[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

9 hours ago, gster3 said:

Yellow shoes called Jennifer, "Hwang Mi Jung" which doesn't share the last name with Kim Tae Jin. Though that alone doesn't rule out that he was her husband. 

As far as I know Korean women (this applies to other Asian countries too) don’t take after their husband’s surname (last name). Even when they get married, they have the same surname. Only children take after their father’s surname.

I’ve lived in Europe since I was 5 but my parents come from Vietnam originally and I remember how upset I was when my classmates kept asking if my parents were divorced since they had different surnames. From what gathered it’s a deeply patriarchal tradition - like saying “even if you marry into our family, you don’t completely belong here, only your children do.”

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, stuartjmz said:

Considering how often I have repeatedly and explicitly said this would happen to her, it definitely should not come as a surprise. Even though her part is TINY, they have still made her a villain. We saw her actively lie in tonight's episode,  and I am sure there is worse to come.  It's déjà vu for poor WJW, the role (or what's left of it) is a virtual clone of the parts she had in Hospital Ship and  Divorce Lawyer in Love. 

In an earlier comment, I said I had been warned the worst was yet to come, and someone replied "you have inside information, I have hope" Now,  As KTR's character enters "evil second" Hell, the words of Dante are apt, Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate"  "Abandon all hope, you who enter here"

I believe that NO ONE is beyond redemption, so I still (perhaps foolishly) haven't given up hope for TR.  But, as you've pointed out, they've shown us so little of her to actually know very much about her beyond surface judgments.  Only in k-drama terms does she appear like a villain to me.  In real life, I would not be so quick to judge.  After all, Chan has also actively lied, and I wouldn't want to base his whole character on that.

The real shame is that her minutes are negligible and that isn't what she signed up for.  We all hear you, and you've probably made us all WJW followers for life. :D

10 hours ago, 1ouise said:

@stuartjmz Normally I wouldn’t think twice about the Kims, but they are combined with a lot of Taes.

@gster3 I think it is two different rainy days. It looks like Jennifer on both days, and her pregnancy is further along when she is dark clothed.

@meechuttso “There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home.”

I agree all those Kim Taes are not random coincidences by the writer.  I accidentally wrote Hyung Tae for Tae Jin a couple of times in my original post, but have now fixed it.

Thanks for the screen shot and theory of the pink cab lady.  You could be right about pink dress cab lady being Jennifer, but writers don't generally have flashbacks of two rainy days that are from two different days unless it was a theme of the show.  The rainy day for this show has come to mean the bus accident day and it would be too confusing to make two rainy scenes of two different days because that would water down the bus accident meaning of the rainy day. Her uncle being in that scene with Jennifer goes along with Seo Ri calling her aunt on that day saying he was in Korea and not Japan like they had thought.  

45 minutes ago, aisling said:

As far as I know Korean women (this applies to other Asian countries too) don’t take after their husband’s surname (last name). Even when they get married, they have the same surname. Only children take after their father’s surname.

I’ve lived in Europe since I was 5 but my parents come from Vietnam originally and I remember how upset I was when my classmates kept asking if my parents were divorced since they had different surnames. From what gathered it’s a deeply patriarchal tradition - like saying “even if you marry into our family, you don’t completely belong here, only your children do.”

I agree and think the same that was why I said it does not rule him out as her husband just because they have different last names. 

57 minutes ago, 1ouise said:

I didn't know what to think of that.  I thought she was trying to find herself a new job, thinking that she wouldn't be making the move to Chan's place.  Was it ever explained if she was moving too?

And now that Chan's mom is back, will Jennifer's job be done anyway??

She asked before what kind of flat it will be and all that so she can prepare herself - so I always believed she will move with them - still working for Chans Mother.

My Feeling might be wrong - but I believe it was about SRs Room.

