[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

19 minutes ago, myinnerbattles said:

i'm getting anxious... i'm not ready to part with this drama yet. my mother is even crazier than me, she's seriously replaying episodes on Netflix like EVERY SINGLE DAY lol 

and we both ship DyShen so hard, although we know it's just gonna break our hearts haha 

btw, i'm upset that many chinese netizens bash SY and the drama, i'm not very familiar with entertainment culture in china, but i really don't get why MG2018 is getting so much hate and so little support... 

Yes, I was very pissed off by the initial response to this drama in China. Most people saw the first episode, could not accept the changes and the drama ended up getting a score of 2.8 out of 10 on a popular drama ratings site. News outlets picked it up and kept spreading news about how everyone thought it was so bad which probably contributed to a lot of people not even giving it a chance. I was also surprised it did not get a primetime slot for a much anticipated idol drama on HunanTV, but then again it might not have been too anticipated since Shen Yue is not at the level to hard carry ratings and the four guys are unknowns. Primetime went to Dilireba's Sweet Dreams followed by Luhan's Sweet Combat which are much more guaranteed ratings winners based on the sizes of their fanbase. Also summer is very competitive, there's at least 3 or 4 really big budget dramas airing at the same time with strong casts. I think word of mouth is helping its appeal internationally though, just hoping it will reach a point where news of its international success will make more people in China give this drama another chance. 

At least there is full on acknowledgement and support from the manga author

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@rocky689 I don’t think it’s fair that people saw 1 episode and immediately judged it based on what they saw. I was suprised when I saw the rating and now I understand why it was low. It was because of those people who didn’t even give it a chance. So upsetting. 

Im happy though that more and more people seems to be liking it. 

I’m watching episode 46

Spoiler

And OMG the rose scene. Sweetness overload! *faints*

I had to hold my cheeks to stop smiling so much! 

Everything is going well. A little too well. I’m scared!!

it was all puppies and rainbows and I LOVED it. 

But, argh! Bollocks. Having looked at next week’s teaser, everything isn’t great anymore. :cry: But maybe this is part of DMS’ secret plan??? 

2 hours ago, cantbreathe said:

I’m watching episode 46

Reveal hidden contents

And OMG the rose scene. Sweetness overload! *faints*

I had to hold my cheeks to stop smiling so much! 

Everything is going well. A little too well. I’m scared!!

it was all puppies and rainbows and I LOVED it. 

But, argh! Bollocks. Having looked at next week’s teaser, everything isn’t great anymore. :cry: But maybe this is part of DMS’ secret plan??? 

It’s out? 

Will go hunt for it later today. Thanks!

6 hours ago, mouse007 said:

It's eerily quiet in here considering MG is ending this week.. are ya'll waiting to watch until all 4 episodes are available on NF? LOL

I am waiting for the NF episodes and trying not to watch any of the videos. However, I will chime in with some random thoughts about the show in general:

1. SY is a great actress for many reasons, but especially for making us believe she did not enjoy kissing Dylan in those first 10 episodes, lol. That must have been a tough challenge for real.

2. One of the reasons why I like the show is because SC is a strong female lead. She doesn't put up with DMS bullying and she has a strong sense of social justice. And, I appreciate that he only falls in love with a woman who is strong and that his attraction is largely based on respect. He can't respect the girls that fawn over him. But, this is why the love scenes seem so strange to me after the necktie pulling scene. She's a strong, modern woman that wants equality and yet after that scene she is not into the kisses and can't seem to say ILY. It's very strange, at least to this American viewer. And, it's not like she even has to worry about him reciprocating her feelings because he has been more than clear that he loves her.

3. They really make Dylan look mature in the show because every photo of him not in the show really looks like a teen. 

4. I was really happy when he finally said he would be fine on his own since he made his first million when he was 18. I get that he has expectations to take over the business, but it isn't like he is without options here to make money.

5. I really don't know what I am going to do when this show is over!? Watch all the previous versions? Wait until this cast has new projects to watch?

