praying

• Like 7

After that episode (even toward the end), I began to really cry. It wasn't because of the drama was nearing its end, but rather the touching moments that I got from the drama itself.

Little moments like Kang telling Jun's mother to not close the hospice and that he wasn't even interested to take over Geosung, that he didn't intent to return to "hell". The hospice, with the patients and their stories began to melt Kang and Jun; it began to make them realize that life isn't just all about the materialistic reality that comes with it. What's a life if you cannot live it, even if you have everything that you desire? Loved when Jun pulled out his earphones and said that the hospice had changed him too.

I thought everyone had a good wrap up: Jun is doing what he likes (his dad just as pestering as ever), Na-ra came back to the hospice, the nurse and DS is participating in a singing contest, Director Kwon and cooking ahjumma rekindled their relationship.

What I found the most fantastic was the fact that Kang did not push Chayoung to come back. Even the person who looks completely normal and hides it all sometimes need to break down and rest - and it is a real lesson. Chayoung has bottled all of her fears and thoughts into herself, that she used a "rest" to relieve some of it. Knowing that Kang is waiting for her (despite her telling him not to), she sends occasion messages to let him know she's fine. Although Kang doesn't know where she may be, he goes to the place where he believes she may be; and he was right. I loved where Kang says, "I know you wanted to rest some more but I missed you" where Chayoung responds, "I want to rest with you." This was heavy and definitely very symbolic. Chayoung knows that he's also been bottling up a lot and wants to understand him. Through rest, one relieves a lot of worries, fears, and is able to learn about oneself.

Even when Taehyun said his monologue, it was almost meant as a moral of the drama too, in my opinion and it made me cry a river there.

We should always do what we want to or can because we're living today when someone else lost their yesterday. 

Overall, this is a drama where I will revisit very frequently - it taught many life lessons that I will cherish. Take breaks, take a long rest when you need it, and live everyday thinking that we have no tomorrow. 

I know that they definitely cut out a lot of scenes and I was definitely unhappy about it- I thought that they could show more of Chayoung and Kang but... that's okay- no way to complain about it now! I sincerely hope that HJW and YKS will be reunited in another drama or movie; they had great chemistry on and off screen, it was an amazing journey that I went on without a compass (but many brakes) and I cannot wait to rewatch it again, again, and again. :heart:

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 3

6 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@RedpinkboxesThey're just sizzling on-off screen. Okay, sorry not sorry for my sudden shipper heart delusional :ph34r: I know this ship not sailing irl, but its fine... I got a lot of ship that is like that. :smirk:

Back to the drama, if I must pick only 1 favourite moment of them. I will still pick the apron scene. There is not even a direct skinship, but it's fluttering my heart so much. 

Left the tag up there because I wanted to thank you for the transcription. Haven't gotten to the interviews (sobbing still) yet but I will watch them tomorrow!

This ship isn't sailing in real life (I wish it would), but at least we can always watch this drama again? I really do hope they partner again in another drama or movie, hopefully more romantic and not melodramatic. 

The apron scene is great too, but I really like the confession scene between the two, especially Chayoung's. Through her long story, she confesses her love. Another one would be the most recent, where Kang prepares his own birthday meal and she brings the cake. After making his wish, he kisses her. Those two scenes were great. Or the scene right after where Chayoung meets her mom and she finds Kang to hold her hands (this references back to where Chayoung held his hand when he was cooking and he asked, "Shouldn't I hold your hand?" where she answered, "This time I'll hold yours. Next time, you can hold mine."

• Like 4
  • Love 4

There is so much to say and analyse. Need to gather my thoughts properly. But the suffering of withdrawal syndrome is here and for real.

I think LK is like warm chocolate. He is so caring and considerate, making our hearts flutter so much. Look at the way he looks at CY, the way he treats her ever so gently and lovingly, and always wanting to keep her warm. He knows her so well to let her go find her inner peace. At this point, I don't even know if i am feeling happy or touched or sad. They lost so much time together and yet, they need to be apart for CY to get over her issues. Such a gentleman, and this is a gentleman in love.

HJW is great in this show, portraying exactly how we would have envisaged CY. But to pair her off with YKS was the best that ever happened. His moody look in the beginning, then the crying scenes, later his being in love look and reaching out to kiss... I am in love with him too. Gosh this is literally a confession of a married woman who is sucked in by this kdrama current and cannot escape back to reality. YKS is the man.. no wonder HJW is giggly all the time. He is making jokes and acting goofy, playing along with her own innocent playfulness. In a way, I am glad he is taken in real life, otherwise I will be more delusional than I am now. He is not those great looking actors but something about his goofiness, mix with some maturity and with sincere smiling eyes have caught our hearts via Lee Kang!

Someone mentioned the visuals are good cos of their height difference. Yeah, he can nicely wrap her up in his arms and keep her warm. Warm fudge? Warm chocolate?

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

i’m going to rewatch ep15 & 16 later when i’m done with weekend chores haha :mrgreen:

there are several OTP scenes i love in this drama:-

1. when they first met at the hospital and CY recognised him.. (the IV drip on her head was hilarious before that)

Spoiler

2. when LK wished CY happy birthday (also his mom’s memorial)

3. all the pink apron scenes :love:

4. wando scenes were filled with sadness but warmth as well when CY is being there for him.. and also the 3 nods and finally ties back nicely the reunion :kiss_wink:

5. little birthday party at LK’s house.. ok its not a little party considering the massive preps he did hahaha and also, chingus are finally relieved he has a nice proper home and not sleeping in his maserati :joy: and of cos, we keep forgetting the nun and monk prophesy..

c’mon people.. the happiest should be TH.. he now has the blue maserati to take photos and possibly borrows to drive out and a beautiful house he can bring cans of beers and crash the night with his bro in law!

ok this IG post has many scenes haha which is good too! :tounge_wink:

surprisingly, the final scene in greece does not touch me as deeply.. maybe, i really wanted more OTP screen time.. :tired:

• LOL 4
  • Love 3