[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

30 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

Thank you @bebebisous33 for all the effort you’ve put these past months on making very detailed anaylses of the characters and scenarios of this drama.

I’m gonna miss reading them all :tears: but seriously, thank you. You are one of the reasons why I think of Encounter as a drama for intelligent people. Not everyone can understand its depth and subtlety. Two elements I really love in literature, theater and film 

Thanks a lot for the compliment. Yes, it is true that the writing was very subtle hence so good. By the way, I tagged you to the other drama I am currently watching. I hope, you don't mind. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Valentine's Day, the man who wants to give chocolate Star is the first place?

Article Approval 2019.02.11 09:26:49

1066488_839594_2726.jpg

Seoul = International News) Kim, Yang-hee reporter = February 14 Valentine's Day, girls who want to give the chocolate Who is the male entertainer?

A questionnaire survey of 300 girls who majored in acting, models, broadcast movies, broadcast MCs, dance, and practical music at the Seoul Arts Institute (SAC) conducted a survey of male celebrities who wanted to give Valentine's Day chocolate And actor Park Bo-gum took first place. Park, who has been selected as the top TV recently, received a great love from viewers as "Kim Jin-hyuk", who is free from TVN drama "Boyfriend" and has a clear soul. She was very tender and black, but she showed a lot of emotion.

Cha, who was second in the rankings, is a member of the idol group Astro and is an active actor. He is also a big-name entertainer with a title called 'Face Genius'. 

Kim Yang-hee reporter yanghee722@gukjenews.co.kr

<Copyright Holder © International News Reprint and redistribution prohibited>....source credit @http://m.gukjenews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1066488#_enliple
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, NongpeeP said:

@bebebisous33

Thank you for your analysis and observation over pages, I have spent weekend reading them all and rewatching Encounter / Boyfriend. 

What KJH can do to mitigate CSH's changing her mind from her concern to KJH the best he can :

1. When KJH keeps his promise seriously, he asked CSH promise not to remove her couple ring from the finger again;

2. KJH tried to directly get familiar with CSH's father to let him consider KJH can bear obstacles and impact from being with CSH.

As audiences knew, CSH's mind changing partially resulted from CSH's father in ep.8; and

3. KJH let KJH's mom get familiar with CSH by bringing CSH to join his family's meals quite often to let his family see how he has spent life being with CSH and how CSH get along with his family. 

KJH's mom is the reason why CSH changed her mind to break up with KJH.

Hide contents

I like this twitter's observation about KJH&CSH's life together, who will cook? Even CSH have a cooking skill from learning but the last scene, they mentioned like KJH's routine duty to cook. 

After a year JH was promoted. But after their wedding will he stay in that position or promoted again? Knowing JH, it may sound favoritism. But being the husband of the CEO is different from being in a some relationship or being the boyfriend. I remember that scene where they went to rhe stock room and SH called him director , will it now become reality? Director Kim Jin Hyuk:)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 9
  • Love 4

58 minutes ago, Cheryl295 said:

Chingus, when did CSH and KJH became official? I am confused when did they upgrade to BF-GF from pre relationship stage  :lol:

In the episode 8, when CSH spent her afternoon with him before his departure to Sokcho. She declared to her driver Nam that she would go on a date. On the other hand, KJH had said in the episode 7 that he wanted to be her boyfriend (episode 7) as he had no longer doubt about his feelings. CSH teased him as she said that he could consider himself her boyfriend but she was still in a some-relationship. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

THANK YOU @bebebisous33

I come to this thread everyday, but when i knew you were writing about the traces of Alice in Wonderland in Encounter, i decided to read it in proper time, not just in a glance. 

I really really appreciate all of your precious analyses. i know i keep saying this, but it's true, your analyses is mind blowing, as always. I remembered some of us were afraid that what KJH and CSH experienced was only a dream, because of the Alice in Wonderland book that he held, but you were persistent and convinced that it wasn't. 

Soo Hyun experiences has put her into insecurity, something that is too good to be true, can not be reality. So, i totally get it, why Jin Hyun first sentence when they were reconcile was, don't be sorry, thank you for being brave..

accepting reality, whether good or bad, always need courage. 

Once again thank you @bebebisous33

:heart:

About when they became official, i remember i also asked this many pages ago, some of us said, maybe it was @NongpeeP or @stardustvoid  or @bebebisous33 who wrote that it was when they took selfie at CSH apartement and CSH said this 

UJoh6t7.jpg

And also, in the final episode, in the first scene of the last flashback (after he took picture of her), is the one with the selfie.

yLNngce.jpg

So i also convince that they became official when he went to her apartment for the first time.

