[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

Love our discussion here so much to wait for our wednesday. 

@40somethingahjummayellow robe maiden will not likely active in the martial art world. ZWJ retired to be with ZM. ZZR still as Emei leader so pretty much more active and she is the strongest in terms of skill. So i take this as success in terms of glorify Emei. I bet nobody dared to challenge Emei as long as she is alive. MJ must be happy inside her grave. She made ZZR another version of her but much more powerful kungfu.

@shihuangdii know about the poison but again why not kill everybody instead of just YL? Hehehe, I know I just pissed of ZWJ and his way of thinking. Actually, I understand your POV, you just sympathize with ZWJ. GJ and ZWJ could be duo dumb&dumber. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding why ZWJ is more lenient toward ZZR, I personally think it's mainly because of guilt and perhaps his gratitude toward all that she has done,  especially durinv their childhood. In all the versions, WJ is always portrayed to be very apologetic toward ZZR. I think In his mind,  he attributed her turning so evil to him spurning her love toward him. 

Love the discussion!

There's a classic quote from the novel where WJ says that toward ZM, he hates her and loves her, toward ZZR, he respects her and fears her. I think that says a lot about his different reaction to who was supposed to be the culprit.

ZM's response to this quote is the best: she'd rather he love and fear her, and respect and hate ZZR :D I just love her wit!

@graceeedwardmom I remember in the older version (might be the 1986 one), ZM also confronted ZWJ about this fact. She also mentioned that if she wanter them dead, why would she sent the ship to the island to pick them up once she arrived in mainland. And ZWJ though she killed YL because he was going to marry YL (they had a promise when he was Aniu) and ZM was jealous because of that. Not sure if this point is brought up in this version, I need to wait for sub version. And then the main reason ZM drugged and abandoned them on the island was, he thought, because she wanted to steal the dragon sabre. 

Also growing up on deserted island with only his parents and XX made him very gullible. XX also believed that it was ZM who did this. With two of his closest/trusted person convinced him this, I cannot really blame him for blaming ZM. I think he is similar to GJ who blindly trusted his da shifu that HYS killed all his teachers. 

Off topic, but out of the trilogy, I love the storyline of HSDS the most, but the character ZWJ is the protagonist I least like. Until this version probably (I have to watch until the end whether my opinion changes). 

1 hour ago, hamaji said:

Also anyone know the context of this scene? What do you think happened to ZM here?

LzL4Om7.gif

If I’m not wrong, I think that’s after ZM released ZWJ after he got caught by her family. ZWJ was wanted by Khan, so releasing him meant her family would be punished. ZM then shoulder all the blame and she was supposed to be executed. 

10 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

@graceeedwardmom I remember in the older version (might be the 1986 one), ZM also confronted ZWJ about this fact. She also mentioned that if she wanter them dead, why would she sent the ship to the island to pick them up once she arrived in mainland. And ZWJ though she killed YL because he was going to marry YL (they had a promise when he was Aniu) and ZM was jealous because of that. Not sure if this point is brought up in this version, I need to wait for sub version. And then the main reason ZM drugged and abandoned them on the island was, he thought, because she wanted to steal the dragon sabre. 

Also growing up on deserted island with only his parents and XX made him very gullible. XX also believed that it was ZM who did this. With two of his closest/trusted person convinced him this, I cannot really blame him for blaming ZM. I think he is similar to GJ who blindly trusted his da shifu that HYS killed all his teachers. 

Off topic, but out of the trilogy, I love the storyline of HSDS the most, but the character ZWJ is the protagonist I least like. Until this version probably (I have to watch until the end whether my opinion changes). 

If I’m not wrong, I think that’s after ZM released ZWJ after he got caught by her family. ZWJ was wanted by Khan, so releasing him meant her family would be punished. ZM then shoulder all the blame and she was supposed to be executed. 

I think this is after the wedding scene. I remember this scene in Gigi Lai & L Ng version 2001. 

14 hours ago, hamaji said:

I love reading all post here :)

Some intermezzo for a minute. ZWJ and ZM moments from HSDS 1978 to 2009

Thank you! Seeing this compilation, I'm even more convinced that Ady An is the best Zhao Min so far for me. 

2 hours ago, Sooyun Ahgase said:

I can't wait for the next episodes. This version shows more details to the main couple's love compared to the older versions. Wednesday needs to come faster! 

