[Drama 2018] Happy If You Died/ Feel Good to Die, 죽어도 좋아

larus

39 minutes ago, partyon said:

@Lawyerh @angiedramadive Thanks for your replies. :)

I have to agree that emotion is very important in a relationship, but it's good to choose a man who is stable, is in touch with his own emotions, has empathy towards others etc. In that way, there will be mutual respect and trust in the relationship. Baek Jin Sang really didn't display those types of traits, so I guess I felt that it was "forced" that he ended up with Roo Da just because of KJH's popularity and him being the 1st lead... Which I found disappointing. It would be awesome to see more "nice guys" get the girl sometimes, too.

General rant, I know, but it's so tiring to see how often K-drama male leads are prickly narcissists (e.g. Secret Garden,  What's Wrong With Secretary Kim) who are mean to the girl in the beginning, yet somehow she manages to transform him into a loving guy. I mean, real life doesn't really work that way, does it? One person cannot change another. <end of rant> :D

I definitely see where you're coming from especially stopping where you did.   Personally, I often have 2nd lead syndrome myself.  However, I also hope you would go back to watch all of the drama to be fair.  

In this show, I don't think it is as simple that RD change BJS  She has a significant part in it, yes, but there are other factors that made it more plausible to me.  It usually take something big to initiate that change.  BJS didn't change right away.  Actually, he had many fail attempts before he asked for RD's help.  She helped point things out and the time loop experience made it even more clear.  He didn't just take her words for it, but he also notice things and take it in.  Even at the failed restaurant that he thought there was no hope, he acknowledge skills or capabilities when he sees it.  Example:  He was truly impress how manager handle all the phone calls.  It's just his approach is different since he's a logical person.  However, he will admit to which way is best.  This is why I don't see it as typical bad guy turn good scenario.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@partyon in real life i will also choose BJS type actually. Too stable and too stagnant relationship sometimes can be as much as killer compare with the too dynamic relationship as well.

Back to the drama, i found that not only BJS changed for RD. But RD herself also changed because of him. He disturb her inner self and challenged her to become more outspoken & not just trying to live in average mode (in later episode after time loop reset). I think this dynamic is interesting and surely will keep relationship alive in the long run.

And RD since beginning was always running towards BJS conciously & unconciously. I guess sometimes its just the case with " the heart just want what it wants ".

On the 2nd lead other drama you mentioned, i also knew

Reveal hidden contents

Fairy 2nd lead got the girl. I think its quite interesting phenomena. Too bad i dropped the drama. So cant comment much... hehe. 

You describe it perfectly.  They inspired and challenge each other.  I think that's why as a couple it's great because they help each other grow.

@phoenix24 Thanks for your viewpoint. You are right that I should probably go back and watch the whole show (think I stopped after ep 10). I just somehow became so bored as the drama lost some of its quirkiness and comedy I fell in love with initially. Actually, I would have been happy with romance being left out, and the drama focusing on the office scenes mainly. I do think that the drama really brought up a lot of very important themes about work life that many of us can relate to, and focusing on those would have been enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY love KJH! Have loved him since Lie To Me. :wub: I also think that he did an awesome job as Baek Jin Sang. I just didn't like the romance with Roo Da.

@Lawyerh

Spoiler

I respect your feelings and thoughts about relationships. Everyone should do as they feel best.

As an ahjumma I have had my fair share of "frogs" in my life :D, and often the older one becomes the more one starts to prefer stability in a relationship. Drama and jealousy aren't signs of real love. Mutual respect, empathy, trust and warmth cultivate real love. That's my opinion.

Also:

Spoiler

Hehe.... :D I also dropped the same drama. I watched episodes 1-2 and 15-16. From what I watched Geum seemed to be a very loving man, so good for the fairy to choose him again as her husband. :)

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

@phoenix24 Thanks for your viewpoint. You are right that I should probably go back and watch the whole show (think I stopped after ep 10). I just somehow became so bored as the drama lost some of its quirkiness and comedy I fell in love with initially. Actually, I would have been happy with romance being left out, and the drama focusing on the office scenes mainly. I do think that the drama really brought up a lot of very important themes about work life that many of us can relate to, and focusing on those would have been enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY love KJH! Have loved him since Lie To Me. :wub: I also think that he did an awesome job as Baek Jin Sang. I just didn't like the romance with Roo Da.