31 minutes ago, bccem99 said:

I am waiting for the NF episodes and trying not to watch any of the videos. However, I will chime in with some random thoughts about the show in general:

1. SY is a great actress for many reasons, but especially for making us believe she did not enjoy kissing Dylan in those first 10 episodes, lol. That must have been a tough challenge for real.

2. One of the reasons why I like the show is because SC is a strong female lead. She doesn't put up with DMS bullying and she has a strong sense of social justice. And, I appreciate that he only falls in love with a woman who is strong and that his attraction is largely based on respect. He can't respect the girls that fawn over him. But, this is why the love scenes seem so strange to me after the necktie pulling scene. She's a strong, modern woman that wants equality and yet after that scene she is not into the kisses and can't seem to say ILY. It's very strange, at least to this American viewer. And, it's not like she even has to worry about him reciprocating her feelings because he has been more than clear that he loves her.

3. They really make Dylan look mature in the show because every photo of him not in the show really looks like a teen. 

4. I was really happy when he finally said he would be fine on his own since he made his first million when he was 18. I get that he has expectations to take over the business, but it isn't like he is without options here to make money.

5. I really don't know what I am going to do when this show is over!? Watch all the previous versions? Wait until this cast has new projects to watch?

Dylan is such a hip hop baby, it's fun seeing how different he normally looks from DMS. 

Great points, one of my favorite parts about this version is the memorable dialogue. There are so many parts that people have been quoting and I feel it's like a lot of other cdramas I watch where you come away with nuggets of wisdom that's relevant to everyone's lives.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, mouse007 said:

@Table122000 lol I was also frustrated with the “kiss” SC gave DS. I mean c’mon, the guy is as hot as heck and he’s literally done everything for her. I wouldn’t even be waiting to be asked for a kiss! I’d be grabbing him with both hands and kissing him like crazy (not to mention taking it to the next level! Hehehehehe)

LOL! Yeah, it's hard to believe Shan Cai is still holding back at this late stage in the relationship. And kind of ridiculous when you think about it really. In the real world, those 2 young people would be all over each other! :lol:

On 8/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, rimjayc said:

Guys i think maybe its a chinese cultural thing ? 

The femals are never that expressive when it comes to romance and sharring feelings with their SO ( especialy on dramas and fictions ) the hardest to get she seems the better ? 

Doesnt make sense to me lol 

( especialy how yow the leads can be ... i would be all around him too ! Showing him how mush i apreciat his love and efforts ... bcuz doaming si really did his best till now)

but it seems like a theme thats going on since forever in the chinese/tw dramas

———————

also can i dare to ask for more jealous/possessive ximen ?????? 

I know we have more drama coming with his first love and XY 

but i wanna see him on that state again 

ceasar stares , and acts on that scene were hot and atractive ( and he wasnt even sure really ... he just acted out of instinct and protectivness for XY)

Oh, Yes Please to more jealous Ximen!

On 8/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, cantbreathe said:

I was really annoyed when SC didn’t reply to the ‘i love you’ in the tent too. I mean, come on! It’s so rude. He’s doing everything he can to be with you and you’re still refusing to be open with him. 

I also felt that they could do something with XZ and Lei. It was more from the scene at the hospital where XZ was with F3 and Lei was talking about Jing. I felt that XZ was starting to understand Lei. Also, since she’s supposed to be like the female version of DMS, she would be perfect for Lei. You can imagine her being all hyper and Lei calming her down. Also, she has been such a good friend and she deserves someone who won’t let her down, and Lei is nothing if not the BEST GUY IN THE WORLD (except for DMS. Joint equal. Sometimes. My feelings can be swayed, haha)

I’m hoping the special episode will be like the special episode in ALSB. Like just an hour of them being together. I’d be happy with that. But I’d be EVEN happier with a ten years later sort of thing. Please, please, pretty please! 

I’ve been rewatching ALSB and I gotta say, now that I’ve seen and can appreciate the force of nature that is Dylan Wang, it’s like Hu Yitian (who I used to think was really hot) is really meh now, haha. The bar has been reset. And it’s way too high now, haha. 

