[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

18 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

@Super Gal99 ~ waaah, so happy to see you! :kiss_wink:

okay, am feeling quite disappointed that we won't see any wang shik in the last 4 episodes.. but I am going to cross my fingers that the writer knows what she is doing... so from a writer's perspective, the main lead and character was always sunny. if we see the synopsis, it was about a naive girl marries into the imperial family and then fights corruption along with the help of the mysterious bodyguard. so while we the audience are disappointed, it is not necessary that he is there the entire journey. how many hero stories we have seen where the final leg has to be done by the person alone.

so in that sense, it is doable if wang shik disappears somewhere for surgery (waaah, I don't want to to think that he dies from bullet) and she completes her task and then a few years later, she gets a call or sees a mysterious stranger at her doorstep and we see her smile... if it turns out like that, I can still like this drama without regrets. otherwise, such is life. on to the next drama! :D

Agree with you...ok must be think positive...:D

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First the story keep circling around with no ending its like a cat chasing his own tail.

They make Yu Ra the perfect devil but then she is forgiven and building alliance with the leads as the story created that she doing that because of Joon Sang.... because she is looking for her lover which is Joon Sang... so what happen with the first episodes where she was Wang Shik lover??? so she's playing double love life or triple love life???

then the grandmother turns out killed her self... oke last night episodes was all disappointed .... why did I see this whole time... makjang plot.

then CJH won't be appearing in next episodes... then the last time I saw him is fighting the boys at the island.. that's it... the writer is really annoying... then why the writer create Na Wang Shik after all....

OmG. So he won't appear anymore. What's the closure between him and LH????? I really want them to finish it. I mean solve it. Wth is this. But actually LH always have more screen time than him. I think the real lead is actually LH is not him. I'm so disappointed with this. I'm all set up to finally accept the fact and support NWS all the way and now this happened. So sad.

14 minutes ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

First the story keep circling around with no ending its like a cat chasing his own tail.

They make Yu Ra the perfect devil but then she is forgiven and building alliance with the leads as the story created that she doing that because of Joon Sang.... because she is looking for her lover which is Joon Sang... so what happen with the first episodes where she was Wang Shik lover??? so she's playing double love life or triple love life???

There was no double love life. She became Wang Shik's lover after Joon Sang went missing.

30 minutes ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

then the grandmother turns out killed her self... oke last night episodes was all disappointed .... why did I see this whole time... makjang plot.

then CJH won't be appearing in next episodes... then the last time I saw him is fighting the boys at the island.. that's it... the writer is really annoying... then why the writer create Na Wang Shik after all....

Errrr did u watch the early episodes? First, she actually lovers with KJS and pregnant with his son(maybe). Then KJS suddenly missing and he goes back to NWS family. This is when she started to have relationships with NWS. After she got back and pregnant they start it.  Even her mom pushing NWS to her. To be her lovers and tell him to protect YR & DS. There is also flashbacks showing this. Maybe you miss it? 

I can’t help but think that there was some internal conflict that happened ever since the show focused heavily on LH’s character. I just hope it doesn’t affect the relationships of the actors offscreen. 

The plot has been going in circles for the past few weeks and the preemptions certainly didn’t help. They shouldn’t have went through with the extension.

I am very disappointed to hear the news today. Why bother to extend if there is a conflict in the schedule especially for such an important character in the drama. I don’t know when they decided on the extension. We only had 1 episode last week.. therefore the original epi 24 was supposed to end on Wednesday this week if the extension did not happen.  I am pretty sure this was all filmed prior to the lunar new year week. It does not make sense to bring WS back into the palace as an inspector if this schedule has not been worked out.  I believe there could be more than a schedule conflict but again I do not wish to speculate. I accept and respect the decision of the team and I will continue to think positive that the writer will explain nicely what happened to him. I am also hoping as what @Lmangla mentioned that he went for a surgery and appear later or better still the original pleasantly round WS re appears.

To be honest I don’t think I can accept the ending as he disappeared and died without even completimg his revenge nor can I accept that LH suddenly flips to be good again. Sunny ending up with LH was never even crossed my mind right from the beginning.

The character an of WS/Wb suffered too much in TLE.  It would have been more acceptable to me if they killed his character off in the face off with LH in epi 45-46 and have Sunny continued his revenge.

the writer is seriously annoying me now. This could have been wrapped up nicely in 48 episodes. One of the biggest reason for Sunny to stay in the palace and go through all this suffering was to clear her name and find out the true murderer of GED.  Having GED killing herself just makes Sunny’s quest to be in vain.

