[Drama 2018-2019] Fates and Furies 운명과 분노

the girl who!

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler

I never would have guessed the attempted murderer would have been Go Ah Jung. Granted she was in a tough situation herself but hurting or attempting to murder someone is not an excuse. I thought she would play a significant role in bringing the evil son/mom, and she did play a big role. But what a twisted plot.

Really enjoyed this drama. This show had many plots and twist from the very beginning and it did not disappoint in the end either( at least for me). 

Welp - hated the ending as expected. The writing has been poor from around the middle so not sure what I was expecting. IJ up there as one of my least favourite main characters. If the first few episodes didn't drag me in so much and Lee Min Jung wasn't in it there was no way I'd have made it to the end.

Issues with this show stem from just not connecting or feeling for any characters in this show. IJ originally but he became incompetent at nearly all facets of life pretty early on. Usually shows can make difficult characters have heart but this show failed in that. No-one was really innocent in this show (even HR's sister getting pregnant with a married guy) which isn't rare in kdramas but they failed to make anyone sympathetic when thinking about the main core of characters. 

I'm very indifferent to romance in shows but this one barely felt like one. 

Spoiler

IJ handed his "revenge" on a platter by everyone, didn't have to work for it at all. Probably even screws up his retrial in some incompetent way if HR's sister didn't wake up to point out the culprit for him. His revenge didn't feel very satisfactory at all for me. His character development has been non-existent for me and he has just been too "weak"/incompetent since he stopped his revenge the first time.

How the SIL knew about SH being the mother of Jennie never explained. Why TO needs HR to get the kidney not explained considering the SIL's answer was SH who he would have known about anyway and he could have blackmailed like he ended up doing anyway. JH going to prison for a very long time/life for various things including conspiracy to murder and whatnot and your telling me he's not going to mention HR doing dodge stuff with him for those years after she's the one that essentially brings him down and screwed him? Pretty sure he makes a point a few episodes ago about getting her involved to get her dirty. Nothing about why SH gave up the kid in the first place,the character was just completely neglected in the second half of this show. Know nothing about Min Woo. Having the SIL being the attempted murderer as well was just dumb for me and them trying to have a twist in the final two episodes - cop out resolution with near zero impact on the end game.

Best scene of the last two episodes was the airport scene but the kids stay losing. Jennie and Min Woo both shafted in their lives due to adult drama

The more I think about the show the dumber it gets so I'm just going to stop thinking and discussing it. Will have to avoid this writer in the future.

@anony12345  my guess about the kidney issue was that soo hyun being her birth mother may be allowed to donate without questions... ofcourse that doesn't answer how tae oh knew soo hyun would be a match (maybe he knew her blood group? is that all that is needed?) etc...

not sure if it is coincidence but there is also another current airing drama about blood transplant (for leukemia) in promise with God. there is also mention of how lack of RH- blood ends up creating this situation in empress dignity... so it just may be that discussions on transplant and laws was already happening in the local korean news (or has been for some time) and so, folks are already aware of these details. so the writer may not have had to do much explaining for domestic viewers if that is the case....

4 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@anony12345  my guess about the kidney issue was that soo hyun being her birth mother may be allowed to donate without questions... ofcourse that doesn't answer how tae oh knew soo hyun would be a match (maybe he knew her blood group? is that all that is needed?) etc...

not sure if it is coincidence but there is also another current airing drama about blood transplant (for leukemia) in promise with God. there is also mention of how lack of RH- blood ends up creating this situation in empress dignity... so it just may be that discussions on transplant and laws was already happening in the local korean news (or has been for some time) and so, folks are already aware of these details. so the writer may not have had to do much explaining for domestic viewers if that is the case....

Not 100% sure what point you're trying to make.

