[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Meteor Garden 流星花園

kokodus

Hold up! I know I'm late to the #BreakTheHeartsofMG2018FansParty but... I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT DYLAN WANG AND SHEN YUE HAVE DONE SO EXCEPTIONALLY WELL IN THEIR ACTING IN EPISODES 41/42, I'M IN TEARS? 

During the hotspot scene, they didn't really need to say any heartbreaking lines. The way they looked at each other with those longing eyes even before they separate ways spoke so much volume. It's already enough to get me bawling my eyes out. They're literally sitting across each other but it felt like the distance between them is that of Shanghai and London. WHAT A FEELS TRIP THAT WAS. 

I would agree with @feliset, if I didn't know what would happen next, I might've gone crazy waiting for the next episodes. 

Okay, back to the regular programming, I gotta finish the next episodes first til the latest so I could join the fun conversation here again. Just had to swing by to share that I ugly-cried, my eyes are hurting. Lol. 

PS. About that brushing-of-lips kiss type SC gave to DMS before he was dragged to London, I felt like it's because she's shy to just do it like that? Uhm yeah , it's not like she didn't initiate a kiss before but I can understand that she's not really an expressive type of girl. As someone who's also not that affectionate personally, I can feel her struggle. I would've done the same thing if I'm in her shoes, even if internally I wanted to do something more. Lmao. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, marielou92 said:

oh really. but I just found chinese girls on streets ordinary when I went to Beijing before, like they’re mostly white skinned, slanted eyes and long legged but just average on look.  The country where I find the prettiest girls on streets is Japan, almost all the girls I saw on streets of Japan were really pretty that you’ll look twice

Me too!!! I like the beauty of Japanese women.  I'm not into CDrama or Chinese Actresses coz for me they all look the same(no offense)...  But when I saw Shen Yue, she captivated me. :relaxed:

4 minutes ago, feliset said:

Warning spoiler for a future kiss.

Reveal hidden contents

Omg are you kidding me with this closed mouth kiss at the wedding? I’m going to tear my hair out. Come on girl lol.

Whoah there, she's consistent. This time, I'm becoming frustrated now, I don't understand anymore how can she do that, like c'mon? AAaAaaHhhH.

Btw, is this episode 48? 

Spoiler

Jealous SI is my fav si 

i love how everybody is comfortable enough to even tease him about this now haha 

:joy::joy:

Spoiler

ALSO am i the only one who didnt really need this two to have a thing going on ? 

Iknow they hinted at it abit but its just kinda weird ...  ill wait to see the episode i guess 

1 minute ago, rimjayc said:
  Hide contents

Jealous SI is my fav si 

i love how everybody is comfortable enough to even tease him about this now haha 

:joy::joy:

Hide contents

ALSO am i the only one who didnt really need this two to have a thing going on ? 

Iknow they hinted at it abit but its just kinda weird ...  ill wait to see the episode i guess 

I kinda of saw it coming with qinghe and lizhen since it seemed like she took over the sakurako role from the manga. I don’t mind but it’s just weird cause we’ve hardly seen them for like a dozen episodes lol.

so tomorrow is still the hunger strike arc and that’s where DMF will give up and will have no choice but to accept Shancai then comes wedding right.

So with, that I’m just wondering where they gonna fit the bts we saw when DMF is cooking for the couple? maybe that’s after the wedding.

and also that bts where Shancai is sitting, wearing a black dress & crying. has anyone seen that pic of her? I didn’t get the chance to screenshot that one & I’m so curious why is she crying on that pic plus she was dressed up on that one <_<

22 minutes ago, feliset said:

Warning spoiler for a future kiss.

Hide contents

Omg are you kidding me with this closed mouth kiss at the wedding? I’m going to tear my hair out. Come on girl lol.

At least we have Xiyou, but seriously WHY???

9 minutes ago, rocky689 said:

At least we have Xiyou, but seriously WHY???

