[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 999hearts

Comments, thoughts, speculations, blah blah blah up until ep 6:

• I'm still frustrated at JA's mom, especially after watching the things she said to SH about JH. How can you make someone like her realise that there are so many redeeming qualities a person can have other than their family and social background? In JH's case, although he has unconventional family background, at least he's financially independent, has found success in his field, and manages to live independently without his parents. As far as I can see, he's adulting perfectly fine. If I was a parent, I would happily let my son hang out with friends who can still fend for themselves even without their prestigious social status and background.
  • Regarding the speculation that this is all from 2015, I'm starting to strongly believe this since our main protagonists still use an iPhone model that has a headphone jack (probably iPhone 6 that's released in 2014). I mean, everyone in Kdrama tends to use the latest phone model even if they're dirt poor, right? :D
  • MISS GOLD PURPLE AKA GEUM BORA SSI HAS BEEN SUCH AN MVP FOR THE PAST TWO EPISODES. I've always loved her sass and how straightforward she is when it comes to dodging the pervy boss' bullet. But these past two episodes made me love her character even more. Her prank with JH was brilliant hahahaha (Off topic: the actress reminds me of Sandra Oh on Greys Anatomy)
  • Am I among the 0.0001% who thinks that there's a somewhat disturbingly low amount of background story/flashbacks? I can't pinpoint if it's just what I feel or if I want those flashback scenes. I'm still curious about the dynamics of JA & JH's relationship before he left Korea for the US. And honestly I can't accept the reason why JH likes JA is because she's... Yoon Jin Ah. Kid, please come back when you have better answers :mellow: On a more serious note, JA needs to know exactly why and what her best qualities are to be even more confident.
  • Am I exaggerating or should I really be worried that the duration per episode decreased significantly from about 1hr 15mins++ (ep. 1-4) to 1hr 5mins (ep. 6)???

I am crossing my fingers so hard for this drama!

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, "acting expensively" is a Korean term meaning that a person is being very hard to get or to cooperate, meaning that their time and effort must be so expensive that it's not worth the other person doing whatever. So, by JH saying "You're acting very expensively", it's about the same as saying "You're being very stingy" in English, I guess.

Maybe it is also similar to saying "You're being high maintenance."

Episode 6 rating.

I know ratings aren't everything: sometimes, I'm enjoying a drama a lot (and I think it's really good) but it hasn't quite good ratings but...I'm so happy for 'Pretty Noona...'. I wish it'll increase again in future episodes.

Wow the rating is really good for a cable drama :) 

I think the drama has its strength in offering just a “daily”, day to day life of a couple, makes it easy to watch. So far I really like the first 4 episodes, because there is some tension and chemistry built up somehow. It’s always good to watch how two person starting to like each other, he is being nervous whether to hold her hand or not.. and his expression and smiles!! 

The last two episodes are sweet episodes.. because they are already a couple. Waiting for Friday now :D 

2 hours ago, dulcinea1 said:

Episode 6 rating.

I know ratings aren't everything: sometimes, I'm enjoying a drama a lot (and I think it's really good) but it hasn't quite good ratings but...I'm so happy for 'Pretty Noona...'. I wish it'll increase again in future episodes.

Not only them, but I am really really happy here that they can be proud of their hardwork. I remembered how Hae In told the press that he did not focus on the ratings, instead, he wanted that this drama to be a drama that would last forever in the audiences' memory. And yeah, this drama would be a certain drama for sure! Happy for the ratings. As the conflict will rise next week, I hope the ratings will also increase again. I am happy that this drama is shown at JTBC, not at the Big 3 Channels as the actors and actresses also the crews will be more focused and stressed on the ratings rather than anything.

34 minutes ago, mundaliv said:

Wow the rating is really good for a cable drama :) 

I think the drama has its strength in offering just a “daily”, day to day life of a couple, makes it easy to watch. So far I really like the first 4 episodes, because there is some tension and chemistry built up somehow. It’s always good to watch how two person starting to like each other, he is being nervous whether to hold her hand or not.. and his expression and smiles!! 

The last two episodes are sweet episodes.. because they are already a couple. Waiting for Friday now :D 

Not only good, but I think it is very good for a cable drama. Even dramas currently shown at the Big 3 Channels, most of them got very low ratings. Agree with youuu :D they show the daily lives of an ordinary woman and man, not a chaebol. Even Gyu Min who is described as rich and has a great family background, it is not exaggerated like owning the biggest company in Seoul or something like that, only it showed that he rode BMW lol.

Quote from stroppyse's post

"Playing and kissing in the snow scene. There is no dialogue in this scene, but wanted to point out that while the song is still "Stand By Your Man", the artist has changed. The version in this clip sounds like Tammy Wynette. Definitely not Carla Bruni as in previous episodes and scenes. Plus, the shots are beautiful, the couple is beautiful, and they're having so much fun."