Totally agree on the not returning the " I love you". That really bothers me, especially this late into the drama. It would be great if Lei and Xiao Zi got together at the end. Good point about her being a female DS, so they really could be a match!

On 8/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, rocky689 said:

It's not a cultural thing, there are plenty of dramas that are not like this. It might be a problem with idol drama vs adult drama though.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:41 PM, rimjayc said:

Its not ? xD

i really cant recall a ch/tw drama where the girl is as vocal about her feelings/lust as the boy (comedy apart)

also in the original manga sc start being more close and open than in this version 

( she touches him and reaches to him first ! And talk about her feelings too)

but hey if its not cultural ! Then my bad 

still annoying (and not fair for doaming si really)

I would say that part of it is probably cultural, but there are plenty of Chinese dramas that have better kiss scenes.  I don't mind a "sweeter" kiss scene as long as it is DONE WELL. The problem is so many of these love scenes are not done well. 

On 8/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, rocat said:

Lols. Love all of your rxns! 

If we are frustrated watching SC being ultra modest with Si, can you imagine how he must be boiling over inside?

I couldn’t believe she kissed him goodbye on the cheek either. Too chaste.

While it is a cultural thing to behave well and mind manners, it is rather odd for her to do that with the boyfriend cos it seemed like she never really reciprocated his feelings. It felt unsure. After so long too. It was incredulous and I wanted something/someone to kick some sense into her. SC is kinda passive here and when she actually says something important she gets all shouty like during the amnesia part in the hospital. Sigh. 

Hopefully she’d get better in the last part. 

You make a good point. Yes! I totally agree. This coy behavior did not ring true for Shan Cai character at this late stage in their relationship. Frankly, you are right in that when you are in love with your partner, you want to touch them, hold hands, kiss, etc.  To be fair, I would have been OK with a kiss on the cheek for that scene( as unbelievable as that may have been) but the problem for me was she did not even kiss his cheek! It was barely a graze of her lips-it looked like her lips didn't even touch him- air kiss, you know?  If this scene had happened at the beginning of their relationship, it would have made a bit more sense, but not coming here at the end. It did seem weird.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:27 PM, insertusernamehere said:

well all the cultures you mentioned are conservative, so I wouldn't be surprised if the directing of these (TERRIBLE) kisses across c/j/kdramas was intentional. Growing up in Southeast Asia and studying abroad/working in East Asia, I'd say that women in these countries are generally not at all encouraged to openly enjoy intimacy. To be fair, in real life, Asian young adults don't always act so frustratingly chaste like in the dramas, and we've definitely seen improvement when kdramas go cable, escaping possibly conservative restriction of public network TV (i.e. tvn dramas have much better/realistic kisses, for example). I would also say that a lot of my male Asian friends/ex-bfs are terrible at kissing, most likely because their gfs never tell them that they were bad (or when they were good, since they're not supposed to you know, enjoy/not enjoy it). I finished What's wrong with Secretary Kim around the time that I started MG, and really wished Park Seo Joon could just hold a Master Class in kissing for Didi :| (and Park Min Young for YueYue).

Thanks for your insight into the cultural viewpoint about women's sexuality in Asian countries. I have often wondered if perhaps there was an attitude of "nice girls don't" (enjoy sex/kissing) in that part of the world.It is very sad for me to see that type of attitude is still present. I am encouraged when you say that this attitude may be changing, and that the younger women are embracing their right to sexual expression and freedom, without fear of stigma.  

And, Yes Please to an Acting Master Class on kissing by Park Min Young and Park So Joon! I think all the  Chinese actors and actresses would benefit for sure!

On 8/26/2018 at 9:32 PM, bccem99 said:

Is it a cultural thing to talk about getting married so young? Unless I have this wrong, DMS should be 22-23 and SC 20 or at the most 21 - but she is not done with school. Seems very young for elite, college-educated people.