Why would he need the SIL to tell him anything about SH and how does she even know SH was Jennie's mom. It was never explained how she knew what she did when it seems like SH's mother covered it up or how she convinces TO with information he already knew. You're telling me someone as desperate as he is made out needed the SIL to point out the mom might be a good donor? That makes no sense to me. It's like the guy flies all the way to Korea desperate for a kidney only for some random lady to tell him the mom is a good donor.

This show set up interesting characters and plot threads but none materialised into a clever/shocking/interesting conclusion. It's like when some people watched Lost expecting cool explanations/answers and all you got were half thought on conclusions. This show just ended up being very unimaginative/vanilla despite the interesting start.

And with regards to the romance, saw this comment on mydramalist and it very much sums up how I feel about it and never cared/wanted them together in the end. The "relationship" rarely had moments of mutual genuineness.

The Romance in this is very.. lacking. It feels like everything was faked, even though they DID have feelings for each other.. it didn't feel like it. Goo Hye Ra never opened up and trusted In Joon no matter what he gave up for her, and even in the end, it was up to In Joon to patch things up and approach her once again. I'm not saying she should've done that instead, I'm just bothered by this.. love, which seems like a one sided affection.
She never held onto him, never believed and trusted him enough to ask him for help, and she ended up making criminal mistakes and hating herself in return until he showed up again.

Really hope the background music gets released even though it seems pretty rare for kdramas. Really enjoyed some of those pieces.

24 minutes ago, anony12345 said:

Not 100% sure what point you're trying to make. 

I meant about why tae oh needed oh soo hyun specifically to donate or how it would occur etc... am guessing that it has to do with local transplant laws and connected issues that don't need explaining for the local audience. supposing the law was strict and doesn't allow non-family members to donate, then it would be obvious to local audience why tae oh doesn't have much options besides soo hyun and waiting for a long time on the waiting list.. if hong kong doesn't do transplants for foreigners, then it would be obvious to local audience that as koreans, he would have to return to seoul.... so if there is already existing knowledge with domestic audience that doesn't require explanation, then the writer may skip on that info...

for example with drama 'empress dignity', we were wondering why RH- blood was an issue.. then one of the posters explained that in korea, it is even rarer compared to rest of world (where it is around 10% of population) and so there are shortages at times.

so, my feel from this drama is that there are perhaps a few missing gaps like that in regards to the transplant which may have to do with knowledge that domestic viewers would already have and so the writer doesn't bother to explain... however, it could also simply be gaps in writing... difficult to tell either way..

That's fair enough but that's not the point I was trying to make - why does the SIL need to tell him that and how can she possible use that as a bargaining chip

You're telling me he has been desperately looking for a kidney but didn't consider SH once until some random lady he had never seen before told him? If anything your point backs up my point that it's dumb. If say the law is only family members can donate why in the world would he need some random lady to tell him to consider the mother?

I'm not Korea but I'd like to think it's obvious parents/siblings are a good place to start when looking for a donor.

so I watched the final two episodes and all I can say is "meh/so-so"... this drama had this real spark when it started and then it just kind of disappeared? there were quite a few plot holes and questions that just weren't explained... if the uncle had all the material needed to punish them, why not use them earlier? usually in revenge dramas, you feel such a sense of satisfaction when the bad guy gets punishment in the end but here, was feeling flat. was it because injoon didn't have to do too much work to get revenge and so we didn't get invested for 16+ episodes like it happens in other revenge dramas? ....

stuff that I liked sort of -- cha soo hyun's journey with tae oh; so we didn't get a weird happy ending sort of tacked into the end. instead, we had a bittersweet parting that made sense. they may or may not keep in touch but she acknowledged her kid. now why she ran off from them both before -- that question was never answered....

loan shark gets their store running and seems to playfully harass them; was that always their relationship? like he was a friend but he is in the bad side? never got the full dynamic of his relationship to the sisters...

so it turned out to be the sister-in-law; found it interesting that she seemed to have no issue with hera's sister being the mistress but was more worried about competition for her son. so was it all about succession? hoping that her son would take over the company and all her heartaches would finally make sense? wish they had explored that a bit more so it had some kind of depth...

