[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

At the first I read about the synopsis also told us how Sunny find a true love. But, I can feel that she is in a condition that make her in love. Nothing happen between her and Woo Bin, although we saw some sweet moment and jealousy, but... no development. Just protective toward each other till the end :bawling:

And GED death case and last wish make turn over... is a bit unfair to Sunny. It also means that she must be keep as Emperor wife. GED so in love with her grandson, how can although she know if his grandson tried to kill her grand daughter in law, and still make them together. Maybe marriage in imperial family is more about love. How can this about Sunny find true love. 

I know if Sunny must keep her position to take down imperial family, but did't GED know if it also make Sunny in a big danger all the time? 

Although maybe GED trust Sunny can solve everything, but... how if Sunny fail to manage the situation? Sunny maybe also will die, and GED suicide is futile, and ED , LH unbeatable because they're easily framing other person. 

I think Sunny must go, although it was GED last wish, just like how Woo Bin go from Lee Hyuk life forever. Sunny also must go! It's fair.. after imperial down, Sunny back to her previous life. Maybe she'll think about ARi, she really cares about her... she'll go with A Ri. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

To those who believe that there are supposed to be  no Sunny and Wang Shik romance since the beginning 

Some in this thread and many in SNS are trying to say how Sunny and Wang Shik were not supposed to be couple, just partner with same goal...I just remembered today that Jang Nara and Choi Jin Hyuk together presented the couple awards in 2018. Here's what they had to say on their love line..

Choi Jin Hyuk

Jang Na Ra

So they were presenting couple awards..CJH clearly told he wanted to have the couple award with Hwangu Mama and JNR clearly said though at this moment they're more focused in revenge than love but by next year they're supposed to fall in love. So she asked for support and interest from the viewers.

If anyone is interested to see the video i'm leaving the link bellow. It starts from 1:26:30.

So you see The Last Empress not only promised us Sunny - Wang Shik romance to the viewers but also to it's actors. Surely Choi Jin Hyuk and Jang Nara knew what they were talking about. So if the production don't want to go through the promise we'll know they had changed the story line at the last moment and obviously deceived us.

You've said it all! There was supposed to be romance (and well developed at that!) between them. 

I dunno...i think any loveline between Sunny-Bin got butchered when they made her marry Hyuk. But she won't be an empress if not through marriage. Unless granny didn't die so early, and she kicked Hyuk and ED out, disown everyone in the royal family, adopt Sunny and bestowed the thrown to her :P

There's this not so hidden thing in kdramaland that husband and wife will remain husband and wife in a drama despite it all. I can only recall two successful divorce between the main lead in kdramaland and I think I watch quite a lot of dramas. Other than that, they work their crap out and run together towards the sunset. Maybe because divorce is taboo to some?

I hope Sunny is happy at the end. Possibly far far far away from Korea and this messy monarch that I am sure she will burn down to the ground. Fighting Sunny! Though i do find Granny's suicide anticlimatic and somewhat dampened the revengy mood in TLE. Hua3

Okay I just read an article which said there would be a substitute actor for NWS.   Though I’m not sure  how accurate the news is, it makes sense.   We talked how central NWS’s part was in the plot line.  It seems the TLE team knows that they can’t just push off NWS.
If it’s true, then NWS will not die and there will be a happy ending for Sunny and NWS??
PS I didn’t translate it.  But if the news is true I’m sure there will be a translation.

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23381410&cloc=

On 2/17/2019 at 5:18 PM, daisybeen said:

I feel sorry for SN/WS. They're just characters in a drama, but the writer have made them so pitiful. Huhu.

I love this what you wrote about them: Sunny and WS are the central figures because their battle isn’t just about personal revenge.  Their low-keyed heartwarming relationship shows why they should triumph at the end against a group of noise, greedy, self-centered psychos. These two, Sunny and WS, are barely making a living. They can only offer a small gesture through a handful of food, an inexpensive red scarf, or a common little bandage.  But they know what is important and what is really needed in a relationship: trust and care.  JNR and CJH knew about their characters: Sunny is an empress and married.  They developed their slow burning chemistry which needed a lot more screen time than what they were given in order for the viewers to feel and appreciate the intensity and restraint underneath the slow burning.

This is an apt description of their relationship. I want to knock all the production team on their heads.

Thank you chingu  However I would like to say if it weren’t for other members’ insight here, I wouldn’t be able to arrive at such a point about TLE.    Watching kdrama  with soopmi can be a fun and interesting experience with right members. 