I don't know if it is a cultural thing or not. To me the marriage talk came straight as part of teen romance tropes, and I think it is a device used in many shojo manga, teen dramas, teen books. Teenage girls often fantasize about getting married and what their own wedding will be like, and I think these teen books and dramas will often capitalize on that by having their characters get engaged, married, have weddings. Also, to a 12, 13, 14 year old girl Characters who are 20, 21, 22 years old seem quite mature and adult like, so not an issue when they get married.

The kisses in LoveO2O are also equally as sad and depressing lol. What's Yang Yang got to work with?! Zheng Shuang (who I guess in the remake of Meteor Garden so it's kind of relevant..) dated her co-star Hans Zhang for 5 years so I'm gonna think they didn't stay together for that long with her kissing like a dead fish haha. But yah, goes back to agree with what @insertusernamehere  and some others have said where (even in Kdramas) women are the ones who just have to stand there and not move their lips like they can't be enjoying a kiss and still be a nice girl. 

7 minutes ago, maisquared said:

The kisses in LoveO2O are also equally as sad and depressing lol. What's Yang Yang got to work with?! Zheng Shuang (who I guess in the remake of Meteor Garden so it's kind of relevant..) dated her co-star Hans Zhang for 5 years so I'm gonna think they didn't stay together for that long with her kissing like a dead fish haha. But yah, goes back to agree with what @insertusernamehere  and some others have said where (even in Kdramas) women are the ones who just have to stand there and not move their lips like they can't be enjoying a kiss and still be a nice girl. 

fyi Zheng Shuang was voted worst kisser in China so her kisses have been pissing everyone off since forever. I don't understand how she still lands romcoms when kissing is a requirement. Yang Yang looks like an amazing kisser, it's so satisfying seeing him kissing other leading ladies who actually reciprocate. Shen Yue might end up on those polls as well going by these whack kisses from MG. I just want to reach into my screen and pry her lips open.

Spoiler
8 hours ago, myinnerbattles said:

i'm getting anxious... i'm not ready to part with this drama yet. my mother is even crazier than me, she's seriously replaying episodes on Netflix like EVERY SINGLE DAY lol 

and we both ship DyShen so hard, although we know it's just gonna break our hearts haha 

btw, i'm upset that many chinese netizens bash SY and the drama, i'm not very familiar with entertainment culture in china, but i really don't get why MG2018 is getting so much hate and so little support... 

Hoel really  :anguished:  Why don't they like SY and MG2018? can you explain in more detail, I'm curious :D

As far as I've seen in IG and YTB MG 2018 enthusiasts are big enough, even this will broadcast local TV stations in my country.
Keep the spirit for MG2018 Team, there are still many who support and like this drama

As far as this drama goes I really enjoy, it's like a cure:
1. I finally saw SC and DMS behave like people dating. They have a lot of sweet scenes that I don't find much in the old MG Taiwan and   BBF
2. All F4 members have Love stories, even though I still don't know who will end up with Lei and Mizuo ^^
3. This drama is very good at describing changes in the nature of SC and DMS, they are really growing because of their relationship. Especially DMS, I enjoy seeing how arrogant boys become more mature, responsible, and sweet

Spoiler
33 minutes ago, angelangie said:

@qqbr21 as far as im aware it was because of some ruckus her ex-classmates kick because she deleted them off her weibo contact list, where she lashes right back that they have not contact each other in 800 years so that is why she deleted them and it had nothing to do with her becoming an actress as Shen Yue was a hit before MG, she was already a hit when she partake in 'A Love so Beautiful' with Hu Yi Tian....but MG is happen to widen up her fame more and i guess some ppl didnt like the thought of deleted and they wanted to show off saying hey i know this person!!! :x

Thank you for the information
hmm I wish the best for SY. She is a rookie actress who is starting to be recognized, and I think his acting is good (therefore she immediately became the main character at the beginning of her debut). The people around her are only very jealous . I hope to see SY and Dylan can meet in a new project. I'm also very curious, what if SY has long hair :D

Spoiler

They made DMS wear an ugly richard simmons jacket this episode. Still not as bad as Meizuo, but why??

