[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 4:43 AM, tlireal said:

Me too :tears: Missing them 

Miss them too.

Seeing even only snippets of BTS @ PBG's fanmeeting is like seeing snow in summer:)

But at least, reenactment of some scenes is always  a part of the fanmeeting.:)

• Like 8

oh my...I miss Jin Soo so much...so re watched the drama again and sighed, it just make me become more greedy and want more of them...haishhh...we can say that Season 2 is almost impossible, right?

not many kdramas impress me these days...if there is any, I found myself getting boring and gave up after few episodes...:bawling:

my dream is shk and pbg to meet again in a movie...make it a rom com that is as sweet as ever..:phew:

• Like 6
  • Love 5

The meaning of the moon in Encounter

From the start, the writer and drawer make sure that viewers can associate our heroine CSH to the moon. First, let us focus on the first drawing. Here, the princess appears in a dark and gloomy environment. It is not just night, the moon doesn't seem to shine like it should.

Encounter drawing episode 1 introduction.png 

Notice that it is not even full moon and the moon crescent is even hidden by the huge castle. All these points (moon crescent, hidden by the castle and lack of brilliance) underlines that CSH is not herself in the end. Since the castle embodies Y. Group and the pavilion Donghwa Hotel, we can better understand why CSH is still perceived as the ex-daughter in law of the chairman Kim. Now you might wonder why CSH is connected to the moon? First, it is quite simple. In the poetry, woman is often associated with the moon. This is no coincidence because the menstrual cycle lasts around 28 days which corresponds to the lunar cycle: 28 days. Another point is that in Europe, in many languages the moon is a feminine noun: la lune (French), la luna (Spanish, Italian) aso because they all have the same origin: luna from latin which was also a feminine noun because in the Roman mythology, Luna was a goddess. 

But now let us go back to our heroine. In the first episode, we witness her awakening which happens with the sunset. It was as if the sun would kiss the sea (another element embodying CSH) which would awaken our heroine. However, the beholder shouldn't forget that the sunset announces the rise of the moon. And now you understand better why CSH acts so differently in Cuba. During this night, the moon shines just like CSH. During this fateful night, CSH reveals herself in front of KJH. She is far away from the castle and the gloomy environment.  Striking is that many important events also happen during the night:

• CSH visits KJH's playground after work.
    Spoiler

Encounter episode 2 JH CSH playground.png

Here she shows more her true personality as she is curious about this place.
  •  
    Spoiler

Encounter episode 3 JH and CSH the beach.png

Here, she plays happily, she can forget her worries and everything else. 
  • The scene where KJH is drunk
  • in the episode 5, she cries after leaving KJH because she thinks, she has to cut ties with him. She can not bear the thought therefore she visits the place where there is this huge painting that she likes
    Spoiler

Encounter episode 5 painting Whanki.png

What caught my attention is this taking. KJH feels happy first, until he looks at these pictures.
    Spoiler

Encounter JH photos moon and hands.png

Look at the photo on the left. The moon is about to be hidden, the moon crescent is barely visible. As you can observe, this picture kind of sends a warning: CSH is about to hide herself again. 
  • Spoiler

Encounter episode 11 JH and CSH playground.png

In the episode 11: she sits on the swing underlining that she is accepting KJH's world. She feels comfortable. She is not hiding as she is also wearing a red coat. 
  • And in the last episode, she meets KJH at his playground again. This scene mirrors the scene from the episode 2, however the role are here reversed. While KJH was the one who caught there, CSH is the one who surprises her loved one. And during this night, it not only snowed but also they kissed in that playground. It was as if the kiss sealed their relationship. The beholder can notice that as time passed on, KJH and CSH got closer each time, when they were at the playground. In the former picture, KJH was not equal to CSH. He is on his knees and barely touches her knee. Now, both are standing but KJH embraces without restraint. This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-4.png

All these mentioned scenes had something in common: CSH was herself, she never contained her true feelings. She couldn't even hide her thoughts and even her happiness. That's why CSH is like Cinderella. Cinderella is forced to only appear during the night due to the balls. Here, Cinderella shines. Yet, the writer changed one thing. In Cinderella, the protagonist hides her true identity behind her beautiful gown therefore no one can recognize her. In Encounter, it is different. CSH does the opposite: she reveals her true personality. Actually, the situation is reversed. She is not a princess, but a single woman longing for love and warmth. She becomes a normal woman, she drops her princess status. By associating CSH to the moon, we understand better why CSH was suffering from insomnia. The moon is only visible during the night... so CSH could only "live" during the night, as she was living like a corpse during the day. But even during the night, her actions were limited as she was monitored by the media and her ex-mother in law. Her insomnia was a symptom that CSH couldn't live freely.