Oh don't worry I didn't take it that way.  Actually, KJH did such a good job at the beginning that I was thinking how am I going to root for this lead.

Yea, I can do with or without the romance.

50 minutes ago, partyon said:

@Lawyerh @angiedramadive Thanks for your replies. :)

I have to agree that emotion is very important in a relationship, but it's good to choose a man who is stable, is in touch with his own emotions, has empathy towards others etc. In that way, there will be mutual respect and trust in the relationship. Baek Jin Sang really didn't display those types of traits, so I guess I felt that it was "forced" that he ended up with Roo Da just because of KJH's popularity and him being the 1st lead... Which I found disappointing. It would be awesome to see more "nice guys" get the girl sometimes, too.

General rant, I know, but it's so tiring to see how often K-drama male leads are prickly narcissists (e.g. Secret Garden,  What's Wrong With Secretary Kim) who are mean to the girl in the beginning, yet somehow she manages to transform him into a loving guy. I mean, real life doesn't really work that way, does it? One person cannot change another. <end of rant> :D

I definitely agree with your rant! I think many dramas go with this flow bc it fulfills all girls's dream (to change their man). But for sure, it hardly or should not happen that way in real life. One person should find the reason to change for oneself! 

That's also the reason i don't quite like the way Jinsang changed in those eps in the middle of the drama. He just did things Ruda told him because he liked her and wanted to impress her. And that's so wrong!

But i see the writernim also saw that lacking so from then on, she tried to put Jinsang in situations that required him to change, for real. And thanks god! The man finally found his way on becoming a very good, reliable and empathy person. I can feel his sincere when he said he will change because if not he will hurt others and end up alone. 

So Jinsang at the beginning of the drama and at the end are like totally different persons! I understand that you felt the relationship 'forceful' when you don't get to see the transformation process of Jinsang (btw, KJH was hella talented in making this realistic & convincing). And for me, i would never accept JS if he was the same person at the beginning of the show :D

Maybe you can now catch up on those episodes to observe the man more clearly and let's see if he can prove his worth for Ruda to you? :lol:

16 minutes ago, partyon said:

Drama and jealousy aren't signs of real love. Mutual respect, empathy, trust and warmth cultivate real love.

Just wanted to note that Kang spent his entire relationship with Roo Da being jealous of her and Jin Sang. By the end of the show, Roo Da and Jin Sang are all about mutual respect, empathy, trust and warmth. Especially in the scene where they confirm their feelings for each other and go off walking hand in hand. Baek Jin Sang didn't just get the girl because he's the lead. He genuinely changed as a person because he wanted to change. He slowly but surely began to see his flaws and how much he hurt the people around him and he actively sought to correct these things not just because Roo Da wanted him to, but because it was the right thing to do. He is definitely a worthy romantic partner for Roo Da once he realizes his feelings and starts treating her well. As for Roo Da, she changed because of the time loop and her interactions with Jin Sang and she came to realize that she was always looking towards him, not Kang.

3 hours ago, partyon said:

In retrospect, another thing that kind of made me kind of sad about this drama, was to see how female employees are depicted in Korean dramas. Very few managers are female, and if a manager is a woman they are usually depicted as awful terrible ferocious women who will bite peoples' heads off

This was also addressed by the end of the show with Yu Si Baek. Definitely revisit the show! It does a good job of addressing everything you had an issue with. I agree though that the show lagged a bit in the middle when the time loop stopped, but this part of the show was necessary for future plot points.

I did my best to watch the last few episodes (albeit at times using the Fast Forward button). For me this drama just crashed and burned in the middle, and it does seem other people felt the same way as the ratings declined. It just never really recovered even in the end. A few thoughts:

• This drama would have been better had it been shorter - 16 episodes were too much
  • Roo Da was the main lead of this drama when it started - I felt like Baek Jin Sang took over the drama at some point and Roo Da faded in the background. So much for a strong independent female lead. :( 
  • Roo Da seems to fall for Kang by around ep 19-23. Yet after the time loop where Roo Da dies (which essentially Baek Jin Sang is responsible for), her feelings go back to square one and BJS is able to get a second chance. Since he during his second chance is able to "set things right" in the way he knows Roo Da would want him to act, he is able to get her to like him romantically. Even though she starts remembering everything before the time loop, her feelings have already changed, no?
    I am sorry, but this is highly manipulative of Baek Jin Sang. It sure is nice that it played so well out for him... Poor Kang though who got cheated big time.... :(
  • In the end I never felt that Baek Jin Sang SINCERELY wanted to become a good person and that he conveyed true empathy. For the most part of the drama he was a narcissist, and he only did good deeds so that Lee Roo Da would like him. He did those deeds so that he would gain something he wanted. Sorry to say, but a narcissist is not able to feel empathy. All things he does is so that he will benefit from it, and so I felt with Baek Jin Sang also.
  • Lee Roo Da and Mr. Kang would have been a better match in all aspects. Sure, Mr.Kang wasn't perfect in every sense either, but at least he wasn't a clinical narcissist like Baek Jin Sang. 
  • I wonder why the writers felt the need to change the webtoon ending?
  • On a positive note, it was good to see that a woman could become the CEO fair and square, but she acted so terribly before the last time loop, it still felt bittersweet. I still feel like Korean dramas need to have more NORMAL female managers and board members

All in all, I felt cheated of a good drama. It had great potential in the beginning with its comedy, yet important themes with regards to workplaces and work life. It's a pity that it lost its charm on the way. :(

14 hours ago, gm4queen said:

OH MY GOD!!!! So srry, dear! We had no idea that your fear has put you in such a dramatic trouble! :cold_sweat: How are you now..?! There's nothing to be afraid, dear! :open_mouth: Please come back to your normal self! IT'S NOTHING but just a song!!!! Don't take it seriously! :wub:

And I can't find you on FB either! I just tried to tag you a MV this morning, but you weren't there! :sweatingbullets:

And of course, we all know that you are somewhat addicted to Kang Ji Wan... But it's so sad to hear that your addiction has given you a panic attack! I am so disappointed!! :tears:

@gm4queen Don't feel guilty dear chingu. I have been unwell because of work pressure. I am not using FB these days. The panic attack is also related to my ill treatment by my boss. That's why I related to FGTD. :tears:

Thanks @Lawyerh @dramaninja @selenette for your kind words 

3 hours ago, partyon said:

I did my best to watch the last few episodes (albeit at times using the Fast Forward button). For me this drama just crashed and burned in the middle, and it does seem other people felt the same way as the ratings declined. It just never really recovered even in the end. A few thoughts:

At least you tried.  Everyone can accept or tolerate different things to which guy is the better one.  It can be a personal preference and that applies to us picking the one for ourselves and for the drama.  I don't see it as right or wrong.  Kang is a good guy too in my eyes.  Although I'm sure you miss some stuff fast forwarding especially in last few episodes.

• This drama would have been better had it been shorter - 16 episodes were too much
  • Roo Da was the main lead of this drama when it started - I felt like Baek Jin Sang took over the drama at some point and Roo Da faded in the background. So much for a strong independent female lead. :( 

I can see your disappointment in this as I've read that before from others too.  Although, I can see why because of storyline and 2nd time loop is to bring that part out.  I always saw both of them as leads because you can tell his reform was a big part of the plot.

• Roo Da seems to fall for Kang by around ep 19-23. Yet after the time loop where Roo Da dies (which essentially Baek Jin Sang is responsible for), her feelings go back to square one and BJS is able to get a second chance. Since he during his second chance is able to "set things right" in the way he knows Roo Da would want him to act, he is able to get her to like him romantically. Even though she starts remembering everything before the time loop, her feelings have already changed, no?
    I am sorry, but this is highly manipulative of Baek Jin Sang. It sure is nice that it played so well out for him... Poor Kang though who got cheated big time.... :(

Yea, maybe you would of been more convince if the writer didn't try to stress Jin Sang's love for RD hence the change, but show more of light bulb going off from what he's done to people in earlier episodes.  Not that it wasn't there but was overshadow by him asking what her thoughts were a lot of the time.  Responsible for her death is kind of strong.  He had no idea she was coming.  Responsible to me is planning it with her or still knowingly put her in harm's way.  It was an accident.  She chose to be there and accepted the danger.  I wouldn't want a love one to blame themselves for a choice I made like that.

