[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

now why Kang lied. He knew what she'd do if she knew who the lady who gave her the chocolate was. CY felt guilt... although needlessly... and she would most likely have done a runner there and then. He learnt from past experience that it's what she does even though he doesn't blame her at all. He was well aware of why she ran away last time with MS. In the end she did do a runner but mainly because she had to get her head properly screwed on

So a question for you :)

I was wondering why did CY even ask or make that connection? It wasnt a natural connection to make. And was CY convinced that what he said was the truth?

We will never know but I had to ask.

I loved your thoughts.

I loved TH and Bora arc, Jun and Kang conversation, resolution of Geosang stuff, the last dialogue about hope and hospice being the highlight (though a very personal thought: i do think that at times the narrative was a bit too ambitious. Like patients denoted hospice, family politics was about the G foundation and indirectly the hospice, the 3 main leads depended upon the hospice for development, food denoted the magic of the hospice, CY symbolized the magical nature of hospice too but can everything get equal attention in 16 hours? Did every second person have to have a love angle? Could some people not be happy being single? And can everything be told as interestingly?)

But her needing to go seemed a bit forced. She didnt want his pity, I understood but... ok wont type some of my thoughts because like u said one who hasnt faced such parental abandonment, cant really imagine this. 

But I just felt that they were taught by hospice people to live life to the fullest... by 'running away' was CY doing that? I mean wouldnt u want to hold onto the one thing u have wanted for such a long time, if you really think that you have lived a miserable life for whatever reasons? This is why I for one feel that CY's character had shades but not all shades were explored instead sometimes she was made to do things which were not true to her character.

I mean Kang articulated his need for her (if u hadnt stayed I would have cried), and has shown vulnerability to her but CY doesnt. She doesnt speak about why she is sad, if Kang hadnt followed her she wouldnt have spoken about what was wrong and then 'run away'? I cant get rid of the whatifs. I dont know -- I have been asking myself what would a character in that context do and was Cy's act the only option?

I also didnt get her voice over while Kang is taking trips to try and not miss her. I guess, it is to denote that she knows she is loved and to tell Kang that she is fine and not lost. I was wondering what do the two uses of the word lost (in Kang and CY's dialogue) mean?

And, I wouldnt have called her going to Greece as running away when MS break up happened. For me that was coping mechanism. She couldnt resist Kang but also not do anything about it, she had the privilege so she went as far as she could go. If she was someone whose skills were not saleable she would have stayed put.

I liked the scene where she is like I wasnt to run away to a place where no one can find me and he is like ok, let us go... that birthday party was laced with so much meloncholy for me that I was like when can these two just smile without shadows. And Kang taking that old uncle for a pizza was adorable (the changed Kang)

@sadthe1st you are not alone... the part where he started missing her till he finds her didnt do much for me either. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, periwinkleblossoms said:

I used to have a friend doctor who smoked outside the hospital/vicinity of the hospital where all patients had problems with lungs, tuberculosis, copd, lung cancer etc so that part is not impossible 

I know it's possible, is just shows very poor judgment and I truly hate seeing intelligent people making stupid decisions. Doctors more than anyone know the effect of inhaling smoke. How can they give advice to cancer patients to not smoke when they smoke themselves. That's what I don't like.

• Like 2

there are some scenes i can’t quite relate.. so instruction was given that the hospice stop receiving new patients.. then came short appearances like Hui Na (was she already a patient there but not casted till late?)... the unethical construction guy’s wife (what? she has always been there just cos the husband came out on probation so he appeared suddenly?) and then Nurse Ha’s first love as a volunteer? :hushed: 

imho, this is a short 16 ep drama i think there is no need to tie up every loose end.. the construction guy plot needs to come in for CY to genuinely feels TH’s buried grief and pain but, to parachute so many others into the plot for the last 3 episodes.. EATS INTO OUR PRECIOUS OTP MOMENTS!!!

*continues grumbling and ranting*

Spoiler

i need something funny and lighthearted now.. then tvn came

answering to my prayers!

• LOL 2

I thought there were quite some memorable dialogues during the last 2 episodes.

Overall, to me, this was a good drama with nuances and depth of life. It's not solely just about the two main characters and their love story. But each detail and character (whether it's small of large) serves their purpose. I remember reading a comment from someone (I apologize for not remember their username) comparing this drama to a fine wine and I share similar sentiment. There is not anything extraordinary or unexpected that you make you go "Wow" about the storyline, but its depth slowly seeps into you as the story unfolds. And by the end of the drama, you (or at least to me) go "If I can live and treat everyone around me with such depth and a good heart, I could have contributed a bit more beauty to this life".

