[Drama 2018] Something In The Rain / Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food, 밥 잘 사주는 예쁜 누나

jaiwook_08

On a technical note can someone try taking a selfie showing shoulders. And a teddy bear. To see if it is possible for their arm to do it. And yet not show it is a selfie. For a 2 person photo like that above.

Or with a selfie stick.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Watching episode 5, JA's mom has really gotten on my nerves. I had been making allowances for her character despite her rather shallow values, but this episode has done it for me in terms of understanding where she's coming.

There are two scenarios which could give her leeway and flesh her out as a character which I wish they would do with these overly controlling mothers, etc.

One is that she has an anxiety disorder that's gone untreated--I have anxiety and it sucks for you and everyone around you when it's not treated. I'm not one to totally blame mental illness on something, but I'd give her leeway if she discovered it and then attempted to get it treated and worked on it as part of her character arc.

The other option is to find some dirt on her husband or her past that made her feel trapped thus has to be involved in everyone else's business. For example, she was at the top of her class in high school and college, she had a successful career and then got married and her husband decided unilaterally that she had to stay home. I would at least feel some pang of sympathy and the character would have depth. It also would give her a place to go beyond being a mysogynistic mother.

Something like that, you know. I really dislike these overly toxic women without an impetus to do so. Since the rest of the writing and directing is so good, I wish she would get some roundness to her character. I don't mind evil characters, but I do mind evil women in particular that are toxic just be toxic and make trouble. I want them to have a reason to be so.

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, @triplem is right. So far, this episode can be watched without subs and understood just fine. :)

Heeee.. i agree... oh i mean @triplem is always right:grimace:

nObHmvI.jpg

:tongue: This part he cant hold it any longer hahaaaa:

1j0kSR2.jpg

cuLdq8I.jpg

Spoiler

wL1tiYS.jpg

Ok chill happy waiting all ..erhm... for the subs.. ops!

Tag @Jusyed psst me juz fying past :)

Ugh that stupid Gyu Min is creepy AF. I would want Joon Hee to kill him then.. About what I said in previous post, I'm not saying Joon Hee should not get mad like that, though. If I was Joon Hee, I would give that guy hundred of beatings.. It just Joon Hee's eyes looks a bit scary :sweatingbullets: My fault for saying him looks like a possessive boyfriend, sorry.

I read everyone's thoughts about Jin Ah's mom, wow I hate her.. How can a mother do things like that to her children? She looks like want to sell her children for money. That is disgusting. Like @Kim Yunmi said, Jin Ah's mom need to have a reason to do that. She want her husband to have high position is really a stupid thing. Can't you just be grateful that you still have a house to live and foods to eat and clothes to wear on everyday...?

About the upcoming conflicts, don't forget the years gap... It's still in 2015. I doubt they will stay together when the conflict comes. Now, we are only at episode 5 and we already can see the conflict is coming... Do you think this drama will become like Fated To Love You where the OTP met again and fall in love all the way after years? And who will be the one that go away for years? Joon Hee? Well, since he has gone to US before, I'm not surprised if he goes again...

This drama has made me re-surface after a long time and post :) (i.e. I haven't posted in a while although I do visit Soompi very often and read comments :) :))

This drama is making me re-visit a lot of things I haven't been doing in a while :wink:

• Watch the drama without subs (while silently tearing my hair out - as I would love to know what they are saying)
  • Posting in Soompi after a long time
  • Watching the old episodes again and again - almost as if I have no other choice - I cannot seem to help myself
  • Excitedly re-watching when the subs come out 
  • Re-watching again when a better version of the subs come out
  • Hating Netflix (it is Netflix that is causing the angst from what I read here)
  • Waiting impatiently for the weekend to arrive (for yet another reason :)

OK I won't go on.... Just loving the drama so far and reading all the comments here :)  

Oh and just adore the zillion expressions of JH :)  He has such an expressive face and convey so much without saying anything - especially the eyes :)

I rewatched all 4 subbed episodes again — thank you all here who contributed and for keeping this forum the hub for all things translations. The subbed eps definitely filled in major gaps from my previous non-subbed marathon :) Thank you again! @stroppyse I’ve been a regular fan of your translated posts.. thank you!!