I don't think he was just acting accordingly to what she wants to get her love.  He does know her better and to regain her true self, he did a lot of things she hated.  For example, still making her apologize, picking on the chopstick etc.  He still allow her alone time with Kang Joon too.  Shoot he even arrange a date for them.

• In the end I never felt that Baek Jin Sang SINCERELY wanted to become a good person and that he conveyed true empathy. For the most part of the drama he was a narcissist, and he only did good deeds so that Lee Roo Da would like him. He did those deeds so that he would gain something he wanted. Sorry to say, but a narcissist is not able to feel empathy. All things he does is so that he will benefit from it, and so I felt with Baek Jin Sang also.

I think about the auditorium scene.  He did that before knowing about the time loop and before liking RD.  As Director Na mentioned he's not someone that says something to get other people to like him.  This is why he have enemies from both above and below.

• Lee Roo Da and Mr. Kang would have been a better match in all aspects. Sure, Mr.Kang wasn't perfect in every sense either, but at least he wasn't a clinical narcissist like Baek Jin Sang. 
  • I wonder why the writers felt the need to change the webtoon ending?
  • On a positive note, it was good to see that a woman could become the CEO fair and square, but she acted so terribly before the last time loop, it still felt bittersweet. I still feel like Korean dramas need to have more NORMAL female managers and board members

Yea, I felt bittersweet about that too, but since she didn't do those things in 2nd time loop I don't hold it against her.  I prefer to look at the present.

All in all, I felt cheated of a good drama. It had great potential in the beginning with its comedy, yet important themes with regards to workplaces and work life. It's a pity that it lost its charm on the way. :(

Sorry you felt that way.  Any other drama you are enjoying now?

35 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

@gm4queen Don't feel guilty dear chingu. I have been unwell because of work pressure. I am not using FB these days. The panic attack is also related to my ill treatment by my boss. That's why I related to FGTD. :tears:

Thanks @Lawyerh @dramaninja @selenette for your kind words 

I can see your point clearly, dear! You are attracted to Fee Good To Die b'cause you yourself have the same experience. And I am so srry to hear that your boss is not good. May be you should shift your department or find another job. :wub: You shouldn't work there against your will...

And as for the youtube issue, it's a so normal experience for youtube users, dear! There's no big deal! I don't know what made you so fear over a youtube issue. It's not even a issue but a mere statement! So, don't think about it anymore & cheer up. A New Year is coming!!! :wub:

11 hours ago, partyon said:

I did my best to watch the last few episodes (albeit at times using the Fast Forward button). 

Hi @partyon nice to meet you here. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the drama.

I'm sorry for cutting your post for brevity and even bolded some of the words, but I read it. I think fast forwarding is the main problem here, since it will create a problem in understanding Baek Jin-sang's and Kang Joon-ho's facets that can't be conveyed in a fast forwarding mode.

First of all, I will state that

• I used to be Kang Joon-ho's supporter right until before he bulldozed his way in into Roo-da's life. 
  • I love both Gong Myung and Kang Ji-hwan as actors. I can't help it, they're both charming.

I only began to support Baek Jin-sang

• After he underwent his various turmoils at the dying franchise outlet, and
  • Especially so after he didn't disclose ALL of kindness acts to Roo-da even after the Time Loop reversal, therefore emphasizing his developed psyche. 

I will also state that 

Spoiler

Kang Mi-ro and Mr Baek of the webtoon were just as problematic, since the former essentially has been nursing a wound of social rejection from his childhood that was never properly addressed, while the latter used to be misogynistic to a T.

Ideally, for a woman of webtoon Roo-da's strength and independence, she should remain single or choose another person entirely. But that's only ideally. 

On The Drama's Main Male Characters

Now, concerning the drama's male characters. I will try to be objective here. :)

A. Kang Joon-ho

Kang Joon-ho is not Kang Mi-ro of the webtoon. 