((THANK YOU EMPRESS GIRLS!!  :blush::blush: ))

1 hour ago, booha said:

Okay I just read an article which said there would be a substitute actor for NWS.   Though I’m not sure  how accurate the news is, it makes sense.   We talked how central NWS’s part was in the plot line.  It seems the TLE team knows that they can’t just push off NWS.
If it’s true, then NWS will not die and there will be a happy ending for Sunny and NWS??
PS I didn’t translate it.  But if the news is true I’m sure there will be a translation.

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23381410&cloc=

I tried translating the article via google translate. But the trans were messy. I'm sure a nice translation will be out if the news of a substitute actor for NWS is true~

But i did i learn that Sunny-Hyuk has a nickname! They are called 오이커플 aka 'cucumber couple'.

Honestly, I am surprised they even have a nickname. Cucumber is a play on their names Oh Sunny 오써니 and Lee Hyuk 이혁.

Still..i find 'cucumber' is a funny nickname for anything. Hahaha

1 hour ago, booha said:

am trying to imagine how this will happen... will he get surgery, put on weight due to steroid medicines and turn back into rocky bear? will he get bashed in the head again, have spasms and so they are forced to cut his face and voila, new face? or maybe he will eat some of those poppy in the island and magically turn into someone else and we only see his back and hear his voice? ^_^

New one here... 

I started watching just 2 weeks ago this drama so I don't care with who Sunny end but I found sad the story had major changes throug the middle one can feel that the plot is not the same as in the beggining, notice thay NWS (CJH) was lesser important in the drama and they gave more relevance to the Emperor (I do like him, SSR is so far extraordinary, it remind me sometimes his previous work in Return).

Oh Sunny and the Emperor had a korean nickname... it's possible the story changed due to korean viewers?  I don't know but if they have a nickname and had a strong fanbase that could explain the whole change in the plot.

I hope this drama gives a good closure, the bad ones need to be punished. 

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

am trying to imagine how this will happen... will he get surgery, put on weight due to steroid medicines and turn back into rocky bear? will he get bashed in the head again, have spasms and so they are forced to cut his face and voila, new face? or maybe he will eat some of those poppy in the island and magically turn into someone else and we only see his back and hear his voice? ^_^

Please turn back to Rocky Bear and end it in such an amazing 360 fashion lol. This drama will achieve cult status if Rocky Bear returns.

@Minwae I personally think so; which is a shame - they should stick to strong story not pleasing to viewer's feedback in real time. 

51 minutes ago, Minwae said:

New one here... 

I started watching just 2 weeks ago this drama so I don't care with who Sunny end but I found sad the story had major changes throug the middle one can feel that the plot is not the same as in the beggining, notice thay NWS (CJH) was lesser important in the drama and they gave more relevance to the Emperor (I do like him, SSR is so far extraordinary, it remind me sometimes his previous work in Return).

Oh Sunny and the Emperor had a korean nickname... it's possible the story changed due to korean viewers?  I don't know but if they have a nickname and had a strong fanbase that could explain the whole change in the plot.

I hope this drama gives a good closure, the bad ones need to be punished. 

Welcome to the thread :D. I assume you are now up to date with the episodes~ ehehe

I find kviewers like to give nicknames to a lot of things. Sometimes at random things. Lol

3 hours ago, booha said:

Now I’m getting where stars land nostalgia.

is it possible they will use rocky bear as the sub actor? Like he gets brain surgery and goes back to looking how he used to?

So it's finale week of The Last Empress ... hopefully Writernim wud be bringing a logical end to this drama...which have a been full of twist & turns from day1 ...

It had been a wild ride since it's first episode...With CJH, out of picture now I may not be following the finale week ...

But still, my guess about the ending, it might go the "where stars land" way ....

& Sunny will work for punishing Hyuk or whatever the situation will be ... &  they might show WangShik, just disappear from the Island, & he went ahead for surgery & may not survive through it....& If he survives through, he leftback to his hometown ...& in epilogue may be they will bring the original fatty WangShik raising DongShik...

As for HyukSunny I see a happy end for two of them ...

I just want to share some of my fave gifs. Hyuk and and his mum are so extra = great gifs. 

