[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

47 minutes ago, aurelly said:

Keep posting guys, I really enjoy what you guys post.

Gumawo Chinggu!

I love that polaroid shot of the pair that the high school kids gave GWJ. Sneaky Mr. Gong just stashes it in his pants.

Guess that makes him fangirl's fanboy.

tumblr_pdhfbe7QFT1valxs7o2_r1_500.gif

2 hours ago, ara8 said:

Hi chingus! this is my first time for this forum. I couldnt hold it anymore, I love this drama so much especially the leads..hehe.

This is my first time seeing shin hye sun drama, she is so good. yang se jong is always good

They make a really good chemistry as a couple. Cant wait for their confession, dating..of course first kiss..huhu:P

And welcome, @ara8  and @gster3 and everyone joining us!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gster3 said:

That's a lot of Kims in one Korean drama.  

Usually siblings and relatives share a middle or other name besides the last name. Like Seo Ri's mom and her brother, Seo Ri's uncle also share Hyun.  If you look up the meaning of Hyun, it means "mysterious." Both Seo Ri's parents and her uncle and aunt have Hyun in their names.  Clearly the uncle's and aunt's disappearance is one of the biggest mysteries of this show.  However, I think it's also the writer's way of saying her parents' death is also a mystery and not as straightforward as it seems.  

Usually writers put a lot of thought into their characters' names.  So why does the dead man share familial like similar names with Seo Ri's rival? Their names even rhymes that usually reserved for siblings and children's names similar to their parents. We've only seen Tae Rin's mom, not her dad. The dead man by name seems more likely to be related to Tae Rin than Jennifer's Korean name.  

Kim Hyung Tae also shares the Tae with Tae Rin and they both have the same last name which leads me to believe they're siblings.  If the dead man is Tae Jin's father then that makes his story even more tragic and we need him to be onscreen more so we can find out more about his story.  He deserves much better considering how long he was looking after Seo Ri.  It makes more sense that Tae Jin would hear that his father died or was hurt and he ran to the hospital than if his friend was hurt because during the immediate aftermath of such a chaotic, huge, and devastating accident, only immediate families would be notified.  

Yellow shoes called Jennifer, "Hwang Mi Jung" which doesn't share the last name with Kim Tae Jin. Though that alone doesn't rule out that he was her husband. The theory that her husband died and the stress caused her to lose her baby makes sense because Seo Ri's uncle and Jennifer met on a rainy day and the bus accident happened on a rainy day.  She could have just found out her husband died.

Someone speculated that the woman who rushed out from the cab wearing pink could have been Jennifer. Yet Jennifer was wearing black in that flashback on that rainy day.  Yet black is too soon to be worn if she just found out her husband died in that devastated moment in the rain to already be wearing black to mourn him. So many contradicting clues.  

At this point I can only compare clues because I am still overall clueless about Jennifer at this point.  

These speculations make the show even more interesting.  What does everyone else think? 

simplicity.. i will have to go back and watch episodes to come up with clues.. but what if it is simple,

Jennifer's hubby died in the accident. She crossed paths with uncle. For some reason she and uncle kept bumping into each other (who owns the library?), aunt thought uncle is having an affair.. things escalated and became worse..uncle and aunt split.. and uncle has been trying to make ends meet and keep depositing hospital fees.. aunt is just following jennifer's whereabouts

This scene cracked me up. Seori is so cute here! To think she treasured a brown paper bag that this guy flinged to the floor like rubbish! Her expression is priceless, "that's my bag!" and I realised that's really her bag as she brought it to work the next day. After which Hee Soo gave her a bag. That's such small details that this drama is showing in every little scene! 

And I'm actually glad that the kiss had not happened yet. As always, they go into a nice romantic mood and SOMETHING funny is bound to happen. First the plunger then the onions hahaha! And Deukgoo must be laughing at her two crazy owners! They are obviously attracted to each other already and I love their "some" relationship (Korean context) now. They need to heal before moving on which is why I love the writer's pace slowly building up their relationship, opening up to each other before they can move on to their next stage and finding out Seori's identity. 

Love the train scene and that Polaroid pic. And absolutely loved that beach scene... Our otp showed what great acting skills is!

And as always, Shin Hyesun never disappoints me.

@Mau_Cherry Wow, good catch! The writer has thought the story through! If I had to guess, I would say SR will go away to Germany to complete her studies OR she will be in a concert by the teacher who had first given her a break in his team and that scene with WJ on the beach with her poster is when she will come back.

@stuartjmz My not being surprised at TR being the typical second female lead had nothing to do with your claims or inside information. :) It was basic story telling and character understanding. Humans are a competitive being. Jealousy, insecurity is the obvious trait of many, especially professionally. There was a reason why TR was introduced as being in the same profession as SR. She is still too young to be a genuine mentor. She is still at an age where she will see other talented violinists as competition. Especially, SR because SR is her age and even young was pure talent and had no family connections. You may see it as cliche and predictable but from my perspective, its not, because from the start we knew and saw that SR loves playing Violin by her feel and talent over a set setlist. I said this before but IMHO talent trumps training, and if that talent receives training, watch out, which is why TR is insecure of SR even now. There will always be a difference between someone who has been trained in a craft and someone who genuinely loves it. Be it playing an instrument, writing, painting or anything else. This is why, I did not find it cliche that a 17 year old SR knew about the composer but TR didn't. Because SR loved it and studied the music, its detail with a passion, whereas TR only pursued excellence due to her pushy mother.  She had no reason to google about the music(as a doubt or just extra information) when the detail was given in her book. Anyway, for your sake, I hope TR doesn't become too evil. :)

off all the drama this series could have, would our main conflict seriously be a woman insecured of her talent and trying to obstruct another's talent's discovery?