Spoiler

1. Not only Kang Joon-ho started out as an overgrown, immature child, but he was also a rich, spoiled nepotism hire to boot (any episodes prior to Episode 25). The webtoon's Kang Mi-ro is a hardworking middle class man who once worked two jobs to earn his living. 
  2. Kang Joon-ho nearly harmed the safety of another human being due to jealousy (Episodes 23-24).
  3. He didn't care enough about his team mates as a dae-ri and manager (kwajang) (Episodes 1-16)
  4. He only began to care after he was forced to step up as a director (half-heartedly at the beginning, Episode 17, but improves after Episodes 18, and immensely in Episodes 25-26, 31-32).
  5. He repeatedly stated that what he looked for was a substitute for his parents (Episodes 11-14), and since he actually still had an extended family whom he falls out of touch with (any episodes prior to Episodes 27-32), he used Roo-da as a crutch, while in the webtoon Kang Mi-ro was interested in Roo-da for her own sake. 
  6. He bypassed Roo-da's promotion to Team Leader by not only moving upwards to the Manager (kwajang) position but straight to Team Leader (Episodes 9, 29, 32)

Therefore, no, Kang Joon-ho wasn't cheated by the reversal. In fact, he got what he always wanted (Episodes 14, 26).

These are: 

Spoiler

1. family who have meals together.
  2. friends (Roo-da, maybe Jin-sang as his new role model, and his other coworkers)

I admit that if only Kang Joon-ho was written as an earnest young man from the beginning, I will be torn between the two male leads when it comes to romance department, but as this wasn't the case, I wasn't. 

B. Baek Jin-sang

Baek Jin-sang is not "Mr Baek" of the webtoon either.

Spoiler

To sum it up, he isn't a clinical narcissist. You are mistaking him with the webtoon's "Mr Baek". 

1. Not only he saved at least two lives and improved the lives of at least another two, but he also never divulged these to Roo-da (Episodes 26-32). I will explore this on another section of this post. 
  2. Before Roo-da's death he tried to mend her relationship with Joon-ho at least once, without her knowing it and with full realization that it wouldn't do him well. (Episode 23).
  3. After Roo-da's death, he tried his best to move on. He decided to help Kang Joon-ho to make a difference. (Episodes 25-27)
  4. After the Time Loop reversal, he tried his best to hide his feelings. He still wanted her to approve of him now and then but it was more like "the approval of his supervisor of redemption project" rather than "to actively earn her love" (Episodes 27-32)
  5. In fact, he tried wholeheartedly to match Kang Joon-ho with Roo-da several times after the Time Loop reversal (Episodes 31-32). 
  6. He was floored by Roo-da's confession, proving that he wasn't expecting it at all. (Episode 32). 
  7. In the webtoon, Mr Baek is an incompetent old manager while in the drama Baek Jin-sang is a highly competent  and honest Team Leader (Episodes 1, 4, 7-8, 11-12, 15-16, etc).
  8. In the webtoon, Mr Baek is very vain about his looks while Baek Jin-sang isn't, at all. In fact, Roo-da told him that he "dressed horribly" (Episode 18). 

***

On These Main Male Characters' Motivations

Moving on to the motivations of both male characters. I will divide these as Roo-da and non Roo-da.

A. Motivated by Roo-da

Both Kang Joon-ho and Baek Jin-sang had, at some points, acted kindly for Roo-da's sake. So, Baek Jin-sang wasn't the only one who did this.  

This was shown in: 

Spoiler
  • Episodes 3-4 , 7-8, 18-21, 25-32 for Kang Joon-ho,

and

• Episodes 16, 18-21, 25-32 for Baek Jin-sang, respectively. 

B. Motivated by Non Roo-da

They both have been motivated by other reasons, but it's even more so in Baek Jin-sang's case. 

Let's see  how Kang Joon-ho fared in this aspect first. 

Spoiler
  1. Kang Joon-ho challenged his uncle to save the company, not for Roo-da but for his ailing grandfather (Episodes 16-17, 23)
  2. He later showed his competence at work without Roo-da's motivational words. (Episode 18, episodes 22-23)
  3. He saved his company from encroaching AI Capital. An action which was motivated partially by Roo-da, but largely by his company and the employees whom he had to save. He actively sought of Baek Jin-sang's assistance. (Episodes 25-26)
  4. He saved his uncle for his family's sake, not for Roo-da (Episode 32)
  5. Kang Joon-ho made peace with his father, partially from Roo-da's encouragement, but largely for his own peace of mind (Episode 32). 

So his motivations other than Roo-da was his family, his company's employees, and his inner peace. 

Next, let's see how Baek Jin-sang managed it. 