5 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

simplicity.. i will have to go back and watch episodes to come up with clues.. but what if it is simple,

Jennifer's hubby died in the accident. She crossed paths with uncle. For some reason she and uncle kept bumping into each other (who owns the library?), aunt thought uncle is having an affair.. things escalated and became worse..uncle and aunt split.. and uncle has been trying to make ends meet and keep depositing hospital fees.. aunt is just following jennifer's whereabouts

Interesting theory, that sounds much too twisted for this show considering they are supporting characters.  However, I will give you big props if you turn out to be right. Libraries unless they are private tend to be government run and that one seems way too big and official to be private.  Maybe Jennifer took refuge there during her painful time which explains her encyclopedia like knowledge on everything. Books and quotes may have kept her going during her darkest hours.  

Wow Coma Chinguuusss! There are so many great observations on this thread about this drama, which I am completely on board with. I have a few theories myself.

1. The mysterious man who showed up at the hospital where SR was staying. Call it cliche', but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the man who caused the accident. After all, the 12-car collision and bus accident was caused by the man driving that pickup truck full of tires that got loose and caused all of this.

2. I think NSM's parents could also be involved. She and SR were best friends who often shared things with one another. I could see her parents still checking in on SR after they lost their own daughter. Especially knowing that SR didn't have much family.

3. The mystery surrounding SR's family. The death of her parents at such an impressionable age is not lost on me. There is a reason why WJ ended up living in that house. A house that SR's father physically built. Her parents spent a lot of time creating a space for their family and each part of the home holds special memories. Honestly, SR is a bit of an enigma. She went through a LOT as a child. To lose not one but both of your parents at the same time when you are still a child is incredibly traumatic. Then she managed to keep going, studying the violin, becoming exceptional at it under the care of her aunt and uncle. However, them completely disappearing after she fell into a coma doesn't make sense. Something else happened.

4. The flashback of Jennifer in all-black on that rainy day was not the same day of the accident. The accident occurred in the late afternoon and by the time the medical responders came on the scene and got everyone to the hospital, we were already into the evening. You can see that on any of the accident flashbacks. I think the day Jennifer runs into SR's uncle is probably the day of his funeral since she was in all black. Also, everyone is assuming that she lost the baby due to stress, but what if she didn't? What if her child is being taken care of by someone else or is studying abroad? Maybe that is connected to why that lady in yellow was looking for her.

5. As someone who writes, I need the writers to tie up the amnesia that is going on here. SR has not only stopped looking for her aunt or uncle, but she hasn't tried to reach out to one friend. NSM was not her only friend. She knew people in the music world, she hasn't reached out to any of them. It just doesn't make any sense. Also, WJ, who had been gone for a long time too, he too hasn't seen anyone from his past. Everyone around him is new or people he has only known for the past few years. The longest relationship is Pres. Kang whom he works with and even she seems ignorant to a lot of information about him.

6. On to KTR. Yes, she is the antagonist in this drama, however, I feel like her character is tapping into something else that occurs in Korean society in the Arts. There is definitely a battle between the have and have nots when it comes to the music world. People with connections can get their foot in the door even when their talent doesn't. However, it always comes back to talent and skill. This reminds me of the drama Secret Love Affair and Yoo Ah In's character was poor and had lost his mother, but he had turned the music world upside down because his piano skills was undeniable. I don't think coming up SR was poor. Clearly her family wasn't doing too bad, but I believe they sacrificed to support her because her gift was so exceptional. So much so that those girls who were also studying music could easily see that she belonged in those spaces no matter where she came from. Despite that, KTR's mother looked down on her for not being rich, as if to insinuate to her daughter that only the wealthy and those with connections belong here. That was all her mother had because at the end of it all, the director wasn't pulling KTR aside and inviting her to go play in Germany. KTR was there because she PAID to be there. SR was there because she was invited. So, KTR has an inferiority complex, given to her by her mother who has used money and connections to overcompensate for skills that her daughter may lack in some areas. I get the distinct impression that while she is a very talented violinist, the paranoia of being found out has made her into someone who is actually getting by. This is why she missed the error regarding who should be the composer for that piece that has been debated about. Professor or not, if a piece is known a certain way and you aren't invested in the details, that is how you are going to reference it. SR being so gifted made her obssessive about the details, which is why she was aware of that little fact. 