#just_don't_hurt_chan

#that_schoolfriend_is_actually_a_good_girlfriend_to_have_forchan

7 hours ago, stuartjmz said:

Since 1 in every 5 Koreans has the family name Kim, the odds are, no relation at all, at least not between all of them.  Asking wghat are the links between the Kims?" in a show set in Seoul would be like asking "why so many Smiths?" in a show set in the US :)

i have never met a smith in the USA :smirk: and the only smith i have heard of is will smith

24 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

Except, SR  got it wrong.

And my point was that Tae Rin's JOB now is as a professor, someone whose function is to teach others.  As I said, any professor, regardless of how "passionate" they are, would know more about their subject than I could find by simply skimming  Google and Wikipedia. And much like Google's "Don't be evil" mantra is history nowadays   the "evil" ship  has clearly sailed, with KTR at the helm.  She's lying to obstruct someone's being rediscovered. That's pretty evil already, and we have 12 episodes to go. 

Are you talking about Edmund Angerer? But that is still disputed and some even suggested that Michael Haydn(Joseph's younger brother) may be the composer. All we know for sure is that Joseph Haydn is not the composer and Leopold Mozart was given the rights to it. He will remain the composer till its proved otherwise so SR is not exactly wrong.

She is a new professor though, so that can explain her not knowing the real composer. Or she may just be bad at her job. LOL. That happens when you don't love your job. Anyway, it's true that she has sailed in the evil ship, but she hasn't sunk too low as yet.

5 minutes ago, stuartjmz said:

That doesn't surprise me :D Smith is the most common surname in the US, but even though it's the most common, there is succh a diversity of surnames that only a small fraction of the population have that surname. UNLIKE Korea, where half the population have one about four family names.  The situation with "Smith" in the US is a bit like that of Hindi in India - it is far and away the biggest single language in India, but 75% of the population don't speak it as L1  

Meaning, that kim theory might actually hold some weight

1 minute ago, stuartjmz said:

Statistically, at least 20% of the characters in the Drama SHOULD have the family name "Kim" There ahould be more Kims than any other   family name, more Lees than Parks, etc. 

and its a drama.. memory losses and birth secrets happen 99% of the time .. the world is limited to the set of characters we see, their entire ancestry.. .. so yea.. lets just wait and watch

I believe that any character in a story is important, whether they are the protagonists, antagonists, or side characters. I've always been interested in antagonists with some meat in them. They're not "evil" for the sake of being evil. There's a reason why the character turned out that way. In this case, TR was struggling with pressure from her mom and from her insecurities. Like what happened to WJ, the trauma that the character experienced during childhood was still present even when they're already adults. Now, I'm interested in how TR overcomes this and how her character development will go.

Anyway, the cast are doing great in owning their roles. Can't wait to see where the story goes in the next episodes! I hope they start solving some of the puzzles so at least we know that SR and WJ's relationship will move further. Haha

Yang Se Jong & Shin Hye Sun spotted filming outdoor, and looks like Seo Ri finally gave Woo Jin his present :D

3017 will move a bit slo-wer due to Asian Games; SBS will only air one episode on Tuesday. Darn sports are getting in the way of my drama watching again (here is when we console ourselves that it'll give the production team time to catch up on filming...lol)

5 minutes ago, mademoisellesia said:

Darn sports are getting in the way of my drama watching again (here is when we console ourselves that it'll give the production team time to catch up on filming...lol)

SOB - I am so selfish - and greedy - I just noticed ... you are right... I hope they will take a good rest. Must be hard for the whole team. So I will deal with only one episode.

Not sure if the the subtitles translated what was on the Polaroid, (i only saw the raw) but it said "have a beautiful love". I found it so adorable that he saw that smiled and stashed it in his pocket. Boy totally knows he's developing feelings for SR. I also love that he's respecting her opinions and allowing her to choose her own path. In regards to housing choices. I was totally crying with SR as she was leaving their home and then had it turn immediately around when the lady opened the door. Ha. Was not expecting that!

41 minutes ago, mapleoaks5 said:

Not sure if the the subtitles translated what was on the Polaroid, (i only saw the raw) but it said "have a beautiful love". I found it so adorable that he saw that smiled and stashed it in his pocket. Boy totally knows he's developing feelings for SR. I also love that he's respecting her opinions and allowing her to choose her own path. In regards to housing choices. I was totally crying with SR as she was leaving their home and then had it turn immediately around when the lady opened the door. Ha. Was not expecting that!

Even watching it with subs - knowing what to come they manage to make me tear up - ah really...

So - for the room - whas that Jennifer??? She said on the phone - find another room with the same conditions.... so wait... she managed that? So thats why it sounded to good to be true but did not worked out in the end because of the delay.

She has connections - for sure. And she was not like a servant - but more like the CEO of a company - what is going on here.

31 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

So - for the room - whas that Jennifer??? She said on the phone - find another room with the same conditions.... so wait... she managed that? So thats why it sounded to good to be true but did not worked out in the end because of the delay.

She has connections - for sure. And she was not like a servant - but more like the CEO of a company - what is going on here.

I didn't know what to think of that.  I thought she was trying to find herself a new job, thinking that she wouldn't be making the move to Chan's place.  Was it ever explained if she was moving too?

And now that Chan's mom is back, will Jennifer's job be done anyway??

3 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

I didn't know what to think of that.  I thought she was trying to find herself a new job, thinking that she wouldn't be making the move to Chan's place.  Was it ever explained if she was moving too?

Maybe she is helping Seori look for a room ?

Archived