Spoiler

1. Without his feelings for Roo-da, Baek Jin-sang still defended her decision to leak the company's unfair policy (Episode 8)
  2. He also motivated the employees to stand up for themselves (Episode 8)
  3. He didn't defend himself from an irate customer partially to fulfill his promise to Roo-da, but even more to save the dying outlet (Episode 12)
  4. He bonded with his subordinates with and without Roo-da's knowledge: Park Yoo-deok, Lee Jung-hwa and Choi Min-joo (Episodes 21-26). 
  5. He tried to mend Joon-ho's relationship with Roo-da after her revelation about the Time Loop, knowing that it wouldn't do well for him (Episode 23). 
  6. He sought Kim Hyun-jung (and her father)'s forgiveness voluntarily after he realized what he did wrong (Episodes 23-24, 27)
  7. He made peace with Yoo Shi-baek of his own volition and he did these for the company, to find peace in himself, and for Yoo Shi-baek, not for Roo-da. (Episode 25, and some time during Episodes 26-27),
  8. He made an effort to improve Ahn Seon-nyeo's well being, without expecting Roo-da's and anyone else's approval, because he believed that he owed her his current mindset (Episode 31)
  9.  He saved a little boy's and Kim Hyun-jung's lives without Roo-da's advice, without her interference, without her ever knowing it (none of the people whom he saved was able to tell her too). (Episodes 26-27)

As for his better behavior after the revesal, he didn't do that to impress Roo-da in the sense of a lover/lover potential (since he had given up on pursuing her openly). He did that for the following reasons:

• she is his "supervisor of good deeds" (Episode 27) and because
  • he is essentially a principled man (as seen in Episodes 7-8, 11-12, 16, 24, 25-26, 27, 30,32). 

So his motivations other than Roo-da were: his principle of right and wrong, his dislike of sexual harrassment, his subordinates (who became his friends), his inner peace, and decency itself. 

So both male characters had been both selfless and selfish alternately, which is only human. :)

***

On Lee Roo-da as a Character

Spoiler

As for Lee Roo-da's disappearance into the background, I agree with you completely that there should've been a way in which the three main characters are portrayed in-depth.

This lack of exploration (of Lee Roo-da's innermost thoughts and feelings) also creates the problem for the viewers to interpret when and where exactly she falls for both Kang Joon-ho and Baek Jin-sang. 

Moving on to how she was positioned in regards to both male characters. 

• First, her feelings for Kang Joon-ho. 
Spoiler
  • Kang Joon-ho was rejected at least twice (Episodes 5-6, 8-10, Episodes 11-12)
  • She did see him as cute before they were dating, but only once (Episode 8)
  • Then out of the blue she accepted him as her boyfriend, with a sudden upsurge of emotion, as if she had fallen for him all along (Episodes 16, 17). 

I think this was done in order to abide by the webtoon's trajectory.

However, since Kang Joon-ho's characterization is completely diffferent from Kang Mi-ro's, it doesn't work well, other than portraying how cute Gong Myung and Baek Jin-hee would look together. And they did look cute together, don't get me wrong. (Episodes 14-18). 

• Second, her feelings for Baek Jin-sang. 

In my observation, Roo-da doesn't fall for Baek Jin-sang AFTER the Time Loop reversal (Episodes 27-32), but way BEFORE.

Spoiler

In my observation, these were the signs of her romantic feelings for Baek Jin-sang:

• After she realized that he was in grave danger, she desperately tried to activate the Time Loop, leaving Kang Joon-ho alone at the cinema after their date! (Episodes 18-19),
  • She prioritized staying up all night at Baek Jin-sang's house rather than answering Kang Joon-ho's calls (Episode 19),
  • Again, she left Kang Joon-ho alone to save Baek Jin-sang's life (Episodes 24).

What she told Kang Joon-ho in Episode 24's ending was "I'm sorry I have to leave you. I'll go to Mr Baek.

• Even Kang Joon-ho suspected all along before AND after the reversal that she had feelings for Mr Baek, because she always prioritized the latter when it comes to important, life or death matters (Episodes 10, 18-24). 

