[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

40 minutes ago, krisan said:

@gumtaek wow... Too bad that I found some articles in some news portal including soompi said as if it is the same range.

That's why I researched on it because I saw that there was a lot of  misinformation and lack of information, misleading news on it employing an apple to apple  comparison when it shouldn't be the case. We can always refer to page 146 if anyone has questions about the ratings.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

LogoHanCinemaAMP.jpg

"Encounter" Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum's Pure Love

photo1024185.jpg

Cha Soo-hyeon (Song Hye-kyo) and Kim Jin-hyeok (Park Bo-gum) started a long distance relationship on "Encounter".

Cha Soo-hyeon knew Kim Jin-hyeok was going to be moved to Sokcho and tried to stop it. However, Kim Jin-hyeok said, "It's a privilege to be able to turn things back around. It's not like you. Watch how I turn things back".

The day he was leaving, Kim Jin-hyeok and Cha Soo-hyeon went on a date. They went to where Kim Jin-hyeok often took pictures. Jin-hyeok learned to love through books, but he said he'd become wiser thanks to her. Cha Soo-hyeon cried silently as he taught her photography.

When he arrived in Sokcho, he walked around. Cha Soo-hyeon called him after a lot of thought. Cha Soo-hyeon said, "Sokcho is not new for me, but I miss you". She said she'll go and he said he'd be happy to see her.

Kim Jin-hyeok had to get used to Sokcho and prepare for end-of-year events. Nam Myeong-sik (Ko Chang-suk) missed Kim Jin-hyeok too. In the end, he went to Sokcho and lied that there was a problem to bring Kim Jin-hyeok back. He told Kim Jin-hyeok, "I've come to bring back my boss's boyfriend".

Cha Soo-hyeon walked around the party with a mask on. A man grabbed her by the hand and led her out. It was Kim Jin-hyeok. Tears welled up as they took off their masks and looked at each other. They heard music that reminded them of Cuba and kissed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Once the eng sub was out at viu, i watched the episode, that was 12.30 a.m. For the love of JH and SH, i can bargain my sleeping hours.I literally cried a river. Seeing JH sad eyes, you cannot help it but cry.

But my heart goes for JH's mother. Her only weapon now to know what's happening is a mother's instinct.

I still need to think and find an answer why JH gave his camera to SH. In episode 1, he said the camera is most important to his father. It was given to his father but never been used because of providing for family used up his time. Does this mean, his father knows their relationship?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Since 2019 is around the corner. I would like to throw a scenario for the possible ending of this drama.

CSH and KJH will not end up with each other. Somewhere before the story ends, it will be revealed to CSH that the true reason why her husband asked for a divorce was to free her from the controlling arms of MIL. It will be revealed to CSH also that WS doesn't have a real girlfriend and that everything he has done is just for a show. Some other important matters were also revealed in E8.  WS really love CSH and he personally said the words to her "Because it's regarding the woman I like" . WS also said in that conversation that he is not joking and that he find himself missing CSH a lot. Those words from WS made CSH thinking.

If the true reason for the divorce is revealed, CSH will find out that WS made a lot of sacrifices for the good of her. It looks like WS will start claiming back her ex-wife. Dropping more hints will ultimately make CSH think of her relationship with KJH. There's going to be a love triangle before the drama ends. KJH will ultimately sacrifice his love and allow CSH to get back to WS. WS will also break free from his mother so that he and CSH will have a happy life. End of drama.

So for the shippers of CSH and KJH, I apologize for breaking your ship. This is just a wild scenario that could possibly happen. Peace everyone.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

i am so happy that this drama is getting so much love here and in korea. However, its a completely different story on the mydramalist page for this drama. The negative comments there have stopped making sense and its almost like everyone is ganging up on this show.

I wish tvn would have aired moa and encounter at different parts of the year so that this unnecessary fan war could have been avoided.

• Like 7

@gumtaek yes hopefully more will know this matter and visit page 146 for references :D

Spoiler

Oh stop please, stop dragging other dramas in encounter's thread, it is enough for me to read comment about this and that drama in other parts of encounter forum, article, video, and even tvn ig account.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, kingkong72 said:

KJH will ultimately sacrifice his love and allow CSH to get back to WS. WS will also break free from his mother so that he and CSH will have a happy life. End of drama.

Sounds like a possibility but it won't happen.

KJH can sacrifice his own happiness, provided he's convinced that CSH truly loves her ex-husband but she doesn't. What she'll feel once she finds out about his good deed is simply.....compassion and it is different from love. 

For me:

CSH - WS = gratitude

CSH - KJH= LOVE

The PD knows many international fans are eyeing him closely.....the writer can always modify her story. As for the fans, we can always express our desire for a good, happy and passionate "live happily ever after" on all platforms available .... Blossom, tvN, "Boyfriend" hashtags, ig accounts etc....why not? After all, it's such a beautiful and meaningful drama and since things looked reverse, a sad end to a melodrama should be reversed to a happy one instead.   

And don't bother about the silly fan war....

