Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

11 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

For example, it really sullies the moment when more than 50% of the comments on the kiss scene on various social media platforms is how sorry they are for SJK. But then again, this is the internet and it’s definitely asking for too much if you want an intelligent, plot related comment. Thank the heavens for this forum

It goes to show how immature people's minds are when it comes to married woman playing a lead role with a different leading man. Thank God that doesn't happen too much where I come from. :sweat: I bet they wont say the same things when SJK's series will start airing and he kisses KJW. 

This is the last comment im gonna give about this.

Let's not talk about negative stuff here coz it sullies the happy feeling, seriously. :mellow:

Lets ignore those negative comments because it has been working on our favor this entire time. :)

========================================

9 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

That said~ Who wants to bet with me that the reason things start getting noisy is because WooSeok is the one who saw our JinSoo couple exchanging a New Year's kiss and decided all bets were off? 

You think WooSeok is crazy enough to do that?

I dont think JH is missing though.

I think thats just the PD playing with us to get us anticipated :joy:

*crossing fingers*

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 4

A reminder:

Please keep your posts void of any other dramas - past or current - and actors who are not related to this drama - no matter if one is married to one of the main leads. 

Just keep your discussions on topic and related to the content you see in each episode. No need to stray to topics which can potentially lead to a bad mood in this thread.

-Jillia

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

I agree. I don’t think he is missing, maybe it’s just a red herring?

We see CSH packing a small lugage in the preview, didn’t she promise JH she’ll be visiting him in Sokcho? Maybe she’ll spend some time with him

• Like 14

@kingkong72 your scenario is calling for SooHyun to decide that WooSeok's silent sacrifices are worth re-entering a household where her MIL actively despises her.  :sweatingbullets:

If she did remarry WooSeok, wouldn't that essentially send him the message of:  "Ah.  I don't have to actively work at making the relationship between her and my mother better, as long as I do these little protective acts behind her back."  So far as we've seen, SooHyun responds best when people are direct with their words and actions.  (go back and rewatch the potato pancake scene and the 'woman I'm talking to is my mother' scene)

From that standpoint, I find it hard to believe that SooHyun would return to a man who struggled before, during, and after their marriage to tell her the most of basic of things... such as "I like you."  Even if the JinSoo couple does not stay together, I don't see any evidence that just because WooSeok made sacrifices for her and "loves" her, that would lead to SooHyun deciding she owes it to WooSeok to marry him again.

Edit: Maybe I'm just being too rigid?  But being in that toxic house again might cause SooHyun to need more than sleeping pills to get through the day...  I don't think anyone's silent sacrifices are worth needing to take pills, but that's just my opinions

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I rewatch now ep 2 and i wonder if SW ever showed his love to SH when they were married at all bcos SH told him to tell his mom the truth what he felt if MIL asked him. I might have misunderstood, but i interpret this as SH had never felt WS loved her when they were married, then i wonder who is then to blame? SH or WS? 

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, utkim said:

I rewatch now ep 2 and i wonder if SW ever showed his love to SH when they were married at all bcos SH told him to tell his mom the truth what he felt if MIL asked him. I might misunderstood, but i interpret this as SH had never felt WS loved her when they were married, then i wonder who is then to blame? SH or WS? 

Oooh.  That's a really good point...

A lot of pages ago, there had been discussion about how both SooHyun and WooSeok were probably at fault for the marriage failing.  But if SooHyun was actually trying to fashion herself into the woman she thought WooSeok wanted (whatever the heck that means cause it doesn't seem like he gave much direction) then maybe when he didn't respond positively, SooHyun assumed that her attempts to make him like her had failed.  In truth, WooSeok was probably too scared to tell her what he really wanted.  In which case, can we assign something as strong as blame to him?  I don't think I can, but that's because I am still having sympathy for the guy.  I can't even assign blame to SooHyun.  She went in with her eyes open and probably did try to be the good wife (considering how hard she tries at everything else I can't imagine her slacking off in this instance). 

• Like 11

in my head and in my heart, there will never be WS and SH. Why build up JH+SH so much if they will not end up together? :sweatingbullets:

You’re right at one thing though. You have a wild imagination. It will remain to be an imagination :sweat_smile:

and if you guys are looking for someone to blame... thats easy... it’s the evil MIL. :crazy:

• Like 4
  • LOL 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

But being in that toxic house again might cause SooHyun to need more than sleeping pills to get through the day... 