:D

• Like 10
  • Love 6

I'm sure you've heard this line before when a boyfriend dumps his girlfriend..."it's not you...it's me.  This drama had a great storyline, the cinematography excellent and it fits right up my "all I want in a drama" category.  But...in spite of all the positives that I gleaned from watching the first few episodes, I could not continue.  I know, it's not the drama....it's me.  I felt Park Bo Gum was miscast.  He's too young and his face, although handsome, was a little bit effeminate for the role.  Song Hye Kyo as Cha Soo Hyun portrayed a character so controlled and stoic so I thought that what she needed was a more passionate man that would awaken her from the placidness of her life.  The encounter or love story between Cha Soo Hyun and Kim Jin Hyuk lacked the intensity I expected and without that, the rest of the drama became a meh for me.  There was a total lack of chemistry and they looked more like an elder sister and younger brother.  I'm not concerned about the age gap because it does work if the characters have the right chemistry to make it work (to this day My Name is Kim Sam Soon is still my favourite K drama).  A So Ji Sub, Jo In Sung (think What Happened in Bali where both were fighting over the same woman)  or a Lee Dong Gun (Love Now) would have been perfect for the role.  They're not only gorgeous but they have the depth and ferocity to portray a man deeply in love with SHK's character.  

• Like 1

I have been rewatching the drama slowly and appreciating the storytelling again. 

Episode 5 is one of my favorites because it is when both Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun come together. 

They decide to ditch work and see paintings at Hongjaedong, Jin Hyuk's neighborhood art gallery which are basically paintings below the bridge. 

JH explains that he doesn't understand art and paintings. But he grew to like the painting because he understood the endurance of the artist who drew all the squares. And because the title referred to a part of a poem, he appreciated the title of the painting, "Where, in What Form, Shall We Meet Again?" 

JH is surprised that SH knows the poem, too. Turns out she grew to like the poem because she liked the painting itself. It shows just how similar and dissimilar both JH and SH are. 

And interestingly enough, at the end of episode 5, the camera pans into the painting and shows a time lapse of JH and SH meeting in Cuba and also beforehand in Korea where we see the beginning shots of ep 1 and also the epilogue of the last episode.

PxNeWLQ.jpg

This is the beginning of episode 1 where we see SH's back.

On the other hand, JH is going to Namsan library where he often likes to hang out with the books.

MkYFaFC.jpg

The film rewinds and we see that both JH and SH crossed paths before. And this was shown in the epilogue of ep 16, too. 

tbu5cGM.jpg

Spoiler

Tfj5gn6.jpg

2rPyalt.jpg

This director really did a great job in making the story come a full circle because we also hear both JH and SH recite this poem in the last episode, too. 

The poem is called "In the Night".  

Among a multitude of stars 

one stares down at me

Among a multitude of people

I stare up at that one star

Where, when, and as what will the two of us

You, one so warm

And me, one so tender

meet again? 

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 7
  • Love 8

6 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

That was PBG’s personal selfie I believe@Cheryl295 :) I’m a thousand percent sure he will never share it in public tho for good reasons, ykwim ;) 

I know right, I think they have plenty of selfies but will never share. :tears: 

This one too is off cam right :(

imageproxy-7.jpg

I still cannot move on from Encounter. 4 out of 5 of my friends who watched the drama are now hooked on it too. :lol:

• Like 8
  • Love 4

Encounter / Boyfriend Post Drama Interview

by papago translate

[스타★톡톡] 박보검 “소중한 시간, 알차고 귀하게 쓰고 싶어요”

<스포츠월드> 2019-02-12 09:12:00

Park Bo-gum said : "Precious Time"

<Sports World> 2019-02-12 09:12:00

20190212503133.jpg

http://m.sportsworldi.com/newsView/20190212503140

Kim Jin-hyuk of "boyfriend" has grown from a fresh young man to a real man. The same was true of Park Bo-gum, who played him. I experienced feelings that I didn't know, and felt the importance of things. The carefully chosen comeback was another step forward. 

Choi Taek, a genius baduk engineer from TVN 'Reply 1988' and Lee Young, the prince of KBS 2TV's 'Gurmi Green Moonlight', successfully coined the new term 'Bogam-dongi.' It was 'My Boyfriend' that opened his next film to the public in two years. The TVN drama "My Boyfriend," which ended last month, is a thrilling emotional melodrama that began with a chance meeting between Suhyun and Jinhyuk, Soo Hyun who has never lived a life of her choice. In the drama, Park played Kim Jin-hyuk, a man who is perfectly ordinary but knows the importance of small happiness. Kim Jin-hyuk, created by Park Bo-gum, started with a "blue grape" charm, and approached the viewer with a strong, delicate, warm and sweet charm. 