Something in the Rain is an instant classic, for me, and I venture to guess for most of you here. It’s beautifully executed — all the way around. I’m signing up for of all the highs and lows of this show. I’m ready for a good cry - or so I think.

** The stuff I wrote after this paragraph is a mood killer - so stop reading if you just want to enjoy all of episode 5 (ahh, all the kisses - who’s counting anyway :) , and the very well done “bed scenes”**

I can’t help but think - without diminishing the OTPs obvious devotion, love, attraction towards each other - that this is a rebound relationship for JA.. and maybe even JH (?) as his story is not yet fleshed out. If JA was my close girlfriend and she confided in me, I’d probably tell her to wait awhile. (I’m not sure that this is the same message that KS is giving her.) There is the tendency to be ultra-vulnerable when things are unsettled with a recent breakup/ previous relationship (which in this case is clearly emotionally draining for JA  and by extension may also become emotionally draining for JH). 

Also, KS and JH seem to not have all that much confidence in JA in how she navigates her life. I can’t blame them of course with all that’s happened with GM — and maybe that’s how they show they care (?)  At some point though , I think JA will “grow up” and things will shift and change. Will she then become a “konjac” to JH? Because then she won’t need rescuing?? (Providing that I understood “konjac” correctly, of course).  I’m hoping that JH is right - that they’ll be fine because they will deal with them together.

32 minutes ago, silvermine said:

This drama has made me re-surface after a long time and post :) (i.e. I haven't posted in a while although I do visit Soompi very often and read comments :) :))

This drama is making me re-visit a lot of things I haven't been doing in a while :wink:

• Watch the drama without subs (while silently tearing my hair out - as I would love to know what they are saying)
  • Posting in Soompi after a long time
  • Watching the old episodes again and again - almost as if I have no other choice - I cannot seem to help myself
  • Excitedly re-watching when the subs come out 
  • Re-watching again when a better version of the subs come out
  • Hating Netflix (it is Netflix that is causing the angst from what I read here)
  • Waiting impatiently for the weekend to arrive (for yet another reason :)

OK I won't go on.... Just loving the drama so far and reading all the comments here :)  

Oh and just adore the zillion expressions of JH :)  He has such an expressive face and convey so much without saying anything - especially the eyes :)

@silvermine you wrote exactly like my mine. All that you have written are all happen to me...and I will add one more to the list :

* For the rest of the drama that I am following, I somehow neglect them for a while...will catch up later..lol. 

@supergal99 as usual I love all the gif that you pasted.

@stroppyse I especially thanks to you and glad for all your fast YouTube and translation. Really appreciate that. 

Looking forward to the airing tonite...:blush:

thank you chingu for all the translating :D I appreciate the effort ^^

giphy.gif

Watching episode 5, JA's mom has really gotten on my nerves. I had been making allowances for her character despite her rather shallow values, but this episode has done it for me in terms of understanding where she's coming. She's actually opposed to SH being friends with JH because she thinks JH is a loser who only managed to go to an Arts university to study drawing rather than doing something better. The mother tells SH to not hang out with JH, that while she can't tell him to completely ditch him, that SH should hang out with friends who can be of help to his future from now on instead of JH. Ugh. If JH isn't even good enough to be a friend to her son, I can't even imagine what a fit she's going to pitch about JH being her son-in-law. The mother really is so shallow and materialistic and graspy and unhappy. I do not like her.

I think it is really how the mother sees life? How she values herself and others around here. I mean her husband is a Professor and she lives in a nice house and all that.

It was rather obvious that to her image is very important. - the fact that she wants a good enough son-in-law where she can bragged about. She wants her son to do well. Not that it is a wrong thing. But I feel that that pressure that she places is rather unwanted. Like yu said, she is rather materialistic.

She will most definitely be an obstacle to the two of them.

I thought JH looked scary as well. But seriously, he's just seen that his girlfriend's ex-bf has semi-nude pictures of his girlfriend on his laptop that he had been looking at. Oh, and this was after the huge flower basket with his declaration of love, and a card attached which had an intimate photo of the two of them.

This is also the same ex-bf who you suspect has assaulted your gf while she was alone given the state of JA and the store when he found her, and has been harassing her all along. I think it would be stranger for him not to get into a rage.