CJH has been phenomenal in portraying the role of WS/WB so well. This is one of the most challenging character he has ever played and every scene he acted in is so on point.when he came back as an inspector of audit, he brought in another facet of wangshik.. a more mature and calm.  I am really really sad to see him go. :unsure:

Maybe I'm wrong but one thing I point out that Sunny seems deeply in love with Wang Sik. So many times she defence him in front of others and even give herself to be shot. Last night when Hyuk asked her feelings and threathen she must not see him again otherwise he'll kill him, she even back to choke him saying before Hyuk kill Wang Sik, she will kill Hyuk first. It's kinda fix that Sunny Wang Sik love each other but they just can't express it to kepp the empress's dignity as well as Bodyguard's dignity XD.

Too bad guys. Choi Jin Hyuk won't appear on the next episodes since he had set up fan meeting schedule. I think the writer will just make his character died. Last night was the last episode for him. Aggghhhh... so sad can't see him in this drama anymore. Why they should extend? And how can they decided to extend without asking whole casts. 

3 hours ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

Errrr did u watch the early episodes? First, she actually lovers with KJS and pregnant with his son(maybe). Then KJS suddenly missing and he goes back to NWS family. This is when she started to have relationships with NWS. After she got back and pregnant they start it.  Even her mom pushing NWS to her. To be her lovers and tell him to protect YR & DS. There is also flashbacks showing this. Maybe you miss it? 

55 minutes ago, PutriSalju said:

Too bad guys. Choi Jin Hyuk won't appear on the next episodes since he had set up fan meeting schedule. I think the writer will just make his character died. Last night was the last episode for him. Aggghhhh... so sad can't see him in this drama anymore. Why they should extend? And how can they decided to extend without asking whole casts. 

Guys guys, the new NWS might be can't appear, but the old fat NWS maybe can. Who knows if he got surgery and survived but lost his memory and then got back to his old self. Maybe he eat too much again and become fat again. So the NWS original actor will be back. Just my guess. Hahahahahaha

That's disappointing news to hear that we won't get a closure for NWS for next week.

Although I was never a fan of the subtle romance between Sunny and NWS (and no, I'm not a fan of the toxic romance between LH and Sunny too), it's just sad that Sunny's shiny knight is gonna MIA on the finale.

I'm just gonna watch to see how they wrap up the ending and what will befall on evil Nanny and irritating ED. 

@Kasmic    You are not alone. I love him, too.

Suddenly they make him sad again, and I was crying throughout the final half of the last episode. They open it with his nightmare, and then he wakes up and looks desperately for her...oh God, so heartbreaking when he finally finds her asleep on the sofa. So I guess this is what the writer thought when he found out that Jin hyuk wouldn't be filming the last two episodes, "Damn, I made Hyuk a crazy beast in Episode 23, because I thought that Jin hyuk would be around....oh dear, guess I'll have to bring back Sad Hyuk and Good Hyuk again...." WHAM! It starts exactly as if we had never seen Crazy Hyuk forcing himself on "his woman", and grandly declaring, "I'll make you stay with me, next to me, for the rest of your life"...the threat there from a crazed mind, yet when the second part continues, hey, Hyuk's no longer crazy, he's changed from threatening to pleading, "Please don't leave me, please stay with me"....and what do you know, it worked!!!! I bawled my eyes out, and was ecstatic that he had become Sad Hyuk again.  Next scene was even more surreal, Yoon is awake! And speaking brotherly-friendly to Hyuk, and Hyuk is all soft and gentle with him! And they go trap Horrid Kang together, and I tell myself, wait, is this a dream? This is not happening, right? Cos the last time they were at each other's throats and Hyuk was snarling like a sexy wolf at him, and Yoon was in a coma ( it's interesting to note that his brain wasn't working the way it should long before that, too, the way he unleashed his half-baked plans) and was not supposed to wake up, and even if he did, he was supposed to be brain-damaged, but hey, he's up and fine, and has even combed his hair, and said, shhh, only the Empress knows I'm awake....did I miss that? Did they show a scene of him waking up? What is going on here? Do I care as long as Sad Hyuk is back? Not. A. Jolt. They absolved him of Grandmother's death, too. If those are not signs that Our Villainous Hero or Heroic Villain is back on track on the long-awaited Road to Redemption, then I don't know why I'm even writing this tirade in the first place.

My predictions for next week

Hyuk will be the whole show. He will romp and rage and cry and plead for love. She will reject him. Again. He will die tragically saving her. Or he will go to prison. I rather think it will be the former. This guy deserves a grand exit because he is larger than life, and the first villain I have fallen in love with since I started watching Korean dramas a long, long time ago.

Woo bin will disappear quietly, and his demise mentioned in passing. Or he will surface as Old Him with The Other Face. It'll be okay, because we'll just have to pretend that it is Hot Him. I suggest getting cut-outs of Choi Jin Hyuk's faces with different expressions - happy, sad, angry, very angry, super angry - and placing over Old Chubbs' face if he should appear. Have them in distant and close-up shots, just in case. 

