[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

19 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I don't think it's realistic to think that the marriage was never consummated. When they were married, WS was attracted to his wife, and SH wanted to be a good wife, even wanting to mold herself into what her husband likes. Plus, children would have been a big part of the expectations from the marriage. I don't see any reason why it would not have been consummated. On the other hand, I am wondering whether for SH, it was always a duty and never a pleasure, now that you've raised the topic.

Btw, completely changing the topic, I was thinking during the kiss scene that PBG has really improved since his on screen kisses in MDBC. I remember at the time, he didn't even really kiss her lips when they were kissing, but rather her philtrum, though that may have been somewhat deliberate because of the controversy over KYJ being a minor still. But, I think MDBC was his first on screen kiss, and he seems to have improved in this drama.

That’s what I thought too. Idk, but something irks me that shes acting like she really hadn’t felt anything toward him. I feel like there’s another big secret that happened between them that lead her to dislike him, aside from the divorce. Or maybe the evil MIL (of course) keeps getting in their way while they were married.

About the kiss, I noticed that too. And I remember an interview with SSCP before. SJK commented that SHK covers up his short comings in a very subtle way. I have replayed the kiss alot of times and at first PBG’s lips were totally closed. Had SHK did’t open her mouth, that would have been a smack on the lips or closed lip kiss. I couldn’t blame him though. We all know why there is a slight hesitation on his part. I like the way he went aggressice when they changed angles though. Doesn’t matter, PBG still delivered. I especially liked that sound of a smack on the last part. :wub:

• Like 10
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

I just completed watching E8. The kissing scene is definitely a nice Christmas gift to us viewers. The kiss although done very lightly serves to cement the love for each other. The relationship is no longer at the "pre-relationship" stage. They are now in the "couple" stage. It looks like more pressure will be thrown their way by MIL but in the end they will survive all the hardship and pain.

Since E8 will be the last for this year. I wish everyone a wonderful Christmas and a far better 2019 to all of us. Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 15

I just want to add something about the kiss scene, since we have two weeks to dissect everything lol

While overall I loved it and thought it was sweet, I agree with some here that I do feel cheated a bit

Why? Because all the close up of them kissing are when their lips are about to part ways. LOL. And all the zoomed out shots are of them actually kissing. 

I found it so amusing that when he went in on that kiss and CSH slightly opened her mouth they just had to change angles and pan out. And some netizens even commented that those shots from the back of JH’s head aren’t actually them kissing but just pretending to kiss? Whaaat? 

Anyway I digress, questionable editing but beautifully filmed nonetheless <3 Here’s to hoping for something better in the new year

• Like 5
  • LOL 12

19 hours ago, asuwish said:

Am loving this sweet drama so far!

I know it's a little early to be looking to the end, but something ridiculous has been nagging at me...I usually watch k-dramas for the cliche happy endings.  I noticed that sometimes, this drama is tagged as a "melodrama" which implies a sad storyline/ending in my mind. 

So now I'm freaking out a little, thinking I am so invested in this and it's just going to shatter my heart into little pieces in the end if the main couple do not end up together!  

So random question - does anyone know how often Korean "melodramas" have a "happy" ending?  Just trying to alleviate my anxious heart over this, haha.

@asuwish, usually, when I see "melodrama (romantic)" as the Genre, it just warns me that our OTP are going to go through some emotional pangs, trials and tribulations; but it doesn't necessarily mean the OTP will not have a happy ending (Descendants of the Sun, The Winter The Wind Blows, Secrets, etc.). A lot of times, it's two people who already have the odds stacked against them trying to make it work.  I'm hopeful for a happy ending, but also can see the two of them breaking up, but finding their way back together.

I loved this episode and especially the fairytale elements in this drama. We had a mixture of the Wizard of Oz the Tin Man/Cinderfella and Soo Hyun was a mixture of Man/Woman in the Iron Mask/Fairy of the Woodland Realms...somewhere along those lines.