I am not someone who likes to nitpicking every little unnecessary detail in a drama (ex: pointing out this particular character/scene is so unrealistic and whatnot). What I look for is the "bigger picture", whether I see some meaning after watching it. I'm glad this drama gave me a good feeling and that I did not waste my time at all.

PS: Watching this drama also made me fond of Ha Ji-won and her expressive/electrified eyes.:) 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1

I cant believe that's the end:tears::bawling:.

Bless the writer for making it a good heartfelt ending because I dont think I couldve handle it being a sad one. The last 2 episodes were good, maybe a bit anticlimatic but as a drama overall, it was so enjoyable to watch. I cried bucket of tears. 

I love the sweet pure tender moments with CY/LK. The kisses:wub: at his apartment. This is the first time seeing his place after 16 episodes lol. Its so fancy. The kiss at the seafront at towards the last scene/end with CY/LK is so lovely. Such a beautiful shot lol. I wish we got to see CY/LK do more domestic things together. I know that some scene didnt make the cut like the date on the beach in Greece & the bike ride:cold_sweat:.  I'm glad CY cut ties with her mother. Truly vile person. CY is just a wonderful person who doesnt need someone like that in her life.

LJ's character was so great. Good example of character development. He change for the better. Although I'm sad we didn't get to see HJ again. I honestly thought we would see both of them interact atleast one more time to get sort some closure:(. The end definitely leaves an interpretation for the Geosung & the Lee family. I'm not sure if they'll ever learn from their sh'tty ways. I'm happy that the Geosung hospice will continue to exist & help people.

I'm glad that everyone had some sense of closure & happiness. This drama was such an emotional rollercoaster lol. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Do you all agree that YKS himself enjoyed the drama and the whole process - largely due to his first time with HJW and has his first hand experience with this very sincere actress. That is why he kept saying HJW is very much like CY. His heart probably couldn't take it either, hehe. But work is work, and hope he has come back to reality. At least great friendships are developed from this drama.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mystory said:

And also when LK makes choco shasha and puts in a box with ribbon, they only included in the last 10 sec the moment he gives the choco to CY :persevere: maybe they will make a surprise mini episode with these scenes :w00t: 

*goes hopefully and praying

My thoughts exactly. 

I was waiting for this scene. I thought during the birthday scene when he said hell take her somewhere/puts a scarf on her because it might be cold, I assumed it might've been the same park from the earlier episode w/CY, LK & MS? Then he would give her some homemade chocolate. :cold_sweat:

8 minutes ago, AquariusMY said:

Do you all agree that YKS himself enjoyed the drama and the whole process - largely due to his first time with HJW and has his first hand experience with this very sincere actress. That is why he kept saying HJW is very much like CY. His heart probably couldn't take it either, hehe. But work is work, and hope he has come back to reality. At least great friendships are developed from this drama.

Much like CY, HJW did went through some personal sadness herself, specifically regarding a lost family member. Watching her in Chocolate, I wonder if the script/story interest her since it's so much about personal healing? HJW must be a super sweet-heart in real life if she's anything like CY. She's so lovely on & off-screen.

• Like 9

the director for Chocolate is the same who did it for Miracle That We Met.. he is really good at getting the story across, i remember crying buckets the last time too (oh sheesh.. i’m dehydrated).. wished it could have been extended to 18 as well.. but i’m not complaining since its a happy ending :relaxed:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

This drama made me cry almost on every episode. I had a thought how could they finish all the story just in one week. About Ms. Jung identity, about CY mom, about GS hospital, about the relationship of GS family, about the sanatorium, and other things.  But I guess this drama wasn't focusing on solving every problem. It's focusing on the heartwarming message about living our life and the connection between everyone around us. 

Not forget to mention, I laughed and shocked while watching the cameo on ceramic exhibition. Such a cute couple here. I wish to see JSJ next projects soon. Afterall, Jun is one of my fav characters here. He has his own wound caused by his family. 

❤️

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

the director for Chocolate is the same who did it for Miracle That We Met.. he is really good at getting the story across, i remember crying buckets the last time too (oh sheesh.. i’m dehydrated).. wished it could have been extended to 18 as well.. but i’m not complaining since its a happy ending :relaxed:

I cried so much watching Chocolate at almost every episode. Or maybe I'm just sensitive. Darn onions lol. The overall direction for this drama is so good. The cinematography *chef's kiss*.