Wednesday so far away for the next eps. Can’t get enough of ZM & ZWJ.

21 hours ago, graceeedwardmom said:

I bet nobody dared to challenge Emei as long as she is alive. MJ must be happy inside her grave. She made ZZR another version of her but much more powerful kungfu.

Even if MJ is remotely capable of being happy... I very much doubt it. ;) 

Especially when ZR completely ignored her injunction to not marry ZWJ.

Anyway... all of that is in the realm of the hypothetical. I certainly don't think there's much to rejoice when a person destroys their soul and conscience to make a dead person (whose opinions don't matter much at this point) happy.

Xiao Zhao's gone. Sacrificed herself for her beloved "gong zi" and saved the day. Thus excluding herself from the non-existent race.

I don't really know how I feel about the character. She never registers on my radar much in every version that I remember and see. I know she has her fans but as far as I can tell she's really a side character so it's hard to grieve when she exits. An argument could be made for the fact that she's there purely to help WJ overcome obstacles. Jing Yong may think she's the closest to his ideal but as someone who's living in a post-feminist, 21st century era, XZ feels more like a plot device that doubles as a potential love interest. Except that as a love interest, her cloying subservience can come across as being annoying. She can't possibly hang around WJ for the rest of her life serving him without becoming the wife or a concubine. Would either ZM or ZR want to share? It's ludicrous.

This is why I don't take the harem that seriously. In every version, not just this one, I don't see how WJ with his background and his personality could fall for any of these other girls. He could marry them out of obligation or pity or brotherly love but he wouldn't be in love with any except for ZM. ZM is different because she challenges him on every level and what man doesn't want to be challenged? :P Even though she's head over heels and isn't backwards in coming forward about her feelings, she won't let him rest in his comfort zone. Everything about her from her background to her personality and the way she pushes him to think outside the square must be a breath of fresh air for him. As a girl she's totally unpredictable. Even if he says that she gets on his nerve and pushes all his buttons... it is because she pushes his buttons that his interest is aroused. He's not a guy that lives for safety even if he is a reputed goody goody. He is drawn to danger like moth to a flame. Zhang Wuji doesn't do "safe". That's why he jumps from one thing to the next without fearing the consequences. That's clear even from his childhood, taking his chances wherever he went. This is the boy who thought he was going to die but he went from place to place looking for a cure, risking life and limb. ZM is exactly the kind of girl that would satisfy his wanderlust and you know what... I think he knows it too. To me, he looks at her like he really wants to have babies with her.

Even if JY has his own personal preferences, he is still a great storyteller and demonstrates great insight into character. And this version does such a brilliant job bringing out the nuances in WJ's personality.

Haha... love it that there's a new page everytime I come back to check, keep the love (and non-so-much-love) and picts and posts comin' you guys/gals! :)

Losing track of who said what but in general

1. YES! To the other girls seeming like tame or awkward (cousin?) choices for ZWJ. For me there's just ZM, and ZWJ trying to make up his mind.

2. I do think ZWJ (particularly in the book, but also in most dramas) has been wishy-washy. He is a very loving person to everyone which results in a lot of misunderstanding (e.g., the early episode of him giving puppy eyes to ZZR when she gives him and Yinli food prior to GMD?  That's totally a crush!)  In this drama the directors make it worse by giving ZWJ/ZZR slow-motion romantic rescue moments.

I blame ZZR for many things, but for being confused about whether ZWJ likes her, not at all.

3. Joseph as a dream-boat ZWJ? I'm totally a fangirl! :) Those eyes... that earnest smile... those way-too-cool fight scenes...

[I know, he's half my age! Urg! Really I'm not creepy in real life! Only over way-too-young Yitiantulong heros!]

(Although I saw Tony Leung clips lately and I have to say, he's still the most charming for me. :) )

More another time, but as a pitch, love to also get constructive feedback for my fanfic, so yeah, keep the comments coming! :)

@40somethingahjumma

Totally agree with you, the way ZWJ stare at ZM everytime they alone together just so romantic. It's like his eyes soften and carried away, especially when fascinated ZM listened to XZ parents story. Everytime ZM hitback with words and glare ZWJ will shyly lowered his head. So CUTE ( why they still criticize Joseph i still don't understand )

For everyone here who can make MV when the drama ended i hope someone would make compilation of how ZWJ stare at ZM it will be so cute and romantic....