In regards to the Woo Suk, the ex-husband, I truly thinks he loves her. She appealed to him immediately because she wasn't like the other women he'd met. She wasn't arrogant, haughty, falsely sweet, self serving, or trying to impress him. More than that, she's like him in a lot of ways, two people who have mothers trying to control their lives. However he could see how his mother's behavior was taking away the 'little' smile Soo Hyun used to have. He could have selfishly kept her in the marriage, but instead he pretended to have an affair so that he could give her a reason to leave him--to give her freedom. I almost picture it as two people in prison and one helping the other to escape.

I liked the two scenes of Soo Hyun with her mother demonstrating her growing independence and Wook Suk who still hasn't found his independence from his mother. Soo Hyun is speaking frankly to her mother about how she will live her life while Wook Suk is still cowering in front of his mother; when she told him he can go get some rest (aka go to your room).....I thought, "Is he 10 years old?" It put things into focus for me.

It's clear that Wook Suk had no intention of attending the ball until he heard that Jin Hyuk had been transferred to another location and Soo Hyun hadn't blocked the transfer. He thought that there maybe an opening for him---poor thang doesn't have a clue. Hearing about Jin Hyuk's transfer gave him confidence to then approach Soo Hyun, and be more open to her about his feelings which confused her. 

I'm hoping that Wook Suk will find the courage again to "let her go". I think he hoped that one day they would get back together again, but didn't expect her to enter another relationship. She probably wouldn't have, but she had an ENCOUNTER in Cuba that changed her life.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Josh Marquez said:

You’ll forget song joong ki. It’s that convincing lol

I had to laugh at this :lol: hahahaha

:thumbsup: yep!

WS trying to be honest with his feelings left CSH’s mouth hanging open. “did I mishear you?” :sweatingbullets: poor soul

Hey guys. Please vote. We’re only leading by 1%:

https://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/poll/9320

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

WS feelings for CSH might be true and didn't want her to be miserable while married to him, so initiated the divorce.  He might be contented with seeing and having conversation with her from time to time and maybe hoping that someday she realized that she can return his feelings. What he didn't expect is that, CSH fall for someone else.  I hope he totally free her from his family's shadow, which is what she's trying to do. 

The kissing scene is a little disappointing but very understandable considering the fact that it's their first..:D
Hope to have more in the coming episode:wub: ( am I being greedy?)

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, asuwish said:

So random question - does anyone know how often Korean "melodramas" have a "happy" ending?  Just trying to alleviate my anxious heart over this, haha.

If recent history is any predictor, I am not sure how they describe the show is any indication of the ending.  Even series listed as a romantic comedy does not necessarily play toward a predictable happy ending.  In the most recent set of series, I have experienced a spy show where the OTP never actually got together; an airport series where we never got to see one of the OTP's faces in the final scene so are left guessing; a fantasy series where the main OTP remet each other but have no memory of their past lives together.  Frankly, it is a little frustrating.  I think we come to these series to see one message, "Love conquers all."  When that does not happen, I usually feel a little letdown and disappointed.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, asuwish said:

Sometimes drama has an open-ended ending wherein you have to think of what will happen next to the characters. There are also times that it's a sad ending , but there are times, I think that it depends on the viewers/ ratings. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

With these numbers in mind, I'll use the range of 2% to 5% to establish "average" viewership and determine if a cable show is rating poorly, average, or above average.

Great: Greater than 5%

Average: Between 2% and 5%

Poor: Less than 2%

Oh wow! I know the difference between both but I didnt know how to gauge number to call the series great or average. 

This is a very informative post @gumtaek. As always, thanks! :)

4 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

And some netizens even commented that those shots from the back of JH’s head aren’t actually them kissing but just pretending to kiss? Whaaat? 

TBH, I also thought of that when they just showed the back of JHs head but then that would be ridiculous since they also have close-up shots of their lips together. I realize that people and I should chill out. And that the kiss was just appropriate for a first kiss. Wanting more kisses though :wub::phew:

• Like 16