@stroppyse

Yeah these shots are so beautiful.  I loved all the visual effects of all the snow scenes including the drive.  And our twosome they look so into each other!!  The development of their relationship has been portrayed so naturally and so beautifully that all of us want a JH in our lives right now :wink::):) 

Thank you so much stroppyse for taking the trouble to recap all this for us.... While I will of course watch Ep 6 numerous times (without subs, with v1 of subs, with v2 of subs etc. ;)) but at least now I'll know right off the bat exactly whats being said :)

I think with this drama, Jung Hae In has secured himself to be a reliable male lead, someone who can pull in the high ratings. I've been watching so many "just-okay" drama that I know it's difficult to have a lead who can pull in the audience from ep 1 to the last ep. 

He has been making excellent drama choices, Goblin to WYWS to Prison Playbook and now this, hopefully the ratings will be exceptional moving forward, fingers crossed for the plot. No to a weak plot! No no no. 

28 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

No, not really. Being high maintenance means that the woman requires a lot from the man, compliments, attention, gifts, nights outs, etc., if the woman is considered high maintenance. In this drama actually, GM would be considered the high maintenance partner prior to the breakup with JA since it seems that he required more from JA, including being catered to.

"You're being expensive" connotes something more temporary, and is a way of saying that someone is reluctant to do something that the speaker thinks should be reasonable, but the other person isn't doing.

Hope this makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense. Hmm, let me see...maybe it's similar to the phrase "Stop being so difficult?" I need to watch some more US TV shows so I can have a better readily available inventory of phrases to choose from.

6 hours ago, 999hearts said:

Comments, thoughts, speculations, blah blah blah up until ep 6:

• MISS GOLD PURPLE AKA GEUM BORA SSI HAS BEEN SUCH AN MVP FOR THE PAST TWO EPISODES. I've always loved her sass and how straightforward she is when it comes to dodging the pervy boss' bullet. But these past two episodes made me love her character even more. Her prank with JH was brilliant hahahaha (Off topic: the actress reminds me of Sandra Oh on Greys Anatomy)

• Am I among the 0.0001% who thinks that there's a somewhat disturbingly low amount of background story/flashbacks? I can't pinpoint if it's just what I feel or if I want those flashback scenes. I'm still curious about the dynamics of JA & JH's relationship before he left Korea for the US. And honestly I can't accept the reason why JH likes JA is because she's... Yoon Jin Ah. Kid, please come back when you have better answers :mellow: On a more serious note, JA needs to know exactly why and what her best qualities are to be even more confident.

Yes OMG ! You said what I wanted to say ! 

Bora is also straightforward to the point of being rude with the other females, she gives me a 'lone wolf' vibe. 
100% agreed with the comparison with Sandra Oh. 

About the lack of background, to be honest, I'm having a bit of trouble with how JH fell for JA.

Some background would really help me with that. 
Recalling, Secret Love Affair, I had the same problem there too. 

About her best qualities,
I understand the answer "Because she's YJA", because I too would have answered / have preferred an answer like that.
When I like a person, I like everything about the person because it's a part of that person. So, that answer would have reinforced belief in me, that even if I change, the other person will still like me and that the person likes me as a whole, and not parts of me. (Hope I was coherent).

A random musing 
I think this is the first time I've even heard smoking being mentioned by one of the leads, much less seen him/her with any cigarettes or stub out one. 
Speaks about how realistic this drama is, without making a big deal out of his smoking. 

@ stroppyse and V:

I would say both your versions aren't too far off.  And MANY THANKS for all the translation and live recap efforts to make scenes more coherent to us.

It is being 'stingy' or reserved (vs generous in reciprocity) with her emotional utterances (just like one can over-do the effusive but quite meaningless " I LOVE you" for a mere little favour  and "I LOVE it!  " I LOVE this" overkill  ... to just about everyone,  everything and anything in NAmerica).

One can be 'emotionally high maintenance'  ...  when a lot of input is needed to coax certain emotions in return. Or highly needy and clingey.

Though honestly for me - whether or not the leads utter " I Love You sarang hae" or not so does NOT matter to me. Esp more so here, in this drama.

You can so tell he's head over heels in love with her for quite a while since Ep 1.

And she  ... later than him ... but falling, falling and falling too for this adorable teasing charmer who just worships everything about her. 