7. Chan, our poor little Chan. Maybe in some other drama, this could turn into some sweet innocent noona romance that would make him happy and his heart soar. But, he just isn't there yet. While he and SR have things in common because emotionally she is still 17-18 years-old, the reality is she is still older and more developed than him. Even if this was 13 years ago, I don't know how she and Chan would get on. While innocent, SR was still more mature and knowledgeable than most kids her age. She was aloof and so focused on her craft that she could become unaware of everything around her, but she showed incredible maturity despite the terrible things she had been through. Chan is young, rich, carefree and slowly coming into his own as he heads toward adulthood. Maybe he will look at his classmate that likes him one day, but I just enjoy watching his innocence and purity of his love for SR and his uncle. What a sweet character.

Greetings everyone! I am coming out of my self imposed exile to join the comments here about this drama.

I have always been a fan of SHS, so I could not stay away. Loving everyone’s posts and insights,  you would all make great detectives!!

Loving this drama! :wub:

My thought is on WJ’s Thank You gift from SR that he was asking about. The box seemed small, so could it be possible there is some sort of keychain or something with a moon and a rabbit on it? Similar to the one that got stuck on him?

Those memories are so important to SR, and maybe she will share that with WJ.

Maybe that is how he will discover she is his secret crush.

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

Hey guys one thing I’m confused on. Is the woman in yellow also SRs aunt???

No, it’s a different actress from the actress who played her aunt, so we assume it’s someone from Jennifer’s past only. But who knows with k-dramas, right? 

3 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Wow Coma Chinguuusss! There are so many great observations on this thread about this drama, which I am completely on board with. I have a few theories myself.

1. The mysterious man who showed up at the hospital where SR was staying. Call it cliche', but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the man who caused the accident. After all, the 12-car collision and bus accident was caused by the man driving that pickup truck full of tires that got loose and caused all of this.

excellent.. you realize, nobody knows what is uncle's real job.. what if uncle and guy responsible for accident are same?

but that's some out of box thinking you have here.. had completely forgotten about that character.. However, people would have pursued a case against him back then right?

3. The mystery surrounding SR's family. The death of her parents at such an impressionable age is not lost on me. There is a reason why WJ ended up living in that house. A house that SR's father physically built. Her parents spent a lot of time creating a space for their family and each part of the home holds special memories. Honestly, SR is a bit of an enigma. She went through a LOT as a child. To lose not one but both of your parents at the same time when you are still a child is incredibly traumatic. Then she managed to keep going, studying the violin, becoming exceptional at it under the care of her aunt and uncle. However, them completely disappearing after she fell into a coma doesn't make sense. Something else happened.

Yup, financial trouble stuck .. but why not meet the girl at all in hospital

7. Chan, our poor little Chan. Maybe in some other drama, this could turn into some sweet innocent noona romance that would make him happy and his heart soar. But, he just isn't there yet. While he and SR have things in common because emotionally she is still 17-18 years-old, the reality is she is still older and more developed than him. Even if this was 13 years ago, I don't know how she and Chan would get on. While innocent, SR was still more mature and knowledgeable than most kids her age. She was aloof and so focused on her craft that she could become unaware of everything around her, but she showed incredible maturity despite the terrible things she had been through. Chan is young, rich, carefree and slowly coming into his own as he heads toward adulthood. Maybe he will look at his classmate that likes him one day, but I just enjoy watching his innocence and purity of his love for SR and his uncle. What a sweet character.

I wonder.. if you were WJ.. would you be comfortable liking or thinking of a girl romantically (sexually) when you know she is 17 in her mind and heart?

oh silly me..

i get it now

she is wearing dorothy's clothes.. 

she went to the foreign land straight from her home, and was brought back :) .. they should have let her find red shoes in dumpster just before WJ came to get her

991DFE505B74E82F1F

993F99475B74EA662A

This sneaky dude.  Did you get something? "Oh it's nutthin'. Let's go we'lll be late."

