[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

1 hour ago, thepixies said:

Boyfriend’s dvd weibo account has stated that SD emphasised there are no extra bts clips or cut scenes

:bawling: what’s even the point of the DVD then? We can just watch it in streaming sites. I can’t understand the logic behind the studio’s decision

Someone hold me :bawling:

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

:bawling: what’s even the point of the DVD then? We can just watch it in streaming sites. I can’t understand the logic behind the studio’s decision

Someone hold me :bawling:

Actually I’m sure there are other bts footage but SD just does not want to entertain our D-cut request.

But perhaps thru persistence we can wear down SD. *fingers and toes crossed*

• Like 3

I am amenable to no kissing scenes BTS because maybe they want to protect Hye Kyo for unnecessary rumors as she is already married and to PBG's bestfriend at that.

But we can request Studio Dragon for DVD for souvenir purposes and I think the cast can spare time for interviews to go with the DVD. They can release cute clips like PBG goofing around the set. There are plenty to choose from even if they won't show BTS of kisses.

• Like 3

Dropping in to read about the not so-good news...

Studio Dragon has rights to the drama? What about Bon Factory who produced and funded the drama?

Was it Studio Dragon who started the survey? What was the purpose of the survey then? From what I understood from the earlier posts, it's not because the required number of orders have not been met.They should have not come out with the survey and should have been very clear that there will not any Director's Cut at the onset..doing so was raising the hopes of the drama's fans only to deflate it at the end...

Spoiler

Was the production deficitary? I know they spent 16 billion won for the production but wasn't that recovered by the amount of sponsorship they had, the high ratings of the drama and the fact that its rights was sold to 100 countries? So many questions...

• Like 3

@gumtaek

I believe the surveys were started by fans.  Bon Factory may have made the drama but they don’t have the reproduction or distribution rights. 

I agree with you that it does not make sense for SD to reject outright any possible DVD production, (and the reply from them sounded rudely final) especially when the drama is touted as a success with broadcast rights in 100 countries. We’re not saying we want the D-cut *now* afterall.  

Perhaps we can appeal to Bon Factory too.  I don’t know.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, gigivillaceran said:

Maybe there is a valid reason for this, maybe they are protecting Kyo for more bashing if the dvd will release and some fans might post it in social media so if that is the case i dont need more explanation for this but still im sad for this bad news

However, according to the people behind the dvd request, PD and actors are fine about doing the d-cut.  Anyway, I am sure they can select bts that won’t lend to rumour-mongering. 

• Like 3

Bon Factory and Studio Dragon are affiliated I believe or just business partners in many projects. I think we can also appeal to Bon Factory as they are the ones directly dealing with Studio Dragon. 

There is a big chance they may release it for international market. Some dramas have released Chinese subbed for China only. We just have to make them more aware of our presence so they will release English subbed and Chinese or Japanese may be. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

Was the production deficitary?

It's unlikely but even so, isn't producing the DVD an opportunity to recoup and make profits by the tons, since it's been sold to over 100 countries?

I agree that if they've made a decision, it should be from the onset and not execute a frivolous survey to test the waters.

Many Boyfriend fans are waiting eagerly for the DVD. Don't you gals find it strange that for such an extremely popular drama with two adorable top stars, Shk & Pbg, that instead of rushing to cash in on their popularity, they warned that there are no extras like bts, uncut scenes etc... it's pretty strange that they are DISCOURAGING us, supporters of the drama, instead of selling us the DVD!!

Spoiler

This whole matter is very unusual. To those who kicked up a ruckus for nothing- please look at yourselves and see the consequences of your hate comments. It borders on irresponsibility concerning the actress/actor's job and his/her future earnings and even marital status. It's one thing to dislike a drama but another to ship others blindly and cause trouble for the Boyfriend actress/actor. This applies in general too.

An actress is an actress FIRST because it's her passion. No one dictates the role of a wife because the wife is also a human being with career passion. The actress has the right to continue with her career, just like you and I. No one has the right to pressure the actress to give up her career nor forbid her to have kiss scenes. That's ludicrous & childish.

Let's do our best to persuade SD to change their mind. Telling us no reason except there are no extras.....is a dry joke. 

Do they even appreciate the mass support from the international fans?

PD Nim. Studio Dragon People - where are you?!! We want the DVD please.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Korean producers also consider International Fans. DOTS have English subbed DVD because of Intl Fans. Many dramas have no English subbed DVD. As Encounter is still about to be aired in most of the 100 countries which bought it, there is still a high chance they will listen to international fans. 

Reason is not about revenues because if they wanted extra income, they would have no hesitation to release DVD to get extra income. Hollywood for example, if movie has more production cost to recover, they usually try to earn more with the release of DVD 

This means they are already contented with what Encounter earned from drama sponsors and buyers that they shunned DVD release. 

But they should listen to us. They have 2 of the Most Popular Korean Superstars as leads. It's unbelievable they won't issue DVD.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, thepixies said:

However, according to the people behind the dvd request, PD and actors are fine about doing the d-cut.  Anyway, I am sure they can select bts that won’t lend to rumour-mongering. 

Some basher of Kyo will celebrate they thought becoz of no directors cut the drama was Flop i dont know anymore wich one is true or not. They should realese a valid rason for this 

• Like 2

Wiki of Studio Dragon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Dragon

Studio Dragon = Planner/Developer for Encounter / Boyfriend.

Studio Dragon = Production House for Asadal Chronicles

Studio Dragon related to TVN, CJ, and Kakao M. 

Studio Dragon does not related to Bon Factory Worldwide (Encounter's production house, hired to produce with the sole right of Studio Dragon).