Just thinking that we haven't seen SH take those pills for awhile now.  Seems she doesn't need them anymore now she has JH.  :)

She has come a long, long way since she took the sleeping pills in Cuba and then left the hotel without really thinking (or maybe even caring) what the consequences might be.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, yonaomi123 said:

Oooh.  That's a really good point...

A lot of pages ago, there had been discussion about how both SooHyun and WooSeok were probably at fault for the marriage failing.  But if SooHyun was actually trying to fashion herself into the woman she thought WooSeok wanted (whatever the heck that means cause it doesn't seem like he gave much direction) then maybe when he didn't respond positively, SooHyun assumed that her attempts to make him like her had failed.  In truth, WooSeok was probably too scared to tell her what he really wanted.  In which case, can we assign something as strong as blame to him?  I don't think I can, but that's because I am still having sympathy for the guy.  I can't even assign blame to SooHyun.  She went in with her eyes open and probably did try to be the good wife (considering how hard she tries at everything else I can't imagine her slacking off in this instance). 

No, I'm not blaming him alone because  marriage is about 2 pple, but i can't blame on SH neither. Certainly they were not meant to be, i think we women use to be a bit more soft at heart, if SW had been able to show his love for her, maybe it didn't end like this...i dun know.

He looks very handsome though :wub:

5gNAMP.jpg

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, thistle said:

Just thinking that we haven't seen SH take those pills for awhile now.  Seems she doesn't need them anymore now she has JH.  :)

She has come a long, long way since she took the sleeping pills in Cuba and then left the hotel without really thinking (or maybe even caring) what the consequences might be.

You're right! I was nervous that it might be another foreshadowing that the Taegyong group can use against CSH. CSH taking unsubscribed pills. 

Btw, at the party, who was the guy thats beside HI? Was it JH younger brother? I remember he was wearing a brown coat but the guy beside HI was wearing a black one. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

Btw, at the party, who was the guy thats beside HI? Was it JH younger brother? I remember he was wearing a brown coat but the guy beside HI was wearing a black one. 

JH's brother was there and so was his friend, the Moon Snails guy (the one who had the blind date with SH's secretary).

• Like 7

1 minute ago, thistle said:

JH's brother was there and so was his friend, the Moon Snails guy (the one who had the blind date with SH's secretary).

I know.. but the moon snails guy was beside sec jang not beside HI. Who was the guy that was beside HI that time?  I can't make him out with the mask.

• Like 4

I think beside HI in the party is JH's brother. It seems that JH's brother like a noona as well (aka HI) :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

@utkim He is really cute lol. Half the time I just want to give him a hug and tell him have divorced his mother not his wife~ :glasses: But that would unfilial so will probably not happen.  

6 hours ago, larrysouth said:

If recent history is any predictor, I am not sure how they describe the show is any indication of the ending.  Even series listed as a romantic comedy does not necessarily play toward a predictable happy ending.  In the most recent set of series, I have experienced a spy show where the OTP never actually got together; an airport series where we never got to see one of the OTP's faces in the final scene so are left guessing; a fantasy series where the main OTP remet each other but have no memory of their past lives together.  Frankly, it is a little frustrating.  I think we come to these series to see one message, "Love conquers all."  When that does not happen, I usually feel a little letdown and disappointed.

I feel the same way!  It feels unfair, and it also makes me wonder why the writer and production team spent all those hours developing characters that seemed like they were really in love, only to pull the rug out from underneath the audience’s feet.  Don’t they want their story to leave a lingering, positive memory?  

So far, it does seem like the Encounter/Boyfriend team wants to tell a story that ends well for all its characters.  Where even if the characters have an ending that is bittersweet, at least it’s not hopeless.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

4 hours ago, beebeep said:

It's indeed very difficult to change the mind and perception of people actually...

There are some people who don't like the pairing of older woman with younger man (my friend is one of them and she's not a bad person. She just have a different preference and she just doesn't think that she can root for jinsoo couple). Other people doesn't like melo drama since it's less action so they call it boring. It's just a matter of preference and our preference can change over time as our situation changes as well. 