2 hours ago, Yitian_fan said:

Haha... love it that there's a new page everytime I come back to check, keep the love (and non-so-much-love) and picts and posts comin' you guys/gals! :)

2. I do think ZWJ (particularly in the book, but also in most dramas) has been wishy-washy. He is a very loving person to everyone which results in a lot of misunderstanding (e.g., the early episode of him giving puppy eyes to ZZR when she gives him and Yinli food prior to GMD?  That's totally a crush!)  In this drama the directors make it worse by giving ZWJ/ZZR slow-motion romantic rescue moments.

I blame ZZR for many things, but for being confused about whether ZWJ likes her, not at all.

I don't disagree that in those early moments when they were reunited, he was crushing on her. No doubt he was a bit moony eyed. ;) That's definitely the case. He hadn't seen her for years and she was probably the closest thing to a childhood sweetheart he will ever have. But as soon as ZM came into the picture, things started to change. I think the fact that WJ and ZR didn't spend a lot of time together after GM peak with MJ trying her darndest to get between them probably gradually weakened whatever bond was between them.

I still don't really think that WJ is wishy washy as he is trying to navigate his way the mire of knowing his own mind. ;) People should be allowed to change their minds especially when they grow up and work out what is it that they want.

12 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't disagree that in those early moments when they were reunited, he was crushing on her. No doubt he was a bit moony eyed. ;) That's definitely the case. He hadn't seen her for years and she was probably the closest thing to a childhood sweetheart he will ever have. But as soon as ZM came into the picture, things started to change. I think the fact that WJ and ZR didn't spend a lot of time together after GM peak with MJ trying her darndest to get between them probably gradually weakened whatever bond was between them.

I still don't really think that WJ is wishy washy as he is trying to navigate his way the mire of knowing his own mind. ;) People should be allowed to change their minds especially when they grow up and work out what is it that they want.

Agree. In a typical kdrama frameworkB) ZZR is the first love that is most memorable but doomed to fail, to make way for the *last love* of the bickering, Darcy-Elizabeth kind ^_^ which is ZM.

This version did a good job of having WJ expressing both verbally and through actions that what he feels towards XZ and Yin Li is compassion and brotherly love (even if he was still going to honor his promise to marry YL! Cos he's dumb and all). Also, I have no problem with YL, XZ, and eventually ZZR being separated from WJ by circumstances. ZM fought to be by his side, and was also the most lucky to not have been killed/kidnapped/forced to leave. Love is about timing and not just effort, and ZM has both!

Okay, I know I am so late to the party. Already had in mind to watch this (as soon as it reaches the Ming Cult vs 6 sects arc), but then I got taken away to another drama and that drama took out all my attention until by accident I watch this MV about Yang Xiao and Ji Xiao Fu. ......... I think everybody can guess what had happened to me then .....:lol:

I am literally grow up watching Jin Yong drama, have watched lots of version of the trilogy. And I have never felt that Yang Xiao character is that interesting. For me he is just the powerful side character. No more no less. All I interested in this last trilogy is always about Wuji and Zhao Min relationship.

So when I watched that MV, I just ....:astonished::love:Who is this?? Yang Xiao?? How could that character become like this?

The Yang Xiao in this version is very cool! All his mannerism just exude some kind of charisma. Everytime he shown up in the screen, he always draws my eyes. Such a screen presence. Hope Lin Yushen will play in another costume drama. His Yang Xiao interpretation is a breath of fresh air.

I have read your discussion regarding Wu Ji - Zhao Min in this version, here. I am agree that in this version, their love is more fleshed out. ZZR has her chance but I think she has started to lose that ever since she stabbed Wu Ji in Guang Ming peak (such a good disciple -_-). That scene just showed that she was too restrained by her master up to the point that she could not say "no" even though she knew that the order was wrong. One of the poster here said that ZZR after her master death is like a child in a candy shop. I completely agree with that statement.

2 hours ago, hamaji said:

@shihuangdi thanks for the info :)

Bigger version 

64lwxtbj5gegk4nuauw4tfsc5.jpg

Zhao hanYingzi as Yellow dress lady

iGMIL4S.jpg

Source: weibo

For @graceeedwardmom

Hide contents

Not the one you are looking for but i hope you'll like it

videotogif-2019-04-01-20-35-08.gif

I don't remember he like the above when he with  ZZR. You can tell that he paying attention to ZM alot.