Here's one of my fave Hyuk gif.

k8QK5x.gif

Hahahahaha. Gun whipping Hyuk is the best :lol:

Here's one my fave gif of evil mum.

wmMJvz.gif

Isn't she so relatable here? That's me lounging at home. Lol

5 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

There's this not so hidden thing in kdramaland that husband and wife will remain husband and wife in a drama despite it all. I can only recall two successful divorce between the main lead in kdramaland and I think I watch quite a lot of dramas. Other than that, they work their crap out and run together towards the sunset. Maybe because divorce is taboo to some?

only two? have seen so many dramas where they split up but it ends on a peaceful note. as in they no longer hate each other and somehow move on. usually the girl lead will have someone cool by her side like wang shik and she will then officially have a romance with him... so not that uncommon (at least in daily/weekend dramas)....

10 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

only two? have seen so many dramas where they split up but it ends on a peaceful note. as in they no longer hate each other and somehow move on. usually the girl lead will have someone cool by her side like wang shik and she will then officially have a romance with him... so not that uncommon (at least in daily/weekend dramas)....

Hahaha. I usually watch primetime dramas, and i can only recall 2 dirvoces on the fly : one in 'on the way to the airport' and recently in 'liver or die'. There might be others that I forgot. I did watch weekender My Daughter Seoyoung but I can't recall if they got divorced or not. :sweatingbullets:

3 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Hahaha. I usually watch primetime dramas, and i can only recall 2 dirvoces on the fly : one in 'on the way to the airport' and recently in 'liver or die'. There might be others that I forgot. I did watch weekender My Daughter Seoyoung but I can't recall if they got divorced or not. :sweatingbullets:

ah, I see.. so yea, I don't watch too many prime time dramas...there are quite a few weekend dramas where there is one divorce among the four couples and them starting anew.. for example, in laurel tailors, the main leads were both divorcees with awful ex-spouses who create all sorts of trouble and eventually, these two get married...  so yea, dramaland does have re-united ex-spouses trope but there are lots of dramas where folks get divorced and move on...

Just now, daisybeen said:

You've said it all! There was supposed to be romance (and well developed at that!) between them. 

Yeah..If I see the writer not addressing that in the end I'll know the writer is not strong enough to hold o to her own writing. it's okay to develop more complex villain because a part of viewers enjoy his character but it's not okay if she changes the romantic aspect of the story entirely by romanticizing the wrong side.

Just now, katakwasabi said:

I dunno...i think any loveline between Sunny-Bin got butchered when they made her marry Hyuk. But she won't be an empress if not through marriage. Unless granny didn't die so early, and she kicked Hyuk and ED out, disown everyone in the royal family, adopt Sunny and bestowed the thrown to her :P

Why'd marrying Hyuk butcher Sunny-Bin. Just because one marries wrong doesn't mean she has to hold on to the wrong marriage. Sunny is not an Empress of Joseon Era, She's the Empress of modern era. Lee Hyuk is a wrong partner for her in so many levels but because of prejudice she has to stick to the wrong marriage?? I think we're forgetting that Sunny came to imperial Family second time for revenge not to secure Lee Hyuk's affection.

The drama promised us fight against injustice not succumbing to prejudice. Sunny-Bin found each other while fighting against this injustice. I don't see any wrong in pursuing their romance. Sunny now wants to bring down Imperial Family. If the monarchy got destroyed in the process she won't be Empress anymore. 

I can recall three successful  divorce in Kdrama  and one of them is from a prime time family drama rest are mini series. I'm sure there are more. While watching kdrama for almost 6 years, I thought Kdrama projects more open minded ideas despite many prejudice existing in their society.

But right now, my intuition is telling me that the writer will not be showing us anything directly on Sunny-Wangshik romance after the mess they made with Na Wang Shik character and CJH.

But I'll still be hoping the writer will not be showing us that Sunny choose to be with Lee Hyuk because he is her husband(!). Sunny deserves way way way better. She's done being a fangirl. 

lpNssnd.png&key=3f3ab28a12022cf6eb7b30f8

I absolutely love Oh Sunny (Jang Nara JJang!awesomely portrayed Oh Sunny) character and her development through out the drama. It will be very sad if I see that they make her weak against prejudice.

I really hope TLE won't butcher my favorite characters in the drama one by one. If that happens I won't know how to deal with this double blow! :bawling:

Just now, philosophie said:

Now I’m getting where stars land nostalgia

@philosophie give me spoilers I don't mind. I saw this tweet and got interested in knowing how they messed up?

Spoiler

Archived