What I would also like - as mentioned above by SennaR and 999hearts ... is "more background, more history" rather than a reciprocal "na du sarang-hae" from JA.

p/s: is anyone stuck on these 3 songs =  the Save You Last Dance, Stand By Your Man, and 2NE1? They've been ad nauseum in my car ... in my office ... at home on my laptop ... you name it. :lol::tongue::wub:

25 minutes ago, jus-ash said:

@ stroppyse and V:

I would say both your versions aren't too far off.  And MANY THANKS for all the translation and live recap efforts to make scenes more coherent to us.

It is being 'stingy' or reserved (vs generous in reciprocity) with her emotional utterances (just like one can over-do the effusive but quite meaningless " I LOVE you" for a mere little favour  and "I LOVE it!  " I LOVE this" overkill  ... to just about everyone,  everything and anything in NAmerica).

One can be 'emotionally high maintenance'  ...  when a lot of input is needed to coax certain emotions in return. Or highly needy and clingey.

Though honestly for me - whether or not the leads utter " I Love You sarang hae" or not so does NOT matter to me. Esp more so here, in this drama.

You can so tell he's head over heels in love with her for quite a while since Ep 1.

And she  ... later than him ... but falling, falling and falling too for this adorable teasing charmer who just worships everything about her. 

What I would also like - as mentioned above by SennaR and 999hearts ... is "more background, more history" rather than a reciprocal "na du sarang-hae" from JA.

p/s: is anyone stuck on these 3 songs =  the Save You Last Dance, Stand By Your Man, and 2NE1? They've been ad nauseum in my car ... in my office ... at home on my laptop ... you name it. :lol::tongue::wub:

The same goes with me. I keep playing save the last dance for me. Sadly it was not shown much in ep 5 or it was not even shown at all I kinda forgot. 

I think both Son Ye Jin and Jung Hae In have done a remarkable job for kissing scenes. Imaging how many kisses in ep 5 and 6 and more to come. The leads probably kissed 3 times more behind the scenes before the director ok. Their lips were probably numbed after these scenes. Kiss scenes are tough. Did you remember SYJ movie a moment to remember? Her first kiss with JWS took 48 hours before the director said ok. I am wondering how these two managed to have so many kisses in Pretty Noona. Bless them :)

Can someone tell me where I can watch the opening credit of this drama? I can not find it in youtube and when I googled it, I still could not find it. 

Btw, kinda sad that while we are crazy with this drama, some people on one site bashed this drama and even called it as "bloody boring" and did not even have any plot to tell. I do not even find it boring and while I am quite agree with the comment of the plot, but what I know is that this drama's main point is to tell the stages of falling in love and how to maintain it because of the social issues about the relationship. And I looked at the positive comments from the Knetizens and Cnetizens about this drama. 

1 hour ago, sunshinefate said:

Can someone tell me where I can watch the opening credit of this drama? I can not find it in youtube and when I googled it, I still could not find it. 

Btw, kinda sad that while we are crazy with this drama, some people on one site bashed this drama and even called it as "bloody boring" and did not even have any plot to tell. I do not even find it boring and while I am quite agree with the comment of the plot, but what I know is that this drama's main point is to tell the stages of falling in love and how to maintain it because of the social issues about the relationship. And I looked at the positive comments from the Knetizens and Cnetizens about this drama. 

Maybe because they never fall in love:D

What doesn't make senses for them full of senses for us:lol:

Talk about kiss, hope we see less for now on, the conversation in the kitchen after they have meal in SK aprtmnt is more moved. 

The second best is when he delibrately sneak to her room just to hold her.the secretly action always speed up our adrenalin right?:lol:

And i have slight idea there is another nona dongsaeng love in the office,seem the Chairman and secretary have something special.

I think one difference of this drama with others is actually the OST, songs used are english lyrics songs. Give different atmosphere to the overall setup of the falling in love stages. I love kpop songs normally used as OST in kdramas, kinda miss it in pretty noona. But hearing Save the last dance really brings different feelings in watching it. I’ve not watched US TV series for ages now, perhaps this brings back memories also :D Btw, whose version is this song? 

Concerning JH falling in love with JA, actually shown in episode 6. Well, it’s the beginning when JH saw JA in the street. He saw her first as one attractive woman, and realized it‘s JA. I guess this is already background of him starting to have interest more to the noona he knew. While I have theory that men usually love women just like that. No need of specific reasons, no need logical reasons, it‘s just the woman that he is in love with. 

Somehow I remember Strong Woman Do Bong Soon.. aired last year, during this time of the year. The drama can reached rating until 9% in jtbc. It was first leading role also for PHS. The casts were given gifts in form of holiday trip to Bali :) Hopefully Pretty Noona can reach 9% rating as well, as jtbc drama. And as JHI‘s first drama as leading role :D If they can receive also trip as gifts, we will have more news even after the drama is finished :wink: I‘m sure after this JHI popularity is going up :D 

Archived