Since I can't do much analysis about the characters or the stories like everyone has been doing here, I'll just post some pics :lol: (uhm, no, not just "some"... I think...)

The three Zhang Wuji s

https://wx2.sinaimg.cn/mw690/0070naZily1fnn1a1qv42j31jk111u0y.jpg

Character Posters - Zhang Wuji Family

Spoiler

6bc07c68ly1g0iqabysflj22qh4431l3.jpg

6bc07c68ly1g0ipwci2lnj21mc15o4qq.jpg

6bc07c68gy1g0lbfker59j22yt1qykjn.jpg

6bc07c68gy1g0lxqph3noj23401r0npn.jpg

6bc07c68ly1g0t38gt2axj20u00k01cv.jpg

6bc07c68gy1g0nmyi5niuj23401r0e85.jpg

6bc07c68ly1g0qxromrakj23401r0x6s.jpg

5fc3981ely1g0f2zqq163j20yi1pcb2a.jpg

Character Posters - Adult Zhang Wuji and Friends

Spoiler

0070naZily1fx0iw5jqjlj33yl1p4x6s.jpg

0070naZily1g06zv5q4r7j315i21snpf.jpg

0070naZily1g06yuc7dtkj315i21s1kz.jpg

006mwaFnly1g10zsrvrzrj322413r7uf.jpg

683b09a3gy1g0vkdq1mgrj21r0340npk.jpg

On set Pics - Zhang Wuji Family

Spoiler

6bc07c68ly1fqr9o25zfxj23402bxb2a.jpg

6bc07c68ly1fqr9ob2t01j20u011iqdd.jpg

6bc07c68ly1fqr9od7zkjj20u20u01e9.jpg

6bc07c68ly1fqr9pncopnj22c02x0qv5.jpg

6bc07c68ly1g0me5po4wlj22c0340kju.jpg

6bc07c68ly1g0uo84uud8j20u011in5b.jpg

On set Pics - Adult Zhang Wuji and Friends

Spoiler

69245c84ly1fs8rmcms6xj238o26enpj.jpg

84520c25ly1fs8k19bsqzj20rs114qv5.jpg

84520c25ly1fs8jzwfp4jj20xc18eb2a.jpg

6963579dly1fs9h85fuyrj22ds1sgqvb.jpg

Off-screen Pics

Spoiler

0070naZily1fnn19y6xk8j31jk111e81.jpg

49434065ly1fs1evr136dj21sg2ds1ky.jpg

8 hours ago, graceeedwardmom said:

@40somethingahjumma

Totally agree with you, the way ZWJ stare at ZM everytime they alone together just so romantic. It's like his eyes soften and carried away, especially when fascinated ZM listened to XZ parents story. Everytime ZM hitback with words and glare ZWJ will shyly lowered his head. So CUTE ( why they still criticize Joseph i still don't understand )

For everyone here who can make MV when the drama ended i hope someone would make compilation of how ZWJ stare at ZM it will be so cute and romantic....

I really like this version in that it's giving us a lot of moments between them. I think maybe this might be the version that has the most? Anyone who has seen all versions, please confirm. But yes I really loved the way he was looking at her during the story. Boy he is so far gone. Also there's a scene on the boat where ZWJ was about to leave to save his godfather but ZM tells him to wait a little longer and he obeys. ZM asks him why he is suddenly listening to her orders and he says he doesn't know. Loving the nuances and details to their scenes. 

46 minutes ago, dramagirlslove said:

I really like this version in that it's giving us a lot of moments between them. I think maybe this might be the version that has the most? Anyone who has seen all versions, please confirm. But yes I really loved the way he was looking at her during the story. Boy he is so far gone. Also there's a scene on the boat where ZWJ was about to leave to save his godfather but ZM tells him to wait a little longer and he obeys. ZM asks him why he is suddenly listening to her orders and he says he doesn't know. Loving the nuances and details to their scenes. 

He listen to her and stay back as ZM told him wait until it dark. I find the way he look at ZM with his eyes is totally different than other girls. When the first time they met after she change her clothes to the girl, you can see that he looking at her different already. 

I have watched almost 6 version of HSDS and this one seem to be a complete details story compare to the other versions. 

Archived