2 hours ago, jbeanie1709 said:

CJH has been phenomenal in portraying the role of WS/WB so well. This is one of the most challenging character he has ever played and every scene he acted in is so on point.when he came back as an inspector of audit, he brought in another facet of wangshik.. a more mature and calm.  I am really really sad to see him go. :unsure:

while watching wednesday's episode, was really struck by how theatrical SSR is in terms of portraying lee hyuk. was reminded of the article that someone posted (was it @katakwasabi?)  that he has a theatre background and so brings that theatre mindset to playing characters. so when you have such kind of acting, it can see a bit too loud if you don't have a good balance effect from the other character opposite you...

am reminded of this local actor A who is famous for this scene in this movie (like when folks think of him, they think of that scene) and he always reminds people that it is because of the other actor B in that scene who chose to underplay and that created magic. now actor B was also really famous and so could have also tried to outshine actor A but instead focused on the script and character.. so actor A said the scene was perfect only because of actor B ..

so from that perspective, think wang shik was a great foil. choi jin hyuk did a great job of showing a character that adapted to his situation.. so bodyguards need to be stiff and anonymous and in control of emotions but yet you see glimpses of the old wang shik... like @stroppyse mentioned, wang shik has this great sneer without actually sneering and that was fun to watch -- like we are in on this joke but no one else is.. .

from the bts scenes, it looked like the actors were having a blast and not necessarily some competition over how many scenes each one had... so would prefer to think that it was simply a scheduling issue from choi jin hyuk. for a few weeks, there has been a huge question mark on whether there would be extension or not.. perhaps, the scheduling caused a headache where he genuinely could not commit and the writer finally figured out a way to write without him and said okay, lets have extension.. am hoping that is the case and so we get a good wrap of the story however it turns out. but yea, will definitely miss wang shik. :unsure:

I feel cheated watching this drama and synopsis. I thought the writer could give justice to one victim which is Na Wang Sik. But nope. She wasted her script with so unimportant Hyuk's scenes without realizing the dateline to finish her writing ontime. Very disappointed. What Jin Hyuk done mostly fighting ang getting slaps. I don't even care how the wrap up the story because from middle of epusodes I think she changed the story's direction. Guys, nice to chat with you all. Bye 

Why are writers being so dirty to my favortie actors. First it was MOTA and now this. 

I guess they deemed his character as insignificant to extend the show even tho he wouldn´t be able to appear. That is such an insult. :rage:

With the news that CJH will not be available for the finale..it seems my speculation of another OST with Bin on its cover is way offfffff :sweatingbullets:

On 2/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, katakwasabi said:

Anyways. I have a feeling there might be another OST. Click spoiler tab

Hide contents

Disclaimer: this is pure speculation. 

I think it is possible there is another ost. The last one will have Bin on its cover.

And i also think the reason my fave OST Not Over by Gaho played during Sunny and Hyuk ep 46 end scene is because it is their theme song. As evident from the song cover image. (I really like this song, but now i remember Hyuk pushing Sunny when i hear it. Dang! Way to spoil my song listening mood :sweatingbullets:)

List of TLE ost title with its cover images

1. What Would It Be 

2. Not Over 

3. If I Convey My Heart 

4. Deep Voice 

5. For Only One Day

6. Open Ending 

I just finished last night's episode. Honestly, this is the first time I am feeling lost with where the story is heading. I don't mind introduction of new character towards the end of dramas, but the number of new characters we're seeing here is just....??.....:huh:

Was just about to comment that I'm excited that NWS entered the palace again now as himself and as part of the team from Internal Affairs, but then reading the news about him not appearing in the episodes next week?? :huh:

I agree with what stroppyse said below:

On 2/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, stroppyse said:

Is this drama ending yet? I guess it's not ending till next week, so they introduced a new Dowager Empress to act as regent for AR. It feels very late in the game to introduce yet another character, but I guess the writer is running out of twists to throw in to extend the story. I feel as if the audience is finally becoming bored of this drama, however. The imperial family doesn't feel as dark, evil, and all-powerful any more though. It's starting to look more like a dysfunctional family that one might see on a sensationalist American talk show, e.g. Jerry Springer. I think the writer has sacrificed too much for the twists and switching character alliances to make this drama as satisfying as had been expected. It's definitely not the same level of addictive as it was in the first half of its run. Too bad.

Definitely not as addicting anymore :( but I am staying to watch all the awesome acting from the cast, and just ignore the plot.

7 hours ago, laivla said:

courious about something

Is this something that unexplained yet or .. just a bit another error of this drama?

How the message hide in the GED box? Who done this? We clearly see if GED killed herself, then... the letter just put in the table before she die, and we found Sunny get this letter sealed and have a stamp on the envelope.