so I wasn't sure whether to like or dislike the happy ending with hera. on one hand, it felt abrupt that he just forgave her when we didn't see the work and struggle that goes into it. on the other, we get a kind of hopeful feel after watching so many episodes (and I dislike sad endings; we got real life stress for that!)... so win? but what I did like is how he recognized the shoe design and immediately asked that lady -- where did you buy your shoes? that was a nice touch...

so altogether -- so-so! see you chingus in another thread! :)

What a nonsense , are we supposed to believe stepmother & her son did all these crime to cover for something they didn’t do ,  If they want to used it to get rid off  In joon why not used at that moment , why Wait for years until the real murder could used it :triumph: 

Wow only in kdrama people wake up the right moment, not once but twice , how quick it was for dad to wake up and had the strength to talk even - was that a miracle or the miracle was the sister to be able to tell who try to kill her and remembering after years it was sister in law , if I was sisters law  I will challenge it , for gad sake she was sick for years , can her memory be stable , so police take her word for it , never mind they prison innocent man for it before , wouldn’t they be wary about it :crazy:

My final thoughts after watching subs...

Well the ending to me was kind of meh. No real surprises except for who actually tried to kill He Ra's sister. I didn't really see that coming. I still kind of felt bad for Ah Jung. She was a battered woman but trying to kill someone she perceived as a threat was way to much. Had she not done that, she would have been the most sympathetic character in the whole drama.

A couple of dots I could not quite connect. What was JTO's motivation for going along with the plan? Was it just getting a kidney for Jennie. To me it was an elaborate way of going about it. What if He Ra had not played along in the beginning? Where would he have been then? Also, the old man should have ended up in prison with the rest of them and he got off scott free.

Still didn't get CSH's character. I didn't get how a woman can basically abandon her child. SMH!

This drama had so much potential in the end but the last 3 weeks it kind of felt flat. The writer spent so much effort in opening up the story lines in the first half but kind of lost their way towards the end. Still I watched it until the end just to see the ending. Kind of disappointed. Off well! There are other dramas to watch so I'll keep clicking. I enjoyed everyone's comments in this thread reading everyone's theories kept me engaged. Happy trails and hope to see you in another thread somewhere.

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so it turned out to be the sister-in-law; found it interesting that she seemed to have no issue with hera's sister being the mistress but was more worried about competition for her son. so was it all about succession? hoping that her son would take over the company and all her heartaches would finally make sense? wish they had explored that a bit more so it had some kind of depth...

Nailed it! My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts

I thought the last two episodes were rushed (as with many other Korean dramas).  It would have been nice, since there was a time jump, to start down fall of his brother and step mother earlier.  I think he wasted to much time hating HaeRa and not enough time planning his family's down fall.  Okay, I could see his first meeting with her, telling her how he felt; however, once he heard the tapes and understood that she had been manipulated by the step-mother, he should have been adult enough to let those "I am so hurt" feelings go and move on to look, I am still extremely upset that you thought I could do such a thing, but I understand you were manipulated by my step-mother and brother, let's bring them down together and have her included in the strategy sessions.  Instead of Soo-Hyun and HaeRa's interview, show Soo-Hyun going to the Karate class to see her daughter ( that would have been a "aah" moment.)

I liked the twist that it was the sister-in-law, A-Jung, that contacted Tae-Oh. Some of you guessed it was her right away.  When she went to see him, she was battered!  Not only did Jung-ho cheat on her, he also battered her. The final straw is that he withheld her son from her. To get revenge for her family (whom the father caused to go bankrupt) and for her son, whom Jung Ho would not let her see, she plotted to take the company away from them and give to her son. When she asked for Jun-Ho's stock to be transferred to her son,  I gathered that he is Jun-Ho's son also.  Her plan was to put a wedge between Soo-Hyun and In Joon  was because if they married, the Gold Corporation would definitely go to In-Joon and her son would lose out. 