Btw, I thought it was smart of him to destroy the laptop to the harddisk level so that the pictures can't ever be retrieved again. Though, JH kicking GM was startling.

Anyway, as has been remarked on before, JH does have a temper. I'm not sure whether they're going to depict it as an actual anger management issue or not. Though, it doesn't seem to manifest itself with respect to anything other than getting mad on JA's behalf, so it doesn't seem to be a major issue for JH.

@ELlovelyz I agree with @stroppyse here.

I realise that JH is quite hot tempered or quick tempered. He gets angry rather quickly and sometimes behaves like a child who is having tantrum.

I don't particularly think his anger was out of control at that moment - that particular scene. If anything I think he held himself back a little, because he didnt want to give away that you know he has some relationship with JA.

I dont think he has anger issues but I admit that he gets anger easily at least when it comes to certain matters mainly pertaining to JA and that ex of hers.

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

In the episode 4, I was already getting more and more annoyed by her behavior, especially towards her husband. She complained about his lack of ambition and he had not worked hard enough. The woman wanted him to have a better position. Honestly, this woman stayed at home and never worked. She should be happy that her husband provided her a roof over her head and their children were able to study. 

It would be interesting if the husband left his wife at some point... in order to make her realize that she has no right to complain. I haven't watched the episode 5 RAW yet, but I sense that the relationship between JH-JA could lead to a inner conflict among JA's family... the father supporting her, while the brother and the mother are together in this. 

@stroppyse@ELlovelyz I was surprised to read about JH's anger issues. To me, I understand his reactions, but no one is pointing out the behaviour of JA's brother. He was much more brutal in my opinion. Yet, to me the real focus should be on LKM and not JH and SH. LKM has become more and more dangerous... yes dangerous! With these pictures on the laptop, he could have ruined JA's reputation (cyber-harrassment) which is much more difficult to sue. Not only he has become a stalker but he tried to rape JA as well. The bouquet was a sign that LKM would not respect JA and he acted as her boyfriend.  I can understand JH's frustration because he warned JA in the episode 4 that LKM would not leave her alone. She didn't listen... she should have reported him to the police. JH stopped SH from reporting it to the police as he wanted to respect JA's wish but LKM will turn this against them!! The mother will blame JA and even JH for making SH acting like that. I can imagine that LKM would try to use this in order to blackmail JA to go back to him. 

Indeed, the mother is rather demanding for someone who doesnt do anything. At least anything to help bring in money.

Where they live and the size of the house and all that shows that they are doing a rather good life. Yet she demands a lot of not just her husband but also her children as well. I am annoyed at her too.

You are right, LKM is really becoming a seriously dangerous character. The craziest thing is that JA has told him on multiple times to back off and that they were over. This just gives him allowance to do something because he knows he gets on her nerves.

You are right, if only JA reported it that it would be easier to deal with.

Even with this fight between JH/SH and LKM I dont think he will stop. If anything this may spur him to do even more horrible things.

Especially since the mother likes LKM, which is just creepy as well.

4 hours ago, luvhollandlop said:

In ep 5, GM has upped the level of creepiness. In the flowers he sent to JA’s office, he placed a card with a photo of JA and him, clearly taken after they made out ( could see that both were not wearing anything although shot was only from shoulder up).

This is harassment. Showing her colleagues their private photos especially after she made it very clear they r no longer a couple... eeeeeeeeewwwwww... he was trying to scare her and intimidate her. To me it was a threat; like saying to her “if u break up with me, ignore me, I will tell the world about you, everything about you.” 

oh gosh, thanks for sharing the information, this just increase the creepiness by like 100x. Not that it wasnt creepy before but it got creepier now.

If anything, I can completely understand JH's anger. Even if JA was not my girlfriend just a friend and I saw this - I would totally have flipped out as well.

First time commenting here.. I will also start watching the drama :rolleyes:

I was thinking why in this drama the scenes are dim and I was thinking of a similar drama with the same type of cinematography and I remembered Secret Love Affair drama which coincidently its about a much younger pianist having love affair with his married teacher who is 20 years older than him... So I checked the director and writer of  secret love affair and in fact both are writer and director of this drama and also drama "Heard it through grapevine". Interestingly the cinematography in all three is the same. I loved the other two dramas and no wonder this one is also a hit with so many fans. 

sorry if this was already discussed before. 

