[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

4 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Here are some links to Meteor Garden 2018 discussions in Reddit. They bring up some of the same issues we have discussed here, but man those Reddit users are much more blunt with their opinions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/97pp34/meteor_garden_dont_the_actors_know_how_to_kiss/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/8zv8jq/meteor_garden_and_the_evolution_of_hana_yori_dango/

FYI, according to Reddit forum, Dylan Wang has just been cast as Yang Guo in upcoming new adaptation of Return of the Condor Heroes. Which is the lead role, I guess? It will be interesting to see how he does in historical fantasy drama. 

So happy for Dylan!!! Been waiting to hear on what is up next for him. I wish him all the best!

Meanwhile, I will miss Meteor Garden! Tomorrow (or today rather | timezone diffs) is the day! Must rewatch from the beginning to keep me preoccupied. LOL

And I agree with all the comments RE: SY's kisses. :wacko:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rocky689 said:

Yikes, another series that's been remade to oblivion. Any idea who the female lead is? She got big shoes to fill and if that poor girl does not look like a fairy goddess, the c-netz will rip her apart like poor Michelle Chen. I'm having a hard time picturing Dylan in a fantasy role, but I'm really looking forward to it, he has the bone structure and the kind of facial features that works well in those types of roles.

omg I thought Michelle Chen is cute! I just looked online and saw all the horrible reviews written about her based on her looks. wowzz crazy! 

Can't wait to see Dylan Wang in something different though. I hope my eyes can transform him into something other than DMS! 

11 minutes ago, maisquared said:

omg I thought Michelle Chen is cute! I just looked online and saw all the horrible reviews written about her based on her looks. wowzz crazy! 

Can't wait to see Dylan Wang in something different though. I hope my eyes can transform him into something other than DMS! 

Yes, that poor girl will probably never take another wuxia or xianxia role again after all she had to deal with. 

I really do hope Dylan has a bright future and is able to prove himself with a variety of roles, he has so much potential. Hoping he is not only known for being DMS, I kind of feel like that's what happened to Jerry Yan. Even though Jerry had other projects, none of them were really memorable. 

Yang Guo and DS have the same similarity about the childish part, well in Yang Guo version should be more adult though

I'm still don't get it why they always remake Return of Condor Heroes, I'm sorry if I'm not a fan of this. I prefer story of Legend of Condor Heroes, about Yang Guo parent. I prefer they remake The Grand Canal 1987. Is there any remake of this?

40 minutes ago, rocky689 said:

Even though Jerry had other projects, none of them were really memorable. 

Agree with this, I watch his other drama because I like him so much in MG2001 but none of them captured my heart.

I hope he could be like Lee Min Ho who get a flame after BOF, the drama that following it is also great, even I like him in Faith rather than in BOF :D

4 hours ago, feliset said:

hahaha thanks for the laugh! That reddit thread about the kissing are my thoughts exactly. "Don't the actors know how to kiss properly? Or do they have to kiss like a kid pressing two Barbies face on face while making kissing sounds and saying "Now kiss"?" Lollll!!!!

I don't need make out sessions or anything, I agree that would be weirdly out of character for this series. But I'm just so tired of the kisses where SC literally stands still with her lips shut while DS advances in. It's so awkward. Ep 33 and the tie pull kiss were the only acceptable ones where she at least moved into the kiss a tiny bit.  @myinnerbattlesI hope you're right that there's more to be shown with that scene. At least I think the meteor room kiss looks ok from what I've seen... :lol:

I agree that the kissing is really awkward. And, like you, I was expecting progression.

I just finished watching eps 47 and 48 and Urgh! The disappointment. Especially with the meteor room kiss! Watch with low expectations! 

I’m also not convinced Ximen and Xiaoyou are great at kissing either (although I admit their kissing body language is better. She doesn’t freeze up like SY). I think Ximen is a good kisser, but in the kiss under the cheesy big heart you can see that Xiaoyou is part of the SY school of pursed-lip-kissing because at some point Ximen opens his lips, she doesn’t open hers and it leaves him just snogging away at the bit under her nose. 

But I might be a bit biased because I don’t get Ximen and Xiaoyou. I get Ximen, he’s really together and mature and Caesar Wu is pretty hot. But Xiaoyou is just so needy and pathetically grateful that he even gives her the time of day.  I don’t see why that would be interesting to Ximen (or anyone). Also, her cutesy voice is grating. But I know that a lot of Chinese people like that cutesy thing in girls. I have cousins who talk like that and it’s so annoying. Firstly you feel like you’re talking to a child, and secondly by default you’re the manlier one for having a normal voice, haha. 