PS. It might be foreseeable not to release DVD because of several factors as the fact we could feel.

Definitely if the factor of commerciality is the only consideration, the DVD cut will be launched. 

• Like 3

Many fans complained when they previously posted no BTS and uncut. So probably there was misconception that since fans complained about it, they should no longer release DVD anymore. 

I think we can let SD know we just want official souvenir for the Drama they can give us any extra perks that they can and we will not force them to issue behind the scenes of sensitive scenes.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, thepixies said:

@gumtaek

I believe the surveys were started by fans.  Bon Factory may have made the drama but they don’t have the reproduction or distribution rights. 

But there was an official Boyfriend Director's Cut DVD Twitter Account tweeting info about it and warning fans about fake accounts.

@jl08: I asked that question but my personal belief is this...it's unlikely that the production was deficitary...I hope the Bon Factory CEOs could be interviewed again to talk about Encounter this time.

• Like 3

The DVD fictitious survey was conducted by the Korean FAN cafe that is spearheading this Dcut request so those Korean fans are equally heart-broken and upset about this decision .

They have spent a long time and effort liasing with the production company and relevant personnel .. only to be told that this is an executive decision by Studio Dragon .. no reasons given .  Actors and agencies and PD  have NO objections to the dcut at all .. so NOT a problem there . Demand is also not an issue .

The PD did say he did not have many additional scenes to add... but that's ok. I think many of us want to hear the PD, writer and actors' commentary because this is such a beautiful drama that I'm sure there are many details they can share with us that we may have not noticed. 

I'm sure the BTS ( if any ) can be edited to reduce any worries about further rumours / hate comments. 

Korean fans will still appeal,  so as international fans who love this drama so much, please let us also unite and email Studio Dragon AND all other associated companies Bon factory , CJENM etc.

http://www.studiodragon.net/front/en/about/contact

Or if anyone can liaise directly with the Korean D-CUT fans at daum cafe and let them know that international fans are also hoping to help appeal. 

Our numbers will give more weight to the Korean fans' appeal and hopefully have some clout in persuading the production company to rethink. Please also spread this request to your own countrymen who are fans of the drama to help as well, if you can. Thanks 

PS ; is it common to reject a request for D-cut so early ,just a few weeks after the drama has ended ? It has not even be publicly aired in most other countries yet .. so demand will definitely be higher subsequently 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

@applegirl2I do not think its common. In fact some dramas last year have only decided to release DVD this year.

Something is not right here. Why are they blocking the release of the DVD when it will be extra income for everyone involved in the project, I am so pissed.

Aside from SD, let's also send our requests to Bon Factory, TVN, Blossom and UAA. 

• Like 4

I have a question is the decision not to release the DVD final ?

I’m a bit confused because someone said that no additional BTS/scenes will be added? So we’ll still be getting a generic DVD?

While I do understand why they’re hesitant to include the BTS seeing as it is a “sensitive” issue to some. As a fan of the drama, it kinda sucks that we’re getting short changed because of issues like these. But for the sake of world peace, I am willing to let that go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this article has the answer to Studio Dragon's decision?

Spoiler

17일 업계에 따르면 스튜디오드래곤의 작년 4분기 연결 매출은 1017억원, 영업이익은 4억원을 기록했다. 매출은 시장 기대치에 부합했으나 영업이익은 못 미쳤다.

4분기 야심작이었던 '알함브라 궁전의 추억'과 '남자친구'가 평균 시청률 8.4%, 8.5%로 종영하며 방영 전 기대와 달리 아쉬움을 남겼다. 월화드라마였던 '계룡선녀전'도 부진한 성적을 냈다. 

http://www.theviewers.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=28920

How can the article say that these are average ratings for a cable drama???

• Like 2

@stardustvoid according to the D-cut weibo post .. they have stated they will not provide additional scenes or BTS in any DVD they will release in future ( IF ANY) ..so my guess is if there is any DVD at all..  it will just be what was screened by TVN. Nothing else. 

@gumtaek I think someone mentioned another cable tv drama ( by bon/ studio dragon ) with similar / less ratings also is getting/ has gotten a D-cut.. so that shouldn't be a good reason. And I'm quite sure that the current demand for Enc D-cut already exceeds what is needed to make it commercially viable.

• Like 4

Could I mention the fact that no DVD cut might be as implicitly expected?

If commerciality is the only factor to consider, DVD cut must be released to enhance revenue and profit. 

We can see several dramas with high demand in several countries have released DVD Cut, even they have gotten much less rating than Encounter / Boyfriend in Korea. 

Rating solely in Korea might not be the only factor to consider the demand of DVD Cut. Several dramas with high rating in Korea have no demand of DVD Cut. 

Pairing Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo as Male Lead and Female Lead in melodrama with deep love story has already been very singular.

We might have to accept that it is very sensitive for some group of people in Korea and in some countries. 

For such group of people, any married female actresses (esp. the actresses who married with the actors while marrying with non-celebrity husband might have much less impact to the actresses' acting carreer to the group of convervative audiences.) have been considered to limit the role/character and the genres of dramas/movies because of their strong images with the spouse and such group of people's conservative beliefs. 

Encounter / Boyfriend by Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo has been on-air in TV and over 100 countries around the world might be more than dreams come true already. 

When they announced confirmation by Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo, we could feel the varied responses, to the filming and  till the end of on-air. 

According to brave mind and professional acting challenges to accept these roles by Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo,

we, Encounter / Boyfriend's fans, are very lucky to have a chance to watch them together in one of our ever favorite drama. 

• Like 4