But the moon can not live without the sun as the moon revolves around the sun. In another analysis I had pointed out that the sun symbolizes KJH. Without the sun, the moon can not shine at all and this applies to our heroine. That's why at the end of this drama, the drawing put these two together. KJH as the sun helps CSH to shine, as she can smile and be happy. 

Encounter episode 16 drawing ending 1.png

Let me know what you think about this new analysis.

@jl08 @dukesa1122 @stardustvoid @lolipop86gorgeous @nikir@roshzanna@twtwb @avondale16@thistle @rosiepeonie188@angelmas

• Like 3
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 7

@avondale16 & @angelmas

I also miss Encounter, I would suggest, if you have not already watched it, to try Romance is a Bonus Book.  I think you will like the story.  It is about everyday people; however, there is no over the top plots, no evil mother or mother-in-law, trying to break-up the couple.   Romance is a Bonus Book  is not as engaging as Encounter; however, I enjoyed the drama, the main actors and the supporting actors.  It left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

That's why at the end of this drama, the drawing put these two together. KJH as the sun helps CSH to shine, as she can smile and be happy. 

Cool. Great. I did not realize the last picture or the last drawing at the end of the drama. Need to see this. Excellent analysis. And thank you. :heart:

I like it when you associate to cinderella but reversed role. This drama is very deep and can be seen from many angle and perspectives from fairy tales to the moon. When i see drama nowadays that zoom to hands and/or feet, it always reminds me to your analysis in encounter and makes me smile remembering your in depth analysis.

4 hours ago, Carmarie said:

I think you will like the story.

I like this story too. Thank you for recommending this. Any more or any other drama?

• Like 3

Thank you @bebebisous33 for continuing your analysis.

The drama is really deep. The more i dig it, the deeper i get to know its meaning. The meaning that contributes to the consistency of the story.

The moon represents Soo Hyun and Soo Hyun represents the moon.

Whether its full moon, new moon, half moon, quarter moon, it represents Soo Hyun , her feelings, her thoughts, her situation.

That scene in ep 16, where JH texted SH about the moon, its the first text of JH that she read and obliged to after the break -up.

• Like 8

Hi @bebebisous33! It’s been a minute

I completely agree with your analysis. I miss all the symbolisms we get to dissect with the drama.

CSH - moonlight, KJH - sunlight

It’s just a beautiful parallel. I know this symbolism has often been used to describe lovers. Miss Saigon comes to mind too. 

Even PBG sang the song “The Moon Represents My Heart” recently and reading the English lyrics, it could pass as the drama’s soundtrack. 

:)

• Like 10

@bebebisous33 Thank you for still analyzing the Encounter.. I gain more knowledge and understanding everytime I read your posts... :wub:

I am still repeating as if there will be anything new.. but still enjoying every little bits of the drama....

I think Kim Jin Hyuk is a very extra ordinary son and man... I love how he settled his mom's worries, how he understood his mom's love and how he never raised his voice towards his mom.... When his mom realized that she's wrong, and let her son to hate her, he said... I love you mom...

I think it's very, very amazing.... It's common story in real life (and in drama) that a son and a mother's relationship could be cracked if not ruined because of the son's gf/wife... And this KJH's way is amazing... He's a good bridge between her mom and CSH... 

This is to point out also, how Woo Seok had failed to become a good bridge between SH and his mom... and made SH suffered a lot...

Also... I am glad this thread is still alive! :kiss_wink:

• Like 6
  • Love 5

Still missing JinSoo each and everytime.. 

I watch them everytime i need a good cry

Thank you @bebebisous33 for continuing the analyses.. apart from the drama, reading your analyses is what i miss the most. 

we probably already losing hope for the dvd and their extra bts to be released but at least we can be assured that Encounter and the simbolism beyond the drama makes this drama a classic one.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Is SHK or CSH or both??, is reading this thread?  The last posts here  are about the moon and now she posted in her IG story, the book, la jeunne fille et la nuit . Though the cover of the book has a moon in the cover, i think the story is of different genre.... thriller, crime.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 3/29/2019 at 3:09 AM, Castnlic said:

Anyone happen to have the picture sweetest smile of Cha Soo-Hyun taken by Kim Jin-Hyeok? One that made Soo-Hyun realise how happy she is when with Jin-Hyeok (final ep)

this picture, right?

Yjm62UV.jpg

9dm6sG5.jpg

------------------

Encounter still cuts (ep.2) for Japanese broadcast

Source : Mnet_Japan

D2t-JYVU8AYnVt6.jpg

Spoiler

D2t-JZPU8AAfvmg.jpg

D2t-IL2U0AIUAyo.jpg

D2t-JXnUkAACUYw.jpg

• Like 3