As an aside, I hate that every time DMS invites SC to something/tells her to come with him she’s like ‘FOR WHAT???‘ with a look of terror. He’s not some madman who wants to assault you, there’s no need to look at him like that!

4 hours ago, feliset said:

hahaha thanks for the laugh! That reddit thread about the kissing are my thoughts exactly. "Don't the actors know how to kiss properly? Or do they have to kiss like a kid pressing two Barbies face on face while making kissing sounds and saying "Now kiss"?" Lollll!!!!

I don't need make out sessions or anything, I agree that would be weirdly out of character for this series. But I'm just so tired of the kisses where SC literally stands still with her lips shut while DS advances in. It's so awkward. Ep 33 and the tie pull kiss were the only acceptable ones where she at least moved into the kiss a tiny bit.  @myinnerbattlesI hope you're right that there's more to be shown with that scene. At least I think the meteor room kiss looks ok from what I've seen... :lol:

I just rewatched the ep 4 forced kiss because someone mentioned it on reddit. Oof my heart was racing even though I've seen it a few times already. It's weird to revisit these older eps now that we've seen how far they've come. I can't wait to rewatch from the beginning.

@feliset lol the forced kiss was so much more passionate! But yes it’s a little weird to be re-watching the earlier versions after seeing everything that has happened after and knowing what is coming next. But I still love it! I actually haven’t seen any of this week’s episodes. Trying to wait for the subbed versions on NF. 

guys anyone here have that bts pic wherein Shancai is all dressed up in a black dress and she’s sitting while crying?  

I need it badly. its that footage thas has not shown up yet. I’ve seen it before but was not able to capture it, now I’m having a hard time finding it 

Watched the raws today and

Spoiler

they took away amnesia to give us this richard simmons? Suddenly SC forgot everything she said about fighting for their love and apparently we needed all those flashbacks for her to remember? 

Give me back amnesia plot and get rid of this! Or better, give ME amnesia! What did I just watch T_T

sorry rant over. Just holding on till the wedding :|

I read this in drama and suddenly remember that this is happen in MG2001 but not in 2018 :(

This is happen when a thief bragging to SC house and DS come in sleepware

hyd_v27_142.jpg?token=a915f872bccce8846c

hyd_v27_143.jpg?token=c6031614793a1fda78

To bad Dylan doesn't have a chance to say this line. I can only imagining it

Spoiler
17 hours ago, Tabatha Bernier said:

Me too! Has anyone else noticed in BTS footage all the female leads are SO uncomfortable and shy and run away? I’ve watched over 30 kdramas and watching the episodes everyone seems SO confident and it executed perfect then I get curious do a YouTube search for BTS and the girls are always so awkward. I watched BTS footage of W-Two Worlds and and the main lead literally ran out of the door after a kiss scene because she was so embarrassed and I watched it in the episode and you would have had NO IDEA she was feeling that way. They are really good actors it’s crazy. 

I also feel like that, they are young and cheerful. As rookie artists they all succeed in playing each character well, this is a drama that is quite difficult because of the up and down flow. It's the first time I've seen C-drama is ongoing, so many video teaser and BTS to pass the time waiting for the next episode. It's not like following k-dramas are ongoing that make frustrating because very little teaser and BTS

The video of DMZ dancing like she owns it is hilarious. The actress is also pretty loud in real life and isn't afraid to do silly things in the name of entertainment. I am just not sure how that fits into the narrative - was she doing that to irritate the mother? 

Like the majority of you, I'm irked by the statue kisses. They remind me of those from a younger Park Shin Hye - she's gotten loads better. Perhaps when these two get older, they'll do better. But to ask that they do those from What's wrong with Sec Kim is a little overwhelming for the young ones. I guess we'd just have to use our imaginations - and from what I've read so far, it can run quite the gamut. Keke.

Netflix has eps up till 43 i think, at least on my screen...A Youtube one has eps till 46 ...

But the pacing seems to be the same .... I've seen nothing new yet. Where would I be able to see 47/48? (gahhh...i keep asking these questions....sorry)

Are you all sure that those scenes are their wedding? Because in manga we have a prom at the end. So I think if this drama stick so close to manga maybe this isn't wedding scene but prom scenes. And you can see from photos that there are people from school not her parents and so on...

4 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

Watched the raws today and

Hide contents

they took away amnesia to give us this richard simmons? Suddenly SC forgot everything she said about fighting for their love and apparently we needed all those flashbacks for her to remember? 