I feel like it must be on purpose? Cause we’ve seen in BTS that kisses get multiple shots. The director could easily tell her to put more into it. Ugh. This new one looks especially cringe cause he looks like he’s trying to get more out of it from her but she’s like a corpse.

After watching ep 48...... spoiler alert!! 

Spoiler

Finally, for the first time Shancai calls him Ah Si and not Dao Ming Si!!!! :D

Didn't understand what are they talking about in front of Ah Si's room but just look at both of them made me cry :tears:. It's just so painful and sad. 

Shen Yue commenting on the live stream...kids, don't watch what you're not supposed to

Really? is she not embarrassed watching her own lame kisses?

DltIprgUUAAgXX7.jpg

Dylan also commented during the London arc...DMS is so handsome when he runs :joy:

16 hours ago, maisquared said:

The kisses in LoveO2O are also equally as sad and depressing lol. What's Yang Yang got to work with?! Zheng Shuang (who I guess in the remake of Meteor Garden so it's kind of relevant..) dated her co-star Hans Zhang for 5 years so I'm gonna think they didn't stay together for that long with her kissing like a dead fish haha. But yah, goes back to agree with what @insertusernamehere  and some others have said where (even in Kdramas) women are the ones who just have to stand there and not move their lips like they can't be enjoying a kiss and still be a nice girl. 

Oh-the kisses in LoveO2O were terrible! The first kiss that Lang Lang and Zheng Shuang have in his office has to be one of the worst kiss ever! She looked like she was going to vomit and her whole body just screamed "get away from me!" I felt I was watching a woman being sexually assaulted instead of a sweet first kiss between lovers.  It was so distressing for me as a viewer.  Then later on, she just looks like she's enduring his kisses cause, yeah, she's an actress and it's her job. You could practically hear her thinking" How much longer before director yells cut?" I did notice in one scene it looked like she was trying to kiss him back, but she was just terrible at it.  Poor Yang Yang! I agree your on screen partner has got to work with you on scenes. We know the girl is not lacking in real life experience because she's had several high profile boyfriends. 

16 hours ago, rocky689 said:

fyi Zheng Shuang was voted worst kisser in China so her kisses have been pissing everyone off since forever. I don't understand how she still lands romcoms when kissing is a requirement. Yang Yang looks like an amazing kisser, it's so satisfying seeing him kissing other leading ladies who actually reciprocate. Shen Yue might end up on those polls as well going by these whack kisses from MG. I just want to reach into my screen and pry her lips open.

Have to agree with you that her on screen kissing skills are severly lacking. Even when I felt she was trying to kiss Yang Yang back, she just did a terrible job.  And yeah,  YY does look like he's got some kissing skills. After seeing that "wedding kiss" I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with you the Shen You may end up on the "bad kisser" polls if she doesn't work on increasing her skill levels.

2 hours ago, savingemily said:

Whoah there, she's consistent. This time, I'm becoming frustrated now, I don't understand anymore how can she do that, like c'mon? AAaAaaHhhH.

Btw, is this episode 48? 

Agree. SY, come on! You and Dylan have had how many kiss scenes together at this point? Even in BTS, they seem really comfortable with each other and friendly so it can't be that she doesn't trust her acting partner. It's not lack of practice by now either. 

2 hours ago, feliset said:

I kinda of saw it coming with qinghe and lizhen since it seemed like she took over the sakurako role from the manga. I don’t mind but it’s just weird cause we’ve hardly seen them for like a dozen episodes lol.

I'm actually happy that QH and LZ are a couple here at the end. But I agree it's strange and seems forced because it's so just out of nowhere, and the characters have had very little to no screentime during the course of the drama.

2 hours ago, feliset said:

I feel like it must be on purpose? Cause we’ve seen in BTS that kisses get multiple shots. The director could easily tell her to put more into it. Ugh. This new one looks especially cringe cause he looks like he’s trying to get more out of it from her but she’s like a corpse.