However, she began to care for Baek Jin-sang beyond the obligation of the Time Loop further back:

Spoiler

• After he defended her decision to leak the company's harmful policy, she began to see that he was capable of integrity and honesty (Episode 8),
  • Which was why she made sure to tell him to his face what he did wrong regarding Park Yoo-deok (Episode 10)
  • And afterwards she alone supported him when he was demoted harshly (Episodes 10-12),
  • And when he chased the perverse customer away (Episodes 15-16), and beyond that until she no longer thought of why she always put him first (Episodes 18-24)

Of course, the feeling wasn't romantic then (or she didn't ponder on it too much), because she rejected his embrace (Episode 17), but the progression of her feelings was still charted (it could've been better written). 

• Third, Roo-da's sister said and implied (Episodes 22, 32) that Roo-da had no experience regarding romance, meaning that she wasn't in touch with her own feelings in that department. 

But I admit that Roo-da's feelings were not well-explored. 

***

On Baek Jin-sang's supposed responsibility for Roo-da's Death

Spoiler

He felt (still feels, most likely) responsible for her death, but he actually isn't responsible for that. Her death was a terrible accident.

This is the chronology.

• Previously, he had actively attempted to stop her from protecting him, by lying to her about the attacker (to divert her thoughts from the attacks), by not telling her about the terror texts he'd been receiving, and by sending her away. But she always came back to help him. (Episodes 22-23)
  • Afterwards, she voluntarily stepped in to help him even though there were police officers present and despite the security guard's attempt to push her away. Neither Jin-sang nor the security guard pushed her, she lost her balance after grabbing Jin-sang (Episode 24)
  • As to why Jin-sang didn't stop the security guard's attack by himself, I see him as someone who isn't physically agile (Episodes 1-4, 8, 12, 30), as opposed to the actor, Kang Ji-hwan, who is. :D:D

***

On Yoo Shi-baek as a Character

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

***

On The Ratings

Spoiler

I don't think the changes to the webtoon trajectory is the only factor in its decrease, since I also see many viewers (Koreans and international) who returned to watching the drama after they were sure that the drama didn't follow the webtoon's trajectory. I think rather than blaming it solely on the plot, the presence of other dramas in the same slot must also be taken into account. 

***

On The Different Trajectories of the Webtoon and the Drama

Spoiler

Based on the webtoon artist's Q & A session at the closing chapter of the webtoon, many people supported Kang/Roo-da pairing, but many also supported Mr Baek/Roo-da, so I think the drama's writer did this to appease both sides of the shippers and to challenge the story (especially since the webtoon is so determined in condemning Mr Baek). 

In the end, I think a viewer's support for either Kang Joon-ho or Baek Jin-sang  or none of them as a romantic interest for our heroine depends on their personal preference of a character type, as @phoenix24 put it. So it's okay. ;):D *hugs*

That being said, I hope someday we can meet again in another thread. Have a nice day! :)

33 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

@selenette Did you go back to find the eps or did you remember it by heart?  Either way that is amazing.

@phoenix24Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm trying to novelize the drama (hahah, I'm only on Ep 1) so I've been taking notes and rewatching. I'm also trying to be objective, I used to only highlight Jin-sang's positive sides but to be fair Joon-ho wasn't that bad. His motivation beyond Roo-da was not properly explored before her death and the Time Loop's return. 

@weeinthailand I think I saw somewhere that he wouldn't attend the award, sadly. 

If Kang Ji-hwan attends it there'll be publication photos so let's check out the news. 

Also everyone, I'm sorry for my long post on the previous page. I tried not to make it long but it's still long and winding. I feel like I was past Jin-sang sometimes. Jeongmal mianhaeyo. 

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

Today 8.55pm korea time. Not to clear on live stream. I think it will be uploaded in YT not sure after how long. 

@gbrdi think you mentioned KJH not going to attend? Sorry if i misread tho... thanks for your info. 

I think it will be live on KBS Youtube. The KBS music award 2018 was also live on Youtube a couple of days ago :D

And @selenette, i enjoy all of your analyses alot! You've done an amazing job on putting your theses into particular proofs (hands down on nailing down the precise episodes!). I would love to hear more from you after you've done re-watching the show :D

Have a happy FGTD marathon holiday!

Thank you for your kind words, everyone, they ease my mind a bit from the thought of being an insufferable know-it-all. 

@nohamahamoud2002 I hope you'll get better soon, please make sure you have enough rest and support. More often than not,rude and harsh bosses hide their incompetence (well, some of these bosses are highly competent, just like Jin-sang, but not every one of them obviously), so I hope you can find a better situation. 

Archived