Park made his debut with the movie "Blind" in 2011 and has already become an actor for the eighth year since his debut. Park Bo-dam, who met through the interview, said that he could feel more emotions and learn more as he added that it also helped him realize the importance of time and people's worthiness. That's why he hopes we can act harder and communicate with each other. Through him, I heard about the drama 'My Boyfriend' and actor Park Bo-gum. 

-Why did you choose 'boyfriend' as a recapture?

Jinhyuk`s setting was the most touching. He was a positive character in everything, and I wanted to take after him. Above all, he was not only a proud and enterprising person who knew how to love himself and felt happy with the presence of matter, but rather knew that he was precious to what he had and expressed frankly in front of love. I liked it because I knew how to love myself. I received the script the first until the fourth episode. It was a character setting that was not shown in the previous drama, so it became more attractive. So I wanted to do better.”

"There was also a lot of power coming from the title of 'boyfriend.' From Cha's point of view, her boyfriend is a mediocre but unusual subject. When Su-hyun met Jin-hyuk as her boyfriend, he thought there must be a change and growth of Jin-hyuk. If there were any regrets, I wish Jin Hyuk would have loved his family a little more. I also talked with the writer. As we go further into the story of Suhyun's family and Jinhyuk's family, the atmosphere of each other's family is reflected in contrast, and there was a message coming from it." 

- What is the most important thing in preparing for Kim Jin-hyuk?

"Until the fourth episode (received the script), Suhyun and Jinhyuk were not deep-rooted. So I tried to show you a fresh and young image. He said, "Let's show you how you are getting mature and growing through all kinds of situations, and how you are changing as a real man and as an adult."

(As a result) I couldn't be 100 percent satisfied with my acting, but I did my best every hour by expressing Jin Hyuk. When I saw Jin Hyuk of the first and last sessions, I think he looked different." 

-Kim Jin-hyuk's drunken acting made headlines.

"I was also embarrassed as I prepared for the scene. That's how much we've prepared and expressed in a script.

In fact, I didn't want to get drunk, so I wondered how to express Jin-hyuk's appearance differently. We referred to the munchies of the drunk.(Laughs) The director coached and edited well. You can do everything well except drink at a drinking party.(Laughs)"

- Long hair was also a hot topic.

"I never thought you'd pay so much attention to my long hair.(Laughs) I say it myself, but it's been a lot of talk. I thought the location was Cuba and free-spirited, so I would look good with long hair. The director said it was okay, so (I grew it). I wonder if there will be another day to grow. Having raised it once, I found out which styling suits my long hair.(Laughs)"

-What is the most memorable line of Jinhyuk's?

"(Jinhyuk) was a friend who expressed his feelings honestly. For some reason, the lines that said, "I came because I wanted to see you" remained deep in my heart. It was also nice to see him proudly saying, "Let's go eat ramen." I liked Jin Hyuk's image of stepping into the world with the CEO. Emotional lines were also thought to be Jin Hyuk's only love method. Putting the ring in the film box was also very difficult. He had a wonderful attitude to understand the other person's mind. Early characterization itself was a young man in literature. I didn't think he was a friend who read a lot of poems and was blubbering at every word. I tried to express it as a living person, even if I had a different expression. I tried to express it without awkwardness, plainness, and pressure. I think it's not enough, but I'm grateful if there are people who are consoled by Jin Hyuk's lines."

"There was no line I didn't understand. I didn't feel too much pressure by acting. As I was a character I had to act, I think I had a strong desire to understand and sympathize with him. I understand I can see at ease. It is also the basis for me to deal with the work. That's why Jinhyuk's expression and love style are different, fresh and understandable."

-How was your breathing with Song?

Song Hye-kyo described Cha Soo-hyun as being too vivid and more than a typeface. So I was able to concentrate on Kim Jin Hyuk throughout my acting career. Thank you very much. Just reading the script made me hear a funny voice.(Laughs) I felt sure that emotion was drawn by the other actors. On the set, she followed the director's directions the most. I wanted to do better because I was working with Song Hye-kyo. I kept asking if I was doing well.(Laughs)" 

- Song's colorful dating scene has attracted a lot of attention. 

The video call scene was the most exciting.

I don't want to break up with each other, so I'm acting like that, but I feel like I'm Kim Jin Hyuk, and I feel like I love Cha Soo-Hyun.

I tried to keep up with it step by step.

The scene makes me excited.(Laughing) It was not just the CEO and the employee, but the two figures, Cha Soo-hyun and Kim Jin-hyuk. He likes to make video calls.

Jin Myung (P.O.), who appeared in the drama together, often makes a video call.

Wouldn't it be best to make a video call in a situation where you can't see it? Kim Jin Hyuk's actions and postures all have meaning. He created meaning in his attitude toward people or in his facial expressions and reactions when he said something. The director helped me a lot. The director had a hard time being with me.(Laughs)"

-How could you have found Park Bo-gum in Kim Jin-hyuk? 