You have a very good point! The director has definitely failed at his job. A good director will give guidance and work with the actors to produce the effect he wants. Perhaps it's even more the fault of the director for these crappy kiss scenes since he should have been working with Shen Yue to make things better. This director seems to be heavily involved when he wants to be from what I saw of the BTS from that scene where Shan Cai is looking at her phone and Daoming Si looks over her shoulder. They showed the director actually demonstrating to SY and DW exactly what they should be doing step by step, several times over. You are also correct that the director should have been working with the cinematographer to get better shots for the kissing scenes. I wonder if this cut really was the best shot that they had?  

That being said, i can't anymore with Shen Yue's (lack) of on screen kissing skills. Even for her character's wedding she's standing there like a block of wood with her face scrunched up, bracing herself to endure and totally not responding or reciprocating. It's your wedding-kiss him back for goodness sake! Show us you're in love! 

Sorry for the rant but it's just so glaring to me right now because we can see the contrast now with Ximen and Xiao You kiss scenes, which are way better than this wedding one.

Here are some links to Meteor Garden 2018 discussions in Reddit. They bring up some of the same issues we have discussed here, but man those Reddit users are much more blunt with their opinions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/97pp34/meteor_garden_dont_the_actors_know_how_to_kiss/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/8zv8jq/meteor_garden_and_the_evolution_of_hana_yori_dango/

FYI, according to Reddit forum, Dylan Wang has just been cast as Yang Guo in upcoming new adaptation of Return of the Condor Heroes. Which is the lead role, I guess? It will be interesting to see how he does in historical fantasy drama. 

19 minutes ago, Table122000 said:

Oh-the kisses in LoveO2O were terrible! The first kiss that Lang Lang and Zheng Shuang have in his office has to be one of the worst kiss ever! She looked like she was going to vomit and her whole body just screamed "get away from me!" I felt I was watching a woman being sexually assaulted instead of a sweet first kiss between lovers.  It was so distressing for me as a viewer.  Then later on, she just looks like she's enduring his kisses cause, yeah, she's an actress and it's her job. You could practically hear her thinking" How much longer before director yells cut?" I did notice in one scene it looked like she was trying to kiss him back, but she was just terrible at it.  Poor Yang Yang! I agree your on screen partner has got to work with you on scenes. We know the girl is not lacking in real life experience because she's had several high profile boyfriends. 

Have to agree with you that her on screen kissing skills are severly lacking. Even when I felt she was trying to kiss Yang Yang back, she just did a terrible job.  And yeah,  YY does look like he's got some kissing skills. After seeing that "wedding kiss" I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with you the Shen You may end up on the "bad kisser" polls if she doesn't work on increasing her skill levels.

Agree. SY, come on! You and Dylan have had how many kiss scenes together at this point? Even in BTS, they seem really comfortable with each other and friendly so it can't be that she doesn't trust her acting partner. It's not lack of practice by now either. 

I'm actually happy that QH and LZ are a couple here at the end. But I agree it's strange and seems forced because it's so just out of nowhere, and the characters have had very little to no screentime during the course of the drama.

You have a very good point! The director has definitely failed at his job. A good director will give guidance and work with the actors to produce the effect he wants. Perhaps it's even more the fault of the director for these crappy kiss scenes since he should have been working with Shen Yue to make things better. This director seems to be heavily involved when he wants to be from what I saw of the BTS from that scene where Shan Cai is looking at her phone and Daoming Si looks over her shoulder. They showed the director actually demonstrating to SY and DW exactly what they should be doing step by step, several times over. You are also correct that the director should have been working with the cinematographer to get better shots for the kissing scenes. I wonder if this cut really was the best shot that they had?  