I'm wondering the same thing. That scene was odd. If she killed herself like so, how did she even managed to hide the letter in that trunk? And I didn't like that she killed herself like that and turned everyone's life upside down. To think that Asst.Choi died also because of her death. That was so irresponsible... Although I wonder if that has been meant as the plot from the beginning since that scene must have been shot much much earlier while the actress was still on board.

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

okay, am feeling quite disappointed that we won't see any wang shik in the last 4 episodes.. but I am going to cross my fingers that the writer knows what she is doing... so from a writer's perspective, the main lead and character was always sunny. if we see the synopsis, it was about a naive girl marries into the imperial family and then fights corruption along with the help of the mysterious bodyguard. so while we the audience are disappointed, it is not necessary that he is there the entire journey. how many hero stories we have seen where the final leg has to be done by the person alone.

so in that sense, it is doable if wang shik disappears somewhere for surgery (waaah, I don't want to to think that he dies from bullet) and she completes her task and then a few years later, she gets a call or sees a mysterious stranger at her doorstep and we see her smile... if it turns out like that, I can still like this drama without regrets. otherwise, such is life. on to the next drama! :D

I was never into the romance angle of this show, although that would be a bonus if there is. I'm more intrigued about the things happening and of course about the corpse shown on ep.1. But now that it's clear who the corpse was, I'm not understanding the point/purpose of the drama anymore. Esp.with the extension. But I will join you in trying to have faith that the writer and production know what they're doing, since I believe any extension would not be decided without careful consideration.

4 hours ago, triplem said:

Choi Jin Hyuk’s agency, G-Tree Creative, also made the announcement, saying, “Due to scheduling conflicts, Choi Jin Hyuk is not appearing in [‘The Last Empress’] after yesterday’s episodes. Because of a previously scheduled fan meeting in Taiwan, it was unavoidable that he wrap up filming.”

I'm sad that he won't be in the drama anymore, but I should be happy that he's coming to Taiwan. Now to see if I can find out his itinerary and be there to see him in person! And only if it's FOC, because I'm stingy like that :P I've promised myself not to spend a penny for my kdrama addiction. Too much money was already spent for the TWICE albums that my daughter kept pestering me to buy <_<

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

while watching wednesday's episode, was really struck by how theatrical SSR is in terms of portraying lee hyuk. was reminded of the article that someone posted (was it @katakwasabi?)  that he has a theatre background and so brings that theatre mindset to playing characters. so when you have such kind of acting, it can see a bit too loud if you don't have a good balance effect from the other character opposite you...

am reminded of this local actor A who is famous for this scene in this movie (like when folks think of him, they think of that scene) and he always reminds people that it is because of the other actor B in that scene who chose to underplay and that created magic. now actor B was also really famous and so could have also tried to outshine actor A but instead focused on the script and character.. so actor A said the scene was perfect only because of actor B ..

so from that perspective, think wang shik was a great foil. choi jin hyuk did a great job of showing a character that adapted to his situation.. so bodyguards need to be stiff and anonymous and in control of emotions but yet you see glimpses of the old wang shik... like @stroppyse mentioned, wang shik has this great sneer without actually sneering and that was fun to watch -- like we are in on this joke but no one else is.. .

from the bts scenes, it looked like the actors were having a blast and not necessarily some competition over how many scenes each one had... so would prefer to think that it was simply a scheduling issue from choi jin hyuk. for a few weeks, there has been a huge question mark on whether there would be extension or not.. perhaps, the scheduling caused a headache where he genuinely could not commit and the writer finally figured out a way to write without him and said okay, lets have extension.. am hoping that is the case and so we get a good wrap of the story however it turns out. but yea, will definitely miss wang shik. :unsure:

Yes. SSR is active in the musical scene. I do think his experience in musical/theatre helps with playing out cray2 and theatrical Hyuk. But I don't think its to an extent that he influenced the character to be theatrical or brought a theatrical mindset into this. The writing and directing also molds Hyuk's characterization.

I might have spazz about SSR a lot, but I do think all the actors in TLE played to their strength too. CJH was given little material compared to JN and SSR. But he acted so well given the material and characterization he had. And like you said, NWS being stoic is a great contrast to Hyuk. Unfortunately imo, NWS's characterization is so thin from the get go. Its a miracle the character can survive so long, and that is the power of CJH. He stood his ground in a sea of characters doing ridiculous stuff and despite it all still shine through. 

I said this before: the story takes place in a palace, with an emperor still on the throne, an ED, a lady married said emperor, an empress died in the palace, the GED died in the palace. It is inevitable the story will focus on people in the palace walls and those directly related to them. To be honest I don't see how else they can fledge out NWS/WB. 

Let's see how they wrap this in the end. I do hope we have some closure for NWS. Maybe they have some extra footage that has yet to be aired.

P/s: bear Bin might reappear~ NWS is happier, he ate, grew his hair out and return to his original size hehehe 

Archived