His tailored coats have been amazing up until now, and then they had to go an give him this jacket with flamenco sleeves <_<

0655424b6ef424e192e5d3f67ee45fbf.jpg

2422cb9e686ab4929d7d5b0baca43ee5.jpg

13 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

me still stuck at ep 30.. haven't moved forward.. how are they treating my lei.. did baby cry a lot?

Not being mean, but even i think she is quite ordinary to look at..

i don't know how much generalization can be done, but when i look at chinese girls at restaurants, buses.. just wherever.. damn! they are pretty.. too too too pretty

i think china and this iran-afghan-pakistan-kashmir muslim belt. are two places full of beauty.. like every girl is pretty.. specially the original muslims.. both men and women.. drop dead gorgeous

oh really. but I just found chinese girls on streets ordinary when I went to Beijing before, like they’re mostly white skinned, slanted eyes and long legged but just average on look.  The country where I find the prettiest girls on streets is Japan, almost all the girls I saw on streets of Japan were really pretty that you’ll look twice

4 hours ago, cantbreathe said:
  Hide contents

They made DMS wear an ugly richard simmons jacket this episode. Still not as bad as Meizuo, but why??

His tailored coats have been amazing up until now, and then they had to go an give him this jacket with flamenco sleeves <_<

Omg, totally agree about that jacket. I was so distracted by its ugliness that it took me out of what was actually happening :confused:

6 hours ago, qqbr21 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for the information
hmm I wish the best for SY. She is a rookie actress who is starting to be recognized, and I think his acting is good (therefore she immediately became the main character at the beginning of her debut). The people around her are only very jealous . I hope to see SY and Dylan can meet in a new project. I'm also very curious, what if SY has long hair :D

Me too! Has anyone else noticed in BTS footage all the female leads are SO uncomfortable and shy and run away? I’ve watched over 30 kdramas and watching the episodes everyone seems SO confident and it executed perfect then I get curious do a YouTube search for BTS and the girls are always so awkward. I watched BTS footage of W-Two Worlds and and the main lead literally ran out of the door after a kiss scene because she was so embarrassed and I watched it in the episode and you would have had NO IDEA she was feeling that way. They are really good actors it’s crazy. 

14 hours ago, bccem99 said:

@bccem99 Hahahaha! I laughed so hard on point #1!! Because how could anyone not enjoy kissing that gorgeous human being right??

and yes I agree on all of your points especially #2. I love that the reasons as to why DS loves SC so much has nothing to do with her looks, intelligence or social class but rather her character. And that is what makes her so beautiful and attractive to him. 

As for point #3, I thought the same! His age shows a lot when you watch BTS or other videos of him on YouTube. Like you can really tell he’s very young. 

7 hours ago, marielou92 said:

oh really. but I just found chinese girls on streets ordinary when I went to Beijing before, like they’re mostly white skinned, slanted eyes and long legged but just average on look.  The country where I find the prettiest girls on streets is Japan, almost all the girls I saw on streets of Japan were really pretty that you’ll look twice

he he.. i thought japanese were very ordinary.. but i was impressed with impeccable dressing.. 

there are a lot of well maintained countries, but man! no one wears clothes like japanese ( a) its actually cheaper than buying from premium outlets in the US and Europe for sure is expensive than US; b) so much variety.. i have never seen so much variety for global brands too in their US factory outlets vs japan; everyone is just always dressed in crisp , pretty, quality clothes)

On 8/25/2018 at 3:17 AM, myinnerbattles said:

hello, i'm new here and needed an outlet for all the feels this show is giving me :blush:

i love everything about MG 2018, especially Shan Cai's family in this version. and of course the new AND IMPROVED (in my opinion) SC and DMS. i've seen the old version, and i never fully understood DMS's affection for SC and vice versa although i loved that show and used to cry whenever i missed a single episode lol but this new version is more relatable and sweet... i don't know how to explain... but the characters are more lovable in this one. 

Welcome! And OMG, same? I was a hardcore Lei-SC shipper back in the days but I swerved lanes here in MG2018, I'm in full gear for AhSi-SC. Lol.

I still like Lei because he's so sweet and everything, but I ship him to myself. Hahaha. 

Archived