That being said, i can't anymore with Shen Yue's (lack) of on screen kissing skills. Even for her character's wedding she's standing there like a block of wood with her face scrunched up, bracing herself to endure and totally not responding or reciprocating. It's your wedding-kiss him back for goodness sake! Show us you're in love! 

Sorry for the rant but it's just so glaring to me right now because we can see the contrast now with Ximen and Xiao You kiss scenes, which are way better than this wedding one.

agree agree agree..

I've never seen LoveO2O but I just watched a youtube compilation of their kisses. LOL oh god. Now that really is just awful. Too bad she was paired with such an aggressive (in a good way!) kisser because it makes it 100x worse lol.

I'm still so disappointed by this wedding kiss preview. I was starting to believe that the director wanted to show a progression in their kisses and we'd be rewarded with an awesome mutual kiss in the end (like Dylan's improvement from the first few kisses to the kiss post breakup at Ximen's house where he finally moved his lips) But looks like I'm just being too hopeful lol.

Ohhhh the kiss in Ximen’s house was their best kiss for me :wub:

And here I was hoping they’d level it up, since it’s their wedding you know lol 

Or maybe we just saw a tiny snippet of the scene and not the actual/complete version... SC, the guy is ready to die for you, so please give Ah Si the kiss he deserves. Get in there, girl!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Here are some links to Meteor Garden 2018 discussions in Reddit. They bring up some of the same issues we have discussed here, but man those Reddit users are much more blunt with their opinions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/97pp34/meteor_garden_dont_the_actors_know_how_to_kiss/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CDrama/comments/8zv8jq/meteor_garden_and_the_evolution_of_hana_yori_dango/

FYI, according to Reddit forum, Dylan Wang has just been cast as Yang Guo in upcoming new adaptation of Return of the Condor Heroes. Which is the lead role, I guess? It will be interesting to see how he does in historical fantasy drama. 

hahaha thanks for the laugh! That reddit thread about the kissing are my thoughts exactly. "Don't the actors know how to kiss properly? Or do they have to kiss like a kid pressing two Barbies face on face while making kissing sounds and saying "Now kiss"?" Lollll!!!!

I don't need make out sessions or anything, I agree that would be weirdly out of character for this series. But I'm just so tired of the kisses where SC literally stands still with her lips shut while DS advances in. It's so awkward. Ep 33 and the tie pull kiss were the only acceptable ones where she at least moved into the kiss a tiny bit.  @myinnerbattlesI hope you're right that there's more to be shown with that scene. At least I think the meteor room kiss looks ok from what I've seen... :lol:

I just rewatched the ep 4 forced kiss because someone mentioned it on reddit. Oof my heart was racing even though I've seen it a few times already. It's weird to revisit these older eps now that we've seen how far they've come. I can't wait to rewatch from the beginning.

4 hours ago, rocky689 said:

Shen Yue commenting on the live stream...kids, don't watch what you're not supposed to

Really? is she not embarrassed watching her own lame kisses?

DltIprgUUAAgXX7.jpg

Dylan also commented during the London arc...DMS is so handsome when he runs :joy:

I really think Shen Yue kissed that way in the series because of the director’s instruction & choice. because they already had many takes when they do kissing scenes right, so its impossible that the director would not instruct them how they want the scene to come out.

and knowing Shen Yue, even though she’s shy, she is an obedient & professional actress so she would definitely follow how a director wants it to be

I hold my self to not open the spoiler for this week (it's so tempted though)

so I re-read the manga again and also found that DS chase SC for 25 volumes and SC to DS just like 11 vol :joy:

I like DS in meteor garden 2018 but I like SC more in manga

5 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Yikes, another series that's been remade to oblivion. Any idea who the female lead is? She got big shoes to fill and if that poor girl does not look like a fairy goddess, the c-netz will rip her apart like poor Michelle Chen. I'm having a hard time picturing Dylan in a wuxia or fantasy role, but I'm really looking forward to it, he has the bone structure and the kind of facial features that works well in those types of roles.

Archived