As for me, I'm surprised that I come to like this drama among all the other dramas airing. I typically would gravitate towards rom com drama such as "clean with passion for now" and I should have been drawn to MOA given that PSH is the first one that hooked me to k-drama. Nevertheless, it turns out that this "Encounter" drama is the one that I like the most at this moment...so to everyone who's new to this thread and wondering whether this drama is good and whether the pair is believable, I would say "Yes. You should watch few episodes of the drama and draw your own conclusion wether you like it or not.

Let me cut some part, I totally agreed with your post. I am one of audiences who showed strong objection after confirming the main casts with age gap and marriage status which might be quite difficult to make audiences believe in lovers’ roles. 

I intended not to watch even a single episode..

After the first epispde, praises abour interesting story, fresh script, great acting, and unbelievably amazing chemistry made me start watching some short clips and then I became a fans of this Encounter. 

For Park Bo Gum, I am so glad that he accepted this project because his acting is challenging and he can nail the role to create Kim Jin Hyuk alive and have chemistry with Cha Soo Hyun. 

For Song Hye Kyo, I am not her fans before but I appreciated her acting approach in this Encounter, I am blessed that Park Bo Gum chose this Encounter with Song Hye Kyo, rather than any younger actresses with less acting experience. 

I am impressed with story and script how the writer created this fairy tale in the current situation with reasonable circumstances and how Park Bo Gum&Song Hye Kyo made audiences deeply believe in their couple roles within just 8 episodes from KJH&CSH’s first meeting in Cuba till in relationship with longing moments in ep8. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, kingkong72 said:

Since 2019 is around the corner. I would like to throw a scenario for the possible ending of this drama.

CSH and KJH will not end up with each other. Somewhere before the story ends, it will be revealed to CSH that the true reason why her husband asked for a divorce was to free her from the controlling arms of MIL. It will be revealed to CSH also that WS doesn't have a real girlfriend and that everything he has done is just for a show. Some other important matters were also revealed in E8.  WS really love CSH and he personally said the words to her "Because it's regarding the woman I like" . WS also said in that conversation that he is not joking and that he find himself missing CSH a lot. Those words from WS made CSH thinking.

If the true reason for the divorce is revealed, CSH will find out that WS made a lot of sacrifices for the good of her. It looks like WS will start claiming back her ex-wife. Dropping more hints will ultimately make CSH think of her relationship with KJH. There's going to be a love triangle before the drama ends. KJH will ultimately sacrifice his love and allow CSH to get back to WS. WS will also break free from his mother so that he and CSH will have a happy life. End of drama.

So for the shippers of CSH and KJH, I apologize for breaking your ship. This is just a wild scenario that could possibly happen. Peace everyone.

Wow! Nice scenario. But I guess the plot is already committed to its goal. The couple are falling and falling for each other. The ex husband is weak letting her slip from his hands or maybe they are just not compatible. Just basing from CSH’s reaction towards him, just being in the same room with him stifles her. How can she get back with him when that means going back to her old sad life controlled by her ex MIL. She despises her past. I guess even if she doesn’t end up with KJH, she will never go back to that family again. I guess the obstacles are gearing towards her keeping the hotel at the same time having KJH by her side. I hope KJH can create a path that is not within the way of the hotel. Like if he can be successful in a different field where he can’t be controlled/subordinated. And maybe CSH can just give up the hotel and have a happily ever after with him. I hate that KJH is kind of powerless. Hoping for more great episodes ahead. Peace

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

This was a fairytale episode. 

You have the seperated lovers, a masquerade, a fairy godmother, and true loves first kiss at the stroke of midnight. 

I don't know how this show does it - blending the extraordinary into the ordinary. I really hope my thoughts make sense because I'm still not over it. 

Wasn't it wonderful just how much thought Jin Hyuk put into that masquerade - yes it was an important year end event, but he put in a personal touch that would reach Soo hyun - the announcement of it being a celebration of their Havana hotel opening and the salsa dancers - it would remind SH of their wonderful memories of Cuba and connect them even though he could not physically be there. He knew she would be missing him just as much as him. And all the detail in creating Sh's mask- he knows exactly what she needs, and this is why this couple works. 