• Like 20
  • LOL 1

@jl08  I was going to quote some of your posts and then I realized it was useless because all of what you said cracked me up :lol: I was thinking his ears were red because it was cold out in the veranda. I realize now that they did the first kissing scene like that just to see how the public will react to the kissing scene between our OTP. :D I have read alot of comments and pictures in ig, i LOLd at some of them (they inserted SJK in the picture, he's either crying, angry or holding a gun) but some are feeling the same way we do. :lol:

19 minutes ago, roshzanna said:

I still need to think and find an answer why JH gave his camera to SH. In episode 1, he said the camera is most important to his father. It was given to his father but never been used because of providing for family used up his time. Does this mean, his father knows their relationship?

His father might have a hunch that he loves someone since he brought it up when they were talking. JH said why he gave the camera, because he graduate from learning about love from books. That means he loves CSH and wants to give her something he loves. Or he might have observed that CSH house has zero pictures compared to his room. It's big but it's not warm. 

• Like 13

Just dropping a note to wish every chingu here, a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed Year ahead!

It is heartwarming to know that we share a common love for "Boyfriend" and wishes it to do really well and that we owe it to PBG and SHK for such a beautiful love story.

Let's hope the drama will shine even more with 8 more episodes and hopefully, it'll have a beautiful conclusion for KJH and CSH. 

Cheers!!    :)

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, rdturbo said:

The negative comments there have stopped making sense and its almost like everyone is ganging up on this show.

I've stopped reading those comments because like @leedonghaek, I get defensive and get affected easily. It doesn't matter what they say. The numbers show :) Their best days are our worst days when it comes to ratings. 

And even if the numbers wont show. It is still an amazing drama for me and I get to feel all sorts of emotions while watching it. Most importantly, it lets me use my brain. lol :) 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, gumtaek said:

DOMESTIC RATINGS OF PUBLIC BROADCASTS

There are four nationwide television networks which are available to the public without subscription. They are EBS (Educational Broadcasting System

DOMESTIC RATINGS OF PUBLIC BROADCASTS

In 2016, The overall average viewership of public broadcast was 9.97%. SBS ranked first with an overall domestic rating with 11.74%, followed by KBS at 10.39%, leaving MBC behind at 7.55%.

(Skipped the part where it mentions specific dramas)

With these numbers in mind, I'd be comfortable suggesting that a public show should aim to fall within this range of 7.5% to 12%. This will be the scale I'll use to decide whether or not a public show is rating poorly, average, or above average.

Great: Greater than 12%

Average: Between 7.5% and 12%

Poor: Less than 7.5%

DOMESTIC RATINGS OF CABLE BROADCASTS

Ratings of cable dramas tend to be much smaller than that of Public Broadcasts. This is simply because public dramas are free for all in South Korea to watch, whereas cable shows are "paid for" channels, therefore they naturally have a smaller audience. It's difficult to compare dramas from both camps as public dramas have a natural advantage.

In 2016, The overall average viewership of cable broadcast was 3.93%. tvN ranked first with an overall domestic rating with 4.82%, followed by OCN at 3.34%, leaving JTBC in third at 1.97%.

With these numbers in mind, I'll use the range of 2% to 5% to establish "average" viewership and determine if a cable show is rating poorly, average, or above average.

Great: Greater than 5%

Average: Between 2% and 5%

Poor: Less than 2%

Indicator

Public Broadcast

Cable Broadcast

Great

Greater than 12%

Greater than 5%

Average

Between 7.5% and 12%

Between 2% and 5%

Poor

Below 7.5%

Less than 2%

https://aminoapps.com/c/k-drama/page/blog/understanding-viewership-ratings/g01h_6u4blLnz8WZNlB3WNRed7eBg7

Conclusion: Public Broadcast and Cable Broadcast have a different range as far as ratings  and rankings are concerned and shouldn’t be put on the same level.

Yes. I remember D.O from '100 days my prince' (tvn) made a promise that they will dancing together if they reach 10%, and I remember PBG set his target 20% for his drama 'love in moonlight' (kbs).

Even kim eun sook drama have really different rating when its airs in cable and public tv.

Tvn : goblin, mr sunshine (18%)

Public tv : Secret garden, Dots (30+%)

All of that was really popular drama. And got the same hyped

So yeah we cant comparing it. 

And for what I know 9% totally high for tvn. 

Spoiler

Actually I know many people will talking about rating, thats why I'm not that happy when tvn taking this drama. Public tv is better, this year its hard for public tv to even reach 15%. So if EC airs in public tv and got above that (I'm totally sure its easy for encounter), no one will argue about it anymore

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rdturbo said:

i am so happy that this drama is getting so much love here and in korea. However, its a completely different story on the mydramalist page for this drama. The negative comments there have stopped making sense and its almost like everyone is ganging up on this show.

I wish tvn would have aired moa and encounter at different parts of the year so that this unnecessary fan war could have been avoided.

I don't get why people put negative comments, or why even compare these two dramas. Why can't we love both dramas? They air at different days, isn't that wonderful? So everyday in the week, we get to watch something interesting. I'm enjoying both of them anyway. Don't we have too many things to worry in life already. Happy Holidays everyone!!

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, rdturbo said:

In my place

60% talk about SJK's feeling (tho no one of them watching this drama)

30% talk about how boring this drama (so they can promoted their bias drama)

10% talk about how they love this drama

Spoiler

I even saw a fanmade in ig when SJK shot PBG with his gun.

And I felt so happy PBG not using IG

• Like 4
  • Sad 1