Let's wager on which episode he'll show this pic to Seo-Ri, shall we?

99B5CD445B74E31137

All from lovely   ❤️       http://kongssi.tistory.com/41 Go there to see many mooooooore!

And welcome to the forum many familiar chingoos esp @chardonnay from other happy places we shared at Soompi. :kiss_wink:

tumblr_pdjimiGoUm1valxs7o1_400.gif© @meechuttso B)

46 minutes ago, aniliaz said:

Annyeong chingudeul !!

Love this drama !! Love Shin Hye Sun !! 

Happy birthday gurl on this 31st August, same day with my country Independence day. Easy for me to remember .Hope you rise day by day.  

Welcome @aniliaz and @LavelyShai. Yes SHS was born on 1989 August 31st. ( Her IG is instagram.com/shinhs831 ).

Spoiler

And yesterday, August 15th was S. Korea's day of independence from about 40 years of Japanese occupation - Happy Belated Independence Day, Korea, the birth-place of SHS and YSJ and all our beloved actors and entertainers here ! (I guess this comment's more appropriate in the Mr Sunshine forum, haha).:D

I laughed and laughed and laughed at so many scenes of adorable Chan in eps 7 & 8. AHS is nailing Chan's part - so likeable and adorkable even for such a cartoon-like totally lovable fairy-tale character, he really feels like a early teen boy trapped in a big body. But I think the above gif is one where the actress SHS laughs at herself for such a silly script - I think the whole cast is going with the flow and not nitpicking about how crazy the whole story is - it just feels good, and the jumpy teenagers are starting to make me jump up and down too. :sweatingbullets:

But I do wish somebody had let me live at a place all paid for and all I had to do is feed the goldfish. Once a day.:astonished:

Episode 7 & 8

Within less than a month there's considerable changes in SR and WJ. The gap between them essentially dwindled to nothing. There's a sense of trust and both drawing out something from the other.

SR

Still17E13-00137-copy.jpg

Although still naive in many areas, she really exudes commonsense and maturity at times. Again as mentioned before i think shes handling herself and situation beautifully. If this drama was a different genre, namely melo; her character with the same conditions (lost 13 years, lost dreams, lost family, and being homeless) would have come off as extremely pitiful and even depressive- and could have reacted by shrinking back from the world. SO i really like the way shes written and potrayed so far- it's not the end of your life or the end of the world- instead SR is like a delayed flower bud - still taking her time to blossom. I also felt we've been thrown back to school with the two new words: Crescendo and Intermission

CRESCENDO

crescendo is a way for composers to indicate that a passage of music should gradually increase in loudness over time (opposite of a decrease in volume, which is described as a decrescendo). It is also used in non-musical contexts to describe any situation in which volume is increasing. (https://study.com/academy/lesson/crescendo-in-music-definition-notation-quiz.html)

The symbol is often refered to as a hairpin or a wedge. Italian. (cresc.) 

What i'm interested was the flashback scene of 17 yr old SR drawing the crescendo symbol in the bus. What did she see that sparked her to draw? just as we see the present her feeling her heart beating louder and faster as she looked at WJ. 

I'm entertaining the idea that 17 yr old SR noticed WJ back then. Else i'm reading too much into it LOL

WJ

Still17E13-00362-copy.jpg

It wasnt SR that changed the most but it was her, acting as the catalyst that brought a cascade of changes in WJ (alongside with the chick that grew alot too). In many aspects it's thoroughly welcoming. And perhaps it allows him to be closer to his real self. The self that can be immature, and playful. And its always very swoony to see him running towards SR like a knight. But he balances between saving the damsel and respecting SR to learn to be independent and not be overly reliant. Intuitively he knows when to step back and let her be and step in when she needs him. Just as when he realises shes homeless again, he invited her back into his home again. In a way that the embarassed SR could still raise her head and accept his good will.