"If I were you, I wouldn't be able to meet strangers in a strange place.(Laughing) I wanted to emulate the frank and outspoken way of expressing myself in love. It seems that when a person loves himself, he or she also loves others. Jinhyuk works a lot and has a lot of experience.

But I have more talent. He has no music or dance talent which he can not learn in two days.(Laughs)"

-What does "boyfriend" mean?  

"Gurmi Green Moonlight" and "Reply 1998" were also period dramas. It was the first time to play romance in a modern play. If I introduce myself with a new work, I think I will be able to capture a lot of my experiences and experiences through this work. I think my emotions have become richer because there are so many emotional aspects."

"One of the things I realized in this work is the preciousness of the people next to me, and the preciousness of time. I think time with the people I love and support me is also important. So this year, I want to use my time wisely. I want to leave my present self in a work."

- If time is precious, what is it specifically about?

"I felt a lot like the year 2018 passed by and I was getting older. It seems like only yesterday that I graduated, but it's already last year.(laughing) I thought I'd spend my time well. It seems like only yesterday that I have been to Cuba. Through this work, I have experienced and realized many things. I think we can work harder.

I want to fill my time by living my life more positively." 

- Is there any genre you want to challenge in the future?

"I think I did it with my first heart, 'I can do anything well,' as it was my first work in a modern drama. In the future, I think I can act with more emotions and thoughts than Jin Hyuk. You will also need to study accordingly. I want to be an actor who can play various genres." 

-What are the plans and goals for the year 2019?

"The first personal wish is that I want to be in a movie. Second, I want to edit my daily schedule, my own video and exchange with my fans. I also want to get a license for scuba, and I hope to study foreign languages a lot. It's such a waste of time. I want to do everything in time. I want to prepare the next movie step by step, not too late."

==================

박보검! 여학생들이 뽑은 밸런타인데이 연예인 1위!!

Park Bo-gum! The number one Valentine's Day celebrity by female students!

http://www.thepreview.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=621

tvN 드라마 ‘남자친구’에서 자유로우면서도 맑은 영혼을 가진 ‘김진혁’ 역으로 열연 중인 박보검 (사진제공=서울종합예술실용학교) tvN 드라마 ‘남자친구’에서 자유로우면서도 맑은 영혼을 가진 ‘김진혁’ 역으로 열연 중인 박보검 (사진제공=서울종합예술실용학교)

Park Bo-gum is playing the role of Kim Jin-hyeok, a free but clear soul in the TVN drama "My Boyfriend." (photo courtesy of Seoul National University of Arts)

[The Preview: Seoul] Reporter Chung Soon-tae: On Valentine's Day, when women give chocolate to men, who would you like to give chocolate to girls?

In a survey of 300 female students majoring in acting, modeling, broadcasting, film, broadcasting, broadcasting, dance, and practical music by Seoul National University of Arts (SAC), actor Park Bo-gum topped the list as a male entertainer who wants to give chocolate on Valentine's Day.

Park Bo-gam, who showed a strong will to protect his loved one and showed a smooth man's true love, is enjoying great popularity at the home theater, stirring countless emotions.

Cha Eun-woo, who came in second, is a member and actor of the idol group Astro, and is also a big-time entertainer who has the title of "Face Genius" due to his handsome looks.

Coming in third place, Yeo plays two roles for one person on TVN's "Man Who Becomes the King" and is enjoying explosive popularity by playing two characters in opposite directions, showing off her enormous acting skills and masculine charm.

In fourth and fifth place, Kang Daniels of the most popular idol group BTS and Warner One were chosen respectively.

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

One common denominator that i've noticed is TIME.

The analysis of @bebebisous33 about the importance of time in the drama and lives of our leads.

PBG talking about time in his interviews.

The presence of a clock in the backdrop of the stage in bogum's fanmeeting and even on the piano.

And for us: we spend our time wisely by watching boyfriend and being in this forum and not enywhere else.

Boyfriend is a great collaboration of reality, fairytales, mythology, arts, poetry, paintings, literature, and so on. If one cannot appreciate those, for sure will not and cannot appreciate the drama.

One of the plus and x factor of boyfriend is the visuals of our leads. I believe, one of the reasons i or we cannot move on is finding a drama that can match the leads visuals .

How many times i had camped here for live streaming with only the pictures posted and still i cried and laughed with them even without any dialogue. Thats how good they are. They can stir our emotions just by looking at their eyes and facial expressions.

I appreciate the positiveness of this forum, ignoring any negativity.

Just looking at the hands of JH and SH at the scene where JH went to SH house for selfie, i am convinced thats where they officially became bf/gf.

• Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Insightful 3