I'm glad it was a happy ending. The writer wrote Uncontrollably Fond & Sangdoo Let's go to school, so I was a bit nervous for the outcome/end for Chocolate. There are a bit loose ends but overall, the message was definitely  there for the drama. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, mystory said:

The ending is lovely and as expected buuut why didn't we have these scenes? Whyyyyyyy? I waited until the last second... :tears: I WANT MOOOREEEE!!! :bawling:  how can I get over now? :heartbreak:

Were these scenes only in pictures or they also have it in trailer or clips?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_(South_Korean_TV_series)#Ratings

I think the ratings were quite high considered it was aired in cable tv

• Like 5

At first,  I was a little disturbed with his  Little white lies, Lee Kang tried to protect himself. He was afraid that the death of his mother would hurt both,  Lee Kang with his sadness and Cha Young with her  guilt not the best decision but I understand it. :wub:
I will often visit this drama, i am ready for drama marathon next weekend :mrgreen:

Thanks to all of you who are generous with sharing spoilers, enlightenment, and happiness. I'm happy to be able to join here, feeling sweet, warm, and hot chocolate,  I love you all

• Like 5
  • Love 4

26 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

26ae0569e33441ca8e55fc46fdf86b03.jpg 

Cr. Woomini11

^^ need more of these photos <3

I think Kye Sang left the party early tho, cause Ji Won posted photos of the crew on her instagram at their 2-cha place, but he wasnt there.

Ji Won just posted a photo of her looking like shes interviewing someone, is it too much for me to hope that the special guest in Kye Sang <3

I can't let go of the ship yet!

• Love 2

^^ I'm here with the goodies!

I'm not sure if this is the one you were talking about but basically, i watched this years ago because i was trying to dig up about Sung Yu Ri (he dated her for 6 years, in his boy band days, when she was in FINKL - think they broke up in 2007). This man is a loyal one in this day and age in Korea, 6 years with SYR and 6+ and still going strong with Honey. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUYYlcrqT4

^ If you watch till after 6.15 mins, he was doing the ideal cup game, where they gave him choices of different actresses, and he picks one. 

Ha Ji Won was up against Kim Tae Hee, and he picked our Jiwon :)

YKS: I'm really a fan of her.

And yes, the baeksang awards!!

She was so gorgeous there.

I would like to say this for Kang: You look very pretty today, making my heart flutter( ep 16)

---

Oh I'm not sure if this was mentioned here before, but basically back in March, Ha ji won actually worked at a restaurant to learn cooking (she actually took classes) and practice for the role. Our Ji Won is such a passionate actress <3

This was the restaurant she actually worked in back then. In the conference, she was saying how she tried to only stay in the kitchen, but somehow some people realised she was working there.

Pics from recording the song!

It seems like from this Music Director's instagram... that they were watching the drama together yesterday - hence the photos from Ha ji won's instagram was from yesterday, not in Nov. She just happens to be wearing the same coloured sweater! Yoon Kye Sang wasn't there yesterday tho :(

Edited by Redpinkboxes
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

2.23s in on Yoon Kye Sang.

About Yoon Kye Sang: He laughs alot, very honest, and i think he is a very nice person. During the filming, he really made me laugh alot. Like, really, every single day, in every moment. He made the set really fun, and even when i had any things i was pondering about, i would discuss it with him. We really got along well. So during the last day of filming, it was to the extent of like, just looking at each other, I would feel like tearing. I think we were both too submerged into our characters of Kang and Cha young.

• Like 3
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm about to watch the final episode... Been putting it off because it's the last one...

Enjoyed their behind-the-scenes videos a lot too and this is the last one to subtitle I guess. YKS and HJW are just so adorable bts. Hope they get to work together again!

Link to the Making Video (final ep): 

She hits him after he teases her to be a 'professional' after a one-take lol.

8tE3x4D.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

Sorry guys, I keep popping up here :joy: I can't move on yet...

Same here. Please excuse me if I still post randomly here because I cannot stop thinking about the drama. It is getting blurry between LK, CY and YKS, HJW. 

I have known HJW for some time but this is my first encounter with YKS. Naturally he is on my mind a lot, more than anyone else. He seems very down to earth and especially low maintenance in the sense that he doesn't need much attention on his hair or his face, unlike other actors on set.