Jennifer

Still17E14-00415-copy.jpg

Jennifer so far had the most intriguing mystery and i cant wait to find out what happened to her unborn child, and what turned her into a walking encyclopedia. Was SR's uncle a coincidence or is there a larger story and connection. The scene where SR hugged her. i didnt know i needed the scene until it happened. Because the poor woman needed the hug. Her scene with WJ also had messages to be pondered over and learnt from. I looked forward to their random, impromptu and short garden conversations. I hope to get a clearer idea of the lady in yellow heels next week.

All the good people: 

I've come to realise that theres plenty of good people around WJ that now extends to SR - providing her a warm and nurturing environment. Chan, the awesome nephew and even his sidelicks are nice. There's Jennifer. There's Hee Soo, WJ's classmate and lady boss. There's Hyun. All this makes this drama really feel-good.

Kim Tae Rin

I've refrained from commenting her until we saw a bit more of her. And shes this variable that i'm not certain about. She doesnt seem particularly villainy. And I already feel for her. She still seems to suffer anxiety and hints of lack of confidence in herself. Her mother's an obvious contributor. But i just wonder does she love music enough to do it without having to be top no.1, and not doing it just cause its suppose to run in her genes, or cause of her mum. In some ways SR started violin cause of her mum but their motivation towards music seems to be at opposite end of the spectrum. I wonder if the drama will be able to give TR her arc to grow and learn about herself. The current her seems to be living on borrowed time, she seems to show shes living in a borrowed limelight in the absence of SR from the violin world.

Spoiler

It's interesting the pace of the drama. There has been so many dramas that started with a bang and progress at lightning speed then hits a bump by the middle of it. While this drama took its time, introduce the character, the history, the unfolding of past and the interactions of the present. I enjoy this week's episodes that showed how the otp understand each other more. Their beach conversation showed a deepening friendship and i appreciate all these moments that was warm and meaningful. So i dont quite agree with opinions that its a filler episode(s) or fanservice - those belong more to scenes that are fluffy skinships but empty. excuse my ramblings on this. The only thing i dislike was the cliffhangers trying to force a dramatic - she found out, he found out situation when the writer/pd obviously intends to withold until much later. I knew better to hope but i've also read many were disappointed.

Edit to rave about SHS - shes so spot on with her sometimes nuanced and subtle potrayal of SR. She exhibited the 17 yr old girly youthfulness. Then scenes of the wistful self.  And that scene on the beach. The way her voice slowly subtly changes as she got more emotional. wow wow i was blown away - so natural and her transitions into each scenes were effortless. Shes a gem to watch.

Spoiler

Too bad i couldnt watch her other drama cause of the male lead. I would definitely look forward to her future projects.

Rewatched a few scenes from the past episodes. I wonder if WJ started liking SR because she found something of his and ran to give it back to him. The flashback we saw of her running behind WJ could be their first meeting where he fell for her and started painting her portrait to gift and confess.

Although, everybody thinks that TR is the least shown character in the show, but I think in actuality, it's KHT whose screen presence can be measured in seconds which is sad because he looks so devoted of a friend to SR. I actually feel sad for him that his love/crush towards SR after so many years will lead to nothing but heartbreak. I would like them to be at least friends again at the end of the show.

Hi yeorobun !!

I'm new in this thread ! I started this drama yesterday, after seeing a few video about this. I wasn't that interested, but now wowwww !!! 

Such a loving casts, I never pay attention to Shin Hye Sun but the girl is nailing her role here. She's really interesting. As for Se Jong, I never saw his drama but I just saw some videos about his previous drama, last year I think and yeah I like him as well. I'm not disappointed so far. I'm loving every character in Seo Ri's house. But I'm quite concerned about Chan. Writer-Nim, please don't break his heart. Honestly, I would have loved it if he knew that something is going on with our main couple, before really falling in love with Seo Ri. I don't want him to get hurt :tears:. Also, in terms of best boy, if I had to choose, in my opinion the childhood friend is better, he was funny and he seemed sincere when they were young, so I would have rooted for him if not for the male lead. But since it's already settled, I'm just loving for the main couple. 

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode and I'm sooo waiting for the kissing scene. The way the romance is developping in this drama is perfect for me.

Archived