A-Jung claimed she tried to kill Hae-Ra's sister because another baby should not come into that family.  I don't think that was the main reason she wanted to get rid of Hae-Ra sister.  Remember the father threw In-Joon's mother, his legal wife out, and moved his mistress in to the home.  Jun-Ho, although older is not on the family's register and therefore, not recognized as a part of the Tae family, nor is he a legitimate heir.    I think the sister-in-law felt that Jun-Ho could do that same thing to her and her son would lose out; therefore, she tried to kill Hae-Ra's sister and the unborn baby.  I did not see that coming.   As the con man asked In-Joon, who has the most to gain?  Of course, A-Jung and the her son.  Some were concerned about the son, I am sure In-Joon will make sure he is taken care of and will not treat him the way he was treated, there should not be any worries there.  

I also liked that Soo-Hyun reconciled with Jenny.  I think in the end that is all Tae-Oh wanted.  Jenny needs a mother in her life, even if they can only talk on the phone or meet once a year. Some wanted to know how Jenny knew she was her mother, Soo-Hyun's mother told Jenny, I am your grandmother.  When Soo-Hyun took Jenny from her mother, she addressed her mother by title.  I am sure once Jenny though about it she put the two together.  

I am glad they got back together in the final episode, but it was too little, too late for me. However, I did like the dialog between the two on the beach.  He thought about how things would be different had he not taken her hand, (paraphrasing), and going through all they have, he would still take her hand.  Would she still take his hand... Hae-Ra nodded yes and he put out his hand for her to take it.  I just wished it would have ended with a hug and final kiss or a walk on the beach holding hands.  

In all, not a bad drama.  The writing could have been a lot tighter, but I still enjoyed the drama.  What made it better is being able to interact with everyone here.    Hopefully, I will see you on  another post.  I am currently watching several Chinese dramas and I am reading the synopsis of several new K-dramas.  I hope I pick one or two good ones to watch.   

Sorry for rambling on...bye guys, it has been fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Done watching this drama recently although it has been on my 'to watch' list for sometime.  Have read most of the comments here and i can say i share the same thought with some of you.

I agree with @Lmangla there were plot holes in this drama.  First i'm baffled  how Ah Jung was able to make Hyun Joo unconscious before lighting the coal briquettes. Did she gave her sleeping pills but that would have to be forced into her and there would have been a struggle of sorts. 

Second, it doesn't make sense that Ah Jung approached TaeO so he can get revenge on Soo Hyun or kidney for her daughter? c'mon i can throw this logic out the window. At the end of the drama we saw that Jeannie was miraculously  cured of whatever kidney diseases she suffered and didn't need a kidney transplant, how convenient. So she wasn't that desperate to get a kidney transplant in the first place and not desperate enough for TaeO to threatened He Ra into going through with that charade with In Joon. Even if he did will In Joon fall for He Ra?

Third, i don't understand why Ah Jung need to bring down In Joon? Competition? With all the evidence/recordings she gathered over the years she can just give them to the most sane person in that house i.e. In Joon and get her part of the share for Min Woo and unite her with her son, which she actually did in the end. But for all the crazy things that resulted in her actions brought her only separation from him..again. She was lucky that Hyun Joo didn't die and she may only be imprison for a short time. 

What's  exactly is Chang Soo's relationship with He Ra and Hyun Joo. One time he was a nasty loan shark and the next he became a mild mannered detective.   

Somehow i didn't get the chemistry between the leads. I like Lee Min Jung in Midas but not here, sometimes she would just stare with that forlorn look before saying anything and i was like sigh!! and i didn't see much of Joo Sang Wook's fury as the In Joon and the revenge towards the end was rather easy. 

The show didn't give me that 'i can't wait for the next episode' feeling.  As someone said it 'fell flat' after a couple of episodes but since i watched the completed show i did a lot of fast forwards. 

I would rate it as 4 out of 10. 

Archived