Give me back amnesia plot and get rid of this! Or better, give ME amnesia! What did I just watch T_T

sorry rant over. Just holding on till the wedding :|

Spoiler

@insertusernamehereikr!! That whole part beginning with DMS’ mum not showing up to dinner to the door break up made me roll my eyes. Although the flashbacks were most of my favourite moments, I wasn’t emotionally connecting with the arc because of how many times I’ve seen SC wavering. It should have been straight to the hunger strike! 

I understand why they kept the hunger strike in though. That really showed DMS and SC at their best, displaying the same resolve and mettle (eventually... when she’s not forgetting all the stuff he’s ever done for her). Also, they need the strike to break down DMF, because they’ve deviated from the manga with how they’ve dealt with his her. She’s pretty insane here, but kudos to the actress for doing it so well, she’s really intimidating in her insanity! 

I did let out a laugh at this scene when I saw the pictures of DMF on the wall though. Who puts pictures like this of themselves on the wall?  Haha.

10e0bd3688a8ad9ccf4a4a7ab1741627.jpg

42 minutes ago, rocat said:

The video of DMZ dancing like she owns it is hilarious. The actress is also pretty loud in real life and isn't afraid to do silly things in the name of entertainment. I am just not sure how that fits into the narrative - was she doing that to irritate the mother? 

Like the majority of you, I'm irked by the statue kisses. They remind me of those from a younger Park Shin Hye - she's gotten loads better. Perhaps when these two get older, they'll do better. But to ask that they do those from What's wrong with Sec Kim is a little overwhelming for the young ones. I guess we'd just have to use our imaginations - and from what I've read so far, it can run quite the gamut. Keke.

Netflix has eps up till 43 i think, at least on my screen...A Youtube one has eps till 46 ...

But the pacing seems to be the same .... I've seen nothing new yet. Where would I be able to see 47/48? (gahhh...i keep asking these questions....sorry)

I watch the RAWS here http://www.111drama.com/v/play/47487-1-26.html 

but I’m not sure about subbed. x

10 hours ago, rocky689 said:

What the hell is this? I am dying....

I hope this is part of prom and not the wedding scene. Or maybe we are being trolled, same as the statue kiss in the teaser for the wedding scene. 

It is a cool dance scene but I don’t see how that can fit into the narrative or the mood! :angry:

Also thoughts on 47-48 ....

Spoiler

I felt pacing was weird, 47 was mainly filler, with focus on relationship between XM and XY. Then in 48, all of a sudden full on angst again. Maybe I have too high expectations for the last few episodes :( 

The conversation that SC and DMS had separated by the door was emotional but then I felt that they were circling around the same issues again so it felt like there is little progression/pay off to the angst and we are just filling time until we get to the wedding scene. Also found myself wishing that F3 and XZ can be smarter/take more agency in helping out with the situation instead of just asking SC to convince DMS to eat and let go of the relationship. I saw preview that XZ will put her foot down eventually, if so why not earlier? 

Idk, overall I was let down by these 2 episodes.. maybe I was expecting too much. But here’s hoping we get a satisfying conclusion for the last episode! 

2 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

Hide contents

@insertusernamehereikr!! That whole part beginning with DMS’ mum not showing up to dinner to the door break up made me roll my eyes. Although the flashbacks were most of my favourite moments, I wasn’t emotionally connecting with the arc because of how many times I’ve seen SC wavering. It should have been straight to the hunger strike! 

I understand why they kept the hunger strike in though. That really showed DMS and SC at their best, displaying the same resolve and mettle (eventually... when she’s not forgetting all the stuff he’s ever done for her). Also, they need the strike to break down DMF, because they’ve deviated from the manga with how they’ve dealt with his her. She’s pretty insane here, but kudos to the actress for doing it so well, she’s really intimidating in her insanity! 

I did let out a laugh at this scene when I saw the pictures of DMF on the wall though. Who puts pictures like this of themselves on the wall?  Haha.

10e0bd3688a8ad9ccf4a4a7ab1741627.jpg

Spoiler

Another couple led breakup?????? Say it isn’t so. I thought we were way past that with the Island arc and amnesia fakeout. How frustrating..

6 hours ago, parksooha said:

I read this in drama and suddenly remember that this is happen in MG2001 but not in 2018 :(

This is happen when a thief bragging to SC house and DS come in sleepware

This happened in MG2018 too, though lines are a little bit different. I can't remember what episode (my memory sucks lol) but I'm pretty sure this is in the drama as well. 

This is before DMS decided to move next door to watch over SC. 

•••••••••••••••••

**Btw, this is completely unrelated but just a soft reminder that when quoting a post with photos/videos, pls delete it/them first before replying/posting as per Soompi thread's rules. Something to do with bandwith, etc. 

Archived