And that kiss at the end, I was pleasantly surprised. I really loved how their was no hesitation, no dialogue, he sees how touched she is by that announcement, all that longing, and it just happens.
I wish the pd did focus on the moment though--he has given us beautiful shots of their hands and even their shoes, then why not that actual affection. The ending though was really sweet, with them gently swaying with each other. 

My other thoughts-
-Sh's confrontation with the director - this is such a remarkable change. She has come such a long way. Her speech was controlled but there was no mistaking the obvious anger and dominance.
- I just love Shk's acting in this drama, she is a big, big part of why their chemistry is just so natural and overflowing. Her secretly shedding a tear while observing JH - just gorgeous. 
- Jh's family is so warm and loving, I really liked his omma this episode... But why do I feel Jh's identity will get revealed and his mom makes the connections next episode. Her gut feeling isn't wrong. 
- On the other hand, something is seriously wrong in taeyong household. Ws mom is trying to protect him and his feelings and Ws is misguided ly going about his. Everything is twisted up. 
- The side characters and their stories are all interesting. I get the feeling that this show is perfectly cast. 
- I want to end with this quote - 
"You know when your in the middle of work, or you're asleep, or brushing your teeth, I find myself smiling alone thinking of these memories."
Me too, Soo Hyun, me too. Its gonna be a long wait for the next episode. 

• Like 18
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 5

Hi all!

I'm new here but I have been reading on Soompi for years but didn't feel compelled enough to sign up and post something until now. It's been amazing reading everyone's commentary and theories about the series and I don't think I have anything new to add but just wanted to say hi and perhaps go through the things I am enjoying about Encounter.

- I love PBG and I was sold as soon as it was announced he would be in the drama! I had my reservations too because it was with SHK but  that was quickly forgotten because it had been 2 years since MDBC.

- I like SHK too but I don't think I have ever finished any of her drama. For all the hype DOTS had, I only lasted until like episode 4 or 5. It takes a really good drama to pull my attention and an even greater drama to keep my attention! 

- I love, love, love... in case I am being overly subtle about how much I love this drama! "I love Encounter/ Boyfriend"!! :)

- I love it because the storyline is so simple, it actually blows my mind!!! :wub:

- I love it because they switched the story up but not in a weird way! I am a female but I would not consider myself a feminist as I believe in equality opportunities for both men and women and with a bit of common sense we can all go a long way. So if a drama is trying to pull a radical feminist agenda then I would be out the door. Encounter tells a story of a normal woman who just happens to be a CEO but not just a CEO by entitlement but by hard work! Great learning for all willing to learn from this great example! Guess what all CEO, including women CEO's want and need, someone to love them and actually show that love (Sorry WS, I like him but I will continue to favour him in my imagination, where I have written a beautiful love story for him in which he lived happily ever after with someone that is not SH B) ).

- I also love that Encounter did not make JH weak just to portray SH as a strong competent character instead we have a good looking, strong, manly, bold, brave, lovely, understanding, stubborn and very happy young man with the name of JH! Writer-nim Thank you!

Honestly I don't know what else to say to people that can't see how beautiful this drama is? Of course, I have not even mentioned the Cinematography, Arts, Framing of scenes, actually showing us how a romance grows rather than telling us while the couple jumps into their first kiss. A romance, this is something most people have completely forgotten about and what I love the most in a story! 

I can clearly see why there is a reference to Roman Holiday and fairy tales! Old Classic movies are full of romance. The lead couple might not even share a kiss but you will surely feel the love! People have talked about Notting Hill on this thread; UK movies/drams are typically full of romances, slightly different from US stuff! Since most of their movies/ dramas are from books! Which is why Encounter seems like a book, it builds and draws a vivid picture of the romance for our enjoyment. 

@gumtaek Thanks you so much for posting the difference between public and cable ratings! I have been so confused for a long time trying to make sense of why a mega popular drama has a lower rating than another drama that is not as popular. It's been a bit of a struggle trying to make sense of it! I finally do! Thanks

Ireland says Hi :D

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, Tola Ir said:

Ireland says Hi :D

Hi from the US.  My grandparents were from Ireland.  :)

Glad that you joined up to share with us.  I also lurked here for a long time.  

Encounter is such a great show, and I love all the fairy tale elements.  (Yes, I still think that SH's mask was a Green (wo)Man despite everyone else's theories. ;) )  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1