2 hours ago, ELlovelyz said:

Ugh that stupid Gyu Min is creepy AF. I would want Joon Hee to kill him then.. About what I said in previous post, I'm not saying Joon Hee should not get mad like that, though. If I was Joon Hee, I would give that guy hundred of beatings.. It just Joon Hee's eyes looks a bit scary :sweatingbullets: My fault for saying him looks like a possessive boyfriend, sorry.

I read everyone's thoughts about Jin Ah's mom, wow I hate her.. How can a mother do things like that to her children? She looks like want to sell her children for money. That is disgusting. Like @Kim Yunmi said, Jin Ah's mom need to have a reason to do that. She want her husband to have high position is really a stupid thing. Can't you just be grateful that you still have a house to live and foods to eat and clothes to wear on everyday...?

About the upcoming conflicts, don't forget the years gap... It's still in 2015. I doubt they will stay together when the conflict comes. Now, we are only at episode 5 and we already can see the conflict is coming... Do you think this drama will become like Fated To Love You where the OTP met again and fall in love all the way after years? And who will be the one that go away for years? Joon Hee? Well, since he has gone to US before, I'm not surprised if he goes again...

Years gap? Did it show that it was still in 2015? I did not notice that. Could you tell me which episode that showed that it was still in 2015? Oh, I quite hate the plot that has time jump :( why do they have to endure the pain of heart break, especially for Jin Ah. I hope that even during the time jump, they are still keeping in touch. 

@sunshinefate Someone pointed out the year before. It shown in episode 2. When Jin Ah was replying Joon Hee's message, the date appeared to be on 25th January, 2015.

@Oww TooCute That is possible too. But if Jin Ah leave to go travel with her dad, it's probably not too far to make Joon Hee and her separated for years. How about her mother and brother, then? She can't just leave them like that, right? They're family, after all. And with Joon Hee's personality, he definitely will go to find Jin Ah. He's not someone who will sit quietly in his place.

@ELlovelyzperhaps her dad helps her to leave n go somewhere hahahaa i kinda like her dad as seems he is the only one understand n support JA, her mother is really unbelievable.. put reputation n fame over her daughter's happiness :huh:

@lolly84 hey its a good thinking too hahaha.. interesting plot.. her dad hide JA n her baby until JH find out at 2018 hahahaa .. oh our imaginations going wild :D

@Oww TooCute Yes I like Jin Ah's dad too.. It seems when Joon Hee and Jin Ah's relationship revealed, the dad will be on their side since he will accept anyone to be his son-in-law. I don't know what to do with Jin Ah's mom, I hope she still has a sense about her daughter.

Joon Hee find out about Jin Ah and her baby is nice too. I can imagine it will be a heartwarming scene :wub: @lolly84 

I forgot to mention this after watching Episode 4, but the scene where JA is handling the store owner who wanted to sue the head office was really eye opening for me.

It was amazing how she handled him. She came across as someone extremely cunning ; I do not think she was sincere about quitting the job, or helping him with the lawsuit. The way she acted with him made me think of her in a completely different light. She knew exactly what to say to appease him and get him over to her side. 

That scene has made me think she's not someone to underestimate, and she's not the pushover she may appear to be.

1 hour ago, ELlovelyz said:

@Oww TooCute Yes I like Jin Ah's dad too.. It seems when Joon Hee and Jin Ah's relationship revealed, the dad will be on their side since he will accept anyone to be his son-in-law. I don't know what to do with Jin Ah's mom, I hope she still has a sense about her daughter.

Joon Hee find out about Jin Ah and her baby is nice too. I can imagine it will be a heartwarming scene :wub: @lolly84 

I never like that type of plot all I can think is you kept a child from a fakther that would love their child. Realistically think about it Joon Hee is a loving person. How hurtful would it be for this type of man to miss his child being born his child's first steps all of his child's first would be taken from him. Nope I do not like that type of plot and I hope they won't use it for dramatic effect. I would love for them to establish a family by the end of the show that would definitely include children but not in that way.

Archived