He must have his charm to win the heart of a real beauty queen. Please get married soon so that I can move on from thinking of him, LK, CY, etc.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

7 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

So a question for you :)

I was wondering why did CY even ask or make that connection? It wasnt a natural connection to make. And was CY convinced that what he said was the truth?

We will never know but I had to ask.

Yes, I thought that was interesting too. But I think it was because the day of his mother's passing falls on the same day as her birthday.

I think it was in one of the earlier episodes (6?) after they went looking for Jin-yong that he found out about her yearly hospitalization on her birthday. He later invited her for drinks at the lake, told her that the seat on his right was for his mother and then later said to her that he hopes that she never falls sick on her birthday again. Perhaps she remembered that.

7 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

But her needing to go seemed a bit forced. She didnt want his pity, I understood but... ok wont type some of my thoughts because like u said one who hasnt faced such parental abandonment, cant really imagine this. 

But I just felt that they were taught by hospice people to live life to the fullest... by 'running away' was CY doing that? I mean wouldnt u want to hold onto the one thing u have wanted for such a long time, if you really think that you have lived a miserable life for whatever reasons? This is why I for one feel that CY's character had shades but not all shades were explored instead sometimes she was made to do things which were not true to her character.

I mean Kang articulated his need for her (if u hadnt stayed I would have cried), and has shown vulnerability to her but CY doesnt. She doesnt speak about why she is sad, if Kang hadnt followed her she wouldnt have spoken about what was wrong and then 'run away'? I cant get rid of the whatifs. I dont know -- I have been asking myself what would a character in that context do and was Cy's act the only option?

I also didnt get her voice over while Kang is taking trips to try and not miss her. I guess, it is to denote that she knows she is loved and to tell Kang that she is fine and not lost. I was wondering what do the two uses of the word lost (in Kang and CY's dialogue) mean?

And, I wouldnt have called her going to Greece as running away when MS break up happened. For me that was coping mechanism. She couldnt resist Kang but also not do anything about it, she had the privilege so she went as far as she could go. If she was someone whose skills were not saleable she would have stayed put.

I liked the scene where she is like I wasnt to run away to a place where no one can find me and he is like ok, let us go... that birthday party was laced with so much meloncholy for me that I was like when can these two just smile without shadows. And Kang taking that old uncle for a pizza was adorable (the changed Kang)

I can't say that I have any satisfactory answer to this. ;) But I will give it my best shot.

Her going away wasn't about not wanting his pity, I don't believe. It seemed to me to be about not being a burden to him. Or at the very least she wanted to protect him from her woes or how that could affect their relationship or happiness etc. As you noted rightly, there was so much melancholy during the birthday celebration because her mother had resurfaced from out of nowhere and that was putting a damper on the festivities.

It appears that her mummy issues run very deep. We've had hints of it here and there, nothing terribly concrete admittedly until now. But it's not something we didn't know about. I seem to remember a scene with TH where she spoke quite resentfully about how the two of them abandoned her. It's one of the rare occasions in which she sounds quite bitter. Oh yes, it's when she argues with him about cooking for the man with the Vietnamese wife. It's always been there just beneath the surface. We shouldn't forget too that she's had PTSD for the last 20 odd years as a result of the building collapse.

I actually think that she going off and doing her own thing this time is also a "coping mechanism" as you put it. I suspect that it is her way of protecting Kang and preserving their relationship in the long run. It's not that she doesn't love him anymore. She's as much in love with him as ever. (As told to us in the voice over) I imagine that she fears that all the negativity that she's bringing to the relationship could hurt him in the long run and damage their love for each other. After all she does want him to be happy... with her and at that point she feels that she can't make him happy.

Of course we can argue if that's true or just me putting a positive spin on things. ;) But I do think there's support and a context for thinking along these lines.

I personally believe that the separation was somewhat unnecessary even if understandable. However, when I take into consideration her personality, her trauma and precedence for certain behaviour, I can see rationale for why she did what she did. I think he understood her need for time away or time out as well.

7 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

surprisingly, the final scene in greece does not touch me as deeply.. maybe, i really wanted more OTP screen time.. :tired:

Yeah... that all happened rather quickly. At least she looked happy to see him. But the more I watch it, the more I appreciate it.

I really wanted more OTP time too but judging from the rest of the episode I suspect that the show really doesn't want us to think of it just as a romance but something much bigger than two people. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3